Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Samovar posted:

The gun in his right hand has two magazines. It's both a bullpup and a full rifle. What the gently caress.
It's a future gun. There's tech you haven't even imagined in that gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Uthor posted:

My favorite Cable gun is from 5-10 years ago where the artists drew a silver Nerf Maverick in his hands.

My favorite Cable gun is the one from Marvel vs Capcom 2 that shoots the (Air) Hyper Viper Beam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOoB6GuKOWQ

I love Cable and it's all thanks to MvC2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Veib posted:

My favorite Cable gun is the one from Marvel vs Capcom 2 that shoots the (Air) Hyper Viper Beam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOoB6GuKOWQ

I love Cable and it's all thanks to MvC2

I love that they went with a look that is absolutely not at all iconic for Cable, but was perfectly contemporary for when the game was new.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Uthor posted:

That's from somewhere in X-Cutioners Song, so Cable's yelling at Stryfe. It's where they meet each other face to face.

Edit: I'm wrong, you're right.

Been doing a read of 90's crossovers with some friends. I've only read bits and pieces of X-Men from that era and it's everything I expected.

this is it, the Scientifically Perfect Picture of Cable

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

too much feet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
leifeld was gone by that point. his marvel superstar phase didn't really last that long.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Endless Mike posted:

I love that they went with a look that is absolutely not at all iconic for Cable, but was perfectly contemporary for when the game was new.

The main antagonist of the first game was Onslaught, they were definitely just grabbing whatever was currently happening in comics as they were developing the game as gospel :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Begemot posted:

The main antagonist of the first game was Onslaught, they were definitely just grabbing whatever was currently happening in comics as they were developing the game as gospel :v:

given the stories from the Capcom-side directors of the Marvel games, they were probably just taking whatever Marvel's ad team was giving them to push

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Cable is a reality warper who warps reality to do two things.

Thing 1: Stop the virus from killing him (Legacy Virus? Technoorganic Virus? I forget what he has)
Thing 2: Any gun or gun-like object he holds works exactly how he wants it to. That nerf pistol the artist snuk in? He was holding a nerf pistol, but reality-warped it into firing explosives.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cable is absolutely an Everyday Carry guy with a reddit account littered with wide-angle photographs of tables covered in dumb sci fi guns. And the knife kept up by his neck! And the little fringe of hand grenades on his giant pauldron! I don´t even hate it, you can tell the artist was having a great time piling on all this stuff.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You aren't allowed to draw a picture of Cable unless you watch the Commando gear up scene first. It's an editorial mandate from Marvel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUa7YK17QP0

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kalli posted:

You aren't allowed to draw a picture of Cable unless you watch the Commando gear up scene first. It's an editorial mandate from Marvel

Or the gear off scene from Beyond Thunderdome, which would last appr. two hours with Cable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kalli posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwn_UfG2spc

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah, fair enough.

Incredible Hulk #207

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Red Bones posted:

Cable is absolutely an Everyday Carry guy with a reddit account littered with wide-angle photographs of tables covered in dumb sci fi guns. And the knife kept up by his neck! And the little fringe of hand grenades on his giant pauldron! I don´t even hate it, you can tell the artist was having a great time piling on all this stuff.

I like the string of artillery shells on his left shoulder, despite all his guns having square barrels so they couldn't use them.

Leifeld gets a lot of crap but, but he obviously enjoyed drawing all that stuff.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I like the string of artillery shells on his left shoulder, despite all his guns having square barrels so they couldn't use them.

Leifeld gets a lot of crap but, but he obviously enjoyed drawing all that stuff.

see i just imagined that as ammo for his even more absurd version of an M202 FLASH

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Alaois posted:

this is it, the Scientifically Perfect Picture of Cable

No, missing a large blade that doesn't quite match the perspective of its handle.

I was into the X comics, as a 14 year old, from X-tinction Agenda through to X-cutioners Song. I certainly managed to pick an interesting period of time to be into comics.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm not a gun guy but I think I'd love to fire this thing once in my life. It looks so ridiculous!

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It mostly looks silly because it's disposable, and designed to be stacked. You can see where the stuff would fold inside it. Some guns come in a box, some guns are the box.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Kalli posted:

You can never have enough guns.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kalli posted:

Has Jeph Loeb ever written Cable. That'd be full circle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

see i just imagined that as ammo for his even more absurd version of an M202 FLASH

Oh, THAT'S what the rocket launcher from Commando was!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Uthor posted:

Yeah, he wrote his solo title from #20 to #39.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

And X-Force at the same time. It's weird looking back but those were my two favorite X-books after AoA.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Uthor posted:

That's from somewhere in X-Cutioners Song, so Cable's yelling at Stryfe. It's where they meet each other face to face.

Edit: I'm wrong, you're right.

Been doing a read of 90's crossovers with some friends. I've only read bits and pieces of X-Men from that era and it's everything I expected.
What the gently caress is going on with the left side of his face (our right)?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the left side of his face (our right)?

That's the inside of his collar thing, but since they chose a color so close to his skin tone it looks like weird growth.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

And X-Force at the same time. It's weird looking back but those were my two favorite X-books after AoA.

For sure, 90s X-Force is actually quite readable for most of the decade! That kind of took me by surprise when I first did a thorough read-through of all the ancillary x-titles a few years back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

For sure, 90s X-Force is actually quite readable for most of the decade! That kind of took me by surprise when I first did a thorough read-through of all the ancillary x-titles a few years back.

For me the golden years of Xforce run from right after AoA, #42 or so, up to just before Counter X. Cable is good for most of that but it falls apart a bit sooner.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

Uthor posted:

Rhyno posted:

There was also that book that made it look like Cable killed all the Avengers on the cover that I didn't read but the books I did read made it seem like that never happened.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

John Francis Moore, the unsung hero of late 90s Marvel

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Alacron posted:

That's the inside of his collar thing, but since they chose a color so close to his skin tone it looks like weird growth.
Ohhh

Doesn't explain the top of his head on that side though,

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm a big fan of the neck wakizashi, myself.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #26 (1942)

Superboy #64 (1958)

Not Brand Echh #9 (1968)

The Amazing Spider-Man Annual #15 (1981)

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #20 (2003)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm a big fan of the neck wakizashi, myself.

His abs are too thick for him to gut himself so he needs it to commit neck seppaku, if he ever violates the laws of 90's bushido.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lama #2 (1945)

Strange Tales #88 (1961)

The Defenders #16 (1974)

Damage Control #1 (1991)

The Amazing Spider-Man Family #3 (2009)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Darthemed posted:

The Defenders #16 (1974)

So, Mojo stole the idea of the X-Babies after all...

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Ygolonac posted:

So, Mojo stole the idea of the X-Babies after all...

Please, Mojo's in the entertainment industry! He didn't steal it. He rebooted it!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darthemed posted:

The Defenders #16 (1974)
The really funny thing is, this is a key event that helped result in Magneto leading the X-Men and New Mutants in the 80's. At his trial, they determined that since most of his worst crimes were from before he was turned into a baby, they shouldn't hold the present-day Magneto responsible for them.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #14 (1942)

Superboy #66 (1958)

Not Brand Echh #9 (1968)

Super-Villain Team-Up #15 (1978)

Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider #9 (2017)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Darthemed posted:

Spidey Super Stories

From a ways back, but as a fry/grill cook I absolutely must have context for this. The first balloon made me shriek in terror, the second made me:psyduck: