Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

man I am truly being crucified here

oh man, sniped the page again here it comes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

cult_hero posted:

Well, one of her kids were involved with the Manson Family....

your face was involved with the Manson Family....

don longjohns posted:

Betty White, Eartha Kit, and Dolly Parton

:hmmyes:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure I've seen, does he do it live? It puts him in the league of the fast-talking Micro Machines guy

I've heard he doesn't

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

canyoneer posted:

My (then) 4 year old listened to several Weird Al songs he requested on Alexa, then was thrilled when I told him there were music videos of the same on youtube!

He was extremely tickled by them, but at the end of the first one was confused and asked "Where's the Weird Owl?" :confused:

And here is Weird Al saying "Weird Owl" (time stamped 1:51)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBxV7HrYQzg&t=111s

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I could swear there was a movie (not UHF) that was like a semi biopic of him. I can’t tell if I am mixing it up with Private Parts or not but I swear it had a curly haired young Al playing accordion and swooning over Dr. Demento or whatever and being generally awkward.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Jan 7, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

I played the poo poo out of it when it first came out but Niel cicero(sp) mouth dreams album made me appreciate weird al even more. Neil can only maintain one of his songs for a minute before he runs out of creativity and it made me appreciate how Al can craft a full length parody song and album.

The other three mouth albums are full length songs, dreams is sort of a format shift, which I don't necessarily mind but he's put out some absolute belters at full length so I don't think it's a lack of ability.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dialhforhero posted:

I could swear there was a movie (not UHF) that was like a semi biopic of him. I can’t tell if I am mixing it up with Private Parts or not but I swear it had a curly haired young Al playing accordion and swooning over Dr. Dimento or whatever and being generally awkward.

You're probably thinking of the Funny Or Die trailer for the fake movie, "Weird: The AL Yankovic Story"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcNuiri2dV0

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

although according to him at one point in the conversation kurt was like "so, you're gonna have farm animals and polka music and make fun of thr video, right" and he was like "uhhhh actually the main joke is gonna be that no one understands what you're saying :sweatdrop:"

I feel like there is a tryptich you could make with nirvana, weird al, and puddle of mudd.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Coolio had a beef with him for years because of his parody of Gangsta's Paradise. Since he didn't give the ok, but Al got one from his agent.

They eventually made up, and since then Al always directly asks the artist instead of talking to their agents.

I knew about this beef, and it always struck me as hypocritical since "Gangsters Paradise" is just a Stevie Wonder song, "pastime paradise" wearing new shoes.

Weird Al is a charming wholesome dork of a man. Fair enough if you don't like his dorky humour, but the man himself is, (and I choose my words carefully), an adorable sweetiepie.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's the list of people that are universally loved? Fred Rogers, Weird Al, LeVar Burton. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Dolly Parton.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Alex Trebek?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Twitch posted:

He got into a mild beef with Lady Gaga because she didn't want him doing a parody of one of her songs, which isn't really that bad, and I say that as someone who likes Lady Gaga alright.

i dont know how that keeps happening because he always asks for permission. they say yes he makes the song then they get mad. coolio eminem and gaga have all done this.

keanu seems well liked. mostly because he had some public tradegies and is very apolitical

snergle has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Jan 7, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I think Robbin Williams might have been up there. Not spot free nor in the same vein, but up there.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Robin Williams was hated by the comics he stole jokes from. Some clubs installed special signals to let comics onstage know that Williams had entered the crowd so they could avoid doing any new material.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The other three mouth albums are full length songs, dreams is sort of a format shift, which I don't necessarily mind but he's put out some absolute belters at full length so I don't think it's a lack of ability.

Also they're doing different poo poo. Weird Al is writing and singing new lyrics to an existing song (and he's really perfectionistic about the writing, and it pays off). Neil C is chopping up the music and vocal tracks from one or more existing songs, which is inherently more limiting.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

dialhforhero posted:

I could swear there was a movie (not UHF) that was like a semi biopic of him. I can’t tell if I am mixing it up with Private Parts or not but I swear it had a curly haired young Al playing accordion and swooning over Dr. Demento or whatever and being generally awkward.

Did you mean The Compleat Al?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Animal-Mother posted:

Robin Williams was hated by the comics he stole jokes from. Some clubs installed special signals to let comics onstage know that Williams had entered the crowd so they could avoid doing any new material.

ehhh, "hated" might be a stretch. They knew he had a crazy ADHD mind that absorbed everything he saw and spewed it out, he couldn't help himself and both he and other comics acknowledged that. They certainly reacted the way you said, but I don't think they hated him for it. Compare with a real joke thief like Carlos Mencia, who every comic hates with a passion. (George Lopez recounted a story where a club manager told him "why should I hire you, I can hire Mencia and get the same jokes for half the price")

There's lots of people who were universally loved and then fell from grace... I wonder if there's anyone who went the other way? Guy Fieri and the Insane Clown Posse were jokes at the beginning, and turned out to be great people.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Robin Williams also got way better when he quit being a stand up comedian and just stuck to acting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Quit trying to make commercial entertainers into modern day saints. Even the best ones like Fred Rogers don't need to be up on pedestals.

It's like when CHUDs had to bend over backwards to make that racist American Sniper piece of poo poo into Captain America, forgetting that's why we have Captain America. That's why the Catholic Church usually doesn't make people saints until they're already dead.

Tax:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah there's a reason you used to only have dead people on stamps. Otherwise you'd end up with OJ Simpson and Jimmy Saville on a stamp.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Quit trying to make commercial entertainers into modern day saints. Even the best ones like Fred Rogers don't need to be up on pedestals.

:agreed:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one's making them saints. Well, maybe some people are but we're all just naming people that are mostly universally loved. But, this is the funny pictures thread and not the "name nice people" thread so please accept this gif of a horse flipping a pancake to a goat as an apology for the derail I caused:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Ignite Memories posted:

Weird Al is funny in precisely the way saturday night live is not

Hey! SNL has probably as many as 3-5 good seasons! Out of like, 50. (The only time I've ever liked it was when Farley and Mcdonald were in it).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

I'm not sure I've seen, does he do it live? It puts him in the league of the fast-talking Micro Machines guy

No, he's said Hardware Store was hard enough in the studio, and is impossible to do live.

Though one online feature he posted once had a vocals-only version of it which really highlights the harmonizing of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ5ntsruvq8

dialhforhero posted:

What Inceltown said. I haven't seen The Compleat Al since I was a kid but it did the whole jokey biopic approach including videos from his first three albums.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/Ad_Inifinitum/status/1347205357605711872

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like how unconcerned everybody is about that situation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I like how unconcerned everybody is about that situation.

If I ignore them they'll stop kissing me.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

what are you gonna do? eat me?

-quote from eaten capybara

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Killer robot posted:

No, he's said Hardware Store was hard enough in the studio, and is impossible to do live.

Though one online feature he posted once had a vocals-only version of it which really highlights the harmonizing of the whole thing.

Holy poo poo I cannot explain the giddy feeling I have right now

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Killer robot posted:

Wow, that is so much better than I remember it being - and I already thought it was amazing.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Fors Yard posted:

And here is Weird Al saying "Weird Owl" (time stamped 1:51)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBxV7HrYQzg&t=111s
Weird Owl?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wul32cP3_3Y

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Aaaahahaha holy poo poo

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I don’t have any opinions about weird al other than I love the poo poo out of that video.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's the list of people that are universally loved? Fred Rogers, Weird Al, LeVar Burton. I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Your mum. She's a good woman.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao the pelican looks so defeated at the end

also, more evidence that capybaras are the chillest animal on the planet

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also more evidence that pelicans are terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

in the replies