Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The best potential thing about Michael being captain is that actually being an authority figure will result in fewer increasingly contrived plots where she challenges authority figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nah, there will be an admiral every week that she needs to defy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

tarlibone posted:

So Discovery is a TARDIS now? Or just in the turbolift shafts?

I think I'm just gonna go with that as my head-canon now, that as part of the refit they installed some funky TARDIS style devices on Discovery and we just missed the setup season earlier in the season where someone walked into a supply closet only to discover it's now the size of a warehouse.

Like seriously just fully embrace wacky poo poo like that if they want to do visuals like this. It's the 32nd century, there should be all manner of stuff that we don't understand, just so long as it feels like there is some kind of internal consistency (even if we're not meant to know it all).

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from technology from other IPs. -Arthur C Clarke????

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
You'd think that 900+ years into the future, Starfleet could develop shields that don't drop from 100% to 30% after one volley of shots hitting them. Like, shielding technology should've evolved dramatically.

However, there's one thing that hasn't changed in a millenia at Utopia Planetia, and that's ALL CONSOLES WILL FOREVER BE FULL TO THE BRIM WITH ROCKS AND MOLTEN SLAG.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Gonz posted:

You'd think that 900+ years into the future, Starfleet could develop shields that don't drop from 100% to 30% after one volley of shots hitting them. Like, shielding technology should've evolved dramatically.

Sure, but so would weapons tech to match.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Gonz posted:

However, there's one thing that hasn't changed in a millenia at Utopia Planetia, and that's ALL CONSOLES WILL FOREVER BE FULL TO THE BRIM WITH ROCKS AND MOLTEN SLAG.

Buddy, if you think you can find any other way to power a console besides electro-plasma, I'd like to see you try.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gonz posted:

Programmable matter means the consoles now turn into molten slag and rocks as part of their functionality rather than needing separate rocks and slag be pre-loaded into them.

Speaking of; programmable matter is just such a waste of a good idea in Discovery. Your phaser turns into a bracelet... cool. Why just those two states? Why can't it also be whatever's needed immediately, like a tricorder, too? Need a painkiller or basic medicine? Cool, now it's a hypospray and self-synthesizing a basic compound to fill itself with.

"Our phasers turn into fashionwear" is just such a shallow thing because the only reason it exists is for "watch the bracelet turn into a gun" CGI shots.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Programmable matter means the consoles now turn into molten slag and rocks as part of their functionality rather than needing separate rocks and slag be pre-loaded into them.

Speaking of; programmable matter is just such a waste of a good idea in Discovery. Your phaser turns into a bracelet... cool. Why just those two states? Why can't it also be whatever's needed immediately, like a tricorder, too? Need a painkiller or basic medicine? Cool, now it's a hypospray and self-synthesizing a basic compound to fill itself with.

"Our phasers turn into fashionwear" is just such a shallow thing because the only reason it exists is for "watch the bracelet turn into a gun" CGI shots.

Or say, radiation meds that reverse the damage done by lethal radiation? Just take it with you into some kind of hazardous Nebula!

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

They blew up Utopia Planitia in Picard, and there weren't any signs of a colony or shipyard around Mars in "People of Earth".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sticklefifer posted:

Could you possibly grab the fade into that scene that comes right before this? It was a great match cut.

Shortest gif: https://i.imgur.com/eOiyXWl.mp4

And here's 2 more options with more frames before the fade:
Medium
Longest version

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MariusLecter posted:

Or say, radiation meds that reverse the damage done by lethal radiation? Just take it with you into some kind of hazardous Nebula!

The holoprogram prevented them from using their tech when they entered, so that wouldn’t have worked either. That’s why Adira hid the meds in their mouth before beaming.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So these ships are just like, 10% crew / engine and 90% turboshafts?

Anyway, not bad, I kinda liked it wasnt a huge rear end battle and that it wasn't a 4d galaxy ending problem. I also like that they couldn't actually fix or prevent the burn. Also, is the Sphere data is safe?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone posted a picture earlier that showed the discovery has a big empty box for the turbo lifts to fly around in.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cojawfee posted:

Someone posted a picture earlier that showed the discovery has a big empty box for the turbo lifts to fly around in.

MikeJF posted:

Pre-refit, but the giant turbolift roller coaster room is actually on the behind-the-scenes discovery layout as the 'systems hub', see circles

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's so silly and clearly there is no clear vision for the VFX and design teams so they just kinda do whatever without caring about how things actually are put together.

I do like that both main villains are killed without zero hesitation. I was worried Michael was just going to stun Osyraa and then go "and you will stand trial for you crimes". Nope, 3 phaser shots to the face. Good job. I also like her spitting out programmable matter.

Culbur seeing Grey was pretty great.

It was a successful finale, as it made me want to watch season 4.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah but even on that cutaway the Systems Hub is narrower and only slightly taller than the Shuttlebay. You can’t fit what we saw onscreen in that space.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So these ships are just like, 10% crew / engine and 90% turboshafts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

The Enterprise-D, if it's the size they say it and is populated by the number of people they say it is, is large enough that no one would ever encounter another soul in the course of their daily routine if they were all spread out evenly across the ship.

If Discovery is a quarter the size and has a quarter the crew compliment, I'm assuming something similar applies.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwx5uB0pyhQ

The Enterprise-D, if it's the size they say it and is populated by the number of people they say it is, is large enough that no one would ever encounter another soul in the course of their daily routine if they were all spread out evenly across the ship.

If Discovery is a quarter the size and has a quarter the crew compliment, I'm assuming something similar applies.

quote:

Some crewman is wandering the ship, unable to find his quarters in the endless curving corridors of identical doors, and refuses to ask for help. There's three hours left before the next shift, and a sonic shower would be amazing right now. Tears well in his eyes. There's a feline supplement with his name on it in that room.
"Luxurious," he whispers. Post-scarcity is a beautiful hell, a ship so massive and depopulated that you really can spend 12 hours lost, utterly alone, seeking succor in the soft bosom of your bed. The door tags are no help. What deck is his room on? What deck is he on?
The same potted plant passes by for the fiftieth time. Fully-automated luxury space Communism. These words appear unbidden in his mind. The future is torment. The future is ecstasy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This was pretty bad. There's really, truly great stuff in this show but everything just feels so, so rushed. I'm not really one to look for plot holes and incongruencies (it's star trek, lol) but you can't help notice stuff in this show.

Su'kal and the Federation guy both waiting for Starfleet their entire lives is a weird choice, and the latter did absolutely nothing.

Michael limping after getting punched in the leg, but not limping after being stabbed like 20 minutes prior.

Ni'Val fleet being invisible.

The Sphere Data plot does nothing. That's actually two subplots that go absolutely nowhere.

Both Saru and Culber/Stamets have now adopted a child that they've spent zero time with. Just weird and uncomfortable.

I loved Ossyra, the grainy makeup looks sick and the actor did a killer job of threading the needle between menace and efficiency. Great stuff there. Her recurring 2IC was a good casting choice too.

Book is a welcome addition, the guy's got more charisma than the screen can handle, and a connection to the "underworld" of ST Future is a cool concept. More of that - the first couple episodes were the best in this season.

And I have to say, the Adira plot makes me concerned. A young person getting a new, exciting family and super powers and also their boyfriend is a ghost that lives inside thier head (but no one consider them wildly mentally unwell for this) is just bizarre and kind of irresponsible. Perhaps thinking has evolved on this, but I think seeing a dead partner and speaking to them is not the sign of a healthy mind. They're also just not a great actor, which is sad to say. I hope they improve, and being around this cast is surely a set of great lessons. Culber and Stamets are easily the best actors in the show.

well why not fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 8, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

well why not posted:

And I have to say, the Adira plot makes me concerned. A young person getting a new, exciting family and super powers and also their boyfriend is a ghost that lives inside thier head (but no one consider them wildly mentally unwell for this) is just bizarre and kind of irresponsible. Perhaps thinking has evolved on this, but I think seeing a dead partner and speaking to them is not the sign of a healthy mind. They're also just not a great actor, which is sad to say. I hope they improve, and being around this cast is surely a set of great lessons. Culber and Stamets are easily the best actors in the show.

I think they're an okay actor for the role, but Gray definitely needed to be a thing for Adira to let go of rather than embrace. I get what they're trying for, but holding on to your dead partner in your head (literally or otherwise) just isn't a healthy moral for a TV show to impart on its audience. It's the exact same issue Doctor Who ran into, with one of the Capaldi episodes where the moral accidentally wound up being "Dr Who sez don't listen to your dumb old regular doctors and don't take your psych meds, kids!"

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think they're an okay actor for the role, but Gray definitely needed to be a thing for Adira to let go of rather than embrace. I get what they're trying for, but holding on to your dead partner in your head (literally or otherwise) just isn't a healthy moral for a TV show to impart on its audience. It's the exact same issue Doctor Who ran into, with one of the Capaldi episodes where the moral accidentally wound up being "Dr Who sez don't listen to your dumb old regular doctors and don't take your psych meds, kids!"

I can see what they're trying to achieve but ... this kind of feels like a "throw your meds away, run away with your imaginary teen boyfriend" moral, like you say.

Other stuff I like: Admiral Vance, specifically his appearance and voice. Booker proving that Rick Owens is still wardrobe de rigeur 1200 years in the future. The giant cat.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Welp, after that trash heap of a season, I think I might finally quit Discovery! I'm glad they did Doug Jones a cool rear end solid by letting him be himself for a couple episodes, something he rarely-if-ever gets to do.

The editing and writing of this final episode was possibly the worst in the entire series. The morals, technology, and motives were contradictory across the board. I just..... I could write a Mr. Robot long post about how bad this episode alone was. I'm really glad that this season end actually felt like it could be a series finale. I feel closure. It's entirely possible there's something that brings me back but outside of finding the clips of every David Cronenberg scene, it's gonna take a lot to make me watch season 4.

OKAY BUT ONE THING Why does Owo insist on explaining why she can hold her breath for 10 minutes when that explanation alone is wasting everyone's oxygen? OKAY BYE.

(But see y'all for Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds, and ... maybe Picard!)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I was real worried about Owo, getting another bit of character development like "I can hold my breath for 10 minutes" seemed like a death warrant.

Really lucky that the turboshaft dimension has a breathable atmosphere. But why does it have a breathable atmosphere? It doesn't look like it is separated into decks, so either it should drain when half the ship is draining, or else they should have been able to get a space blowtorch and cut a hole from the deck they were on to the turboshaft dimension.

Micheal getting to be captain . . . meh. It's fine. For better or worse she's the star of the show, and it makes more sense from a typical star trek format for the captain to be the star.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

well why not posted:

They have a symbiote. Maybe this is how it interacts with non-Trill? Or it could be that this is how Adira is processing it because they had such a strong emotional connection to the previous host while (I think) other hosts just get random symbiotes they are compatible with but don't personally know.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 8, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They have a symbiote. Maybe this is how it interacts with non-Trill? Or it could be that this is how Adira is processing it because they had such a strong emotional connection to the previous host while (I think) other hosts just get random symbiotes they are compatible with but don't personally know.

They're not talking about how it's justified in the fiction.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I’m sure there’s a reason but it’s still weird and shady.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grudge: trans or nah?

She is a queen. She's played by a male cat with male cat parts and I think it was this thread where someone claimed they'd seen her balls. That's probably just a production quirk, except Book is a powerful empath so he'd easily know if she considers herself female.

IRL there are well documented long-term same sex animal couples who are generally referred to as gay, but we don't really know what is going on with them. It's possible one of those gay penguins is actually trans and we just have no way of telling. So a giant fluffy trans kitty isn't impossible based on our current understanding.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is that's what this season should have been. All that's happened is wasting twelve episodes jerking off about Michael and Book being heroes in their cool ship instead of anything to do with the titular ship and crew. The season started in a perfectly-fine place to follow Discovery using its Spore Drive to help push the Federation rebuilding itself in a way that would've taken it years or decades otherwise (Fix a comm relay here, jump to an old classic-alien member world that's weeks away with no warp drive, etc).

Anyone got a screenshot of the new uniforms on-hand? I'm curious to see how good/bad they look.

Oh yeah, agreed wholeheartedly, but I'll take One Season Late

well why not posted:

And I have to say, the Adira plot makes me concerned. A young person getting a new, exciting family and super powers and also their boyfriend is a ghost that lives inside thier head (but no one consider them wildly mentally unwell for this) is just bizarre and kind of irresponsible. Perhaps thinking has evolved on this, but I think seeing a dead partner and speaking to them is not the sign of a healthy mind.

Did you miss the part where the holo recognized Gray, indicating that he does, in fact, still exist independently of Adira?

Facebook Aunt posted:

I was real worried about Owo, getting another bit of character development like "I can hold my breath for 10 minutes" seemed like a death warrant.

Really lucky that the turboshaft dimension has a breathable atmosphere. But why does it have a breathable atmosphere? It doesn't look like it is separated into decks, so either it should drain when half the ship is draining, or else they should have been able to get a space blowtorch and cut a hole from the deck they were on to the turboshaft dimension.

Micheal getting to be captain . . . meh. It's fine. For better or worse she's the star of the show, and it makes more sense from a typical star trek format for the captain to be the star.

Yeah we were absolutely yelling "do not loving kill Owo" at the screen that whole scene

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tiggum posted:

They're not talking about how it's justified in the fiction.

well why not posted:

Yeah I’m sure there’s a reason but it’s still weird and shady.

Sure, out of context it would be concerning. Thankfully we do have context and they are just doing normal host/symbiote stuff. :shrug:

Could Adira open up more and hang out with the other crewmembers? Sure. Even Gray and Stamets bug her about this. But they are still a teen and it's probably weird so they just talk to the other person on board they can relate to(and also Stamets).

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Did you miss the part where the holo recognized Gray, indicating that he does, in fact, still exist independently of Adira?

Also this.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone got a screenshot of the new uniforms on-hand? I'm curious to see how good/bad they look.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sure, out of context it would be concerning. Thankfully we do have context and they are just doing normal host/symbiote stuff. :shrug:

Could Adira open up more and hang out with the other crewmembers? Sure. Even Gray and Stamets bug her about this. But they are still a teen and it's probably weird so they just talk to the other person on board they can relate to(and also Stamets).

Also this.

Dude, no. One of the things you should not do in writing something like a TV show is "crippling psychological issues are actually good and cool". Getting people to accept psychological help is hard enough as is, poo poo like this just reinforces people self-justifying their issues rather than getting the help they need.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You could write a story where black people emit deadly radiation that only they could survive and, in the story, it would make perfect sense to want to segregate them and prevent them from reproducing. And it would obviously be an extremely racist and pro-eugenics story, right? Same thing here. The space magic doesn't stop people from seeing the real-world parallels. Stuff in sci-fi and fantasy always relates to the real world and often has unpleasant or harmful implications.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dude, no. One of the things you should not do in writing something like a TV show is "crippling psychological issues are actually good and cool". Getting people to accept psychological help is hard enough as is, poo poo like this just reinforces people self-justifying their issues rather than getting the help they need.

Who said it was cool and good? It's just taking time for Adira to open up. At first they would only talk to Gray and by the end of the season they have opened up to Stamets and Culber and are seemingly more a part of the crew than ever before.

Are people going to freak out about this if Adira gets a holo-emitter and Gray becomes a crewmember next season? What if they start hanging out with the other Trill hosts too?

Tiggum posted:

You could write a story where black people emit deadly radiation that only they could survive and, in the story, it would make perfect sense to want to segregate them and prevent them from reproducing. And it would obviously be an extremely racist and pro-eugenics story, right? Same thing here. The space magic doesn't stop people from seeing the real-world parallels. Stuff in sci-fi and fantasy always relates to the real world and often has unpleasant or harmful implications.

:godwin:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't understand how we got to "crippling psychotic issues" or parallels about racism.

The character is very obviously not written as someone with mental illness. Gray is perfectly real and valid, Adira is not "talking to themselves" and their relationship with Stamets and Culber is extremely clunkily written, but it's supposed to be a heartwarming story of 3 people out of their elements coming together as a weird little family.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
TBH we had ENT 2x16 "Future tense" about a shuttle being bigger on the inside. Like a lot bigger and it was from 31st century :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Having the rank insignia be a full on one piece brooch looks really loving weird, but beyond that they look... okay, I guess. I do appreciate them finally separating Science and Medical with proper distinct branch colours. Now if only they could do that with Tactical/Security and Engineering.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

extremely clunkily written, but it's supposed to be
That's kind of the problem.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The character is very obviously not written as someone with mental illness.

Adira stares off into space when people talk to them because their dead boyfriend is talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The whole problem with schizophrenic hallucinations is that to the person having them they are extremely real. Writing a story in which a person is hallucinating and the moral of the story is 'this is okay and you should embrace the hallucinations' is absolutely not okay.

And within the Star Trek context Adira's situation is considered weird and not-right.

1. Trill do not experience their past incarnations this way. This was explicitly stated early in the season.
2. This is not a 'human-trill' specific thing because only Grey is the past incarnation being manifested this way. That's also been explicitly remarked on as being a strange and unique thing.

Grey has been written as a manifestation of trauma/mental illness. That's what the show has presented the character as and even if that weren't very much overtly the case, I don't know what the viewer is supposed to interpret the character as being other than that (unless you take the view that some posters in the thread have that the show is just a bunch of things happening and there is nothing going on below the surface level of the story).

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 8, 2021