Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you put a can of beer in the wine section, it's now wine. If you have a drinking problem and are in the wine section, you're wine.

Infallible definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

Also I see Sadiq has announced that London's health service is fully collapsing, great stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sadiqkhan/status/1347532612626247680?s=21

One in thirty. Jesus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

I have it on good authority that you use it as a toothbrush for your rear end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

peanut- posted:

In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

I've had it served on the side of roast dinners both in solid and mush form. It's bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/dawnhfoster/status/1347542456720613376?s=21

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

peanut- posted:

Also I see Sadiq has announced that London's health service is fully collapsing, great stuff.

Welsh Valleys already did. There were notices going about on FB last night saying there are NO ICU beds available and even if you think covid is a hoax that means if you're in a car accident or something, there will be NO BED for you in ICU.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

peanut- posted:

When i worked in tesco literally the only person to buy celeriac was a nutty old American woman who made celeriac and onion soup and tried to convince me to do skidpan training

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JollyBoyJohn posted:

skidpan training

dare I even ask what this is

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Miftan posted:

Coffee is gross if I want a hot drink I'll just get a hot chocolate because I don't hate my taste buds.

Before Christmas, Costa Coffee were doing a Terry’s Chocolate orange flavoured Hot Chocolate. That was really good.
But their After Eight mint flavoured Hot Chocolate was banging.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gort posted:

dare I even ask what this is

Essentially adverse weather advanced driving lessons

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Question IRL posted:

Before Christmas, Costa Coffee were doing a Terry’s Chocolate orange flavoured Hot Chocolate. That was really good.
But their After Eight mint flavoured Hot Chocolate was banging.

I'm glad you enjoyed it so that I don't have to.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Essentially adverse weather advanced driving lessons

Huh. I'd have thought those would mostly amount to, "Get the right tyres and drive extremely slowly if you absolutely must drive at all"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't a skidpan the metal sheet you can have put on the bottom of your car so if you hit rocks they don't gently caress up the gubbins?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

justcola posted:

Any sort of chat about fine dining or artisan foods are what I dislike most about food and drink because it feels like gatekeeping or snobbery and "ohhhh you need to try this". I just like £1 frozen pizzas and a cigarette for dessert
A lot of it definitely is, and isn't it weird that all of the things that are the best just happen to also be the most expensive?

Although this can also be true in the inverse, in that things that are expensive to make / import suddenly become luxuries for the rich who want to one-up each other, and if you don't like the taste then obviously you're not cultured enough to appreciate it.

On the other hand, smoking damages your tastebuds so it's possible that you just can't taste the difference between things with your broken mouth.

There's the cost of equipment as well, like with coffee makers. Most people can afford a kettle and some instant granules to make their miserable shift a little easier. Not everyone can afford even a basic coffee maker and the cost of a bunch of pods and syrups. And if you're low on cash and choosing between one latte for £3 or a jar of granules that'll last 2 weeks, the choice is obvious.

Like Jamie Oliver looking down his nose at people for not using fresh grown herbs from the pantry, when the person watching his tutorial is trying to prep everything on the one free counter in their flat and has to scrape the spices out of the jar because of the damp.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like coffee enough that I'll probably get a Nespresso machine or similar at some point, but not enough that I could even begin to be hosed with a proper machine or timings or whatever. I think that's down to laziness more than taste though.

Couldn't begin to differentiate different bean types or anything like that, but it's incredibly easy to tell if they're relatively fresh or stale as year old bread by smell, and that's as far as I care.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt
TFW you read page 54

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I just like the ritual of making fancy pour over coffee in the morning. It’s nice to take a few minutes to make something nice, and it’s nice to buy beans from a local roaster who can tell me where they were grown and have a higher likelihood that they are getting paid more fairly.

This. Humans seem to like rituals, but for a given set of things that many people do (food, coffee, exercise, music), different people choose different things to be ritualistic about. For example, I hate food and wish it would go away, but some people really miss eating out because they like the ritual. Similarly I enjoy my vinyl because of the ritual, but don't get snobby about how others choose to enjoy music.

Basically, let people enjoy the "bad" (low effort) versions of things.

stev posted:

I got that Hotel Chocolat hot chocolate machine for Christmas and it's great. I mean all it does is heat and whisk milk and chocolate flakes together but it's so much better than the sugary powders you usually get. Especially when it's actually good quality chocolate.

I'm now condemned to buy pouches of fancy chocolate flakes at a premium for the rest of my life though.

Oh My God. Trambapoline! (I want one)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
You hate food?

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Wine chat:
When I still used to drink regularly (more than 15 years ago - not touched it since except for a pot of 'baileys cream' (cream NOT liquer) at xmas) I mostly drank lager but sometimes wine. I preferred medium-sweet white wine. (My family were the family sneaking round the supermarket buying liebefraumilch). Dry white wine is gross. I disgraced myself at a work Xmas do once because the white wine whoever organised the do had ordered was horribly dry and I was caught putting little satchets of sugar into my glass to make it remotely drinkable. Hey I had paid £20 for that bloody xmas dinner, I was having my share. Red gives me a headache just looking at it.

Uuuh, but dry/sec is the sweet wine?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peanut- posted:

You can mash it and serve it as a side:
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/salmon-mustardy-celeriac-mash

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The UK leaves the EU for one week and British palates snap back to 1973.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

peanut- posted:

Bolognese Sauce. Also good for roasting with roast.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You hate food?

Some people apparently do and I don't get it given dinner is like the highlight of the day for me.

Presumably it is possible to be wired to not derive any enjoyment from eating but I think I would literally die if I didn't enjoy dinner.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've known 2 people who claimed to hate food and both were skinny as gently caress and thought they were overweight. Noone just "hates food" without some more glaring sub-reason

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Counterpoint: meal replacement drinks. Absolutely the product of a mind that hates food, and also possbly humanity.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You hate food?
The missus grew up with food phobia, parents arguing at mealtimes, pushy grandparents forcing her to eat veg etc. She's said to me many times that if she could just take a pill that gave her the right amount of nutrients for the day, and never have to worry about food she'd be happier for it.

I may have ruined her theory by cooking her proper lasagne.

E: I've had days when I've been on a gaming streak or really into something I'm doing on the PC, and thought 'poo poo I'm hungry / it's time for food, I could really do with not having to spend an hour preparing, eating & washing up' and have made a pot noodle instead. So if there was a star trek TOS style meal pill, I would absolutely just eat a few of those cold and then get back to what I was doing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jan 8, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The missus grew up with food phobia, parents arguing at mealtimes, pushy grandparents forcing her to eat veg etc. She's said to me many times that if she could just take a pill that gave her the right amount of nutrients for the day, and never have to worry about food she'd be happier for it.

Wow that's actually pretty depressing to hear. So like does she not enjoy chocolate?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mano posted:

Uuuh, but dry/sec is the sweet wine?

Que?

How can dry wine be sweet? Dry wine is hideously bitter and undrinkable. I find the more expensive the wine, the more bitter and dry it tastes.

White piat d'or always seems a bit posh to me while being also fairly drinkable.

Food issues:
All my family have them. There is not one person from mother down to great grand kids who doesn't have food issues, including my brothers.
Family meals are huge bones of contention and are never relaxed.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 8, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
People should drink their coffee however they like or not drink it at all, who cares. But imo you don't get anywhere near the same effect if it's isn't black like tar.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got a v60 for pour over at the start of the first lockdown and subscribed to a local roaster who sends out fresh beans every week or so, and it's muuuch cheaper than when I was at the office buying it. And it's also lightyears more tasty than instant. If you're someone who drinks coffee every morning I can't recommend it enough. Just get a v60, some filters, a cheap burr hand grinder, a £10 scale on amazon that goes to .1 grams and you can make insanely tasty coffee every day for very little effort.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ How much is a v60? Because I often find when people say something is not that expensive, what they mean it that it's not that expensive,* relatively** speaking.***

* if you have a 50k+ salary
** to the GDP of Monaco
*** Lies

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Wow that's actually pretty depressing to hear. So like does she not enjoy chocolate?
She does, but in terms of nutrition and meals the whole thing is tied up in bad feelings and anxiety.

I suppose it's the difference between getting to 6 o'clock and thinking 'gently caress, I'd better stop what I'm doing and eat something so I don't die' rather than thinking 'Yay, it's 6, what deliciousness can I enjoy tonight?'

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 8, 2021

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Gort posted:

Huh. I'd have thought those would mostly amount to, "Get the right tyres and drive extremely slowly if you absolutely must drive at all"

Every year I’ve eyed up getting a set of used alloys and some winter tyres to swap out but with the relatively mild winters we get in the South East I’ll never ever make the cost back.

I’ve been driving for 7 years and in that time have only spent 1 day commuting sideways and 1 day missed entirely.

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't a skidpan the metal sheet you can have put on the bottom of your car so if you hit rocks they don't gently caress up the gubbins?

You’re thinking of a skid plate.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

E: I've had days when I've been on a gaming streak or really into something I'm doing on the PC, and thought 'poo poo I'm hungry / it's time for food, I could really do with not having to spend an hour preparing, eating & washing up' and have made a pot noodle instead. So if there was a star trek TOS style meal pill, I would absolutely just eat a few of those cold and then get back to what I was doing.

Yeah it's this. Might have been exaggerating slightly, and I have been enjoying cooking things this pandemic, but especially public eating and being judged for what I'm eating, and the rituals surrounding formal communal eating - shudder. The formaler, the worser.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just had an email from National Express.
All services suspended until 1st March.

quote:

We have been providing an important service for essential travel needs. However, with tighter restrictions and less people travelling, it is no longer appropriate to do this.

From 23:59 on Sunday 10 January 2021 all of our coach services will be temporarily suspended with a provisional return from Monday 1 March 2021.
With immediate effect we are no longer selling coach tickets on our website or through any sales channels for any travel before Monday 1 March 2021.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bobstar posted:

Yeah it's this. Might have been exaggerating slightly, and I have been enjoying cooking things this pandemic, but especially public eating and being judged for what I'm eating, and the rituals surrounding formal communal eating - shudder. The formaler, the worser.

I understand that much much more than someone saying they "hate food" but then my single biggest takeaway from lockdown is that i really really miss going out for tea.

Not trying to belittle though. I could never understand people who take a dump in the office until there started to be 5 people in here instead of 50.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Aphex- posted:

I got a v60 for pour over at the start of the first lockdown and subscribed to a local roaster who sends out fresh beans every week or so, and it's muuuch cheaper than when I was at the office buying it. And it's also lightyears more tasty than instant. If you're someone who drinks coffee every morning I can't recommend it enough. Just get a v60, some filters, a cheap burr hand grinder, a £10 scale on amazon that goes to .1 grams and you can make insanely tasty coffee every day for very little effort.

Yeah this is what I do, it was like £40 for all the equipment and £7.50 a week for coffee and it’s so much better than buying it from almost anywhere. I’m fully convinced that most people who hate coffee hate it because they’ve only ever had bad coffee. My fiancée couldn’t understand how I could drink it black but now she does too, so long as I’m making it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Noxville posted:

I’m fully convinced that most people who hate coffee hate it because they’ve only ever had bad coffee.

Same but weed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also a better use of £40, a hand grinder, and a £10 scale on amazon that goes to .1 grams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’ve been lucky enough to have loads of supposedly great coffee all over the world and I must be a total philistine because what I actually like is instant / “filter coffee” in large amounts.

When I was in Brazil people looked at me like I was crazy for wanting just a big mug of black coffee that tasted like burnt tar instead of a tiny, sophisticated little espresso cup.