Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
How do you go about selling whiskey? Is it just the higher end stuff that people want or could I sell off a couple bottles of 1920 if I wanted to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Odd Mutant posted:

How do you go about selling whiskey? Is it just the higher end stuff that people want or could I sell off a couple bottles of 1920 if I wanted to?

Not that I would know about such a thing, but rumor has it there are many Facebook groups devoted to this.

You could probably sell stuff like 1920 if you’re willing to take a small loss. The majority of stuff sold is allocated bottles, I bet 75% of which is Weller/blantons(or other should be normal BT products).

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Odd Mutant posted:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If you're in any hunting/discussion facebook groups you could post something ambiguous "got this bottle, wonder if it could be a collectors item or something" and you may get private messages looking for it, or possibly some invites or links to a local secondary/trading group.
I basically found my way into a local group in a similar way on a post that wasn't even my own

usually its limited, allocated, and barrel picks that are sold and traded on secondary. Sometimes someone will be looking to clear out a cabinet and post regular bottles at a fair value
That said, probably not going to offload any 1920 for anything over msrp, but someone might take a bottle of it as a kicker on an uneven trade of other allocated/limited stuff

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I have now tried my run-of-the-mill Maker‘s Mark and I am not really impressed. It‘s not bad but I much prefer (run-of-the-mill) Bulleit. Which is fine by me because it‘s a bit cheaper in sales too (14€ vs. 17,50€).

I guess next I will try Bulleit Rye and the 10yo expressions. I also have a bottle of (run-of-the-mill) Knob Creek that‘s waiting to be opened.

Bourbon selection here in Europe is not that great but it‘s an interesting change from scotch.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Oban grew on me.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

It's probably more or a joke than anything, seeing that his channel isn't very serious, but I haven't really paid attention to that whole schtick.

Also having watched the part of the stream where he tries the scotch I feel kind of bad for him. Ardbeg Wee Beastie isn't exactly a gentle introduction into peated scotch.

If he's anything like me he'll eventually come around to peated and even heavily peated Scotch but never quite reconcile with the Ardbeg notes in particular.

I bought an Ardbeg 10 as my first big peated whisky back in the day and had convinced myself I was totally ready. I was not. Still can't finish that bottle.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I think I’m going to keep the GTS for now, open it on the next special occasion(maybe if I get a bonus this year?), and if I don’t like it, I’ll just sample it out locally for like 24/oz.

In the mean time, I’m trying to clear some shelf space, so I’m drinking down anything with less than 1/3 left. So far I’ve cashed a woodford double oaked and OF 1910, but still have a rare breed, Russel’s reserve, michters small batch, glenfiddich 12, Makers cask strength, and sadly some Aberlour A’bunadh.

I’ve decided not to drink anything else besides those options until they are all gone.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

If he's anything like me he'll eventually come around to peated and even heavily peated Scotch but never quite reconcile with the Ardbeg notes in particular.

I bought an Ardbeg 10 as my first big peated whisky back in the day and had convinced myself I was totally ready. I was not. Still can't finish that bottle.

It’s laphroaig and Talisker for me. I’ll never proclaim to be a peat lover, but I do really enjoy my bottle of Uigedail. Laphroaig 10 on the other hand? Well I will give anyone a really good deal on 3/4 of a bottle.

I’m still convinced my bottle of Talisker 10 went bad or something, I’ve never tasted anything so rotten.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

It’s laphroaig and Talisker for me. I’ll never proclaim to be a peat lover, but I do really enjoy my bottle of Uigedail. Laphroaig 10 on the other hand? Well I will give anyone a really good deal on 3/4 of a bottle.

I’m still convinced my bottle of Talisker 10 went bad or something, I’ve never tasted anything so rotten.

Same here for the Talisker 10. I bought a small bottle years ago and couldn't bring myself to finish it, it was just horrible. Whisky is a bit like pizza, even bad whisky is still good but that Talisker bottle was something weird.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Just walked into my tiny little liquor store and saw a bunch of Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye. I don't really like rye, but... whiskey of the year (new batch)! Don't think 132 proof is going to be a very warm introduction to rye though.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Nimmy posted:

Just walked into my tiny little liquor store and saw a bunch of Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye. I don't really like rye, but... whiskey of the year (new batch)! Don't think 132 proof is going to be a very warm introduction to rye though.

I thought i didn't like rye until I had some good rye. My favorite inexpensive rye is high west double rye. Maybe give that a try. First time I got what people meant when they said "baking spices" (my palate sucks).

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Gejimayu posted:

I thought i didn't like rye until I had some good rye. My favorite inexpensive rye is high west double rye. Maybe give that a try. First time I got what people meant when they said "baking spices" (my palate sucks).

Even though it's Tuesday I couldn't resist. This is awesome. It doesn't taste like pure grass like I got from Bulleit and even Whistlepig. The texture is like a really good scotch. I'm honestly stunned how good it is. I went in to the store intending to give rye another chance and was looking for either Michter's, Pikesville, or Rendezvous Rye. Just saw this on the shelf and couldn't resist because of the hype, but really glad I took the chance on it. I'll definitely get more rye in the future.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Nimmy posted:

Even though it's Tuesday I couldn't resist. This is awesome. It doesn't taste like pure grass like I got from Bulleit and even Whistlepig. The texture is like a really good scotch. I'm honestly stunned how good it is. I went in to the store intending to give rye another chance and was looking for either Michter's, Pikesville, or Rendezvous Rye. Just saw this on the shelf and couldn't resist because of the hype, but really glad I took the chance on it. I'll definitely get more rye in the future.

Awesome! I was disappointed with bulliet and baby saz. Took a chance in double rye because I had a mwnd waiting for me and kinda fell in love.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ohhh Lordy, are the senate runoff results a good enough reason to open that bottle of stagg....

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Plenty of reason to drink today.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My first Scotch was an Ardbeg 10. But I'd lived in Georgia (home of chacha) and Korea (where the Baiju flows free) so I loved it.

My buddy Don't Ask Kant and I were in a duck place in Ansan (a Chinese neighborhood in South Korea) at about 11 AM and they had a jar of herbed baiju listed at ~3$. We ordered it and they filled a half pint glass over the brim with it. We were eating meals out of self defense all day after that.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

spankmeister posted:

Plenty of reason to drink today.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Found out about Sortilege from an episode of Letterkenny; does it taste any better than the regular store brand maple flavored stuff like Crown?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone know much about the Jack Daniels Single Barrel, barrel proof rye that just came out?

Some guy I know said it’s going for $150 already on secondary, which sounds promising, as most JD stuff doesn’t demand a premium from taters unless it’s really special.

The few Reddit reviews I’ve read are glowingly positive.

I may have snagged a couple bottles today while running errands....

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I really hope I can find a bottle, someone was saying the shipments around here were slim

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Picked up wild turkey 101 yesterday, I think it's really good for a mid range bourbon (by Aus prices anyway), nice bit of rye spice and very drinkable considering the proof.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Anyone know much about the Jack Daniels Single Barrel, barrel proof rye that just came out?

Some guy I know said it’s going for $150 already on secondary, which sounds promising, as most JD stuff doesn’t demand a premium from taters unless it’s really special.

The few Reddit reviews I’ve read are glowingly positive.

I may have snagged a couple bottles today while running errands....

Who on earth would pay those kind of prices for Jack Daniels anything?

That's not even a whiskey snob thing. You just know that anything they'll make will be in enough numbers to satisfy demand.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

GD_American posted:

Who on earth would pay those kind of prices for Jack Daniels anything?

That's not even a whiskey snob thing. You just know that anything they'll make will be in enough numbers to satisfy demand.

There were a ton of them at my local Spec's today. Saw the post and considered it, but decided against it. Maybe if there hadn't been a 1792 Full Proof store pick I wasn't expecting.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

JD's normal rye was really the first rye I tried a few years ago. I liked it, but I don't think I could go back to it with some of the other stuff that's grabbed my palate since.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Any recommended/favorite blended scotches (at any price point, just good values)? I've been making more cocktails and drinking highballs and whiskey on the rocks more lately.

I'd list current favorites but I haven't discovered any super strong preferences (other than poo poo that's too cheap is awful, and that it seems like diminishing returns set in around the $50 mark [in NYC]) and don't want to bias the thread. I'm really just looking for an all-rounder to keep in stock and want to make sure I've explored most/all reasonable options before I settle.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I really rate spice tree

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Scythe posted:

Any recommended/favorite blended scotches (at any price point, just good values)? I've been making more cocktails and drinking highballs and whiskey on the rocks more lately.

I'd list current favorites but I haven't discovered any super strong preferences (other than poo poo that's too cheap is awful, and that it seems like diminishing returns set in around the $50 mark [in NYC]) and don't want to bias the thread. I'm really just looking for an all-rounder to keep in stock and want to make sure I've explored most/all reasonable options before I settle.

I'm a bit curious to see the recs too. I've settled on Grand Old Parr 12, in part because it's very affordable and also reasonable to drink straight. It won't stand in for something real smoky, it has just a whiff on the back end, but I also don't feel at all bad mixing it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scythe posted:

Light:
Compass Box Geat King Street Artistist blend
Nikka Days

Rich & sherried:
Antiquary 12
Naked Grouse

Smoky:
Great King Street Glasgow blend
JW bBlack Label

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

anything from Compass Box
Douglas Laing blends are usually good too (Big Peat, Scallywag, Rock Island)

Great cocktail mixers and not terrible on ice or mixed: Sheep Dip, Monkey Shoulder

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
So I’m trading those jack Daniels bottles straight up for stagg jr, which I’m pretty happy about. I’m a bit hesitant because the JD rye is getting fabulous reviews, but I normally prefer bourbon over rye about 99% of the time.

With stagg jr now trading for $150, I think it’s a safe trade. I don’t expect a JD rye product to shoot up more than that. But I’m still hesitant for some reason.

I think my current plan is to trade for two stagg JRs, and then maybe sell the other one to someone to find another bottle of Glendronach 18 while it’s still 2019 bottling. This JD rye may be good, but I really doubt it outduels a Glendronach 18.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Scythe posted:

I like Johnnie Walker Green. Technically a blended malt, but it's really solid.

DoctaFun posted:

So I’m trading those jack Daniels bottles straight up for stagg jr, which I’m pretty happy about. I’m a bit hesitant because the JD rye is getting fabulous reviews, but I normally prefer bourbon over rye about 99% of the time.

With stagg jr now trading for $150, I think it’s a safe trade. I don’t expect a JD rye product to shoot up more than that. But I’m still hesitant for some reason.

I think my current plan is to trade for two stagg JRs, and then maybe sell the other one to someone to find another bottle of Glendronach 18 while it’s still 2019 bottling. This JD rye may be good, but I really doubt it outduels a Glendronach 18.

You may not have to limit to 2019 GD. There was very limited production in 1992 [edit: 2002 is what I meant], and I've heard whispers they haven't used any new product in the 2020 bottling either. You're probably safe with an April or earlier 2020 bottling.

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 9, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Light:
Compass Box Geat King Street Artistist blend
Nikka Days

Rich & sherried:
Antiquary 12
Naked Grouse

Smoky:
Great King Street Glasgow blend
JW bBlack Label

The Glasgow Blend whips. It has both sherry and peat smoke notes. Goes for ~$35 here.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I decided to focus on blended scotch specifically, i.e. a blend of malt & grain whiskies. With blended malt my recommendations are anything from Compass Box and anything from Douglas Laing.

I am currently enjoying a Douglas Laing Rock Island 18yo and it is spectacular. Extremely good value.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I need a new bottle of something smokey. Which Ardbeg should I get? I’ve had the Uigedail before and loved it, should I get it again or try something like An Oa?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Corryvreckan

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I need a new bottle of something smokey. Which Ardbeg should I get? I’ve had the Uigedail before and loved it, should I get it again or try something like An Oa?

If you liked Uigedail consider Laphroaig Lore.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I found An Oa to be a bit too sweet.

My favorite smoke bombs (ignoring price) are Uigedail > Corryvreckan > Wee Beastie.

Outside of Ardbeg, I also like Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which is smoky in a campfire and bacon sort of way.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

In regards to scotch I usually kept a bottle of Glenlivet 12 around, and I just finished a bottle of Royal Brackla 12 that I really liked. Any suggestions on where to go from there? I'm also open to trying different styles, as long as it's not a super huge peat bomb. I'm trying to stay in the $50-60 range if possible.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So I've been drinking more bourbon lately and thought I'd post some (bad) thoughts on what I've been drinking.

Old Forester 1920 - aside from the one bottle of Birthday Bourbon I somehow finagled 7-ish years ago, I've never really been a fan of Old Forester. But I quite like the 1920. IT's about $55 locally and I'm a fan of the higher proof. Can toss a few ice cubes in which opens up the flavor as you continue drinking it.

Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select - Lots of hype here. I'm generally not a fan of Jack and this basically tastes like Jack but less sweet. Not a fan. I'm now realizing that the hype might have been for the barrel strength. I'd be interested to try that as the select is only 47%. Anyway - if you don't like Jack I'd be wary of this.

Makers 101 and Makers Cask Strength - Locally, I can get the cask strength for $50 for a 1L. Makers 101 is like $40 for a 750mL. Makers 101 is good, but the cask strength blows it away. Higher abv, more flavor, and somehow cheaper?? I just went and picked up another bottle of the cask strength I like it so much. I like regular makers but this is a clear upgrade. If you happen to see one of those special "stave" versions, pick that up too.

Knob Creek Single Barrel Select - Excellent. I haven't had alot of Knob Creek and I'm not sure why, but this is making me re-think Knob Creek. ~$50 locally, 120 proof, lots of flavor. Bought another bottle of this too.

Eagle Rare 10 - Probably one of my all time favorite bourbons. I wish it was more widely available. Unfortunately, in NY (actually the northeast) it's really difficult to find. If I do find it at a store, there's usually only 1 or 2 bottles and they're priced closer to $40. At $40, you're starting to compete with cask strength offerings. Ugh. I still buy it when I see it, but I won't pay more than $40.

In summary - Old Forester 1920 and Knob Creek Single Barrel Select are both excellent. Different tastes but I thought both were great. Makers Cask Strength is also great if you like Makers. Not a fan of the Jack.

Next, I'd really like to try a Willett product. The store only had a 1.75L gigantic bottle for $70. Anything specific to look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Casu Marzu posted:

In regards to scotch I usually kept a bottle of Glenlivet 12 around, and I just finished a bottle of Royal Brackla 12 that I really liked. Any suggestions on where to go from there? I'm also open to trying different styles, as long as it's not a super huge peat bomb. I'm trying to stay in the $50-60 range if possible.

If you like the glenlivet, I think both the 12 and 15 year glenfiddich are quite nice. The 12 is just a super easy drinker, I get apple/pear notes, but find it a bit more interesting than the glenlivet.

The 15 year is a bit more complex, still sweet, but a little spicier on the palate I think.

Or, everything Glendronach is awesome. All their stuff is fully matured in sherry barrels(at least their sherried expressions).

Glenmorangie Quinta ruban is another option.