Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I like coffee and it's not for the caffeine because I switched to de-caf because I was drinking ridiculous amounts and loving myself up.

I also drink it black so it's not for the sugar and milk either.

[edit] There are 57 baked beans in a tin of Heinz Baked Beans and that is the maximum amount of beans you should try and fit up your arse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Saros posted:

Duallit is the manufacturer for the Hotel Chocolat Hot choc machine and their milk frother is both literally 1/2 the price and the exact same mechanism, 50£ extra for a copper finish and a worse handle oh the wonder of marketing.

Is it this one? https://www.dualit.com/products/new-milk-frother

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

Has anyone in NI seen a fresh tomato recently - hit Tesco, sainsburys and lidl today to no avail.

Can definitely see the impact of the brexit supply problems, empty shelves abound

We (Lidl Lisburn) got produce yesterday and today after not having anything since new years eve.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Tomatoes are out of season.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Has anyone in NI seen a fresh tomato recently - hit Tesco, sainsburys and lidl today to no avail.

Can definitely see the impact of the brexit supply problems, empty shelves abound

Was in Tesco in Lisburn a few days ago and they had a handful of packets. No idea what it's like today though!

Lisburn seems to be where all the tomatoes are...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Yeah it's really starting to show in the supermarkets. Only been able to get utterly green bananas this last week. Got some on Monday and they still aren't ripe :manning:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Dead Goon posted:

Tomatoes are out of season.

Is wanting to eat a tomato in January neo liberalism

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mebh posted:

Good to know! I am not at the point of ph testing my coffee yet but with staying inside for another year it's only a matter of time.

E: I thought we learned with the Brussels sprouts argument vs broccoli a while ago. We all have wildly different tastebuds and that's OK!

Only did the Ph stuff because of my messed up stomach.

I buy the shittiest/cheapest ground coffee for this as my tastebuds are not sophisticated at all so i may as well save on the money. :homebrew:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I was 10 and living with my nan for a year, I was a bit porky so she bought me 3 weeks supply of meal replacement biscuits. I ate the lot in a single expensive biscuit binge and still had room for supper.

I just don't know how people manage to keep themselves under control near anything that tastes nice.
I tried explaining to my mother who used to stay with me once a week when I lived in London and who used to leave open boxes of Alpen around the place, that for me it's exactly the same as leaving an open bottle of sherry on the counter in the home of an alcoholic which she would never conceive of doing.
When I say they’re pretty good I don’t mean they’re like a regular chocolate bar, I wouldn’t want to eat loads. They’re also very filling!

But yea I’m not great at self-control around snacks either. I generally just try to keep snacks out of the house and have a simple routine for what I eat every day; I’m perfectly happy eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day and just varying what I eat in the evening. Makes it dead easy to hit a calorie goal when only one meal changes each day.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1347590552863305728

Worst_person_right.jpg

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Wasn't he made aware of the danger in September?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The new strain or Dan Hodges?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

We (Lidl Lisburn) got produce yesterday and today after not having anything since new years eve.

The nearest i get to a tomato these days is eating a can of baked beans.

Is Bow Street Mall still going?, lived in digs on Seymour Avenue for couple years back in 1990.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

stev posted:

Wasn't he made aware of the danger in September?

The official line is that the new strain was discovered in October. Once they knew about it, they found it in samples taken in September, so that's accepted as when it showed up. At some point between October and December, they worked out that it was more transmissible. The Tory line is that the government was briefed on the nature of the new strain on the morning of the 18th, and if that's not true then no one involved has been willing to break ranks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

The official line is that the new strain was discovered in October. Once they knew about it, they found it in samples taken in September, so that's accepted as when it showed up. At some point between October and December, they worked out that it was more transmissible. The Tory line is that the government was briefed on the nature of the new strain on the morning of the 18th, and if that's not true then no one involved has been willing to break ranks.

Didn't Matt Hancock cite it the week before that?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Didn't Matt Hancock cite it the week before that?

I think he mentioned being told about a new strain but not that he'd had the full briefing about it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It's possible, but at the time of the "Christmas is cancelled, sort of" announcement the general sentiment was of something politically convenient being pulled out of the bag at the last moment.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Tarnop posted:

Boris Lied People Died.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
NI goons : if any of you have a ps5 (disc edition), I will agree to a swap deal and send you an only partially eaten pack of cherry tomatoes.

Pm me if interested.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
My grandmother's been took to hospital with COVID and isn't expected to survive. My niece has also told me she and her partner have lost their sense of taste and smell yesterday. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tarnop posted:

It's possible, but at the time of the "Christmas is cancelled, sort of" announcement the general sentiment was of something politically convenient being pulled out of the bag at the last moment.

Right, but I at least got that impression because in the Commons the week before I'm *certain* Hancock used it as justification for the massive spike in London, and at the time it seemed like a convenient lie to excuse them putting London in T2 despite still having some of the highest numbers in the country.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Olpainless posted:

My grandmother's been took to hospital with COVID and isn't expected to survive. My niece has also told me she and her partner have lost their sense of taste and smell yesterday. gently caress. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Sorry man. Hope they are all ok, although for your gran if the worst happens I hope she is comfortable.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, but I at least got that impression because in the Commons the week before I'm *certain* Hancock used it as justification for the massive spike in London, and at the time it seemed like a convenient lie to excuse them putting London in T2 despite still having some of the highest numbers in the country.

You're probably right, there's too much history happening too fast for me to keep up

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Convex posted:

Sorry man. Hope they are all ok, although for your gran if the worst happens I hope she is comfortable.

Yeah, this. :smith:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gonna get growin some tamatas i think

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

goddamnedtwisto posted:

14 December according to this

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

gonna get growin some tamatas i think
I want to try to grow one of these, but I don't know if I have the climate without a greenhouse.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Convex posted:

Thank you. I'm trying to take some comfort that she'll be able to see my grandad again afterwards. ... I'm not normally particularly religious but it's something to hold on to.

I'm literally doing work and reading poo poo on here now just to take my mind away from it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, this is how I feel it was, trying to blame figures on 'scary new mutant' as opposed to 'we're letting schools turn into loving plague factories'.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My hot take on coffee is that coffee is good but caffeine is bad.

I accidentally went like 2-3 weeks without having any caffeine (wasn't working or going out anywhere and couldn't be arsed to use the machine) and then when I tried having a coffee it made me feel awful - just very unpleasantly wired and tense.

Also my sleep has improved massively and I just generally feel a lot less groggy through the day.

I listened to the Caffeine episode of "Say Why to Drugs" which is a really excellent podcast with Scroobius Pip and Dr. Suzy Gage where they talk about the appeal, affects, pros, cons of different kinds of drugs but not in a scalding way:

https://play.acast.com/s/saywhytodrugs/caffeine

Anyway she works as a drug researcher at a university and she said that at their department meetings they have two pots of coffee - normal and decaf, and anybody who's ever done any research into caffeine always has decaf. Effectively what caffeine does is not "wake you up" or whatever - it brings you out of withdrawal. That lovely tired feeling you get before having a coffee, and the feeling you get of suddenly being awake and feeling good - yeah, the awake and feeling good part is how you feel without caffeine at all, the lovely part is how you feel when in caffeine withdrawal.

As far as making coffee - we have a fancy bean-to-cup Delonghi machine and it's amazing - they're about £300 but we got ours as a wedding gift from my wife's well-off aunt and it's been a godsend. Really excellent coffee - you have to play around a bit with grind size, bean amount, amount of water, water temp (though you only have to do this once really and then you can usually just tweak one factor, usually amount of water, for different kinds of beans) but once you nail it you get really great tasting coffee with hardly any bitterness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's so many less lovely and less harmful stimulants but all of them got banned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a skidplate. *This* is a skidpan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khgybH3OUh8&t=186s

I would pay so much money to have a go at this, there's surely enough old Routemasters knocking around for one of the driving experience days to offer it?

(also go back to 2:10 for some sick bus simulator action 20 years before a German even thought of writing job shovelware)

I did that coming home this evening. Albeit less impressive in a corsa than a bus.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Just Another Lurker posted:

The nearest i get to a tomato these days is eating a can of baked beans.

Is Bow Street Mall still going?, lived in digs on Seymour Avenue for couple years back in 1990.

I hardly ever enter it, but yeah it is still going, last I heard they shut the M and S in there.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We're 14 days past Christmas day - you'd expect to see the infections falling and deaths at least starting to plateau by now. Obviously there's a couple of days lag but still, that hesitation between cancelling Christmas in London and actually properly locking down is really showing itself here.

I speculated at the time that maybe the new variant was being played up in apocalyptic terms to scare Johnson into taking any action at all

You had a better read though, they do seem to have been rattled

Mebh
May 10, 2010

peanut- posted:

In a fit of new year stupidity I signed up for a vegetable box delivery. Anyone know what a human does with a celeriac?

Peel it, cut the roots off, Dice it into chips, toss it in olive oil, paprika and chicken or veg boullion (salt if you have that) throw it in the oven at 180 for 30-40min depending on your oven strength and how thick you cut the chips. You may want to shake the pan half way through. Lots of moisture will come out and they'll shrink up massively.

Eat dipped into mayo and or ketchup like French fries.

It's low carb so I make it as a fries sub for my diabetic partner a lot and it's close enough that it doesn't spike her blood sugar.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Over 1300 deaths in the last 24 hours.
Meanwhile we're business as usual, back to work next week, guess should just hope I don't get coughed at or anything :emo:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Olpainless posted:

Sorry to hear this :( I hope you have people around you to lean on. If not my DMs are open.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Meanwhile we're business as usual, back to work next week, guess should just hope I don't get coughed at or anything :emo:

Depending on what you do and your coworkers you could take a page from the NEU and refuse to work in dangerous conditions under Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996. Demand to see the risk assessment, keep an eagle eye on any breaches of it and kick up a huge fuss about the whole thing, particularly if there is an alternative way of working that they just don't want to do.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
In covid news

https://twitter.com/vplus/status/1347567240745537536

Interestingly I saw some US commentary to the effect that the US would take a while yet to spin up mass injection sites anyway and wouldn't hit the supply limit for a while, and could watch the UK to see how the strategy shakes out in the meanwhile

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

namesake posted:

Depending on what you do and your coworkers you could take a page from the NEU and refuse to work in dangerous conditions under Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996. Demand to see the risk assessment, keep an eagle eye on any breaches of it and kick up a huge fuss about the whole thing, particularly if there is an alternative way of working that they just don't want to do.
We're key workers and we've already seen risk assessments (lol), so I think we might be out of luck here