Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Finding a way to wall mount it and maybe get a little drip tray to protect the carpet is going to be way better for your piece of mind. A bike outside in a city overnight, especially in the same place, will get stolen eventually, regardless of the locks you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^yeah, that's what I was gonna suggest. You can get a free standing bike rack for pretty cheap, then put a drip tray or cheap rug below it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CCJ5H3W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_a-L9Fb9A75S62

I've got one similar to this in my living room that I really like. I have one bike hanging on it and a second one below it on the floor (since I have a frame bag). Just take the lower arms off (or, better yet, get a second bike)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a wall-leaning one from Delta that always looks like it's going to fall down, but it's surprisingly sturdy. It's been a lifesaver in my cramped apartments over the years.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

oh man where can i get one of those stickers?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Steal the bike rack, it comes with one.

Just leave the bike behind.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Animal Friend posted:

I've read so many conflicting things about locks but it seems u-locks are the way to go? Was there anything this thread could recommend? My bike is a Merida Speeder 400, not overly extravagant but expensive enough to me to be devastating if stolen.

Alternative advice: lock it up with a U-lock and get bicycle insurance with a deductible that you can handle..

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I got one of these Delta Cycle racks for my apartment since it doesn't require drilling and it works surprisingly well. Keeps the bike off the ground, takes up very little space, and looks pretty good.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Safety Dance posted:

Alternative advice: lock it up with a U-lock and get bicycle insurance with a deductible that you can handle..

If possible keep it inside. Those U-lock guarantees often come with a caveat that you have to show the lock that they broke to get it. If they just steal the lock too you might not get compensated. The only way to keep a bike yours in the city long-term is to keep it inside.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A friend of mine kept her bike locked up outside her apartment with a u-lock. One night some scumbag tried to cut through the lock, but couldn't, so they just cut her frame in half and left it lying on the sidewalk.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You said you had trouble sleeping because of bike-theft anxiety. That's not going to abate at all unless you can roll over in bed and see your bike, nice and safe, every time that particular little thought demon pops up.

There is a ton of different storage racks designed for small apartments, you're far from the first person to have this concern. As has been posted here, for example. Have a look around various bike shop websites and Amazon and the other usual places, and try something out. Protecting a floor is even easier, rubber mats with raised rims are not difficult to obtain.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've seen a couple of those on bikes. Maybe if we ever plan to do proper moving around that's not just me going to work and carrying clothes and papers.

If they're that easily removable couldn't they be easily stolen as well?

Yes, they could absolutely be easily stolen if left on the bike. I am not sure if I've seen panniers that were meant to be theft-proof.

Regarding indoor storage chat, I think I posted this a bit back in this or another thread, but there are some real cheap stands on the Soma store:

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/category/accessories-racks-display-storage-943

I got the Ibuki 1 and it's amazing, but quite tall.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Mauser posted:

Yes, they could absolutely be easily stolen if left on the bike. I am not sure if I've seen panniers that were meant to be theft-proof.

Regarding indoor storage chat, I think I posted this a bit back in this or another thread, but there are some real cheap stands on the Soma store:

https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/category/accessories-racks-display-storage-943

I got the Ibuki 1 and it's amazing, but quite tall.

I picked up the Kani about a month ago for a steal. It’s great. I was skeptical of the tension system, but it’s solid.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

The snow clearing crew in my part Stockholm was on point this morning! About 80% of my commute looked like this. The brine they spread out after sweeping away the snow really does a number on my chain, but chains are cheap. The other 20% is really slushy now and colder weather is coming. Things could become interesting on monday morning.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The best way to keep a bike clean in conditions like that is to not even try to and just throw the chain and cassette out when it inevitably gets too crunchy to ride.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Invalido posted:

The snow clearing crew in my part Stockholm was on point this morning! About 80% of my commute looked like this. The brine they spread out after sweeping away the snow really does a number on my chain, but chains are cheap. The other 20% is really slushy now and colder weather is coming. Things could become interesting on monday morning.

Even Solna is doing a pretty good job with the sopsaltning, but a lot of the fences they put up block the vehicles, so you go from bare black asphalt to 20 cm of packed snow a few times per commute.

Also, >7 speed cassettes were a mistake. I love just cutting my red chain off at the end of the winter, and paying 9€ for a new one.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

The best way to keep a bike clean in conditions like that is to not even try to and just throw the chain and cassette out when it inevitably gets too crunchy to ride.

Last full-time commuting salty winter in Chicago, I was keeping my bike in the communal basement bike room (heated and drains in floor). I just kept a little pressurized sprayer bottle handy, hosed everything down when I got home and relubed weekly, and everything was fine except for the real cheapo metal nuts/bolts.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

Also, >7 speed cassettes were a mistake. I love just cutting my red chain off at the end of the winter, and paying 9€ for a new one.
Gates my dudes, GATES

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Groda posted:

Even Solna is doing a pretty good job with the sopsaltning, but a lot of the fences they put up block the vehicles, so you go from bare black asphalt to 20 cm of packed snow a few times per commute.

That's a municipal border in the middle of the bridge.
Wintertime is best time for internal hub gears.

evil_bunnY posted:

Gates my dudes, GATES
Evangelizing ITT is making me increasingly tempted to convert my ancient cargobike to belt drive. It would require welding in a splittable piece in the frame and probably sliding dropouts as well (Gates doesn't recommend use with the horizontal dropouts I have now). Since it's a steel frame and the workspace I use recently got a milling machine installed, none of these mods intimidate me nearly as much as the cost of the components - sprockets are pricey! That setup better be great to warrant the cost of parts is all I'm saying.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Invalido posted:

That's a municipal border in the middle of the bridge.

I know that feeling but here it's not unpaved snow that's the trouble, rather depending on the municipality you have a bike path or are launched immediately into the road because they don't have bike paths.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

A few months ago, on my ride to work, there was a pair of city employees shoveling the snow off the sidewalk, directly into the bike lane. Just fantastic.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Your cities clear snow off bike infrastructure? The large boulevard I need to take every day got renovated over the late summer to fall to add protected bike lanes to either side between the road and sidewalk. They're really nice... and currently storing all the snow they shoveled off the road and sidewalks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sauer posted:

Your cities clear snow off bike infrastructure? The large boulevard I need to take every day got renovated over the late summer to fall to add protected bike lanes to either side between the road and sidewalk. They're really nice... and currently storing all the snow they shoveled off the road and sidewalks.

Oof, if that ain't the truth. Denver is pretty good at clearing the MUPs into downtown, but all the bike lanes, protected or not, mostly serve as snow retention zones during the winter months.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Trying to understand it I guess the question they ask is just how many people are actually going to brave the elements in below freezing weather, the snow and the ice? I suppose an argument could be made at that point, that if there's so much snow, then the bike line has a crucial role to play for run-off, and with those sort of conditions drivers should be going slower anyways minimizing the risks to the few cyclists.

Trying to think how a city council would justify the action and cost really.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Trying to understand it I guess the question they ask is just how many people are actually going to brave the elements in below freezing weather, the snow and the ice? I suppose an argument could be made at that point, that if there's so much snow, then the bike line has a crucial role to play for run-off, and with those sort of conditions drivers should be going slower anyways minimizing the risks to the few cyclists.

This is a bit of a chicken n egg question as well.
If they kept the infrastructure clear, more people would do it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Denver is full of cyclist hardasses and DUI havers, so quite a few

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
More than once I've pondered how much the city spends on me alone being able to bike to work all winter. It's probably a significant fraction of my salary. When snow conditions are right it's easy enough to see how many bike tracks there are. Combined with the other riders I see I'd guess about a dozen riders or so on an average lovely winter day along a lonely 5 km semi-rural stretch between suburban centers with almost no pedestrians or bikers just going on short trips to their nearest train station. I don't know how the funding for it is allocated for this but the gist of it seems to be to try and limit car commuting generally in the long term, and you can't do that for real without enabling alternatives. That means trains, buses and decent bike lanes I guess. In the months with good weather it's a different story, but Stockholm isn't Copenhagen, let alone Amsterdam. Shittier weather, actual hills and a more spread out city is part of it but culturally we're way behind better bike cities too. I can't see that improving without good snow control so I'm glad they're at least trying. I'd like to think that lovely weather biking has never been easier, what with advanced yet affordable clothing, e-assist, good tires, LED lights, hydraulic brakes and other newfangled technology that didn't exist ten or twenty years ago. Lots of people don't believe me and think I'm crazy for riding in January but they've never tried it so they don't know.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Sauer posted:

Montreal does it by borough, Rosemont is pretty good but Plateau and Villeray far less so.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Invalido posted:

Evangelizing ITT is making me increasingly tempted to convert my ancient cargobike to belt drive. It would require welding in a splittable piece in the frame and probably sliding dropouts as well (Gates doesn't recommend use with the horizontal dropouts I have now). Since it's a steel frame and the workspace I use recently got a milling machine installed, none of these mods intimidate me nearly as much as the cost of the components - sprockets are pricey! That setup better be great to warrant the cost of parts is all I'm saying.
Just so we're clear, Gates is amazing but you have to be OK with the IGH life, which means Shimano's that don't like torque or GERMAN-ENGINEERED, couple house payment-costing rohloff.

Sauer posted:

That's the beauty of having a critical mass of winter riders. Nothing will get the bike path cleared like drivers howling about bikes on "their" lane.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

Just so we're clear, Gates is amazing but you have to be OK with the IGH life, which means Shimano's that don't like torque or GERMAN-ENGINEERED, couple house payment-costing rohloff.

Being able to change gears at a stop is way more important than being able shift under load, in a city commute.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Invalido posted:

More than once I've pondered how much the city spends on me alone being able to bike to work all winter. It's probably a significant fraction of my salary. When snow conditions are right it's easy enough to see how many bike tracks there are. Combined with the other riders I see I'd guess about a dozen riders or so on an average lovely winter day along a lonely 5 km semi-rural stretch between suburban centers with almost no pedestrians or bikers just going on short trips to their nearest train station. I don't know how the funding for it is allocated for this but the gist of it seems to be to try and limit car commuting generally in the long term, and you can't do that for real without enabling alternatives. That means trains, buses and decent bike lanes I guess. In the months with good weather it's a different story, but Stockholm isn't Copenhagen, let alone Amsterdam. Shittier weather, actual hills and a more spread out city is part of it but culturally we're way behind better bike cities too. I can't see that improving without good snow control so I'm glad they're at least trying. I'd like to think that lovely weather biking has never been easier, what with advanced yet affordable clothing, e-assist, good tires, LED lights, hydraulic brakes and other newfangled technology that didn't exist ten or twenty years ago. Lots of people don't believe me and think I'm crazy for riding in January but they've never tried it so they don't know.

I guess it's just such a new thing in Paris, because while there are bike lanes, they aren't really respected by anyone. They'll double as parking just as easily, I've even seen the cops do it (not that means much I suppose), and on garbage day guess where you'll find the bins. Now I cycle through the 13eme, to the south-east of the city, so it may be different elsewhere but from what I've seen not so much. The paths are generally fine, but not in great condition. They have cracks and get worn down and aren't kept in good repair like the roads are.

But I guess it'll just take time and some adjustment.

There are definitely a fair amount of winter cyclists, though are winters aren't really that cold. We're just bordering on freezing, and it doesn't snow, not really anyway. There's less people out than in the fall obviously, but bike's are definitely being used. Aside from being hilly, Paris is so small it'd be an ideal biking town.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Snow removal in some Canadian cities occassionally becomes a giant political issue. Sometimes a single big storm annihilates the city budget (because they spend millions on overtime and emergency payments for the huge spike in snow clearing requirements) and everybody starts shouting at each other. It becomes a kind of cultural tradition, where the city government quietly puts some money aside in the fall based on reading the tea leaves, and gambles on not having to cut funding for something else because the contractor demanded half a million for each truck on the road at 3:00am on a Sunday.

Cyclists do their part of the shouting, but they're usually a tiny minority in the winter and the really hardcore winter riders don't care about snow anyways, they just ride through it and brag about it later. From what I've seen.

Snow clearing in Quebec City was amazing. They practically didn't let flakes hit the ground, and they turn sidewalks into vertical-walled canyons that can have walls more than 2m high (they hook up a huge snowblower to the PTO on a tractor and just go everywhere). I really appreciated the special rule they must have for the back-up beepers on those big vehicles. Normally, they'd be bleeping away, but in winter if they're clearing snow I guess they're allowed or required to turn off the beeper, so I don't have to listen to it at 4:00am. They can't do anything about the diesel engines roaring away, but eventually we'll have electric heavy trucks so one day they'll clear snow in eerie silence (except for rampant yelling in Quebecois slang, which is highly entertaining).

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I'd just like to thank you guys for the bike security advice.

I know its an age old question but with the rise of e-bikes in urban areas I was kind of hoping that there might have been some kind of new focus on security (those things don't cost as much as high-end road bikes but are still popular and pricey) and that maybe there might be some kind of anecdotal evidence to put my mind at ease.

My apartment is TINY so I really can't find a place for a stand. I think I'll just have to keep it on the floor and if its too wet keep it outside without wheels.

For better thread content, I'll try and take some nice pictures the next long ride I take. I only own the one "urban commuter" bike but we go the distance sometimes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

If you store it outside, keep it as tucked away as possible and put multiple locks on it. Like, enough locks that it's a hassle for you, much less a thief. Bike theft is mostly a crime of opportunity, so your average thief isn't going to gently caress with cutting 2 u-locks AND a chain just to steal a mid-range bike. Also, get some sort of security bolts for your seatpost and a small cable for your saddle. Or maybe get a QR seatpost clamp and take your post/saddle inside with you (cover the whole to prevent rain/stuff from getting in the frame). There was an AMA on reddit that I saw once where a former bike thief was talking about how he basically wouldn't even consider taking a bike if he couldn't ride it away. Someone even asked him about "what if I loosened my stem, turned the bars, and tightened them back down sideways" and he was basically like, "i'd have the tools to fix it, but that's just one more thing I'd have to gently caress with before I could bolt, so I probably wouldn't bother. There are always easier bikes to steal."

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally faced my first winter rain. It wasn't a heavy rain but an incredibly steady mist/drizzle that got into everything. I was dripping wet within minutes, yet it's the sort of rain that when you're not moving you hardly notice it. Thankfully it isn't cold out, some 8 degrees Celsius. Unfortunately it's raining all week it seems. Hopefully my clothes dry enough nightly I only have so much...

Animal Friend posted:

I'd just like to thank you guys for the bike security advice.

I know its an age old question but with the rise of e-bikes in urban areas I was kind of hoping that there might have been some kind of new focus on security (those things don't cost as much as high-end road bikes but are still popular and pricey) and that maybe there might be some kind of anecdotal evidence to put my mind at ease.

My apartment is TINY so I really can't find a place for a stand. I think I'll just have to keep it on the floor and if its too wet keep it outside without wheels.

For better thread content, I'll try and take some nice pictures the next long ride I take. I only own the one "urban commuter" bike but we go the distance sometimes.

You already have a bike but I had friend here in Paris who did real well with a foldable bike.

She was living in those closets the Parisians call apartments somewhere around 12 sq meters. (Toilets outside for example)

I don't want to suggest you trade in your faithful companion, but it could be a consideration.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I live in 350 square ft (32 ish square meters) and have a folding bike, fits onto an ikea boot tray and sits at the foot of my bed. Even in COVID times, people haven’t minded me taking it into a shop. Plenty of weird looks though :)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
God I hate those hallway bathroom apartments so much.

I don't commute due to the pandemic, but I've been doing about an hour and a half to two hour bike rides in the evening after work every day when it's not raining. I just gave up on ever seeing the sun during my bike rides because work is too busy and I refuse to wake up early if I do not have to.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm thinking about upgrading the bike trailer for my toddler. The current one is a cheap Schwinn one and it's okay, but the fabric floor of it gets soaking wet any time I go out in the rain. Thankfully the kid's seat is a separate piece of fabric that is raised up a bit so that stays dry and keeps her dry, but I don't like her feet and toys and dropped snacks sitting on the soaking wet trailer floor in front of her (not to mention the dropped snacks turning into a nasty paste :barf:). Same goes for cargo behind her, which also ends up on a wet floor. The whole thing also just feels kind of cheap and I've already had to replace the backup safety clip on it with a small carabiner, and replace one of the snaps.

Anyone else have experience with rainy bike rides with a kid in a trailer? Are the nicer/better ones better waterproofed? Like I'm imagining maybe the nicer ones have a solid plastic underfloor instead of being all fabric, but maybe not.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I learned something that surprised me today during a grocery run: hydraulic brakes can actually freeze if conditions are just right.

The handle was fine but nothing was happening at the pads. I messed with it some and it freed up and worked like normal again. Just one more thing to keep in mind when winter riding I guess.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm making stem/snack bags as gifts for a few bikes friends and testing the prototypes on my commuter.

These things are the handiest bag I've had on my bike yet. Chuck in gloves, keys, a buff, whatever, and it's ready to access immediately.

Still want to figure out some less temporary ways to attach them then loose hook-and-loop for the stem and a shock cord for the fork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Still want to figure out some less temporary ways to attach them then loose hook-and-loop for the stem and a shock cord for the fork.

Some silicone cable ties might work. They'd be removable, but nicer than hook-and-loop.