Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Badass panel but the Impact font sorta ruins it imo :sigh:

I thought it was a joke, it's formatted exactly like a meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who cares about fonts?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I just realized Jag was still holding his hand up because this all happened so quickly over the last couple pages.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jag confirmed for Castlevania Vampire.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dog Kisser posted:

This is... the beginning of the technique, not the end? It seems very clear from context?

No, I'm pretty sure that was the technique in its entirety. He's just now preparing to do the same thing several more times.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TK-42-1 posted:

I just realized Jag was still holding his hand up because this all happened so quickly over the last couple pages.

The last 15 pages have been like 3 minutes.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Darth Walrus posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that was the technique in its entirety. He's just now preparing to do the same thing several more times.

No? This seems like any proper sort of anime move where they announce the start of the attack with a badass pose and name of the move before you see the fireworks.

This is like looking at the first 3 panels of this page:

And saying that Aesma's Heel is doing gently caress all.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, Jantris really made an oopsie with this dead man huh

Given that Jantris is definitely no-poo poo a dead man in a very literal sense now, I'd say 'yes.'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

skaianDestiny posted:

No? This seems like any proper sort of anime move where they announce the start of the attack with a badass pose and name of the move before you see the fireworks.

This is like looking at the first 3 panels of this page:

And saying that Aesma's Heel is doing gently caress all.

He just carved a massive chunk out of an island with a spectral harpoon-sword, giving one of the greatest living swordmasters (and yes, I can hear Meti spinning in her nonexistent grave when I type that) a much-needed bath in the process. That's not exactly 'gently caress-all'.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Darth Walrus posted:

He just carved a massive chunk out of an island with a spectral harpoon-sword, giving one of the greatest living swordmasters (and yes, I can hear Meti spinning in her nonexistent grave when I type that) a much-needed bath in the process. That's not exactly 'gently caress-all'.

That's the setup. Not the attack.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Darth Walrus posted:

one of the greatest living swordmasters (and yes, I can hear Meti spinning in her nonexistent grave when I type that)

Why would Meti be spinning in her grave when the student she loudly praised, in a panel, is called a great living swordmaster? She'd call him a fool and a monster poisoned by the sword, but she wouldn't claim she didn't train a master of Sword Law.

People really seem fixated on 'haha Incubus is the Bad Student' and not on 'he's the Bad Student because he excelled at the sword to the point that it became his entire being,' and the core of her advice is to Stop Wielding The Sword.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
No, he's a bad student because he's a basically undefeated master of the sword. It is explicit in the text that this makes him crap at cutting, the thing Meti was teaching. However he is great at killing dudes with a sword, an object that is basically a particularly sharp rock when you get down to it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Meti's final examination goal is to have the student lead a simple life of peace.

Meti's teaching methodology is to have the student completely master Sword Art and have them finally realize being perfect at it is useless and you should instead choose the simple life of peace.

Meti is a terrible teacher.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Maya: complete mastery of the Sword Art, travels the Wheel eating noodles.

Truly the better of the students.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
As a master of the sword Incubus can cut anything, except his own thread of fate. Makes u think

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

We all saw Incubus's veins bulging, it was frankly a disturbing level of vascularity. I think it is good that Jaggs is going to drain out some of the extra blood :colbert:

He also tried in vain to get Inky clean with a dunk in the water but it's just going to turn all that water into another gross Incubus pit.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Jagganoth sued into bankruptcy for environmental pollution

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ThaumPenguin posted:

Jagganoth sued into bankruptcy for environmental pollution

Dave is going to be so mad.
Well even more so mad.

Rayuba gets a third sun today mad

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

From the Discord

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Demiurge4 posted:

From the Discord

I would watch this fishing anime.

In it, Allison is in possession of the King's Rod, the only equipment capable of withstanding the Universe Fish's bite.

Gog-Agog is somehow still a gigantic mass of worms.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

There Bias Two posted:

In it, Allison is in possession of the King's Rod, the only equipment capable of withstanding the Universe Fish's bite.

Gog-Agog is somehow still a gigantic mass of worms.

The Art of lying to the face of Fish and having them eat the Worm anyways.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spin the Reel and Laugh at Fish

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Anime is blood. He's gonna drain anime out of Incubus.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Demiurge4 posted:

From the Discord

Dope.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Forgall posted:

Anime is blood. He's gonna drain anime out of Incubus.

Hmm yes... anime IS blood.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Demiurge4 posted:

From the Discord

I need more Catch Six Billion Salmon in my life

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Demiurge4 posted:

From the Discord

There Bias Two posted:

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dave is going to be so mad.
Well even more so mad.

Rayuba gets a third sun today mad

This has me picturing Salami Dave as one of those characters in certain action scenes who is pleading with the Badass Combatants to stop destroying his shop of vases or artifacts or little glass miniatures.

Nooo stop destroying all my land! There's all swords stuck in it, I keep it so orderly! Aaaaaa my priceless city!

You launched Incubus into the water, now it's all Incubus-y! (not to be confused with "Incubussy")

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

Maya: complete mastery of the Sword Art, travels the Wheel eating noodles.

Truly the better of the students.

I dunno, I think being a miserable drunk who lives solely for a revenge that has tormented her for a thousand years and which may involve jeopardizing the universe itself to attain (given current conditions) is not much of an improvement on Incubus.

Meti did warn them that being her student was a bad idea but they did it anyways.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Meti and her students were all bad at their jobs

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Meti did warn them that being her student was a bad idea but they did it anyways.
I can't see Meti managing to sell it as something worse than the month-long life of starvation Incubus otherwise had ahead of him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Meti was teaching sword law in the hope that one of her students would be inspired to invent something better.

Neither of them did but Incubus learned exactly what she was teaching and it's not really fair to blame him just because Professor Meti was offering a doctorate course in "Please Invent Unified Field Theory For Me Because I've Given Up."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

maswastaken posted:

I can't see Meti managing to sell it as something worse than the month-long life of starvation Incubus otherwise had ahead of him.

Oh yeah, I think both Incubus and Maya are extremely sympathetic characters in their apprenticeship. Incubus took the only way out of total abjection and Maya genuinely wanted to save her city. Maya's account of Incubus insists she was the good one and he was evil from the start, but he was a starving child in desperation and burning with an ambition for anything else, she just can't admit that both of them became what they are because they studied Meti's teachings.

The sword is poison.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

It’s fitting that Incubus’s whole thing is giving under ambitious people power. Turning shlubs into studs and all that because he knows first hand what wanting something feels like on a cellular level. How that’s been twisted around over the millennia and whatever he was up to with Jaggahog I’m not sure of. But it seems like he’s genuinely trying to help Ali&co.

I guess you could say he’s a land of contrasts.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s fitting that Incubus’s whole thing is giving under ambitious people power. Turning shlubs into studs and all that because he knows first hand what wanting something feels like on a cellular level. How that’s been twisted around over the millennia and whatever he was up to with Jaggahog I’m not sure of. But it seems like he’s genuinely trying to help Ali&co.

I guess you could say he’s a land of contrasts.

I think his key attributes are a total unwillingness to ever lose and a nihilistic certainty that the only victory is when everyone who can possibly threaten you is very dead. He explicitly says that killing is the only justice in this rotten world - like Solomon David or Mottom or Jagganoth or really, any of the demiurges, he's trapped by his own past. But he's also ambitious enough to realize that he has limitations - and I think he really does, in his twisted way, want Allison to succeed.

My theory is that he wants to be her Meti - he wants her to be Allison ten Incubus, and to overthrow all the demiurges and he gets to hang on as her advisor, and if he taught her everything she knows, she won't be able to defeat him, specifically. Remember that when she told him that what she wanted was power, and if he tried to double-cross her she'd kill him, he seemed proud and happy. Incubus has a really hosed up worldview that has no place for real friendship or hope, but I do think he wants to share it and sees that as a kindness. After all, Meti saved him from the gutter and taught him Sword Law. I wonder what he thinks of her?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I wonder what he thinks of her?

He cared enough to follow her wishes for what to do with her corpse.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mottom- didn't want to be powerful anymore because her role as a "queen" was its own sort of prison

Mammon- wanted to withdraw from the world, hide in his vault and vegetate

Solomon- wants to find someone worthy of taking over his empire, even though his standards are impossibly high

Jadis- very sincerely wants to die

Those four, at least, all want out.

Jagganoth, and I think Incubus, both want to shake up the system. Not necessarily in the same way, and not in ways that would be good for all the people living in the multiverse, but they both want the the status quo to end.

Gog-Agog is insane.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Speaking of Incubus and Maya.

https://twitter.com/IfThenElseOr/status/1338235835662151680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Gog-Agog is insane.