Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

hey buddy, I wish they were funny. I like the idea of them being funny. But they're just not funny

mlyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Bloop posted:

Which, to be super clear he doesn't have to do at all, he's just a nice guy that doesn't want to upset other artists

Imagine being so full of yourself that you don't realize Weird Al parodying you is a sign that you made it. It's an honor
Nirvana knew that and was completely on board when Weird Al asked to do a parody of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CannonFodder posted:

Nirvana knew that and was completely on board when Weird Al asked to do a parody of Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Exactly. Kurt even said that was when he knew he had made it as an artist.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

hey buddy, I wish they were funny. I like the idea of them being funny. But they're just not funny

Agreed, but enough about your posts. Weird Al is amazing

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CannonFodder posted:

although according to him at one point in the conversation kurt was like "so, you're gonna have farm animals and polka music and make fun of thr video, right" and he was like "uhhhh actually the main joke is gonna be that no one understands what you're saying :sweatdrop:"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hardware Store is in my personal Top 10 of Weird Al.

I'm not sure I've seen, does he do it live? It puts him in the league of the fast-talking Micro Machines guy

quote:

I miss his mustache though

word

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

although according to him at one point in the conversation kurt was like "so, you're gonna have farm animals and polka music and make fun of thr video, right" and he was like "uhhhh actually the main joke is gonna be that no one understands what you're saying :sweatdrop:"

Which Kurt apparently found hilarious according to Al.

I could certainly see it. Kurt wasn't even a fan of Teen Spirit as the song was intended to be a joke but became a hit.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jose Valasquez posted:

Agreed, but enough about your posts. Weird Al is amazing

"Eat It" remains amazing

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Weird Al also used to be amazing at video recreation back when that mattered. He'd get the actual bar used in "Beat it" or the Gym and loads of the same extras for "Teen Spirit" and really capture the feel of the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FklUAoZ6KxY

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The video for Beverly Hillbillies featured the original band and used the same company for the CGI sequences, mostly because they were literally the only people who knew how to do it at the time

They later went on to create ReBoot

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

mind the walrus posted:

Weird Al also used to be amazing at video recreation back when that mattered. He'd get the actual bar used in "Beat it" or the Gym and loads of the same extras for "Teen Spirit" and really capture the feel of the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FklUAoZ6KxY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvX596FyX40

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

The video for Beverly Hillbillies featured the original band and used the same company for the CGI sequences, mostly because they were literally the only people who knew how to do it at the time

They later went on to create ReBoot

Mark Knopfler also insisted he play lead guitar on the track as a condition of endorsing the parody.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Reminds me of the Richard Pryor sketch that uses genuine Star Wars costumes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJkhEcQ44k

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Mark Knopfler also insisted he play lead guitar on the track as a condition of endorsing the parody.

Lots of artists actively encouraged and assisted Al in his parodies. That was the best part of it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Reminds me of the Richard Pryor sketch that uses genuine Star Wars costumes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJkhEcQ44k
So I was just gonna have to find out that there's a sequel to Bea Arthur's Holiday Special Cantina just floatin' around?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

Lots of artists actively encouraged and assisted Al in his parodies. That was the best part of it.

the reason weird al got the same sets used to film michael jackson videos was because michael jackson was a huge weird al fan and was like "you want to parody me? that is rad, have a bunch of free poo poo"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My favorite Weird Al fact is that he wrote The Saga Begins months before The Phantom Menace came out based entirely on internet rumors. He says he changed a couple of words once he saw the movie, but very little.

Pustulio
Mar 21, 2012
Weird Al amazing work but I think his original stuff is much better than his parody work, "Skipper Dan" is phenomenal and depressing.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jose Valasquez posted:

My favorite Weird Al fact is that he wrote The Saga Begins months before The Phantom Menace came out based entirely on internet rumors. He says he changed a couple of words once he saw the movie, but very little.

Lucas signed it off, too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's the list of people that are universally loved? Fred Rogers, Weird Al, LeVar Burton. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's the list of people that are universally loved? Fred Rogers, Weird Al, LeVar Burton. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Bob Ross

Edit: Robin Williams too

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like weird al even though I don't think he's funny. the laughs just don't come, sorry y'all

I think if you leave out the conspiracy theorists, Tom Hanks is pretty much universally liked

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

no one is univerally loved, but if you remove Fox News chuds then... them, Bob Ross, Carl Sagan, Steve Irwin

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I bet even chuds like Steve Irwin, I'm gonna need proof they don't

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Tom Hanks
Tina Fey

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

I bet even chuds like Steve Irwin, I'm gonna need proof they don't

sure maybe

They definitely don't like Fred Rogers and Carl Sagan though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I bet you could get chuds to like Irwin by stressing that he wasn't above loving with the animals

SirLeigh
Aug 9, 2008

Jim Henson?

Steve Carell might fit on that list.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well this thread got real loving reddit-y in a hurry.

Tax:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What about Angela Lansbury?

A while (years) ago I had come up with the unreservedly brilliant idea of printing up custom targets for the old shootin range, and having pictures of celebrities on them that nobody in the world would want to shoot. I liked Angela Lansbury, and, I believe, Balki for that, but drat Steve Irwin would be perfect.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
When a handful of people say "I really like X" what is it that makes people want to say "no, X is bad". That doesn't even refute the statement or add anything to the discussion. I'm probably just forgetting what actual trolling / flamebaiting is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Posting on Something Awful"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah she seems pretty great I gotta say

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Nah some of us are intersectional feminists

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My (then) 4 year old listened to several Weird Al songs he requested on Alexa, then was thrilled when I told him there were music videos of the same on youtube!

He was extremely tickled by them, but at the end of the first one was confused and asked "Where's the Weird Owl?" :confused:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Glottis posted:

When a handful of people say "I really like X" what is it that makes people want to say "no, X is bad". That doesn't even refute the statement or add anything to the discussion. I'm probably just forgetting what actual trolling / flamebaiting is.

just letting everyone out there know it's ok to not think weird al is funny

it's ok, I'll stand with you against the flaming hordes with their klaxon horns, springy eyeball glasses, and spinning bowties

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

Well, one of her kids were involved with the Manson Family....

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Betty White, Eartha Kit, and Dolly Parton

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ignite Memories posted:

Weird Al is funny in precisely the way saturday night live is not

No overbearing unfunny egomaniac controlling everything with an iron grip, checks out.

Michael Che has blacklisted me from the industry for this post, and is sending his twitter followers to cancel me as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When I was an angry arsehole kid I used to hate Weird Al because I used to rewrite lyrics to songs too (usually about whatever videogame I was paying at the time, iirc), and I was envious as hell that Weird Al was popular and successful doing it and I wasn't.

And speaking of arseholes...

hawowanlawow posted:

Oh poo poo! drat, I guess we're all wrong, then. :ohdear:

What a pity humour is an objective, binary thing. If only different people could like different things!