Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Can’t you just take the entire frame off like in the NA/NB? It’s so much easier with the top off the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Can’t you just take the entire frame off like in the NA/NB? It’s so much easier with the top off the car.

You sure can, (and I did) but the bolts are behind stuff that's behind stuff and that locks into other stuff. NA and NB tops are child's play compared to the bullshit going on with an NC top.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

ethanol posted:

I think the time has come to part with my Miata, since I’m driving much more in a winter climate for work and I can’t afford to have two cars if one is going to be a more expensive heavy 4wd. It’s been a good 6 year run with it. Question is, how much is it worth. 2008 sport w/ manual but it has a few issues: the top is torn at both the door corners, the wheels are corroding, it needs rear brakes, there’s a scratch/ding on the front left fender. The rear left quarter panel was totally replaced from insurance. 83 k miles. Any ideas on pricing? I’m thinking 6-7k

As long as rust isn't bad on your car you can get the 6-7k easily even with the top issues. Miata and sports car prices period have gone crazy this year.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo never thought I'd say this but maybe the miata has too much power? I was just driving on our ring road and the limit goes from 50 to 80 km/h, I didn't even floor it becaues the asphalt was this kind of greasy, maybe gave it 30%, and when it got to 4k rpm in 3rd, the rear end started sliding :wtc:

Might be the winter tires, although I thought other than the soft sidewall they were generally not too bad. I think a track day is in order to figure out how they behave :getin:

Also talked with some guys who have experience fixing rust poo poo on miatas. Seems like for a bit over $500 they can do the worst bits, including parts of the frame that would mean engine-out. Good opportunity to also do the chattering clutch I've been living with, plus the timing belt, RMS and what not. Probabl gonna get pretty :homebrew: by miata standards but on the other hand, looking at pries of NBs, it seems that mine barely lost any value over the last 5 years or so. Pretty crazy poo poo.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Make sure to replace the slave cyl and the rear main seal when doing the clutch - mine was leaking oil all over my clutch and was the cause for the chattering.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Transmission input shaft seal and bearing plate seals too since they're right there too. Hey look, you've got 'while you're in there- itis'.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BloodBag posted:

Transmission input shaft seal and bearing plate seals too since they're right there too. Hey look, you've got 'while you're in there- itis'.
Cool thanks, that's what I needed. I guess the 2nd gear syncro might also need a refresher.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Hit a milestone this morning on the way into work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nice.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Nice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nice

Blaze it

Hail Satan

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its happened. I've finally got a Miata. 2004 NB with 180,000 miles. Body damage to the front and the top is wore out. But even with a car that so poo poo, it's so so good. I took on a cruise around town the night I got it and had the top down and my hoodie up and it was a blast.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 4, 2021

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Coredump posted:

Its happened. I've finally got a Miata. 2004 NB with 180,000 miles. Body damage to the front and the top is wore out. But even with a car that so poo poo, it's so so good. I took on a cruise around town the night I got it and had the top down and my hoodie up and it was a blast.

Welcome to the club!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm looking forward to the weather getting a little less cold so I'm motivated to get into the workshop and take mine apart for spring.

Here's a question for you though, when I got my NB I babied it until I had time to give it a full service so I knew what sort of state it was in. Once I'd done that I started spanking it and I noticed in 4th about 4k onwards there's an odd kinda metallic ring that's barely noticeable. Elsewhere seems to suggest it's normal but have any of you noticed similar?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm looking forward to the weather getting a little less cold so I'm motivated to get into the workshop and take mine apart for spring.

Here's a question for you though, when I got my NB I babied it until I had time to give it a full service so I knew what sort of state it was in. Once I'd done that I started spanking it and I noticed in 4th about 4k onwards there's an odd kinda metallic ring that's barely noticeable. Elsewhere seems to suggest it's normal but have any of you noticed similar?

Ive had 2 Miata’s, 97 and 95 and they both do this - seems to not cause any issues but I’ve never found the cause, probably just some quirk of the 5 Speed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some guy is trying to build a FreeValve type valvetrain on a BP engine. I think he's had a prototype on a little utility engine but there it was hard to say if it actually did any good, so this will be interesting to follow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ljwk-ByvjI

Coredump posted:

One of us! One of us!

Voltage posted:

Ive had 2 Miata’s, 97 and 95 and they both do this - seems to not cause any issues but I’ve never found the cause, probably just some quirk of the 5 Speed.
I think mine might be doing that too. I'll have to drive it again and pay attention to the gear/revs, the description sounds kind of familiar but I'm not sure it does that at those rpm.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Voltage posted:

My 97 did this and my 2016 does this too. I can/could also hear/heard clunks from both cars coming from what I think is the diff if I don't shift perfectly. I think both are just normal mechanical noise that comes through the lack of sound insulation in these cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
On topic (or at least inline with the current thread title): is 1st and 2nd gear known to be kind of vague and sloppy on the NC 6-speed?

I've only test driven one NC2 recently, so my sample size of n=1 isn't great.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Voltage posted:

Hikaki posted:

My 97 did this and my 2016 does this too. I can/could also hear/heard clunks from both cars coming from what I think is the diff if I don't shift perfectly. I think both are just normal mechanical noise that comes through the lack of sound insulation in these cars.

Thank you for the reassurance, I didn't notice it get any scarier sounding driving it to work and back beating on it a bit on the roads round by my house. I then took it on a 500 mile round trip a few weeks later and again, no change. Still disconcerting to notice a new noise the first time though!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Found a white front clip on Facebook marketplace. Guy wants $175 and I offer $150 and he won't come down. SMH. I told him I'd keep looking and if he changes his mind to let me know. How dumb to not budge $25.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Phone posted:

On topic (or at least inline with the current thread title): is 1st and 2nd gear known to be kind of vague and sloppy on the NC 6-speed?

I've only test driven one NC2 recently, so my sample size of n=1 isn't great.

Having owned a 10AE, an '02 SE, and an' 08 GT with 6 speeds, I found 1 to 2 shifts in all 3 to be notably notchy, almost like I let the clutch out slightly too soon. It got better when I changed to the Ford ATX fluid as recommended at the pointy forums.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 2009 I drove recently the action into 1st and 2nd were vague, but 3rd+ all had a positive clunk into gear. I'll have to see if it was just a one-off and that car was a pile of problems.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Is the NC gearbox the same as the NB1/NB2 6-speed?

Anecdotally, the 6speed in my 10AE makes a pretty noticeable sound (and feels notchy) going from 1st to 2nd. I've no idea when the transmission fluid was changed the last time though...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wibla posted:

Anecdotally, the 6speed in my 10AE makes a pretty noticeable sound (and feels notchy) going from 1st to 2nd. I've no idea when the transmission fluid was changed the last time though...

Isn't it the same one used in the S2000?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rhyno posted:

Isn't it the same one used in the S2000?

No, they are variations of the Aisin AZ6 and aren't interchangeable / don't have many swappable parts. Also included in the shared list are the RX8, FRS/BRZ, Altezza, S15 Silvia, etc.

I briefly looked into it when I realized my car makes enough power to shred the 6spd.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 7, 2021

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BlackMK4 posted:

No, they are variations of the Aisin AZ6 and aren't interchangeable / don't have many swappable parts. Also included in the shared list are the RX8, FRS/BRZ, Altezza, S15 Silvia, etc.

I briefly looked into it when I realized my car makes enough power to shred the 6spd.

Gotcha, I only vaguely remember people defending the NC manual because it was in other good cars.

An it's actual defense, it's a very nice, notchy transmission. I love rowing gears in mine.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Wibla posted:

If it’s sounds kinda like a clop (think like horse hoof maybe is the best way I can think of now to explain it) I’ve heard that on almost every ND. I changed my fluid and I believe the original fluid was in it. I didn’t really notice a difference in the feeling of the shifter but it won’t hurt. Have fun doing it yourself without a lift though lol

Edit: Oops sorry I read 10AE as 30thAE

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 7, 2021

Huttan
May 15, 2013

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do you not have a spare? This is why you have a spare.

I've got a 30th anniversary edition (the orange ones), it only comes with an air pump in the "trunk". No spare, no room for a spare.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Huttan posted:

I've got a 30th anniversary edition (the orange ones), it only comes with an air pump in the "trunk". No spare, no room for a spare.

Ugh, I keep forgetting that a spare is now optional on a lot of vehicles. gently caress that noise.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My ‘18 Civic si had no spare, but room for one! I had to buy a spare after having to get a tow and a hotel room when i got a flat one night, so fuckin asinine that they pull that poo poo to save a buck or boost mileage ratings by .01mpg.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's nothing you can't do with a miata

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Just canceled that new Hummer order

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A few days ago I found my battery pretty weak and it didn't manage to start despite turning over a bit slowly. I charged it overnight and it started right up again.

That said I wanted to actually figure out what's up. I noticed that once the car is running, it's always at 15-15.2v or so no matter what is turned on or how long I've driven. Seems high, but I'm not sure if it's overcharging or the battery is just so hosed.

Also, I wanted to measure the current draw when it's off, but of course when I open the trunk the light turns on. Is the switch in the lock assembly, and/or is there some way to fake it out?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
I used to own and autocross a '96 Miata back in the day, and now, I'm looking at buying another NA model one. I've owned two Miatas in the past. First one was a '91 model that I bought for $3000. After getting into an accident that totaled it, I bought the '96 for $6K back in ~2005 (which was considered expensive, but I wanted one NOWWWW).

Briefly checking out Miata prices in my local area (Orlando, FL), why the hell are Miatas selling for close to 8-10K now? Are the days of buying a clapped out NA for 3K gone? My daily is a Fiat 500 Abarth, and after having it break down, again, I was hoping to pick up a cheap Miata car I can roll around in while fixing the Fiat.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nah. It's my understanding that you should pay ~$4000 in good condition. It's way more than the $2100 I paid for mine but, well, look at my post history in this thread.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mobby_6kl posted:

A few days ago I found my battery pretty weak and it didn't manage to start despite turning over a bit slowly. I charged it overnight and it started right up again.

That said I wanted to actually figure out what's up. I noticed that once the car is running, it's always at 15-15.2v or so no matter what is turned on or how long I've driven. Seems high, but I'm not sure if it's overcharging or the battery is just so hosed.

Also, I wanted to measure the current draw when it's off, but of course when I open the trunk the light turns on. Is the switch in the lock assembly, and/or is there some way to fake it out?

I'd drive to your favorite auto parts store and have them check the battery and alternator since it's free and noninvasive. If they're both fine you probably have a lose or crusty battery cable somewhere and the alternator is having trouble dumping power into the battery fast enough.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'll need to post pics of my heap soon but so far I've ordered:
  • a new Robbins top with glass
  • a rollbar so I don't die
  • a passenger fender in white to replace the damaged panels on mine
  • bumper cover in white to replace the damaged panels on mine
  • used set of OEM headlights to replace aftermarket projectors
  • a front clip that was cut from bumper support to just in front of shock towers.
  • used steering wheel as mine is shot.
Please help :homebrew: :retrogames:

In good news I was able to do some slide hammer work on the damaged core support enough to get the hood to fully close so I can drive around and not worry about my hood flying up.

Dolemite posted:

I used to own and autocross a '96 Miata back in the day, and now, I'm looking at buying another NA model one. I've owned two Miatas in the past. First one was a '91 model that I bought for $3000. After getting into an accident that totaled it, I bought the '96 for $6K back in ~2005 (which was considered expensive, but I wanted one NOWWWW).

Briefly checking out Miata prices in my local area (Orlando, FL), why the hell are Miatas selling for close to 8-10K now? Are the days of buying a clapped out NA for 3K gone? My daily is a Fiat 500 Abarth, and after having it break down, again, I was hoping to pick up a cheap Miata car I can roll around in while fixing the Fiat.

Used car prices shot up over the last year due to people getting off public transport due to covid. At the same time sports cars went up more as its was something people could do socially distanced. I've watch Miata, BRZ, and Corvette prices go up. These days a good condition NA is going to be 4k to 5k.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Hatter posted:

I'd drive to your favorite auto parts store and have them check the battery and alternator since it's free and noninvasive. If they're both fine you probably have a lose or crusty battery cable somewhere and the alternator is having trouble dumping power into the battery fast enough.
Unfortunately I don't see any of the local parts stores offering free testing, but maybe I'll manage to find something. I recently found out an old friend of mine from high school runs a BMW repair shop so maybe he'll be able to help out. The cables and connectors though I should be able to check myself though once it's not so loving cold.

Coredump posted:

Please help :homebrew: :retrogames:
You can be like me and just drive with a busted bumper cover for years

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Told myself last year I wanted a project Miata to fix up. Was set on a 1997 NA for cheap. Well I found one, its just that my brain either forgot or ignored how much fixing up a project would be. Still love this stupid thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mobby_6kl posted:

Unfortunately I don't see any of the local parts stores offering free testing, but maybe I'll manage to find something. I recently found out an old friend of mine from high school runs a BMW repair shop so maybe he'll be able to help out. The cables and connectors though I should be able to check myself though once it's not so loving cold.

Weird, its one of the most common services at Autozone and Advance Auto behind "can you ring this up?" and "could you install these windshield wipers while its still monsooning outside?" Might have to ask though.

Either way, I would expect your buddy has the proper equipment.