Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Parahexavoctal posted:

....the concept that the building's sprinkler system is new. When were they first introduced? By 1937, they were common enough that Webster could reasonably anticipate his readership to understand...

In-building fire-suppression systems were around for two hundred years by the time that cartoon was published; however, they were not required by code until a hundred years after that, and only then in certain buildings.

I think the cartoon is emphasizing that Mr. Milquetoast's office / building just had a new system installed - and he doesn't trust it.

e: ugh, horrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (January 3, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (February 27, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (October 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (February 7, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (July 8, 1935)

Dark Laughter (July 1, 1939)

“I’m goin’ out on a date with Mr. Bootsie. Ya think I ought to take along a Police whistle and extra money for sump’n like bail or fine or sump’n?”

Mopsy Sunday (October 20, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (April 29, 1950)

“Just a reminder, sis … if you keep on dragging this thing out a few years more, you’ll have me to contend with!”

Dinky Fellas (March 30, 1965)

Wee Pals (March 30, 1965)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set love the idiot light.

Working Daze can't just let him enjoy his game.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix says the quiet part loud.

Cul De Sac isn't in the mood.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 25, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 12-13, 1988)

Robbie and Bobby

(Apr 27, 2018)

(Apr 30, 2018)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Slammy posted:

Obama was 4 years old when this was published.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack gently caress OFF

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack gently caress OFF

"No, we realized that she had no legal ability to make us work at her house and we threatened to sue."

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 26, 1933)

Peanuts (January 10, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 9, 1937)

Out Our Way (November 28-30, 1935)

Toonerville Folks (January 9-11, 1917; spoiler for background racial caricature)

Dok's "Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily..." Duck (May 30, 1913)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The Bloop posted:

There is ten times as much crazy poo poo going on, we just get to see the moomin-centered action

I like to think that the only reason the cops don't go to the Moomins first every time is because Stinky and Sniff have committed crazier crimes so they tend to be the prime suspects whenever poo poo goes down.

gently caress off with this bullshit, Holbrook. I still can't get over how they treat the abusive boss as a saint for "allowing" her live-in slaves to go back to their own homes. This is a very recent development, too, since letting Dethany and Guy (but not Wendy!) go home is the boss's idea of a wedding gift to Dethany.

Evil Mastermind posted:

"No, we realized that she had no legal ability to make us work at her house and we threatened to sue."

That would require Dethany to actually think her toxic workplace and abusive boss are terrible, and we all know what a massive bootlicker she is. :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey is the creation of prolific Japanese artist Q-rais. The titular cat is just an everyday cat struggling through modern. It has no set schedule so I only post it when there's a new one to translate. Occasionally I will translate and post the back catalogue as Classic Cat when it's a slow day at work.

Slap the center of the bottom of the can. Alternately stab a two or three holes across the bottom to let air in and form a cavity that lets the meat slip out.

This is SPAM 101.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Merrily, Merrily, Merrily, Merrily..." Duck (May 30, 1913)

You coulda been a Gold Medal contender, Duck!

I'm not much for sports, but I think this is my favourite sports related trivia.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft
yeah just a shame it's broken and nobody knows how to fix it. have a good presentation with with your unhackable paperweight.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

What gets me about that is that she already has the slides. If she did what he said she'd have to rebuild the entire presentation from scratch with technology she doesn't know how to use. That's a really dumb suggestion compared to just looking up whether modern slide projectors even exist and what do you know, they do exist, and they don't even cost that much.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (November 23-27, 1998)

His vision is augmented.

Reason Vin sucks, # I lost count: trying to trick a bunch of high school kids into murdering their friend.

Also this is the first appearance of the magical pheromones which will become a staple in this comic strip. Enjoy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Slammy posted:

"1965 plus 20, that's 1985... oh :("

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/7/01

Brenda Starr 5/13/45

First strip after V-E Day, as it happens.

Smokey Stover 3/26/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

I thought that Thompson had invented these guys, but no, they were all real except for Uncle Sid. Me, I'm not quite old enough to have been around in the era of local TV kids' hosts, unless you count Bob McAllister on Wonderama on Saturdays.

The urban legend of a kid cursing out Bozo the Clown on live TV is, sadly, unverifiable.

Oh, and if you're wondering what the pun in Count Gore De Vol's name is: Gore Vidal.

Bonus Ad! Tea! Tea! TEA!!!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's bizarre to think that there's a comic themed around its cartoonishly goth protagonist, but it's actually like a propaganda piece about how bosses are our lord and master

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (October 20, 1946)

wow, the fifth panel with the car’s spray is beautiful

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

What gets me about that is that she already has the slides. If she did what he said she'd have to rebuild the entire presentation from scratch with technology she doesn't know how to use. That's a really dumb suggestion compared to just looking up whether modern slide projectors even exist and what do you know, they do exist, and they don't even cost that much.

Yes, but that would require Batiuk putting in effort to research the things he's writing about.

davidspackage posted:

It's bizarre to think that there's a comic themed around its cartoonishly goth protagonist, but it's actually like a propaganda piece about how bosses are our lord and master

It would be one thing if everyone hated the boss's guts and act like working under her is a lovely situation, but everyone just puts up with it. Holbrook says that Dethany's working under Ms. Trellis to learn what bosses aren't supposed to do, but she never acts like it. It's weird because Dethany shows some spine when it's her mother trying to control her life, but she happily accepts whatever abuse her boss hurls at her.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Löfving was a Finnish partisan who is known for his diary that survived for later generations.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Man, her partner is giving her nothing in this round of Talking Points, that's not going to earn any engagement points.

This is very much bullshit, as the son of a (early Gen-X) old guitar guy who did cover songs of dad rock, 90% of all band work is just dicking around in a shittily soundproof basement and smoking weed and maybe playing like three songs from the list you printed out and handed to each band member. And isn't this like still week one of this plot, is the idea that Dustinwriter wants to crank through all of the digs on garage bands before never returning to it so this is just all happening at once?

Oh man, I'm out of practice on detaching from Dustin.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 8, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

oh poo poo everyone it's Steve Kelley with his soapbox and they're here to tell us what's what about those newfangled guitar bands

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Been 20 years since I read Kevin and Kell...surprised how much I remember. First webcomic I got into.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

Also this is the first appearance of the magical pheromones which will become a staple in this comic strip. Enjoy.
I dunno, it's explicitly stated it's very dark and nobody can see poo poo, so they have to rely entirely on their nose.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The other hunters sure, but why can't the deer tell the difference?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Some Guy TT posted:

The other hunters sure, but why can't the deer tell the difference?

Deer are dumb as rocks.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows with a call back to the last Bad Machinery case

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

I feel ya Boss Dharma, every since I went bald I (ironically) have to keep my hair cut short.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 10, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 10, 1999)

Garfield Classic (May 10, 1989)

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh no, their kid is an artist, how terrible and terrifying.

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows with a call back to the last Bad Machinery case

I'm not sure exactly what it is, probably their pale face colour + the only notable shading on their faces being under their eyes:
But it really looks like they're both hella anemic and/or exhausted, perpetually.

Martianposting

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Mr. Boop

Mr. Boop

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Mm. No.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The little Martian. :3:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finlayson, a fabric manufacturer in my town, have been selling Moomin things for some time now, but they are normally quite expensive. Yesterday they were having a 60% off sale. So I am now a bit more Moomin-minded.

(that's a duvet cover, a table cloth and an oven mitt, which is what I originally went in to buy)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how good a friend Wallace is.