Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Charles posted:

They said the electronics are rated to 120C

I dont think we are actually querying the Rivian, it was more someone appeared to be saying that cars wont experience worse than 54C and thence not understanding that yes, cars actually DO need to be capable of handling worse because there is realisitically worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

It gets really hot over pavement.

Even hotter inside a car.

Yeah, I get that. The phrase “ambient air surface temperature” doesn’t make any sense though.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Maybe I'm assuming too much but I figured if the whole chamber was 125° then it's recreating what it's like when the air temperature reaches that high but yeah I guess we don't know if the chambers have pavement and actually have UV rays etc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
im pretty confident that Rivian's engineering team is competent unlike some other EV startups

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Sure would be nice to see GM & Tesla get their federal tax rebates back just in time for the next generation of EVs coming by the end of this year.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yeah, with dems controlling all 3 bodies, it should be easier for Biden to restore the tax credit to domestic vehicles. That'd be perfect for my lease ending on my Volt in a year and change.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im pretty confident that Rivian's engineering team is competent unlike some other EV startups

hey, be nice to nissan :(

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

Westy543 posted:

Yeah, with dems controlling all 3 bodies, it should be easier for Biden to restore the tax credit to domestic vehicles. That'd be perfect for my lease ending on my Volt in a year and change.

Biden wants/wanted to remove the ev tax credit fwiw

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Westy543 posted:

Joe’s biggest donors are oil and gas companies lol

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Shamino posted:

Huh, yeah, it looks like they want to have a voucher thing. Bidens policy page references a 'Clean Cars for America' proposal, which has been pushed by some D senators.

https://www.democrats.senate.gov/ne...rbon-emissions-

quote:

Making clean vehicles affordable by giving consumers a substantial cash voucher to trade-in their gas-powered cars and buy a U.S.-assembled and affordable plug-in electric, plug-in hybrid, or hydrogen fuel cell car.

I guess I can kinda see the advantage, especially for folks that don't have the tax liability for the credit. Looks kinda complicated though, though how much more than the current system might be arguable.

Here's some detail https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Clean%20Cars%20for%20America%20-%20Detailed%20Summary.pdf

quote:

 Consumers wishing to trade in a gas vehicle for a new vehicle could receive a point of
sale rebate starting at $3000, and ramping up based on the zero-emission range of the
vehicle.
 In order to ensure lower income families benefit from this program, consumers with
household incomes less than or equal to 200 percent of the federal poverty would receive
an additional $2000 rebate for new vehicles, or a 20% rebate to purchase used vehicles
built prior to the program taking effect.
 An additional incentive worth an additional 50% of the base incentive would also be
available for vehicles made in America with strong labor standards, as well as $500 for
vehicles with 50% domestic content and a US manufactured battery. These bonus
vouchers would convey to consumers for the first time in a simple way which models are
made in America with strong labor standards, and give them an incentive to buy those
vehicles.
 To receive a voucher, consumers would first pre-certify their gas-powered trade in
vehicle through a Department of Transportation (DOT) website to certify their vehicle is
eligible to trade-in under the program, and to also look up the voucher value for the
vehicle they would like to purchase under the program. Their trade-in vehicle must be at
least 8 years old and in driving condition.
 Once a consumer receives DOT certification, that person would take their vehicle to a
dealer or any other registered business that will properly dispose of the vehicle, and will
receive a voucher once the vehicle is turned in.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Wibla posted:

-25F? That's not particularly impressive.

I started a 1971 Chevy Caprice at -40şF/şC in 1975 or so. Lyndonville VT.

How? Jump start from a Semi that had been running all night long.

It didn't sound so good.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Joe’s biggest donors are oil and gas companies lol

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Shamino posted:

Did he ditch the thing about wanting uncapped tax credits for domestic EVs? Because that was his on record policy like a month ago. It'd be super recent if he wants to get rid of it.

Edit: https://cleantechnica.com/2020/11/01/joseph-biden-aims-to-improve-us-ev-tax-credit-restore-it-for-tesla-gm/

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 8, 2021

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I think you are misunderstanding. The chamber goes to 125, the parts while operating get hotter than that.
Well the inside of a car where I live (Vegas) can easily get to 150 in the car when it's off and doing nothing. Surfaces are close to 200.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/news/tesla-vehicles-shipped-with-missing-bolts-and-gaps-between-panels

Someone has been trolling NHTSA and found some ... interesting..... Tesla issues.

https://twitter.com/BoziTatarevic/status/1346831804062425089

All claimed defects are linked to official NHTSA reports. Also on show are issues with other cars if you are interested in looking.

This one is an absolute beauty

https://t.co/FQJGLnHmRw?amp=1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Somebody parked an Enyaq on my street yesterday.

Looks like I didn't get a profile pic but it looks... fine, like a slightly chunkier version of the Hyundai wagon in front of it, not a giant SUV.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody parked an Enyaq on my street yesterday.

Looks like I didn't get a profile pic but it looks... fine, like a slightly chunkier version of the Hyundai wagon in front of it, not a giant SUV.

Nice! I guess that means we'll be seeing some journalist demos soon.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

I started a 1971 Chevy Caprice at -40ºF/ºC in 1975 or so. Lyndonville VT.

How? Jump start from a Semi that had been running all night long.

It didn't sound so good.

I cold-started a 1987 Mazda 626 in -22F once, it very nearly didn't want to, we figured out that the coolant was probably slush a bit later :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm taking a Nissan Leaf over a mountain pass today, the roadside weather station says it's -27C / -16F on the top.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wibla posted:

I cold-started a 1987 Mazda 626 in -22F once, it very nearly didn't want to, we figured out that the coolant was probably slush a bit later :v:

-25 F start at like 9 pm outside Denver Airport for my E30 BMW 3-series, I'm convinced it only wanted to start because I'd just taken it for an oil change. Still took the radio about an hour to warm up and start working.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I once started my gasoline engined motor vehicle when temperature was a number

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Is it mentioned in the maintenance manuals for the EVs that have water cooled systems that the freezing point of the coolant should be checked regularly? Same for the pH? It's already a neglected item on ICE vehicles, I suspect it will be even worse with EVs.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

As I understand it, EV coolant systems are typically sealed (and many will run in heating mode to keep batteries at an operable temperature when it's very cold). It's probably only practical to check the coolant if you have the work space and array of tools typically found at a professional mechanic's shop.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It's mentioned a few times in my Kia Soul manual. I haven't looked yet but it seems pretty accessible.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Standard range / RWD model Y is now on their site.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Is it mentioned in the maintenance manuals for the EVs that have water cooled systems that the freezing point of the coolant should be checked regularly? Same for the pH? It's already a neglected item on ICE vehicles, I suspect it will be even worse with EVs.

I neglect the poo poo out of it in my Prius and its fine when I do occasionally get it checked. Is it pink and is there enough? It's fine.

E- I'm sure there's some conventional wisdom (if not outright instruction) by now like "don't leave a car parked outside overnight in -40C without the block heater plugged in and maybe a battery warmer if you want to start it in the morning" with ICE cars, only "don't leave an EV parked outside overnight in -40C without the charger plugged in if you want it to turn on in the morning".

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 8, 2021

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

harperdc posted:

-25 F start at like 9 pm outside Denver Airport for my E30 BMW 3-series, I'm convinced it only wanted to start because I'd just taken it for an oil change. Still took the radio about an hour to warm up and start working.

You just have to whisper “remember stalingraaaad...” and the beamers start right up

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Charles posted:

It's mentioned a few times in my Kia Soul manual. I haven't looked yet but it seems pretty accessible.

The i3 has a "coolant reservoir for drive" that is for the electric motor and other electric systems, not the battery. I imagine it's the same thing for the Soul.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

McPhearson posted:

The i3 has a "coolant reservoir for drive" that is for the electric motor and other electric systems, not the battery. I imagine it's the same thing for the Soul.

So does the teslas. Not hard to check at all.

Finger Prince posted:

I neglect the poo poo out of it in my Prius and its fine when I do occasionally get it checked. Is it pink and is there enough? It's fine.

E- I'm sure there's some conventional wisdom (if not outright instruction) by now like "don't leave a car parked outside overnight in -40C without the block heater plugged in and maybe a battery warmer if you want to start it in the morning" with ICE cars, only "don't leave an EV parked outside overnight in -40C without the charger plugged in if you want it to turn on in the morning".

An EV will generally turn on, but the energy efficiency will be rear end until things warm up enough. Preheating (with the charger plugged in!) before leaving helps a lot with that :v:

They also have some logic to avoid way too low (or high) battery temperatures, but those (generally) give up at 20% remaining battery or thereabouts.

Back when I was in uni, my car had a block heater and cabin heater that ran on a timer, it saved a lot of wear on the motor, and me a lot of time scraping ice off the windows.

Now I just hit a button on the app and the car is ice-free and ready to go in 30 minutes.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

ilkhan posted:

Standard range / RWD model Y is now on their site.

Wasn't this something they said they had cancelled?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Wasn't this something they said they had cancelled?
Yeah. But it's there, along with 7 seater. Couple grand more than they originally said, so maybe they just decided it wasn't worth it at their original price.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I actually don’t! I have experience with DC Fast charging which is why I was hired. Rivian looked at all the other CCS chargers out there and the vast majority of them are quite ugly! So we decided to make our own.

please tell me it's going to be better than whatever trash EVGo/Electrify America uses that will error out 5 times before it actually starts a charging session.

also: shout-out to whomever made the decision to use an induction stove in the cooking module you shove in the side tunnel. It's going to be effectively impossible to use gas camp stoves out West going forward what with the whole 'wildfires wipe out a town or three every year' thing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

please tell me it's going to be better than whatever trash EVGo/Electrify America uses that will error out 5 times before it actually starts a charging session.

From my understanding the complexity of the CCS protocol contributes a lot to this. I mean... standing up a full network stack (using IPv6 no less) just to tell the charger to deliver X amount of current. So many points for something to go wrong.

I've also seen mentions that some parts of the protocol are a bit vague, leading to slightly different behaviour between vehicles and chargers alike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Is there some open source CCS code somewhere?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't know whose fault it is but I've had both j1772 and Chademo bug out on me. So it's not unique to CCS.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jimmy Carter posted:

also: shout-out to whomever made the decision to use an induction stove in the cooking module you shove in the side tunnel. It's going to be effectively impossible to use gas camp stoves out West going forward what with the whole 'wildfires wipe out a town or three every year' thing.

Fun fact! The company that manages EVGo/Electrify America (ELAM) stations is Greenlots which is where I came from!

The absolute nightmare trash-heap of code that makes up Greenlots main product is an absolute sight to behold. It's so bad that ELAM has sued Greenlots multiple times as well.

Fun story:

There are several ex-ELAM guys on my team and when management was deciding on whether or not to make our own OCPP (The protocol used to manage charging stations) server, they asked the ELAM guys what they thought of Greenlots. All 5 of them said in no uncertain terms that if management decided to use Greenlots, they would quit. We decided to roll our own. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ola posted:

Is there some open source CCS code somewhere?

Not really. The entire system is quite complicated. The closest you are going to get is:
RISE-V2G
or
OpenV2G

RISE-V2G focuses on just ISO15118 whereas OpenV2G has ISO15118 and DIN70121 (the predecessor to ISO15118.)

The big issue you will run into is that an entire CCS system is quite complex. You need (at a minimum):

- A dispenser cabinet unit (DCU): A board that lives in the actual dispenser you plug the car into
- A Power cabinet unit (PCU): A board that lives in the power cabinets
- A power isolation monitoring device (IMD): Ensure you don't kill people.
- A power energy module (PEM): The board that opens the relays to give power to the EV itself.

Not to mention all the peripherals you need such as coolant pumps, fans, humidity and pressure sensors, etc etc.

You could probably combine the PCU and IMD, but then you have to go through high voltage UL certification which is a pain.

In our case, the DCU's and PCU's are running Buildroot as I happen to be a developer and maintainer. :v:

Edit*
For the first year on this project, I used 3 BeagleBone Blacks with CANBUS capes for testing.
1 for the PEV
1 for the DCU
1 for the PCU

Edit edit*
CCS is just a ton of XMLS messages over TCP or TLS (DIN uses TCP, ISO15118 uses TLS.) :v:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 8, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Not really. The entire system is quite complicated. The closest you are going to get is:
RISE-V2G
or
OpenV2G

RISE-V2G focuses on just ISO15118 whereas OpenV2G has ISO15118 and DIN70121 (the predecessor to ISO15118.)

The big issue you will run into is that an entire CCS system is quite complex. You need (at a minimum):

- A dispenser cabinet unit (DCU): A board that lives in the actual dispenser you plug the car into
- A Power cabinet unit (PCU): A board that lives in the power cabinets
- A power isolation monitoring device (IMD): Ensure you don't kill people.
- A power energy module (PEM): The board that opens the relays to give power to the EV itself.

Not to mention all the peripherals you need such as coolant pumps, fans, humidity and pressure sensors, etc etc.

You could probably combine the PCU and IMD, but then you have to go through high voltage UL certification which is a pain.

In our case, the DCU's and PCU's are running Buildroot as I happen to be a developer and maintainer. :v:

Edit*
For the first year on this project, I used 3 BeagleBone Blacks with CANBUS capes for testing.
1 for the PEV
1 for the DCU
1 for the PCU

Edit edit*
CCS is just a ton of XMLS messages over TCP or TLS (DIN uses TCP, ISO15118 uses TLS.) :v:

Thank you very much for this! It's about time I started learning about this. In your opinion, could you use the CCS logic without DC power in order to do fancy AC charging with car ID? Perhaps with updates to the protocol?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ola posted:

Thank you very much for this! It's about time I started learning about this. In your opinion, could you use the CCS logic without DC power in order to do fancy AC charging with car ID? Perhaps with updates to the protocol?

The big issue with AC charging is there isn't much logic to it. The EV plugs in and the EVSE provides a PWM signal which the EV has to comply with.

6A = 10% duty cycle
12A = 20% duty cycle
18A = 30% duty cycle
24A = 40% duty cycle
30A = 50% duty cycle
40 = 66% duty cycle
48 = 80% duty cycle
65 = 90% duty cycle
75 = 94% duty cycle
80 = 96% duty cycle

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

The big issue with AC charging is there isn't much logic to it. The EV changes a PWM signal to tell the charger how much power it needs, and that's about it. To answer your question though, yeah, the protocol could be updated, but it probably won't happen. :v:

Isn't it the other way around? At least for J1772... The EVSE advertises it's maximum output via a PWM signal...... The car controls the EVSE by changing the resistance.