Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OnePlus let's you schedule it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Where in the settings can you choose to turn off AOD? I couldn't find anything in the display settings or by searching for "always".

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Sab669 posted:

What does the fitbit do better? I really like my phone's "sunrise alarm", or whatever the feature is called, while on the stand.

Two things. First its silent, which my partner appreciates when she doesn't need to get up when I do(and vice Versa).
It also had a feature where it will attempt detect the best time to wake me (within the time window) based on my heart rate and movement. So I wake up less groggy.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

hooah posted:

Where in the settings can you choose to turn off AOD? I couldn't find anything in the display settings or by searching for "always".
For which type of phone? They're rarely in the same place twice between different manufacturers. On my Samsung, it's a sub-option for the lockscreen.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cardiovorax posted:

For which type of phone? They're rarely in the same place twice between different manufacturers. On my Samsung, it's a sub-option for the lockscreen.

Pixel 3. I seem to just have a toggle in Lock screen for "always show" time and info.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

hooah posted:

Pixel 3. I seem to just have a toggle in Lock screen for "always show" time and info.

Go to Digital Wellbeing, Bedtime Mode, Customize.

Not the most intuitive place for the setting, idk what Digital Wellbeing even does. Maybe I'm not digitally well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

smoobles posted:

Go to Digital Wellbeing, Bedtime Mode, Customize.

Not the most intuitive place for the setting, idk what Digital Wellbeing even does. Maybe I'm not digitally well.

Thanks. That was really buried!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

smoobles posted:

It mostly does poo poo like remind you to stop using your phone every once in a while, like that thing some games do where they tell you take a break every hour or so. It's a "I'm an irresponsible moron and need my phone to babysit me" toggle.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

It also had a feature where it will attempt detect the best time to wake me (within the time window) based on my heart rate and movement. So I wake up less groggy.

Wait what? This sounds amazing. I have a Fitbit Inspire 2, how do I do this?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Two things. First its silent, which my partner appreciates when she doesn't need to get up when I do(and vice Versa).

Yeah! That wake window thing based on heart rate was fantastic. It worked on my Charge 2 but I "upgraded" to a Charge 3 and it doesn't seem to do that anymore. :(

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

topenga posted:

Yeah! That wake window thing based on heart rate was fantastic. It worked on my Charge 2 but I "upgraded" to a Charge 3 and it doesn't seem to do that anymore. :(

My Charge 4 does this too. Why would it skip a generation?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

Bandire posted:

My Charge 4 does this too. Why would it skip a generation?

It's supposed to do it, but I never got it to work on this one.
Edit: holy poo poo. The firmware update to make it do Smart wake was supposed to drop in July/August of this year.
Goddamn the Charge 3 sucks rear end.
Edit 2: It's on the device itself. Not in the app, not on the website dashboard. gently caress. Well whatever. I just love setting/editing alarms on a tiny screen.
*grump*

topenga fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 1, 2021

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait what? This sounds amazing. I have a Fitbit Inspire 2, how do I do this?

For some reason the inspire 2 doesn't support smart wake, dunno why, it's a new device. There are multiple threads on the fitbit community forum asking for it to be added so maybe it will be added through a firmware update.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m not really sure where to ask this but someone shared a Google drive folder with me and I’d like to stop seeing it. How do I get rid of the folder from my Google drive?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m not really sure where to ask this but someone shared a Google drive folder with me and I’d like to stop seeing it. How do I get rid of the folder from my Google drive?

If you never want to see it again, open Drive, hit the Shared tab at the bottom, find the folder, and hit the "..." at the right and click Remove. That'll effectively un-share it with you. Not sure that there's a way to just hide something without un-sharing it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Smart Wake seems amazing for me, finally found a reason to upgrade my Alta HR to a Charge 4.

TY goon above!

This watch stuff also reminds me: wasn't there gonna be a Pixel Watch? Did it get scrapped?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

smoobles posted:

Smart Wake seems amazing for me, finally found a reason to upgrade my Alta HR to a Charge 4.

TY goon above!

Lol I don't want to over sell it. Its only within a time band of 30 minutes, so if you slept like poo poo it's not gonna magically fix that. But I had a really bad habit of waking naturally 10-20 minutes before my alarm, seeing the time and going back to sleep only to be awaken by the alarm and and feeling dreadful. That part it's fixed.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 1, 2021

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I remember in like 2010 there was an iphone smart alarm app where you put your phone on the mattress and it uses vibrations to detect when you are in light sleep. That one worked pretty well for me, so I think the Charge 4's should be good!

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol I don't want to over sell it. Its only within a time band of 30 minutes, so I'd you slept like poo poo it's not gonna magically fix that. But I had a really bad habit of waking naturally 10-20 minutes before my alarm, seeing the time and going back to sleep only to be awaken by the alarm and and feeling dreadful. That part it's fixed.

My solution, and I've tried a lot of poo poo here, is a smart light in an architect lamp pointed directly at my face. It gradually gets brighter over ten minutes, and my alarm is set for ten minutes after full brightness.

I'm almost never jarred awake by my alarm now; usually I wake up from the light alone. Additionally, the narrow cone of light pointed directly at me upsets my partner's sleep much less than a large dawn-simulating clock that fills the whole room with light.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I just realized the Google Play services on my P4XL hasn't updated since October 1st. I've tried restarting, clear cache/storage, and checking for updates, but no dice. Any ideas?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My P5 is the same. The only devices I've had that have updated are non-Google devices.

I wonder if some of the security updates for Pixels are handled by the normal monthly update and it doesn't need to update play services security at often.

Looking at APK mirror, it didn't seem like there was a November patch, so maybe just staggered rollout stuff.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jan 2, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hmm, odd. Also, lately I haven't been able to use Google Assistant to start navigation via voice commands. No matter what I say, it tells me it doesn't understand.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh and the Pixel 4a 5G and Pixel 5 are no longer able to do astrophotography in wide angle. But the thing was bugged anyway as the wide-angle lens apparently can't do astrophotography well in the first place.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/12/29/pixel-phones-lose-wide-angle-astrophotography-in-update/

Most don't seem very upset by it.

I'm still pissed that I can't seem to take a panorama picture in landscape mode on my 3a XL since the last couple of camera software updates.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

XIII posted:

So, I just realized the Google Play services on my P4XL hasn't updated since October 1st. I've tried restarting, clear cache/storage, and checking for updates, but no dice. Any ideas?

My Pixel 3 has a December 2020 Google Play Services update, while my Pixel 5 is still on October.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Got my poco m3 yesterday. As a second phone with a cheap prepaid data plan it's honestly perfect. Huge battery, ir blaster, micro SD, and a headphone jack.

Plus the screen is surprisingly good. This thing easily puts my iPhone 11 to shame.

For the price I can't recommend it enough. The sub $300 champ right here.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

I loved my LG G3 for this when we used to go to the pub. Bar staff wouldn't change one out of like 40 screens to show not Rugby League so just changed them myself.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I've ordered 4 Pixel 4a's at work as they where on promotion through Verizon (99 cents)... Either the QA on them is non-existent, or I had some really bad luck. I've had to send everyone of them back.

#1 had a volume button break minutes after the user activating it - warranty swapped this one with Verizon

#2 warranty replacement for #1 had a partially dead touch screen out of the box. An entire strip of the screen about 1 inch down from the top was completely dead to touch.

#3 had a partially dead touch screen out of the box, similar to #2, but in the middle of the screen.

#4 had a defective speaker out of the box. Worked but was distorted and with very low volume.

Guess I won't be ordering any more Pixel hardware for a while!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, you get what you pay for, right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Not sure if anyone else is having issues getting their favourite podcasts but I suddenly found 3 or 4 that wouldn't play or download. I have now tracked it down to using adguard for a VPN so I guess the hosting for those podcasts has been flagged? Hopefully this helps someone.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I ran into that. (I'm using adguard as a custom DNS) *checks* Looks like it's still doing it this morning. Guess I'll be turning it off and on once or twice a day.

I've been using PIA as a VPN on my main PC and it's been messing with Google services on top of that. So I went to listen to something on Google Podcasts and the search wouldn't work until I turned it off.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I ran into that. (I'm using adguard as a custom DNS) *checks* Looks like it's still doing it this morning. Guess I'll be turning it off and on once or twice a day.

I've been using PIA as a VPN on my main PC and it's been messing with Google services on top of that. So I went to listen to something on Google Podcasts and the search wouldn't work until I turned it off.

Yeah. I'm really annoyed by this. Google services being dead effectively turn a phone into a brick.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

The misses and I both have S8 phones. I am planning on upgrading on T Mobile once COVID becomes manageable.

Should I stay with the S8 line or is there something better? Hell should I look at buying an unlocked phone?

I do play games and use skype for family time...oh and use Gamepass.

I loving hate buying a new cell phone. Its like buying a used car, I just feel dirty after going to a Sprint Store/T Mobile store.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

The misses and I both have S8 phones. I am planning on upgrading on T Mobile once COVID becomes manageable.

Should I stay with the S8 line or is there something better? Hell should I look at buying an unlocked phone?

I loving hate buying a new cell phone. Its like buying a used car, I just feel dirty after going to a Sprint Store/T Mobile store.

If you want a small phone with a good camera, Pixel 4a. $350, excellent camera.

What are you looking for? Do you want a huge phone? Do you care about having a flagship CPU that'll feel fast for many years?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

Just buy two new unlocked Pixel 4a direct from the Google Play store, then activate them on Sprint/T-Mobile?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 7, 2021

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

On T-Mobile, if you're planning on keeping the phones for a while, and if you don't mind big phones, it miiiiiiiiight make sense to get the Pixel 4a 5g. It's $150 more than the 4a, but comes with a better processor and a bigger screen. The 4a is a great phone too though, and 5g currently is irrelevant.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Do any phones that you know of have any kind of built in emergency recovery thats possible with a broken screen? Some kinda blind combination you can input to backup stuff to a computer or something? And if not, why, aside from phones being a detriment to mankind engineered to further hasten our destruction as a civilization?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

codo27 posted:

Do any phones that you know of have any kind of built in emergency recovery thats possible with a broken screen? Some kinda blind combination you can input to backup stuff to a computer or something? And if not, why, aside from phones being a detriment to mankind engineered to further hasten our destruction as a civilization?

How would you make this backup not also a huge security vulnerability?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

You can do a lot with a broken screen android phone since most of them support display over USB OTG as well as have mouse support. With a dock you can hook a phone up to a monitor and mouse. Also if you have adb debugging over USB you can control a phone hooked up to a PC. A friend of mine broke his phone screen and was able to grab a screenshot of the current screen and use adb commands to tap his way to what he needed to get. It's not great but it's possible.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

If you want a small phone with a good camera, Pixel 4a. $350, excellent camera.

What are you looking for? Do you want a huge phone? Do you care about having a flagship CPU that'll feel fast for many years?

Mostly just for playing a few newer mobile games, taking photos of the cats and kids, and browsing this dying fourm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I've been trying to set up chat features on my messages app for a week and it's stuck on verifying number. I've tried resetting it and the carrier services app, uninstalling updates and reinstalling, restarting the phone, but nothing seems to work. Any advice, or another messaging app I can use to talk to people across different services in a group text chat?
Edit: if it matters it's a Pixel 4a on verizon.