Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Weembles posted:

The Man on the High Toilet is an alt-history novel where germany and japan won the war and the USA is split between toilets with poop shelves and high-tech bidets.

Crappy construction: The Man on the High Toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Place your toilet at eye level with the window to maintain dominance with your neighbors.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"the throne"

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Just imagine if thats a German toilet - you'd have an eye-level 'inspection shelf' for your viewing pleasure while brushing your teeth. So efficient !

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:gonk: I don't like where this thread is going.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

By popular demand posted:

:gonk: I don't like where this thread is going.

join us, as we ascend to the great crapper in the sky :getin:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Crappy construction: The Man on the High Toilet

Crapper construction

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

In an alternative universe I'm somehow a fascist, but I still have opinions about construction.

:destiny::itoilet::george:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Excellent thread title

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
The joy of Polish lovely apartments for rent

https://www.facebook.com/chujowemieszkania/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Nope. I have some polish ancestry and I enjoy pickles but I will not be subject to the kitchen cabinet lavatory!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The broken ankle kitchen.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

hello i am phone posted:

Is there a Polish equivalent to, "Don't poo poo where you eat"?

Because in that kitchen, dysentery & cholera are back on the menu

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hello i am phone posted:

Chabuduo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I can’t decide if a squat toilet in the kitchen is more or less bad than a porcelain throne.

Maybe less bad if there’s a cover flush with the floor (hehehe pun), more bad if there is not.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 7, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Platystemon posted:

I can’t decide if a squat toilet in the kitchen is more or less bad than a porcelain thrown.

Maybe less bad if there’s a cover flush with the floor (hehehe pun), more bad if there is not.

I could at least clean up a toilet someone threw, a squat toilet would have to be filled in.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

This is a gentle reminder of rule 14:

There's a bunch of abandoned antebellum houses around here, and I've always thought it was neat how long they last. If the roof stays more or less in tact and they don't catch on fire, they stay together pretty well. I don't know why these guys are failing-earthquakes? Windstorms?

It's mostly due to the fact that houses from that era have very little lateral reinforcement (what keeps buildings from racking sideways or the walls from blowing out); things like interior floors and nails have enough residual strength to tie the building together and keep it from instantly failing, but once they rot or rust away there's nothing stopping the vertical members from buckling or toppling like that

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

hello i am phone posted:

I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this might not be Poland.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

The Chairman posted:

It's mostly due to the fact that houses from that era have very little lateral reinforcement (what keeps buildings from racking sideways or the walls from blowing out); things like interior floors and nails have enough residual strength to tie the building together and keep it from instantly failing, but once they rot or rust away there's nothing stopping the vertical members from buckling or toppling like that

So less sturdy than medieval timber-framed houses. (Article in German, oldest known in Germany.)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

hello i am phone posted:

Actual Water Closet (wardrobe?) rules though

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Looking for some switches for ceiling fans today and came across this crappy product with bad design

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Thats actually a good design, because if you go from off to "low" speed on some poo poo tier ceiling fans, bad things happen because they were never designed to start rotating at anything less than full line voltage.

in industrial applications you use several thousand dollars worth of power electronics to start at full voltage but vary the frequency from 10hz to the full 60.

the twenty dollar wall thing from the hardware store can't do that, so they have to go off-high-med-low to prevent the motors from dying.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

MRC48B posted:

Thats actually a good design, because if you go from off to "low" speed on some poo poo tier ceiling fans, bad things happen because they were never designed to start rotating at anything less than full line voltage.

in industrial applications you use several thousand dollars worth of power electronics to start at full voltage but vary the frequency from 10hz to the full 60.

the twenty dollar wall thing from the hardware store can't do that, so they have to go off-high-med-low to prevent the motors from dying.

Yeah but they could still put that at the top. E: or make it a turny-knob kinda switch or something.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

They still should have arranged the speed switch so high was on top, though. Most people are used to off and high being next to each other, but this way is counterintuitive with max on the bottom, and means you can't just move both switches to off with one movement.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Off is still at the bottom though.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Off is still at the bottom though.

Fair point

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MRC48B posted:

This post is kinda 100% wrong.

VFDs don't use full voltage for soft start, they ramp both voltage and frequency up to the target value.

I'd imagine newer nicer fans use MOSFETs and variable voltage/variable stepped DC voltage output to provide more granular speed control, but the old-school fans this switch was designed for use multiple different sized run capacitors to provide different apparent phase angles for an induction motor, your point about Fast being the first speed may be true though, if the fan needs the fast capacitor and the start capacitor at least momentarily engaged to start the motor.

But all induction motors (without VFDs or similar) need full voltage and frequency to run correctly, and that wall switch absolutely does not change voltage.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jan 8, 2021

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

The Chairman posted:

They're balloon framed. They last a long time, but when they fail, they fail hard. They collapse flat. When my mom was a kid, the "Moane" house was an abandoned property that they played in. That was in the 50's. Many years later, my brother and I still played in the same house up into the 90's. It was a Thanksgiving tradition that my brother and I would come back to the farm and visit the Moane house. It became un-playable in the early 2000's and by about 2010 it fell sideways and was gone. As far as I know, it's still there, rotting away.

Secondary story: Back in about '08, my mom and I went for a walk in the sandhills of ND and ended up on a property that had been abandoned in '45. I know the date, because my grandmother had bought a dresser from the family that year when they left. The house had collapsed sideways. There were dishes and nonsense scattered, but I found an unopened bottle of Watkins vanilla. It had fallen upside-down against a rock and had never had any leakage or water intrusion.

I still have that vanilla. My wife won't let me use it. One day, I'll try. It's mostly alcohol. It should be fine. Or maybe it's poison. If I get terminal cancer, I'll make some cookies with it. It'll keep.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Elviscat posted:

This post is kinda 100% wrong.

VFDs don't use full voltage for soft start, they ramp both voltage and frequency up to the target value.

how they do it varies by application. if you need more torque on startup, more voltage, thus more current.

quote:

I'd imagine newer nicer fans use MOSFETs and variable voltage/variable stepped DC voltage output to provide more granular speed control, but the old-school fans this switch was designed for use multiple different sized run capacitors to provide different apparent phase angles for an induction motor, your point about Fast being the first speed may be true though, if the fan needs the fast capacitor and the start capacitor at least momentarily engaged to start the motor.

But all induction motors (without VFDs or similar) need full voltage and frequency to run correctly, and that wall switch absolutely does not change voltage.

yes it does, pull one of them apart sometime. there are no motor run or start capacitors in those things. no space. plus then you'd need to run two more wires from the fan down to the wall switch.

It uses a triac to do phase control, just like the light side. which is why early LED bulbs didn't work well with dimmers like this.

you are correct that newer ones use dc permanent magnet motors, but those are :homebrew: for most people.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

The high toilet, you say?

edit: curtains match my av lol

HelloIAmYourHeart fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 8, 2021

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

:wiggle:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I had never thought of making GBS threads as an extreme sport before.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I had never thought of making GBS threads as an extreme sport before.

Your diet is probably better than mine.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Hell of a posting setup you got there.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Dillbag posted:

I don't know why, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this might not be Poland.
Yeah, this is 100% China.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

mostlygray posted:

I still have that vanilla. My wife won't let me use it. One day, I'll try. It's mostly alcohol. It should be fine. Or maybe it's poison. If I get terminal cancer, I'll make some cookies with it. It'll keep.

We found a tiny jam jar filled with mercury. We'd pour drops on our palms and roll it around. But I never had the courage to taste it. Lol

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

peanut posted:

We found a tiny jam jar filled with mercury. We'd pour drops on our palms and roll it around. But I never had the courage to taste it. Lol

Are you from Texarkana?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Haha woah it was 1998ish but I can only salivate at the mention 20 pounds of metallic mercury

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Does anyone remember the apartment with the combination kitchen/bathroom/laundry room/entryway? It wasn't just a shitter, it had a glassed off shower (the toilet might have been in or out, I don't remember), and either black walls or a black floor. I'm also not 100% sure it also had a kitchen, but I'm pretty sure it did.
I think it was in china somewhere, but searches haven't been too helpful. Would've been posted before early 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Why does this remind me so much of Half Life 2?