Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1347274064335933443?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

My general thought is that Capitol Police aren't very Online

That's a really poo poo line of reasoning. I would assume the CPD would have their own intelligence gathering operations or use the intelligence apparatus of the MPD and/or FBI to determine "Hey a bunch of idiot chuds are calling for heads online, who are gonna be attending this rally. Maybe you should prepare for people being stupid."

There's a difference between rando mcdude on the street not being "very online" and not knowing a bunch of chuds where gonna storm the capitol, and a police force having zero intelligence capability surrounding what they're ostensibly there to do.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It is worth noting that one of the major differences between yesterday and the protests this summer was the lack of federal leadership and response. Barr specifically pulled as many feds from across the country as he could to crack down upon the protests in a show of force, because he is an authoritarian fascist and a major goal of the administration is straight-up white nationalism. Meanwhile the administration actively sympathizes with/encouraged the protests yesterday, and as a result federal manpower and resources were either not available or deliberately withheld from CPD (See for instance how long it took to get authorization for the National Guard to show up). So to a degree, CPD was set up to fail—not that anything can excuse their inability to prepare or respond for the threat, mind you.

stackofflapjacks posted:

My wife pointed out to me yesterday that this is obvious in light of America being a white supremacist nation. White people(and police) don't see other white people as threats, even against available evidence. Even when an armed mob of them are coming down the street, they aren't thinking they are rioters or terrorists, just protestors. Hence the coverage yesterday taking forever to label them anything other than protestors.

This is also true.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Shaddak posted:

About miss Elizabeth:

So she WAS ready after all?!?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

And now they're a meme for being the policing equivalent of a turnstyle. I can't really wrap my head around the entire Capitol Police deciding "yeah let's deliberately make ourselves look incompetent and useless on national tv." Like, I'm more inclined to believe it was a not so subtle nod towards Biden and the democrats regarding defunding the police but even that doesn't tack for me. I do agree that I don't think they were taking this any more seriously then everyone mocking the TD.w posts in gbs for the last 3 months AND they didn't think the white people would give them any trouble unlike those other races.

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 8, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stackofflapjacks posted:

My wife pointed out to me yesterday that this is obvious in light of America being a white supremacist nation. White people(and police) don't see other white people as threats, even against available evidence. Even when an armed mob of them are coming down the street, they aren't thinking they are rioters or terrorists, just protestors. Hence the coverage yesterday taking forever to label them anything other than protestors.

I think this is what I'm trying to say. In quicktweet form:

https://twitter.com/jbarro/status/1347321459878801408

Defenestrategy posted:

That's a really poo poo line of reasoning. I would assume the CPD would have their own intelligence gathering operations or use the intelligence apparatus of the MPD and/or FBI to determine "Hey a bunch of idiot chuds are calling for heads online, who are gonna be attending this rally. Maybe you should prepare for people being stupid."

There's a difference between rando mcdude on the street not being "very online" and not knowing a bunch of chuds where gonna storm the capitol, and a police force having zero intelligence capability surrounding what they're ostensibly there to do.

I think the above covers it. They likely looked at the general panic in the run-up to the 6th, thought "oh these are just online people, the others panicking are just trump-haters", and thought it would be a normal protest.

Midjack posted:

This probably isn’t going to be true anymore.

Agreed. The next four years will likely be about far-right extremism, but at least there will be a presidential infrastructure that doesn't just ignore it.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

facialimpediment posted:

So I'm guessing I'm saying like 90% leadership's fault for not realizing the threat was obvious weeks ago, then 10% the line-officers for being sympathetic. During the mop-up, there was even a cop saying "sure, now you like us" to a journalist. I just think the original sin was leadership not thinking the threat was real.

I agree with this. They could have, and should have, recognized a serious threat days before just based on the right-wing rumblings on the internet. As for the cops who waved people through, they failed so bad that they supported the insurrection; just convict them and make them serve their sentences on a Mississippi work farm.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Stolen from Gbs https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1347312026180349958?s=19

https://twitter.com/grace_panetta/status/1347314570638012416?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Not for long!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Stolen from Gbs

A kinda-lovely thing is that most of the arrestees are getting released on recognizance, banned from DC, then getting a June court date. We really won't know how much time any of these people get, if any, or if they're going to get layered-on charges like these:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1347325120906489860

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

facialimpediment posted:

Agreed. The next four years will likely be about far-right extremism, but at least there will be a presidential infrastructure that doesn't just ignore it.

yeah i can't wait for the 4000-page bill that really ramps up domestic surveillance and detainment

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Quelle surprise.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://gothamist.com/news/trump-fur-ever-costumed-capitol-rioter-son-brooklyn-supreme-court-judge

quote:

His brother, Nachman Mostofsky, is the vice president of the South Brooklyn Conservative Club, and an elected district leader in the borough, who claims to have connections with high-ranking members of the Trump administration. Nachman also attended the rally on Thursday, but said he left before the group entered the capitol.

"My brother did nothing illegal," Nachman told Gothamist. "He definitely was not part of the riot." Asked how he ended up in the Capitol building, Nachman said his brother was "pushed inside."

"You’re full of poo poo. You’re a dishonest person. My brother went as a citizen of America," Nachman continued. "You find me one [Black Lives Matter] riot or one Antifa riot from over the summer that didn’t have way more damage."

The riot left four people dead, including one woman who was shot by police in the Capitol building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewPUMYkaMQ

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

A kinda-lovely thing is that most of the arrestees are getting released on recognizance, banned from DC, then getting a June court date. We really won't know how much time any of these people get, if any, or if they're going to get layered-on charges like these:

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1347325120906489860

Paging rando GIP Lawyers/law dudes/idiots who might know.

Is there any issue with just throwing everything at someone and seeing what sticks except for time/money issues.

So like if a dude got arrested while pissing on Dianne Feinsteins desk, can you throw treason, sedition, trespassing, urinating in public, littering, national monument poo poo, destruction of public property,etc,etc,etc,etc or do judges kinda frown on just throwing everything at a dude to get him punished. Like just throw everything you can think of that you could plausibly make an argument and have evidence for.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The calculus for the republicans is that Trump is dangerous as a president, a massively popular liability they can't control as an ex-president, and immensely valuable as a martyr.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there any issue with just throwing everything at someone and seeing what sticks except for time/money issues.

So like if a dude got arrested while pissing on Dianne Feinsteins desk, can you throw treason, sedition, trespassing, urinating in public, littering, national monument poo poo, destruction of public property,etc,etc,etc,etc or do judges kinda frown on just throwing everything at a dude to get him punished. Like just throw everything you can think of that you could plausibly make an argument and have evidence for.

I mean that is what Prosecutors always do.

Also Capital Police Office just died, so expect a lot of felony murder charges.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Also Capital Police Office just died, so expect a lot of felony murder charges.

pEaCeFuL pRoTeStOrS

https://twitter.com/kristin__wilson/status/1347328325019164680

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I want sedition and insurrection. Things that carry the stink of treason and traitors.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Defenestrategy posted:

Thought that was standard and like half of it disappears when they take a plea deal so they go from enormous potential amount of time down to a lot less.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

"involved in the riots" seems overly vague.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1347327314363904006?s=19

Stolen from Gbs, again. Anyone who is a uniformed member needs a court martial tomorrow and Leavenworth for the rest of their life, or a firing squad.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

lightpole posted:

Thought that was standard and like half of it disappears when they take a plea deal so they go from enormous potential amount of time down to a lot less.

Look I only get in trouble for petty poo poo. I've never been in a situation where the maximum penalty was death for treason and a minimum could be 100$ for trespassing on government property.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Efb

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Back the blue but kill a cop I guess

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

It's well known that Pence's life goal had been to be president. I don't know why he wouldn't push for it. He could get to be the boss for like 2 weeks and list it forever on his LinkedIn.

Edit:. It would make for great trivia too. He could replace william henry harrison as our nation's shortest serving president.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 8, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Trump supporters get the pen and Trump gets off like a rose, well, I never. :ironicat:

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1347327314363904006?s=19

Stolen from Gbs, again. Anyone who is a uniformed member needs a court martial tomorrow and Leavenworth for the rest of their life, or a firing squad.

I would assume this is turbofucked If You're In and do this and could be considered something along the lines of treason if they're made?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

El Mero Mero posted:

It's well known that Pence's life goal had been to be president. I don't know why he wouldn't push for it. He could get to be the boss for like 2 weeks and list it forever on his LinkedIn.

because if he stays tied to Trump he might be able to win an election.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Doc Hawkins posted:

because if he stays tied to Trump he might be able to win an election.

I mean. He overrode the president and authorized the national guard to come in and he also wrote that letter certifying the election results. He's persona non-grata to the chuds now

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CBJSprague24 posted:

Trump supporters get the pen and Trump gets off like a rose, well, I never. :ironicat:

I would assume this is turbofucked If You're In and do this and could be considered something along the lines of treason if they're made?

I would see a lot of Leavenworth in their future if they are lucky.

Possibly a bullet if they are not so much.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Our big, wet president conceded:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1347334804052844550

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"involved in the riots" seems overly vague.

That wording almost sounds like it’s setting up a “fell out of a guard tower at Auschwitz” punchline.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

yeah i can't wait for the 4000-page bill that really ramps up domestic surveillance and detainment

yep

Also the chief of the Capitol Police is resigning.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
kinda ominous ending for a concession video imo

"...our incredible journey is only just beginning."

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

"Demonstrators"
Wow this covid thing sounds bad, someone should look into doing thing about it??
"This is only the beginning" -- awkward way to end a concession video, but he's not wrong.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

he said "a new administration" but he didn't say whose!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

kinda ominous ending for a concession video imo

"...our incredible journey is only just beginning."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBS6P8k4LB8

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Took him almost his entire presidency to sound vaguely presidential. How heavily medicated is he?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

Took him almost his entire presidency to sound vaguely presidential. How heavily medicated is he?

There were apparently some awkward cuts when they removed the ad-libs.

Donnie's been told he has severe legal exposure for all the poo poo yesterday, so he made up a lie about immediately deploying the guard (nope) and etc.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I let that whole video play and my iPad wants to set itself on fire now.

quote:

Demonstrators

AKDIFJCICJCJDIAOAHFHEICNCJDJD

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Icon Of Sin posted:

I let that whole video play and my iPad wants to set itself on fire now.

AKDIFJCICJCJDIAOAHFHEICNCJDJD

wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Didn’t even mention Biden by name and tried to come off as shocked- shocked I say!- by the violence he incited yesterday. I know the Hot Dog Guy from I Think You Should Leave is overused at this point but it was basically the equivalent of that in a speech.

gently caress you, Trump. Your legacy will always be over 300,000 (+5) dead Americans.