Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

PSA:

M1 + SF750 + 3080 = will not close, might be more doable with an SF600 since it doesn't have daisy chain pcie power cables

Lucky gently caress problems... 180° adapters on order...

Still working on tuning but the "new" build I started in July is done :unsmith:

FuzzySlippers posted:

It idles around 50c and pretty quickly jumps to 70c+ while gaming.
70°C under load is absolutely fine. You probably can't drop your idle temperatures unless you want to alter your fan curve, try repasting the CPU, or get a new cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I haven't built a sff case in a decade so good to know. Played cyberpunk and civ 6 for hours tonight with no problems so feeling good about it.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Rhaka posted:

Received the same one! Forgot about that backorder. I now have 2x SF750, which feels like a bit much.

Guess I'll return the one I paid £190 for.

Would you be interested in selling it to me instead? Checked in with my backorder and it won't be in u til May.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Sure, shoot me a PM--mind that shipping things outside the UK might be expensive, though.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

denereal visease posted:

PSA:

M1 + SF750 + 3080 = will not close, might be more doable with an SF600 since it doesn't have daisy chain pcie power cables

Lucky gently caress problems... 180° adapters on order...

Huh that's a tall 3080. What brand is it?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

That's the coveted Tuf 3080 OC, for which I am learning there is currently no way to set custom fan curves for :)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Y'know, seeing that I'm glad the FE had that dumb angled 12-pin power connector.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

denereal visease posted:

That's the coveted Tuf 3080 OC, for which I am learning there is currently no way to set custom fan curves for :)

Tried https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases or Argus Monitor?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Warmachine posted:

Y'know, seeing that I'm glad the FE had that dumb angled 12-pin power connector.

This is the first time I think of that dumbass proprietary cable and go "yeah that makes a lot of sense!" :D

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

lmao UK eBay is now flooded (relatively) with scalped SF750s.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Keret posted:

My hunt for a motherboard and an SF750 are going about as well as I'd expect, so I thought I'd ask about other options:

Looking at PCPartPicker, even if I upgrade to a 3080 I still won't be breaking 500W supposedly — is that enough headroom to justify going with the much easier to find SF600?

As for the motherboard, I've been looking at mITX B550I boards and everyone seems to be using the Gigabyte AORUS one, but that is similarly hard to find. Any comments on other brands' B550I boards, like ASUS or MSI?

FWIW, I run a EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3080 on an SF600 with a PCIE cable splitter since it takes 3 power inputs. I have it undervolted to 900mv@stock speeds.

That bastard still sucks down 320W during benchmarks but I haven't had an issue yet, but my brainworms has made me order the Cooler Master v850 SFX from ShopBLT since it's more available - I'm getting it next week after ordering it last week.

460W BIOS here we come :blastu:

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2021

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

At this rate computers will be gpus with a cpu, ram, mobo module you add to them.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Coredump posted:

At this rate computers will be gpus with a cpu, ram, mobo module you add to them.
Well I was considering going the thunderbolt e-gpu docking station route....

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Coredump posted:

This is literally what the Intel NUC project is about essentially.

(And, thus, under the hood, what the KFC Console is.)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
To be sure, there exists no CPU cooler at 37mm or shorter than can in any way compete with the Noctua L9I, correct? The only other thing that comes to mind is the Engine 27 but I returned that because it was loud as a jet and hotter than the sun.

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is literally what the Intel NUC project is about essentially.

(And, thus, under the hood, what the KFC Console is.)

Replace all computers with KFConsoles honestly, that is the true endgame and pinnacle of human achievement.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Good suggestions, but I was hoping to have the GPU drive the fans directly.

The card is much, much quieter now that it's working correctly, so I'm less interested in setting a custom fan curve now :)

Warmachine posted:

jink posted:

This is the first time I think of that dumbass proprietary cable and go "yeah that makes a lot of sense!" :D
The pcie power boners definitely look real dumb, but the 24pin is actually a minor problem: it's obstructing a fair amount of the 'pass through' portion of the cooler.

Coredump posted:

Zero VGS posted:

To be sure, there exists no CPU cooler at 37mm or shorter than can in any way compete with the Noctua L9I, correct?
Have you checked out the Alpenföhn Black Ridge 2? That might be the only other option. nope 47mm

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The industrial fabricator/mobo combo of the future!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Of the future? That poo poo is the mobo combo of today (assuming you can score a 30(8|9)0)! All hail the big-:dong: GPUs!

You just can't see them 'cuz they're all shoved into tiny rear end SFF cases with risers everwhere.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

denereal visease posted:

Good suggestions, but I was hoping to have the GPU drive the fans directly.

The card is much, much quieter now that it's working correctly, so I'm less interested in setting a custom fan curve now :)

The pcie power boners definitely look real dumb, but the 24pin is actually a minor problem: it's obstructing a fair amount of the 'pass through' portion of the cooler.

Have you checked out the Alpenföhn Black Ridge 2? That might be the only other option. nope 47mm

Amazing post. The fan being stopped got a chuckle out of me!

LOL at GPU size nowadays. It is amazing that we thought embedding a gaming GPU onto the die of a CPU was ever going to work out.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
SF750 in stock at corsair website, get it while it's hot!

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums
the new Silverstone SFX 750W units have a firmware bug where the fan, which is supposed to have a 0-RPM silent mode under low draw, never ramps down after high load. New, fixed units are coming out sometime soon but who knows when with supply atm.

source: Silverstone support and the PSU currently installed in my machine. It’s very noisy so I would avoid these until the issue is resolved. Also the cables suck poo poo

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I'm finally done

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Nice!

Don't forget to plug in your GPU power :ohdear:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just need a case now :shepicide:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Has anyone else using the gigabyte b550i aorus pro had their Bluetooth up and disappear? Just happened to me, I did a bunch of googling and tried reinstalling drivers but windows just straight up refused to see any Bluetooth hardware whatsoever. Eventually I found the same issue in some amazon reviews, which was solved by disconnecting the power and making sure the PSU capacitors are empty before turning everything back on. Weird one.

I'm replacing the board anyway, because neither the BIOS flash nor the clear CMOS jumper work, and I have an issue where when I boot the PC first thing in the morning half of the time the fans spin up but it doesn't boot, so I have to turn it off at the PSU and back on and then it always works the second time. When I turn the PC off and on through the day it works fine, it only has issues when it's been powered off for a while.

I'm still getting the same model to replace it, because if everything worked it would be great, and I've already got my cables managed to exactly where they need to be for the various headers on the board so really don't want to have to tear the whole thing apart, more than I already need to to get the mobo out.

Kikuchiyo
Apr 24, 2003

Shuttle of joy never forget.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Has anyone else using the gigabyte b550i aorus pro had their Bluetooth up and disappear? Just happened to me, I did a bunch of googling and tried reinstalling drivers but windows just straight up refused to see any Bluetooth hardware whatsoever. Eventually I found the same issue in some amazon reviews, which was solved by disconnecting the power and making sure the PSU capacitors are empty before turning everything back on. Weird one.

I'm replacing the board anyway, because neither the BIOS flash nor the clear CMOS jumper work, and I have an issue where when I boot the PC first thing in the morning half of the time the fans spin up but it doesn't boot, so I have to turn it off at the PSU and back on and then it always works the second time. When I turn the PC off and on through the day it works fine, it only has issues when it's been powered off for a while.

I'm still getting the same model to replace it, because if everything worked it would be great, and I've already got my cables managed to exactly where they need to be for the various headers on the board so really don't want to have to tear the whole thing apart, more than I already need to to get the mobo out.

Have the same thing and did the same trick to fix it - only happened after I flashed to the latest BIOS, so not sure if that’s the origin of it or not. Regardless, seems pretty common which is unfortunate given the board is so good

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Nice!

Don't forget to plug in your GPU power :ohdear:

the worst thing is the adapter blocks the GEFORCE RTX light....

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yeah, the Bluetooth on this board is incredibly flaky. Last I heard it was getting some kind of electrical interference with other components. I eventually got it working by power cycling, but even after that the Bluetooth would cut out once every day or two for 10-15 seconds, which is just annoying enough since I am using a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I solved the problem by buying a $10 USB Bluetooth dongle and just forgetting about it, because troubleshooting an intermittent issue like that just causes headaches.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Didn't post my November Zen3 rebuild in the NCASE v5, but here it is. Went from a 6600K and a mini 1070 + ATX to 5600X, 3070 and SFXL to accommodate normal sized GPUs

(November)

(Now)
Man, poo poo is more dusty in <2 months already compared to like 4 years of the 6600K. (now negative pressure due to side exhaust - that 120mm used to be bottom intake under the mini 1070)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 12, 2021

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Finally moved my build into the Sliger CL530. I took a bunch of photos with the intent to write up a build log/guide, which I'll try to do later. Some random thoughts:

• This case is a lot easier to build in than the Node 202
  • Cable management is also easier
  • The case sounds quieter. Not sure if it's because everything runs cooler or if the open vents on both sides reduces the reverberation chamber effect vs. the Node 202
  • The carrying handle is a godsend for moving it behind a TV in an alcove above hip level
  • The way the side panel comes off is incredibly convenient
  • The base plate is probably not really necessary for this case, but I still like it for some reason
  • The hardware kit comes with at least 200% more screws than you can actually use for any reason in this case; why? :shrug:

Here's how it all looks inside now (after I initially thought I didn't have long enough screws to replace the 15mm-thick CPU fan with a 25mm one, until I read that my CPU cooler did in fact come with such screws, and I also used hex head screws to mount the SATA SSD before I found the flat countersunk screws you were supposed to use :v:)

lurksion posted:

Didn't post my November Zen3 rebuild in the NCASE v5, but here it is. Went from a 6600K and a mini 1070 + ATX to 5600X, 3070 and SFXL to accommodate normal sized GPUs

(November)

(Now)
Man, poo poo is more dusty in <2 months already compared to like 4 years of the 6600K. (now negative pressure due to side exhaust - that 120mm used to be bottom intake under the mini 1070)

A Goode Builde

I ordered custom filters from DEMCiflex today, so should hopefully get them late next week. Wonder how dusty mine will get before then.

edit²: oh lol they used my measurements to list a new product in their shop. I have exerted my puny influence on the world!

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 12, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Speaking of cases with carrying handles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYThuRDqdlQ

Hinged radiator mounts are a seriously good idea.

Also at some point they're not that small anymore but it is mini-itx soooo

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Finally moved my build into the Sliger CL530. I took a bunch of photos with the intent to write up a build log/guide, which I'll try to do later. Some random thoughts:

• The case sounds quieter. Not sure if it's because everything runs cooler or if the open vents on both sides reduces the reverberation chamber effect vs. the Node 202
  • The carrying handle is a godsend for moving it behind a TV in an alcove above hip level
  • The base plate is probably not really necessary for this case, but I still like it for some reason
  • The hardware kit comes with at least 200% more screws than you can actually use for any reason in this case; why? :shrug:

Here's how it all looks inside now (after I initially thought I didn't have long enough screws to replace the 15mm-thick CPU fan with a 25mm one, until I read that my CPU cooler did in fact come with such screws, and I also used hex head screws to mount the SATA SSD before I found the flat countersunk screws you were supposed to use :v:)

Nice build! I'm tempted to make the same upgrade from my Node 202 once I can get a 3080 for a sane amount of money over here. Wonder if you can mount a deshrouded 2x slot GPU with 25mm fans strapped to it while still fitting the bottom 15mm fans.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nice build!

What cooler are you using and what temps are you getting? IIRC you're running a 3700x, wondering cause a friend wants to get a CL530 and is considering his cooling options.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Arzachel posted:

Nice build! I'm tempted to make the same upgrade from my Node 202 once I can get a 3080 for a sane amount of money over here. Wonder if you can mount a deshrouded 2x slot GPU with 25mm fans strapped to it while still fitting the bottom 15mm fans.

If you're lucky enough to get a Founders Edition, I would highly recommend this case, given the cooler design of that graphics card.

I bet you could fit a deshrouded 2-slot GPU with 25mm fans, if you install the riser in the 3-slot GPU position (it's installed there from the factory). You can email Sliger to see if they know, or lurk/post in r/sliger.

Romes128 posted:

Nice build!

What cooler are you using and what temps are you getting? IIRC you're running a 3700x, wondering cause a friend wants to get a CL530 and is considering his cooling options.

Here are the specs of my build:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • CPU Cooler: ID-COOLING IS-60 with Noctua NF-A12x25 fan
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 CL16 2×16GB
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM
  • Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SATA SSD
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition
  • Case fans: Noctua NF-P12 redux 1700

The CPU idles in the lower 40s/upper 30s* and peaks just below 75 after extended gaming (e.g. Cyberpunk 2077 for a couple hours). GPU is similar but peaks at 77. This system runs fairly quietly under load, certainly much more quietly than in the Node 202, which also had to have a 15mm Noctua fan for the CPU due to the tighter height limitation.

Another popular CPU cooler for this case is the Noctua NH-L12S. If I had built this from scratch instead of importing parts from the Node 202, I would have considered this cooler as well.

edit: * Finally installed AMD Ryzen Master to get more accurate temperature measurements. I had been using HWinfo's numbers which show the CPU idle temp bouncing up and down every other second between 40-50.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 12, 2021

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I’m having trouble deciding between the nzxt h210 and the cooler master nr200. Any suggestions?

I’ll be air cooling a 10600k, most likely with a noctua u9s. And I have an asus 3070 tuf

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m having trouble deciding between the nzxt h210 and the cooler master nr200. Any suggestions?

I’ll be air cooling a 10600k, most likely with a noctua u9s. And I have an asus 3070 tuf

3070 tuf is 2.7 slots tall and h210 has room for exactly 2.5 slot card( unless you’re willing to hacksaw the PSU cover)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Head Bee Guy posted:

H210 bad nr200 good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Head Bee Guy posted:

The NR200 is going to have much better airflow than the h210.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

CaptainPsyko posted:

H210 bad nr200 good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
NR200 it is. What's the optimal fan set-up? I have a triple-fan Asus 3070 and a noctua U9 cpu cooler. Are bottom-mounted fans unnecessary with that GPU? I'm planning on doing some light-to-mid overclocking in a room that's naturally warmer.