Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tamba posted:

So are the scenes with that flickering effect actually happening, or just Keiichi going crazy? Because Teppei coming back and killing Keiichi with the bat (that should have been at the school?) makes even less sense than Satoko doing it, and that first swing looked like it came from below Keiichi,

while Teppei is huge and should have hit him from above like this

I wouldn't get too hung up on the geometry there; it's pretty easy to get any strike angle you care to with different swings from the wrist, elbow, and shoulder plus the camera angle on a 2-D animation can make it hard to tell the motion in 3-D space. Not sure where Satoshi's bat came from either, maybe it got moved offscreen sometime earlier in the story .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Julias posted:

Thanks When They Cry Wiki...
hosed up that they're denying us keiichi's chad stride

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That was...unexpected. But like...not in a good way.

After the Teppei attack and K1 waking up in the hospital, I was expecting a twist on the Hinamizawa disaster. I mean, that's what they were going for with the fake out, right?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
K1 woke up in the hospital twice now with no indication of that having happened so that's on you. Definitely different circumstances to the mystery this time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The official channel had a stream yesterday, included two early preview screens for the next episode.

Nothing too secret, seems to be a follow-up to the episode 2 scene.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Are they going straight into the 2nd cour or is there a gap?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Going to be a week's break before it returns on the 7th, and the timeslot is moving forward one hour (dunno what that'll do for Funi's time, just worth pointing out).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That was really not very good. I'm still open to the idea that we'll get answer arcs that make some sense of this, but so far it just feels like random twists in a way that the originals didn't. It's effective in the sense that I want to know why this is happening (though that's really just because of prior investment in these characters more than anything to the credit of this series specifically beyond the one scene in the second episode), but ineffective in that I don't think speculating about it is a particularly interesting pursuit at this point. FWIW I think it makes sense that the Hinamizawa Disaster wouldn't have happened since Rika died in a way that wasn't on Takano's timeline, as when Shion killed her, in addition to the massive shitstorm of investigators and reporters who'd be in the area after a cop murdered a bunch of kids. We just don't have any insight at this point into why Oishi would suddenly flip into Hinamizawa Syndrome unless Takano knows she lost under the old rules, is just loving with everything now, and stuck him with the needle. There's no indication that Rika was doing anything to prepare to beat Takano in this timeline though, so if she was behind it, I don't know why she bothered. If it's all just a Bernkastel thing, I think this show's bait and switch is even dumber since tons of people will have no context for why any of this is happening.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 27, 2020

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I can only laugh at how that concluded.

Witch of bad story telling checks out so far, but I'm in for it. Sorry it kind of sucks.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
What I'm looking at so far is Satoko didn't tell CWS to help her, but lied over the phone to Keiichi using the line she used in the real version of the arc where they rescued her. This leaves Teppei still at home, in position to be able to attack and try to kill him as revenge for causing all this trouble, while Satoko did or said something to Ooishi (that the Sonozaki family was behind the death of his friend?) enough to set him off to go and kill Mion, Shion, etc. This fits with the theory that Satoko has been looping for these arcs, along with her killing Rika at the end of the last one, but Keiichi getting the level 5 camera filter during the attack seems like something else is going on? I think there's a consistent framework here but we're definitely missing some pieces still.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

lets get an answer arc dedicated solely to oishi and the minutiae of his day-to-day life

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Step aside Rosatrice, we got CalendarGate theory:

quote:

To start off with, let’s lay some groundwork. We saw someone mention an idea that completely changed the way I looked at the mystery, introducing the idea that it’s possible that nobody in Gou has died yet.

Evidence in favor of the idea that nobody is dying:

Think about everyone who’s died in Gou so far. All of them are only told to Keiichi. With the exception of 2: Rena and Teppei, both of them having the “crazy” filter, and Rena got killed by...a plastic clock to the head. Not exactly the most lethal blunt force weapon. Teppei...actually might just be dead.

Tomitake and Takano’s bodies haven’t appeared once, despite the fact that Tomitake’s body appeared in every single arc and Takano in most arcs.

Keiichi has survived every arc. This should reasonably be impossible, Keiichi’s one job is to die like a lil’ bitch at the end.

There are no post game results confirming deaths like in the original VN or manga. This might be a reason as to why it was made as an anime first, as if it was released as a VN first, the lack of post game results would be incredibly suspect.

Every arc is named “Deception”, making it very likely Keiichi, and by extension: the audience, are being lied to on a deeper core level in every arc.

This evidence seems like it’s too much, and just a little too subtle to be a red herring. But, what reason would there be for nobody to die if the arc just ends and goes onto another fragment?

Well, I would like to present my “blue truth” thesis statement: All 3 arcs are taking place in the same fragment. Nobody dies, because they appear in the next arc. Keiichi’s memories are *(somehow)* being reset back to June and everyone close to him is in on a conspiracy to trigger L5 in him multiple times while making him think it’s still June.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Higurashinonakakoroni/comments/klqras/the_calendargate_theory/

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I'm following up until that last line. Because this doesn't jive with how Rika acts throughout the new iterations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
even before that, rika is in the sea of fragments again, we know this part and you cant say things like 'no one is dying' with that in mind

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly biggest problem with most of these theories isn't even the stretched logic and evidence that makes them up (I mean its not like Higurashi and Umineko didn't already rely on some plot elements that can come off fairly preposterously if you're unsympathetic), its that so far none of them really justifies Gou as a story really. There's still no real thematically compelling reason for Rika to be looping once again.

"This is Bernkastel's origin story lol nanodesu" comes the closest I think but speaking for myself, I felt like I already kind of had enough an idea about that from OG Higurashi and Umineko, and it still doesn't give like a real idea for a culprit or anything.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 2, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the entire statement about mion's emotional response at the end of onidamashi doesn't makes sense with the framing the manga gives for that scene in mind, where she's visibly shedding tears

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Whatever it means (if anything), the main site of the anime updated the base image to this key art (the picture's not new, it just hadn't been on the page before).

It had been the art in the thread's OP prior to now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

They’re not doing a Truman Show on Keiichi, he has a TV and even if they were feeding his TV and radio with fake broadcasting he gos to the city often enough that the conspiracy would have to have the whole city in on it too, not just the village.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think it's actual timeloops still but thinking about it the lack of on-screen deaths is very suspicious.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think it's actual timeloops still but thinking about it the lack of on-screen deaths is very suspicious.

The weird part is so does that wacky theory. It's just claiming that the loops this time are internal to a single shard.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Full preview screenshots are up.

Doesn't look to map to Nekogoroshi-hen from these, at least. In aggregate, though, it looks like it'll be a Rika-focused episode. Maybe the first screenshot means we'll get to see just what happened at the end of Tataridamashi from Rika's side of things?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I do think the idea that Keiichi could be being lied to to some degree and have thought that myself but I don't think he's going L5 since the arcs have repeatedly gone out of their way to show him overcoming his paranoia/bad decision making and saying "actually his perspective was still unreliable anyway" would make that feel really pointless to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nep-Nep posted:

I do think the idea that Keiichi could be being lied to to some degree and have thought that myself but I don't think he's going L5 since the arcs have repeatedly gone out of their way to show him overcoming his paranoia/bad decision making and saying "actually his perspective was still unreliable anyway" would make that feel really pointless to me.
If anything the arcs feel contrived in a way to try and justify some of the bad decision making from the original question arcs and enforce the theme that "trusting in your friends is actually uncool and bad". That's probably the biggest "deception" here.

Like that's probably the goal of the villain or whoever that is behind this to some extent, to attack the core of the original story through these wicked scenarios. Who or why, I don't know. But its been a pretty consistent thing throughout the first three arcs, and even has the accompanying visual motif of Keiichi trying to cross through or open some crazy doorway and only getting punished for it. His front door in Onidamashi only lets in Rena's attack, in Watadamashi its going underground with Mion(?) and then desperately banging himself against that metal door, in Tataridamashi going into Satoko's house only to get ambushed etc. Hell even that goofy episode 6 ending with him going into the ritual shed makes a bit more sense as an artistic decision with this in mind. Some youtuber first pointed this out, but these are all the exact same (metaphorical) door- Keiichi's desire to believe in his friends, open himself up to others etc.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Episode 14: Ooishi was L5 in Tataridamashi. Hanyuu exits (and there was a weird static glow on the cracked part of her horn). The loop is starting later. Rika only finds a shard in the Oyashiro-sama statue instead of the full sword said to be there. She's not doing so hot.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 7, 2021

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

This sucks and they should've just done a straight remake.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Seeing Ooishi in L5 was nuts. Takano and Tomitake just straight up disappearing is still the biggest mystery so far. But who the gently caress is looping as well? Takano? Satoko?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mark new season spoilers, please. >_>

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Straight from Ryukishi:

https://twitter.com/07th_official/status/1347118879722532867

(According to google translate: "From tonight, the cat deception edition will begin.

From here, it's really Hinamizawa that no one has ever seen. Please look forward to it ...! (Ryukishi07)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/07th_official/status/1347214266609278977
Also has a follow-up post where "the highest tension" starts around here. "Is it Rika Furude or you who succumbs first?"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Non-spoiler thoughts: That was my favorite episode of the series so far, and I wish we could have gotten here sooner.

In terms of emotional impact, I feel like that opening justified a lot of the tedium this series has put us through until this point. Yeah it's horrible to watch, but it was one of the only shocking moments so far that felt like it mattered, even though we'd already been told it happened. Particularly coming after an extended break, starting the episode off with a bang like that had a hell of an impact imo.

As for the rest of the episode, it was pretty dark too, but did a good job of setting the stakes for the rest of the series. It's funny because I felt like Hanyuu should have died at the end of Matsuribayashi, but now I hope she comes back.

I'm excited about watching this again.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot I was excited to see the sword come up, since that was a dangling plot thread introduced in a TIPS at the very end of Matsuribayahi. I think it briefly came up in the console arcs (Yoigoshi?), and it may have come up in Rei or Hou and I just haven't seen those yet, but it's still cool to see here that it has a specific reason for existing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 7, 2021

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Regarding that opening scene:

How can Ooishi claw out his neck with his right hand while holding onto Rika with his left arm and still be able to aim accurately?

I do have a more serious question. So is it safe to assume that Ooishi killed Tomitake and Takano in the parking lot before killing everybody else? He did have a bloody bat after all.

At least we're getting some actual answers this time, as well as on-screen confirmation of events that Keiichi missed out on. And hopefully everything will be all new in the future and not the same plot lines we've watched before but with a twist ending.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Sinteres posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot I was excited to see the sword come up, since that was a dangling plot thread introduced in a TIPS at the very end of Matsuribayahi. I think it briefly came up in the console arcs (Yoigoshi?), and it may have come up in Rei or Hou and I just haven't seen those yet, but it's still cool to see here that it has a specific reason for existing.

I've heard it's a console-arc thing, yes. Comes up alongside some of the console-exclusive chars.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

DemoneeHo posted:

Regarding that opening scene:

How can Ooishi claw out his neck with his right hand while holding onto Rika with his left arm and still be able to aim accurately?

while also reloading his revolver

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Why does Ooishi even have the bat?

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This all feels so arbitrary. I'm frustrated but I don't want to stop watching.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

None of the action scenes have made sense in this, starting with Keiichi killing Rena after being stabbed a million times, so I'm not too worried about the tactical realism of Ooishi's rampage. It was just shocking and one of the few things in this series that's made me give a poo poo beyond just relying on nostalgia. As for whether the whole thing is just dumb and arbitrary or not, I still think a satisfying ending could make up for a lot of sins. Until we know if this is all "worth it" though, I'm just going to try to enjoy being in uncharted territory.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I wonder if Takano was after the sword in the tool shed this time.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The sword wasn't in the shed in the second arc either, so we know it's being stolen (probably by the other looper?)

DemoneeHo posted:

I do have a more serious question. So is it safe to assume that Ooishi killed Tomitake and Takano in the parking lot before killing everybody else? He did have a bloody bat after all.

I'm still thinking he attacked Keiichi at the end of last episode. It doesn't make sense for Teppei to be there, but if Satoko is looping and told him that Rika was behind it (and/or gave him L5 drug), he hits Keiichi, who doesn't beat the poo poo out of him, then goes off with the hosed up bat to attack the festival, that explains the bat and the attack of Keiichi.

I do wonder if the sword is what Takano and Tomitake are taking out of the village in the van, but that timeline does make sense.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

GodFish posted:

I'm still thinking he attacked Keiichi at the end of last episode. It doesn't make sense for Teppei to be there, but if Satoko is looping and told him that Rika was behind it (and/or gave him L5 drug), he hits Keiichi, who doesn't beat the poo poo out of him, then goes off with the hosed up bat to attack the festival, that explains the bat and the attack of Keiichi.

I had the same thought at first. But I rewatched the previous episode and that interpretation doesn't square up with what happened this week.

Mostly due to Satoko arriving after Ooishi began killing Rika and the rest. Satoko is already covered in blood (which was depicted as coming from Teppei) when she arrives. The "Ooishi assaulting Keiichi" scenario would imply everything Keiichi experienced after the first blow was all his imagination. It's not impossible for Ooishi to attack Keiichi, get blood all over Satoko, drive over towards the festival, and then Satoko arrives second. It just doesn't seem likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

DemoneeHo posted:

I had the same thought at first. But I rewatched the previous episode and that interpretation doesn't square up with what happened this week.

Mostly due to Satoko arriving after Ooishi began killing Rika and the rest. Satoko is already covered in blood (which was depicted as coming from Teppei) when she arrives. The "Ooishi assaulting Keiichi" scenario would imply everything Keiichi experienced after the first blow was all his imagination. It's not impossible for Ooishi to attack Keiichi, get blood all over Satoko, drive over towards the festival, and then Satoko arrives second. It just doesn't seem likely.

Yeah, there's definitely some timeline wonkiness there. But both attacks used a bat, and Keiichi hallucinating the aftermath of the attack would lineup with him hallucinating everything with the Rena fight after knocking her into the table. Which would explain why he has no chest injuries in the hospital.

A different idea than specifically Satoko looping is that no one else in particular is looping (from the main cast) but there is another Hanyuu type figure who is looping, and is going to different people each loop and making them go L5. If she messed with Rena in the first, Mion in the second and Ooishi (? I guess ?) in the third, that would explain most the weirdness, though not who keeps taking the sword, if we assume they're the one doing that.