Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What film is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RBA Starblade posted:

What film is this?

Not a film, the last season of Fireball.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
At long last, we finally live in the age of the ultimate cyber slam

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Never forget that Johnny Mnemonic removed permanent memories to fit like... 2 mb of data into his brain when he could've just smuggled the data in his rear end, or put the implant in like his wrist

The rant about wanting a cold mexican beer and an expensive hooker while tucking in his too-short shirt owns

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Johnny Mnemonic is really bad but it’s greatest flaw is it’s not solely about the street preacher

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Johnny Mnemonic is really bad but it’s greatest flaw is it’s not solely about the street preacher

Or the cyber-dolphin

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is Johnny Mnemonic the first American movie with Takeshi Kitano?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
American, yes, though he was in Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence in the 80s, which was an English/Japanese co-production.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ebert's line about remaking bad/disappointing movies instead of classics tends to come to mind whenever I see Johnny Mnemonic pop up. I think having access to better visual effects would help, too.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Ebert's line about remaking bad/disappointing movies instead of classics tends to come to mind whenever I see Johnny Mnemonic pop up. I think having access to better visual effects would help, too.

Ghost in the Shell and Battle Angel Alita were both awful tho (ironically, except for Kitano in GITS).

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
alita would be a flawless movie if the romance got cut. everything else is great

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Marin Karin posted:

alita would be a flawless movie if the romance got cut. everything else is great

The romance is good in the context of the rest of the story. It's dumb teen puppy love, she fell for the first guy who liked her. It's important to show how she grows and matures, how she changes from her experiences and relationships as she becomes herself.

But the movie isn't getting any sequels so people who don't read the manga will never get that context or the rest of the story.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Marin Karin posted:

I'd never seen the original manga, but it 100% lost me the first space basketball scene when I realized she was going to have to play space basketball to save the world in the third act.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Dillbag posted:

I'd never seen the original manga, but it 100% lost me the first space basketball scene when I realized she was going to have to play space basketball to save the world in the third act.

That's handled better in the manga, imo. She doesn't play Motorball until after Hugo dies. She's so messed up from seeing him die she runs away from home, gives up being a hunter-warrior, and supports herself playing Motorball.

I can understand why they decided to merge the two in the movie, though. The Scrapyard arc didn't really have enough in it to make a full movie out of.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I rewatched it over Christmas and while I found it more cringeworthy than when I saw in in the theater, I still really like the character of Alita herself, as played by Rosa Salazar.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The Motorball arc was fun as hell, the manga just readjusts after everything with Hugo and Zapan and turns into an incredibly violent sports rivalry story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

davidspackage posted:

I rewatched it over Christmas and while I found it more cringeworthy than when I saw in in the theater, I still really like the character of Alita herself, as played by Rosa Salazar.

If you haven't seen it yet I would recommend the tv show Undone which stars Rosa Salazar as a young woman who gets into a car accident one day and either starts to go crazy or unlocks the ability to travel in time.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Heh. I admire the audacity. That Van Dam is not Jean-Claude, but wrestler Rob Van Dam

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seagal, of course, spends his ten-minutes of screentime sitting in a chair and walks a grand total of twenty feet by the time the credits roll.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Stop looking at my boner, Segal.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Davros1 posted:

Heh. I admire the audacity. That Van Dam is not Jean-Claude, but wrestler Rob Van Dam

Now where did I put my Sniper-shop...

e:

There we go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What the gently caress is going on with his legs.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

muscles like this! posted:

What the gently caress is going on with his legs.

He hasn't used them in years. I saw a movie recently were be fights two guys while sitting down. He spent like the majority of the movie sitting or driving (sitting) except for when he flops over into his love interest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzIHyF7UWY4

Someone added the clips to a Cumtown discussion about his recent work, and it's all you need to know.

(Content warning because it's CT so they probably throw around words you can't use on here with abandon).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFDEOi_hDmI
Ralphthemoviemaker has a pretty good video about how lovely Seagal's movies have gotten, mostly focusing on "China Salesman" but touching on others. (He also talks about Sniper)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Davros1 posted:

This has the look of a movie that was filmed in exactly two indoor settings, and one of those is definitely an abandoned warehouse.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Was Seagal ever good?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
No

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Horsebanger posted:

Was Seagal ever good?

No, but Under Siege was good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBz6d2VPgZw

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not sure how that scene was meant to illustrate that

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The only good Steven Seagal movie is Executive Decision because he dies like 20 minutes in and it's actually a Kurt Russell movie

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well, he was alright for the bullshit he did back in the 80s. Then he got up his own rear end. Or maybe he was always up his own rear end but as a kid I never turned down watching his movies if they came on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbLh7iNQFWU

Bonus Rooker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is that he was always up his own rear end but early movies couldn't do anything about it and once he got a couple hits in he burned all his bridges pretty quickly by making demands about everything.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Additionally, while serving as stunt coordinator for Out for Justice, Gene LeBell allegedly got into an on-set altercation with Seagal over his mistreatment of some of the film's stunt performers. After the actor claimed that due to his aikido training he was 'immune' to being choked unconscious, LeBell offered Seagal the opportunity to prove it. LeBell is said to have placed his arms around Seagal's neck, and once Seagal said "go", proceeded to choke him unconscious, with Seagal losing control of his bowels.[81]

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He's also considered one of the worst SNL hosts, a prima donna that had no idea how to be funny and suggested a sketch in which he raped a female cast member.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like the one where he wakes up from a three year coma and beats people up from his hospital bed

edit: those bar conversations sure seem natural lol. Don't do me ugly!

kiimo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 12, 2021

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I'm not sure how that scene was meant to illustrate that

A. That scene owns. As stupid as it is.

B. Movies starring Seagal in his heyday featured a lot of sadistic violence in general and snapping of limbs in particular. It always felt like someone accidentally gave a Hollywood budget to some sleazy exploitation director.

C. I’m not making a good case for Seagal, am I?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Out for Justice is perfect garbage trash and I love it very much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry for linking to my own tweet, but there's a reason I've had this thing pinned for so long

https://twitter.com/ChadMuskehound/status/888802795217985537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He's also considered one of the worst SNL hosts, a prima donna that had no idea how to be funny and suggested a sketch in which he raped a female cast member.

You'd think at some point during the week they could cut their losses and be like uh actually the host will now be Steve Martin but I suppose if he was there to plug a movie there would have been a legal battle not worth fighting.