Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I was just looking at ordering some things for my wife's birthday, but it turns out "zero tariff deal" doesn't mean "no VAT or customs duties".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55576571

quote:

Under the "rule of origin" clause, goods made, or containing components made, outside the UK or EU - such as in China - and resold by UK businesses are now subject to VAT and import duties when sold to the EU.

Many British businesses exporting to the EU have much of their supply chain based outside the EU, meaning they will fall foul of the clause.

Some have suspended sales to customers in the EU as they try to establish whether import duty is due or if they can switch to UK or EU components.

No hot chocolate maker for me either, Hotel Chocolat have suspended EU deliveries :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't a skidpan the metal sheet you can have put on the bottom of your car so if you hit rocks they don't gently caress up the gubbins?

That's a skidplate. *This* is a skidpan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khgybH3OUh8&t=186s

I would pay so much money to have a go at this, there's surely enough old Routemasters knocking around for one of the driving experience days to offer it?

(also go back to 2:10 for some sick bus simulator action 20 years before a German even thought of writing job shovelware)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Bobstar posted:

I was just looking at ordering some things for my wife's birthday, but it turns out "zero tariff deal" doesn't mean "no VAT or customs duties".

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55576571

No hot chocolate maker for me either, Hotel Chocolat have suspended EU deliveries :(

Duallit is the manufacturer for the Hotel Chocolat Hot choc machine and their milk frother is both literally 1/2 the price and the exact same mechanism, 50£ extra for a copper finish and a worse handle oh the wonder of marketing.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 8, 2021

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I would pay so much money to have a go at this, there's surely enough old Routemasters knocking around for one of the driving experience days to offer it?

(also go back to 2:10 for some sick bus simulator action 20 years before a German even thought of writing job shovelware)

I did this on a hummer for half a day. It was great, except the instructor kept wanting me to "focus on recovering control" instead of "going around in circles while shouting 'weeeee!' "

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

peanut- posted:

In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

Soups

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

peanut- posted:

In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

celeriac remoulade

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
This new lockdown is a complete joke.
Far too many exceptions to make any meaningful difference to infection numbers, officials finding any possible way to cram more children back into school, and too many people just not listening to that fuckwit Boris (because why would you?) and ignoring the restrictions.

Between me seeing the headline on BBC News that sparked me starting this post, to getting an email about redeployment and then speaking to my manager, the number of people with Covid in London apparently jumped from 1/30 to 1/20.

poo poo's hosed, yo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

I did this on a hummer for half a day. It was great, except the instructor kept wanting me to "focus on recovering control" instead of "going around in circles while shouting 'weeeee!' "

Funny thing, I did almost the exact opposite - got a driving experience day and decided to give drifting a go and I just couldn't overcome my instinct to stop it sliding about. The instructor called it "impressive, but completely missing the point" which I think sums up a lot of my life.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

peanut- posted:

Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?
don't give them gluten

OwlFancier posted:

Counterpoint: meal replacement drinks. Absolutely the product of a mind that hates food, and also possbly humanity.
Nah I don't hate food, I just really hate cooking. And sometimes I'm not even bothered to cook a ready meal or make a sandwich, I just want to Not Be Hungry so I can actually get on with things.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Far too many exceptions to make any meaningful difference to infection numbers, officials finding any possible way to cram more children back into school, and too many people just not listening to that fuckwit Boris (because why would you?) and ignoring the restrictions.

Between me seeing the headline on BBC News that sparked me starting this post, to getting an email about redeployment and then speaking to my manager, the number of people with Covid in London apparently jumped from 1/30 to 1/20.

poo poo's hosed, yo

I went on my first trip further than the shop at the end of my road today and things seemed quieter than any point apart from the first weeks of the first lockdown. Almost all of the road traffic (which was at Sunday morning levels) was vans and other "probably working for a living" traffic, buses looked completely empty, and foot traffic was basically zero.

Also saw the aftermath of a crash that I swear happens once a week at this same spot outside the Troxy on Commercial Road - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5130442,-0.0451292,18.25z if you're interested - where an eastbound car didn't bother looking properly when turning right to get down the shortcut to the Limehouse Link tunnel and wiped out a westbound motorbike - unfortunately I'm guessing the quieter roads meant that the bike was traveling a lot quicker than they normally are in this situation as the bloke was unconscious and on a spinal board as they loaded him into the ambulance. What a horrible loving time to find yourself in hospital.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

peanut- posted:

Celeriac is pretty easy to prepare. You can grate it raw and mix it up with mayonnaise, some pepper and any other flavours that take your fancy. Fantastic in sandwiches or as a side dish anywhere you'd usually have coleslaw. Or you can just chop it into chunks and roast it, tasty that way too. I would mix it up with a few other types of vegetables when roasting though to make it more interesting.

Back to coffee chat I have a pretty sweet tooth but I prefer it without sugar - bitter is nice too! Sweet things definitely taste better when you also enjoy bitter flavours as well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

kingturnip posted:

poo poo's hosed, yo

I haven't seen 1/20 said anywhere? Has it changed today?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

TACD posted:

Nah I don't hate food, I just really hate cooking. And sometimes I'm not even bothered to cook a ready meal or make a sandwich, I just want to Not Be Hungry so I can actually get on with things.
You sound like the ideal target for Huel or Soylent. Good luck!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Went for a walk up to the local cemetery this afternoon which meant passing up the high st. Weird to see all the Christmas window displays still up in so many shops. Also some shops closed down cleared out completely.

Not many people about, I think people are taking it a bit more seriously this time, certainly one of my local friends said the other day he was much more scared now and whereas last lockdown he was going in peoples' houses, this time he's not (except for an elderly couple who can't get out at all who he supports).

Flayer posted:

Huel and other meal replacements (not Soylent obv) seem like a good idea to me BUT for one thing... my experience is that after about 2 days, I mix them up into a stiff paste and just eat them on a spoon in a big 'sweet paste' binge.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 8, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

stev posted:

I haven't seen 1/20 said anywhere? Has it changed today?

Ah, the BBC summary of their piece was confusing - it's "some parts of London" are 1/20. With 1/30 being the overall estimate

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In other Completely Normal news, I've just seen a planning application for a 47-storey, 1,048 dwelling *student accommodation* block. Lunacy.

This would be in an area that has no large colleges, just those scam "satellite campus" deals for places like the University of Northumbria that they sell to international students so they can say they studied in London/Canary Wharf. Oh and it's also on the same stretch of Marsh Wall that I've ranted about before that has/will have 7 of the 10 tallest residential blocks in the country within 500 metres of each other.

Still, at least I've got another one for my "BUT THE MARKET WILL CURE THE HOUSING CRISIS" folder, which is now basically just a link to the Tower Hamlets planning website.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
have you set up a concerned residents' association goddamnedtwisto

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Flayer posted:

Yea I've tried several of these types of things, some of them are gross and some of them are actually pretty good. I'm not interested in giving up 'regular' food at all but I have no problem replacing the occasional meal with a bar or shake or something.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

have you set up a concerned residents' association goddamnedtwisto

lol if you think they've ever listened to anyone who actually lives here (or at least lives below the 30th storey of one of the new blocks)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

TACD posted:

Yea I've tried several of these types of things, some of them are gross and some of them are actually pretty good. I'm not interested in giving up 'regular' food at all but I have no problem replacing the occasional meal with a bar or shake or something.

When I was 10 and living with my nan for a year, I was a bit porky so she bought me 3 weeks supply of meal replacement biscuits. I ate the lot in a single expensive biscuit binge and still had room for supper.

I just don't know how people manage to keep themselves under control near anything that tastes nice.
I tried explaining to my mother who used to stay with me once a week when I lived in London and who used to leave open boxes of Alpen around the place, that for me it's exactly the same as leaving an open bottle of sherry on the counter in the home of an alcoholic which she would never conceive of doing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Funny thing, I did almost the exact opposite - got a driving experience day and decided to give drifting a go and I just couldn't overcome my instinct to stop it sliding about. The instructor called it "impressive, but completely missing the point" which I think sums up a lot of my life.

Mine was with the army and they were not impressed with me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Like I know I rant about this a lot but you really need to see the sheer scale of the "redevelopment" of the Isle of Dogs to believe it:

to give you an idea of scale - the four identical yellow/brown blocks on the left (which you may recall having a cameo in my council housing history posts) are 22 stories tall, and are considerably closer to the camera than Canary Wharf.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Mine was with the army and they were not impressed with me.
"You missed the baby, you missed the blind man..."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lol if you think they've ever listened to anyone who actually lives here (or at least lives below the 30th storey of one of the new blocks)

Why would anyone even want to live 30 stories up, why have that as a selling point

What happens when the lift breaks

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Why would anyone even want to live 30 stories up, why have that as a selling point

What happens when the lift breaks

Nice view. And really tall modern flats tend to have at least four lifts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
would be a lot flatter if major hadn't made peace with the RA, probably

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

"You missed the baby, you missed the blind man..."

I wasn't a sniper.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
studies in Hong Kong and Singapore suggest that, holding density constant, home buyers prefer higher floors

the main barrier to just giving all involved ever longer vertical commutes is that a lift column takes up space in the entire tower, and people are deeply averse to shuttle lifts

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

peanut- posted:

Throw it in the bin, it tastes even worse than celery. I used it once mixed in with mashed potatoes I think, that hides the flavour somewhat.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've done that but in a minibus rather than a Routemaster and on ice rather than water and on a dark and winding country road rather than a nice wide carpark. It is pretty fun if you don't crash.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Gort posted:

Is it a binary choice between those two things?

SERVICE GUARANTEES A MOCCA

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Over 1300 deaths in the last 24 hours.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jesus Christ.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

would be a lot flatter if major hadn't made peace with the RA, probably

Maybe not - the two buildings just behind the rightmost tower of the Naval College/in front of the JP Morgan building is Pan Peninsula, a 48- and 38-storey development that is on the site of the former 15-storey Midland Bank HQ that was demolished after the South Quay bomb literally knocked it 6 inches back. The two buildings just to its right, South Quay Plaza 2 and 3 were also expanded upwards after being damaged in the bomb.

Come to think of it, at least three buildings in the City - the Gherkin, 25 Leadenhall Street, and the Heron Tower - are also on sites where the smaller buildings originally there were damaged beyond economic repair by IRA bombs (although with other buildings in-between for the latter two). I'm not saying the IRA were being funded by property developers to help stimulate the market, but I'm not *not* saying that either.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

peanut- posted:

Serve as an unnecessary side dish only in case you hate it, as many do (including me).

Celeriac-lovers in my family like it roasted with leeks and cheese.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Financial Times COVID chart is grim - we're now a major outlier for both cases and deaths compared to the EU average, with Spain, Germany, France and Italy now comfortably out of the worst of their spikes while we keep going up, up, up.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

The Financial Times COVID chart is grim - we're now a major outlier for both cases and deaths compared to the EU average, with Spain, Germany, France and Italy now comfortably out of the worst of their spikes while we keep going up, up, up.

We're 14 days past Christmas day - you'd expect to see the infections falling and deaths at least starting to plateau by now. Obviously there's a couple of days lag but still, that hesitation between cancelling Christmas in London and actually properly locking down is really showing itself here.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I understand that much much more than someone saying they "hate food" but then my single biggest takeaway from lockdown is that i really really miss going out for tea.

Not trying to belittle though. I could never understand people who take a dump in the office until there started to be 5 people in here instead of 50.

making GBS threads in the office is praxis.

I use so much more toilet paper since I became unemployed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/chrisgiles_/status/1347579076685524993?s=21

Editor of the FT explains how this is disastrous, but we're not (yet) setting any records we didn't reach in spring. The bigger numbers this time around are largely a result of more accurate reporting. If we get north of 2,000 deaths per day, though (which isn't implausible), then we can officially say we're in new territory.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the question occupying the minds of health authorities is whether the UK spike is due to the late lockdown or whether it's the UK strain - how dangerous is it, how intensely does one seal the borders, are previously sufficient measures still sufficient

it's certainly in the community in Denmark now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Has anyone in NI seen a fresh tomato recently - hit Tesco, sainsburys and lidl today to no avail.

Can definitely see the impact of the brexit supply problems, empty shelves abound