Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is a Roomba an option?

I've been debating getting one; my whole apartment is hardwood/linoleum but also I've got a bunch of ethernet cables running around :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sab669 posted:

Is a Roomba an option?

I've been debating getting one; my whole apartment is hardwood/linoleum but also I've got a bunch of ethernet cables running around :thunk:
In my experience, Roombas aren't up to the task of most pet hair. They may pick it up, but the canister will be full after doing about a third of a single room.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
One of the best gifts I’ve ever gotten was a Shark vacuum with the TruePet package.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I have the Dyson v8 cordless for pets, and it’s awesome. Just hangs out on the wall charging, you grab it, vacuum for like 5 minutes real quick to get the hairs, dump the canister and put it back on the wall. Super fast and no fuss and gets ALLLLLL the hair.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Get a robot vacuum.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

God Hole posted:

tl:dr I tried to use negative punishment to curb my 1yo shelter dog's leash pulling tendency. his reaction to this has been to pull compulsively & constantly now, and over the past few weeks he has grown aggressive to other dogs. I feel like our two main outlets for his high energy are being jeopardized now along with our relationship. Not sure how to turn this around.

pictured: a sleepy happy boy after a perfect day out on the trail:

the silky leash method worked wonders!

in retrospect, he knew very well that i wasn't enjoying the constant pulling. what hadn't occurred to me was that he just didn't know what else to do instead, so constant reinforcement for positive behaviors + treat rewards has helped bridge that gap (even in just a couple days). the anti-social behaviors he started to develop have basically all evaporated away.

thanks a lot everyone!

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

He's so cute! I love him!

Glad those methods helped, he seems like a brilliant boy :3:

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
We adopted a greyhound about a month ago and named her Starbuck because :bsg:. She's more of a "normal dog" than most greyhounds. Part of that could be that she was fostered in a house with four other dogs, so she often seems bored and mopey around our house, especially as my partner and I both work from home. She also doesn't really run around our yard unless she's playing with other dogs, so we try to invite dogfriends over when we can.

Pictured: Starbuck enjoying her lickmat

Last weekend, we tried to have a doggy playdate with our neighbor's pit mix puppy Birdie, who's a bit smaller than Starbuck. Starbuck has met and played with Birdie before and was mostly fine, though Starbuck started to play a little rough with Birdie towards the end when they were both tired (putting her jaws around Birdie's neck). She calmed down once I separated her and put her muzzle on. Birdie seemed fine and her owners were remarkably chill with it, so we didn't think too much of it. This time, Starbuck just dialed up the roughness from the get-go and started jumping on Birdie and kind of pinning her down with her weight. I don't think it was real aggression since Starbuck seemed playful rather than threatening, but it seemed like bullying behavior. I separated them and put Starbuck's muzzle on and leash on, but she kept trying to lunge towards Birdie when they were close.

Birdie didn't seem to like it and mostly avoided Starbuck once I had her leashed, so her owner (who again was very chill with the whole thing) took Birdie home and it was a failure of a playdate. I'm not really sure why it happened. My assumption is that it was a size thing since Starbuck didn't do anything remotely like that the day before when we had two other greys over (who are the same size or bigger than her). We haven't let her off-leash with other smaller dogs so we don't have a ton of data points here. Anyways, feels bad to maybe have a bully dog.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Generally speaking, I think as long as both dogs tails are up and the "aggressor" backs off if the "victim" indicates No More then I think they're fine. But at the same time, my hound can definitely be a bully at the dog park with strangers, so I've stopped going (like before Corona I stopped going) and understand where you're coming from. I did get a second dog and they rough house a lot in the way you described, but their tails are always wagging and if 1 lets out a real whimper/whine they break it up and settle down.

Did your neighbor agree it was a failure?

e; also something I was reminded of yesterday, dogs often sneeze while playing as an indicator of the fact that it's just play. So if you see that from either dog, generally a good sign.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 6, 2021

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Sab669 posted:

e; also something I was reminded of yesterday, dogs often sneeze while playing as an indicator that it's just play. So if you see that from either dog, generally a good sign.

They also bounce around a lot too while play fighting, which is another sign that they are doing it in good fun! I have two goldens that basically spend all day roughhousing together, and we hear and see a lot of the sneezing behavior Sab was talking about. To humans, though, it for sure looks worse than it is since the dogs are coming at one another with open mouths and all of that... but to my understanding, their mouthing each other on the face and neck is the dog equivalent of kids play wrestling.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just realized I have a video I recorded like 2 dogs ago where my hound even sneezes at my pit (who always instigates rough housing) after kicking her butt :) https://photos.app.goo.gl/9R9pvBaHYV9z92YJA

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Unsolicited corgi pic

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

My girlfriend and I just adopted an approximately one-year-old mix of feist, lab, and hound (probably) and named him Grendel. He is very sweet and loves chilling on the couch. We're up on all of his vaccinations and other vet stuff and we're trying to get a training session scheduled to help with a few things, so I think we're pretty on top of everything.

However, there's a big issue that has recently gotten much worse. On walks, he was always very interested in other dogs, pulling and pretty much needing to be pulled the other way or have them disappear from view before he would continue. That was annoying, but manageable. The stopping and staring has now turned into barking and lunging, and he gets so anxious and scared from the ordeal that he gets nervous diarrhea. This happens every time he sees a dog closer than maybe 50 feet, and we can't avoid this because we live in the city. We do what we can to prevent the situation from occurring, but there always might be a person walking their dog around the next corner. Also, other people out walking their dogs don't always realize the situation or don't care to trouble themselves so they often keep approaching while we try to distract him with treats and pull him back. He's starting to seem nervous just from being outside period, because that's where he sees other dogs. Just in the last couple of days a simple walk has become an absolute ordeal for everyone involved.

This is a bit puzzling because we got him from a foster who had other dogs, and we know that he grew up with his litter mates. It's not like he's never gotten on well with other dogs before.

Like I said, we're trying to get a session with a trainer scheduled, but it's not going to happen immediately. We need some ideas for what to work on today/tomorrow and so on when we have to take him outside. This is what we've read about and started trying already:
  • keeping him away from other dogs when possible
  • walking in front of him to break the eye contact and get him to turn
  • distracting him immediately with treats when he does lock in on a dog (trying to distract but also create a positive association with seeing other dogs instead of his current extremely negative one)
  • giving a tug on his leash instead of constant pressure
  • taking him on walks in the woods where we're unlikely to see other dogs. This works pretty well but requires a drive so we can't do it every day.

However, none of this really works very well. He gets locked in on a dog and must either be dragged away or, preferably, the other dog moves away out of sight. Avoiding the situation is not a realistic option because we live in a city. Having positive interactions with other dogs has gotta be part of the solution, but how can we get there? There are some dog parks nearby, but we're worried about how he'd react to being surrounded by a ton of dogs. Any suggestions for what I can try immediately would really be appreciated.

edit: This exact question is addressed in the OP in the dog training thread, and the information is helpful. Still, I'd be happy to hear how anyone else has dealt with a similar problem.

Racing Stripe fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 8, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Can he potty near your home or do you need to walk somewhere for him to go? IMO if it's getting significantly worse this quickly I'd just bail on walks altogether until you can see a (good, positive reinforcement based) trainer or better yet a vet behaviorist. Just run him out to potty then go back in. Work his brain and do tug or something to wear him out at home or in places where you can be sure you won't see another dog. I forget what it's called but there's like an airbnb for fenced in areas to take your dog if you really need to blow off some steam outdoors.

Every time your dog has one of these episodes it releases a shitload of stress hormone into his system and it can take a couple days for those levels to return to baseline. This happening every day will just keep making it worse.

At home, work really hard on teaching to give to leash pressure, check-ins with you, and doing u turns so when situations happen outside you have some muscle memory built up to help him bail out of a situation even when he's not in his right mind. In February there's a fenzi class that goes through management skills like that but you can also look them up on youtube or look through my post history. Grisha Stewart's BAT work focuses a lot on these skills as well.

Some otc things that we tried with my reactive dog before prescribed meds were: l-theanine pills (be careful to use dog safe ones, composure is a popular brand name), the adaptil collar (it either works well or not at all ime), and thundershirts (same). He's been zoloft daily for almost 10 years now and that's what really helped him though. I can't stress enough how much a veterinary behaviorist is worth the money if you find one.

Good luck with your pup! It's a really stressful situation to be in and I just want to let you know that with a lot of hard work you can get through it with your bud :glomp:

fake edit: the rental thing is called sniffspot

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ton of great info

Wow, thanks for all of this. This is really helpful. We can get him in and out to pee pretty easily; poop usually takes a little bit farther, but we can restrict it to a pretty short trip. We hadn't really considered cutting out walks entirely. We don't have a big place, but we can run him back and forth across the living room chasing balls and stuff. I'll also look into that airbnb fenced yards deal and the vet behaviorist. Thanks!

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I have a probably dumb question about collars. In order to have Nova’s collar tight enough that she can’t snake her head out, I feel like it’s TOO tight. I mean I can still get a finger in there, but it seems uncomfortable to me for her to be wearing all the time. Am I a huge weenie? Is this what martingale-style collars are for? I’ve been walking her on a harness to bypass the issue, but I feel like I really do need to at least acknowledge and make a plan to deal with it. I mean, what if she escapes the backyard and I can’t get a solid grip on her collar to get her back in? Or something?

Pics are of how I have it now, which isn’t really tight enough but I feel like I’m choking her if it’s tighter? It can def slip over her head if she does her head-twist-escape-motion while I’m holding it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yes, martingales will help keep them from slipping collars if they have thick necks or narrow heads. In general, you want to be able to get two fingers in between the neck and the collar when it is appropriately fitted. My dogs are naked around the house though so I don't worry if they're slightly snug when they're wearing them out and about but if your dog has free access to a yard or is a door dasher keeping a well-fitted martingale on might be a good option for you. It looks like your current collar is a safety release and if that's something you want to continue there are martingales with quick-release buckles in case of emergencies.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Yes, martingales will help keep them from slipping collars if they have thick necks or narrow heads. In general, you want to be able to get two fingers in between the neck and the collar when it is appropriately fitted. My dogs are naked around the house though so I don't worry if they're slightly snug when they're wearing them out and about but if your dog has free access to a yard or is a door dasher keeping a well-fitted martingale on might be a good option for you. It looks like your current collar is a safety release and if that's something you want to continue there are martingales with quick-release buckles in case of emergencies.

Yeah, she has a big beefy neck and a relatively small head. I wasn’t sure how it would change as she’s grown, but it looks like this is a long-term feature. She goes in and out a doggie door to our fenced back yard for part of the day, so I really want her to have her ID on her at all times (especially since she has that pitty look to her). I’ve never owned or used a martingale before - is the fitting of it straightforward?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

cailleask posted:

Yeah, she has a big beefy neck and a relatively small head. I wasn’t sure how it would change as she’s grown, but it looks like this is a long-term feature. She goes in and out a doggie door to our fenced back yard for part of the day, so I really want her to have her ID on her at all times (especially since she has that pitty look to her). I’ve never owned or used a martingale before - is the fitting of it straightforward?

Here's a good guide: https://www.theartfulcanine.com/guide-to-measuring-fitting-martingale-collars/

You want it to be wide enough to slip over the head but be able to fit snugly around the neck when pulled.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My dogs have fairly loose leather collars with their tags, then more fitted collars attached to their leashes. I don't like it when they're naked in the yard.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What's the general consensus on Super Chewer / Bullymake boxes? Worth it?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I've gotten the super chewer boxes since November and I like them but probably won't renew past the 6 months I signed up for. There are some really big hits (the corm is my puppy's favorite toy in the universe) and some meh toys. Thanksgiving box was fantastic, snoopy box was ok, we'll see what we get this month. My dogs don't really like hard nylon chews but there's usually a good variety and you can email and tell them if your dog doesn't like a style and they'll take it into account. All the toys I've gotten have held up really well, it was less than I was already spending on toys/treats and I like the variety/surprise but in the future, I'll probably just buy the toys that seem like my dogs will like off the standalone shop.

Corm finally lost its leaves yesterday after getting it in November. Scout is insane about the corm.

The turkey kong knockoff holds a huge amount of kibble and I stuff it with their dinner and freeze it regularly. Still looks great.

Despite her face Mina did really enjoy the broccoli but I asked for no hard toys like this anymore after the first box. She's the only one who likes them.

Snoopy box was less exciting than corm but everyone still enjoyed the toys and treats.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
We're halfway through a 6 month super chewer subscription that we started after we finished a 6 month pup box subscription so I have a comparison from that as well
The pup box was nice for a young puppy, but as we got to the 7-9 month boxes (and had done training classes) it was feeling a bit stale, and the soft toys were getting destroyed in mere minutes.
I picked up one of the previous super chewer items (a chicken drumstick with rubber "meat" and plastic "bone") just to see how she'd do and she chewed the heck out of it so we decided to go with a super chewer subscription.
I definitely would look into what deals are available though. Sometimes it's a free box, free toy, whatever. Also the deal they offer on the site is only one of many, if you look at different coupon code sites or slickdeals you may find something more appealing. The deal we got was an extra toy in each box for the 6 months which is huge for a dog that gets bored of stuff quickly and if not it gets destroyed.
So far the hits have been a nylon branch from our first box (she loves wood flavored stuff and branch toys regardless) https://barkshop.com/products/fall-fetch-stick , the same broccoli that instant jellyfish posted, and a rubber snoopy "ball" https://barkshop.com/products/snoopy
We've gotten a few of the rubber ball type toys with a fabric/plush over them which she loves for the hour or two it takes her to destroy the plush, and then it's usually just like any other ball type toys she has (which she also loves, but not for chewing).
We also got a fox toy with a tail similar to the corn that ij posted about but she ate the plush tail whole in like 10 minutes and then puked it up so we're gonna tell them to avoid stuff like that for us. The customer service has also been great, there was a hard nylon snoopy bone in the December box that they put out a recall notice on and sent a replacement within 2 weeks.
She also loves the treats. The only "complaint" about the treats I have is they've given us a bag each of duck and pork treats all 3 months, and we'd like a little more variety (even though the size, texture, and shape have varied).
The "chews" aren't long lasting at all, but are still nice to have. They are more of a large treat. I'd say they last about as long as a greenie or other similar soft chews.

We should be getting the January box on Monday or Tuesday so I can report back on that too.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

So we just adopted a 2 year old German Shepard mix and besides some initial anxiety she’s starting to come around, but we’ve run into a bit of a snag.

So the first few days any time we would let her into the backyard she would either curl up in a corner or try to escape which obviously isn’t good, but we still have to get her to use the bathroom outside so we would take her to a nearby dog park.

The issue is that now the dog park is the ONLY place she’ll relieve herself, which my fiancé found out this morning as we just let her into the yard last night but didn’t go and was a nightmare trying to get to the park because she had to go so badly.

Is there a good way to let her know that yes this giant backyard we have is also for poop?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
You could bring home her own poop from the park and put it in your yard where you want her to poop. I do that with cat poop if I get a new litter box.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dogs with eyeliner are my favorite

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Tomorrow I'm driving out to visit an animal to potentially adopt. it's not a shelter but a private owner. The dog is maybe a year old guessing from the pictures and I don't know how they came across it, they say they were hoping to keep it as a rescue but their wife isn't on board with that plan and now they need to find it another home.

I'm mostly just going over to see if the dog seems to like me.

Does the thread have any suggestions for things I should be sure to ask about or bring up? I don't have alot of info yet, I figured I would talk to the guy tomorrow anyhow. I know he says that he has a vet trip scheduled to get shots, so he must not have had the dog for very long at all then.

Just thought I'd check in for potential advice or w/e, things I might not think about as a not-yet dog-owner.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'm having trouble breaking certain behaviors with my new rescue dog. We're less than two weeks in, so I know everything is still new, but there's one thing we need to tackle quickly.

There's a small area on our office floor that the dog is obsessed with. He'll sniff, "dig", and pull at the carpet incessantly. We don't have a crawlspace (so it's just foundation and wood underneath), and I don't know of anything that may have spilled there. We've tried vacuuming, enzyme spray, carpet cleaner, washing the spot - but he still obsesses over it, and I'm worried he's going to destroy the carpet.

Overall, for training we've gone almost exclusively with positive reinforcement and redirection. We rarely even say "no", unless he's doing something dangerous or that urgently needs to stop. It works for most things, but once he fixates on that spot, it's almost impossible to get his attention, and we have to make a loud noise or physically pull him away. When I tried to block the area with my foot (how we've trained "leave it" outside), he bit my shoe.

We don't know what else to try. When he starts "digging" that spot now, all we can do is put him in his crate. We're careful not to scold him as we're putting him in, just "oh oh, it's bedtime!", but I'm afraid he'll start associating the crate with punishment. I want him to see it as a safe place.

We've considered putting bitter spray on the area, but he's part lab, and they will generally eat anything, regardless of taste or smell.

Anyone have any ideas?

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Agent355 posted:

Tomorrow I'm driving out to visit an animal to potentially adopt. it's not a shelter but a private owner. The dog is maybe a year old guessing from the pictures and I don't know how they came across it, they say they were hoping to keep it as a rescue but their wife isn't on board with that plan and now they need to find it another home.

I'm mostly just going over to see if the dog seems to like me.

Does the thread have any suggestions for things I should be sure to ask about or bring up? I don't have alot of info yet, I figured I would talk to the guy tomorrow anyhow. I know he says that he has a vet trip scheduled to get shots, so he must not have had the dog for very long at all then.

Just thought I'd check in for potential advice or w/e, things I might not think about as a not-yet dog-owner.

We went this route and while it’s nice to keep the dog from ever having to go to the shelter the first few days can be pretty tough.

This might not be universal but our girl spent most of the first few days trying to escape or whining at the windows and doors. It took her a few days to make a connection with my fiancé and she’s still not completely warmed up to me after about a week and a half.

You’re going to think you’re doing stuff wrong but it’s most likely just anxiety from being separated from their owner and home.

Lots of patience, treats, and exercise helped things along for us and we still have a ways to go.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Sab669 posted:

Generally speaking, I think as long as both dogs tails are up and the "aggressor" backs off if the "victim" indicates No More then I think they're fine. But at the same time, my hound can definitely be a bully at the dog park with strangers, so I've stopped going (like before Corona I stopped going) and understand where you're coming from. I did get a second dog and they rough house a lot in the way you described, but their tails are always wagging and if 1 lets out a real whimper/whine they break it up and settle down.

Did your neighbor agree it was a failure?

e; also something I was reminded of yesterday, dogs often sneeze while playing as an indicator of the fact that it's just play. So if you see that from either dog, generally a good sign.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

They also bounce around a lot too while play fighting, which is another sign that they are doing it in good fun! I have two goldens that basically spend all day roughhousing together, and we hear and see a lot of the sneezing behavior Sab was talking about. To humans, though, it for sure looks worse than it is since the dogs are coming at one another with open mouths and all of that... but to my understanding, their mouthing each other on the face and neck is the dog equivalent of kids play wrestling.

Thanks to both of you. I think it went a bit past play fighting since I was actually alerted from inside the house by a bunch of high pitched whines, which I discovered was coming from Birdie being pinned with Starbuck's mouth around her neck when I rushed out seeing what the commotion was. I don't think Birdie was in serious danger of being hurt but her body language seemed avoidant after I broke them up. We tried to reintroduce them but Starbuck was still super aggro and jumped on Birdie again, who was being super submissive and just cowering rather than springing back. After that, I went to leash Starbuck up but she still kept lunging towards Birdie.

Our neighbor seemed nonplussed by it all, but yes did agree that we should call it a failure and maybe try again later. I think Starbuck is going a little stir-crazy with just us in the house and is starved for socialization, so she acts a fool when there are strangers around. More recently we invited some friends over to our backyard and Starbuck was jumping all over them, even when they turned their backs to her. It's just been hard because it's been super rainy out here so we haven't gone to the dog park much, plus covid.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm having trouble breaking certain behaviors with my new rescue dog. We're less than two weeks in, so I know everything is still new, but there's one thing we need to tackle quickly.

There's a small area on our office floor that the dog is obsessed with. He'll sniff, "dig", and pull at the carpet incessantly. We don't have a crawlspace (so it's just foundation and wood underneath), and I don't know of anything that may have spilled there. We've tried vacuuming, enzyme spray, carpet cleaner, washing the spot - but he still obsesses over it, and I'm worried he's going to destroy the carpet.

Overall, for training we've gone almost exclusively with positive reinforcement and redirection. We rarely even say "no", unless he's doing something dangerous or that urgently needs to stop. It works for most things, but once he fixates on that spot, it's almost impossible to get his attention, and we have to make a loud noise or physically pull him away. When I tried to block the area with my foot (how we've trained "leave it" outside), he bit my shoe.

We don't know what else to try. When he starts "digging" that spot now, all we can do is put him in his crate. We're careful not to scold him as we're putting him in, just "oh oh, it's bedtime!", but I'm afraid he'll start associating the crate with punishment. I want him to see it as a safe place.

We've considered putting bitter spray on the area, but he's part lab, and they will generally eat anything, regardless of taste or smell.

Anyone have any ideas?

Can you cover it up with a rug or blanket (weighted by furniture or something)? What does he do when it's covered up?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The one single negative thing I know for sure about the dog I'm going to visit tomorrow to potentially adopt, is that, quote "She is skiddish at first but very friendly".

Now, I might be putting too much emphasis on that line than it deserves but given I don't have any other lines to think about in regards to the dogs temperment, I've been reading up on how to deal with nervous dogs.

I've met the sort of dogs who hide under furniture when other people are around and that is most assuredly not the sort of dog I want to own, but then again at the same time if it was only skiddish like that with OTHER people then I wouldn't care so much? After all it would be MY dog and if she loved me and wasn't like that with me I wouldn't really consider it a huge problem, just a minor one.

Does anybody have experience with 'skiddish', nervous, or anxious dogs? Can a young dog who leans that way be helped and guided to being more comfortable?

Then again maybe it's hardly an issue at all and I'm just overthinking it, WHO KNOWS.

E: the owner did say 'hey bring a toy or treat with you', so I'm going to swing by a pet store on the way (I don't own any of the dog stuff, I'd have a bit of shopping to do before I brought the doggo home anyway so thats not happening tomorrow no matter what).

I figure if a squeaky toy is enough to get the dog to play with me in the 15-20 mintues I spend visiting, then I doubt the dog is going to be nervous/skiddish/anxious enough to really be a problem anyway. I'm really only thinking about those extreme cases in my own anxiety riddled brain.

Also also, I'm going to end up buying a whole bunch of toys to make sure I have at least one she likes, also snacks :kimchi:

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 12, 2021

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dogs are like people. There's no set path. The answer to all your questions is 'maybe' and nothing you've posted makes this sound like a good idea

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah thats a fair take. I'll see what the meeting goes like in a couple hours. I'm not so foolish as to take in a dog with extreme needs that I can't possibly meet, but it could also just be a happy pup who needs a home, won't know until I meet her.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Went and visited, the dog was pretty clearly worried about the big scary new person. Also I made just about the worst first impression i could possibly make when I found myself cupping my face to the glass to stare into the building with a face mask on and spooking the poor dog.

It's very clear that the dog isn't going to be an entirely friendly "normal" dog right from the get go, but the gentleman I spoke to has only had the dog for a couple weeks and she clearly loves him, and she was taking treats from my hand and sniffing around me while I was there.

I made a point to just sit quietly and talk to the dude about stuff while ignoring the dog and letting her come up and take treats that I was just casually holding in my hand and letting her sniff/lick my hand and sniff around my shoes and stuff. Which she did, but she never really just ignored me and went about her business while I was there and it was back to some nervous growling and hiding behind her owner when I stood up to leave.

I'm not ready to make a decision yet and even if I did the dog can't come home until the middle of next week because the guy has a vet appointment for the dog to get some shots that he wants to do before he gives her over to anybody.

But she is an awfully cute dog and she seems sweet, if a bit nervous of new people, so I'm going to go spend half an hour at the guy's work everyday this week, bringing treats and just gently being around the dog. If she warms up to me by friday and starts to be happy to see me? It seems like that would be a good enough start for me to feel comfortable taking her in.

Hopefully this is a level-headed enough approach for the thread, i don't want to make any rash decisions when it comes to adopting an animal.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 12, 2021

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Anyone got any tips for handling excitement mouthing/nipping on walks? Our puppy is 8 months old now, and frequently gets overexcited when we're outside. He'll bite his leash, jump up and down and sometimes nip on our sleeves and jackets. We've tried turning around and ignoring him, but he just keeps at it.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Akbar posted:

Last weekend, we tried to have a doggy playdate with our neighbor's pit mix puppy Birdie, who's a bit smaller than Starbuck. Starbuck has met and played with Birdie before and was mostly fine, though Starbuck started to play a little rough with Birdie towards the end when they were both tired (putting her jaws around Birdie's neck). She calmed down once I separated her and put her muzzle on. Birdie seemed fine and her owners were remarkably chill with it, so we didn't think too much of it. This time, Starbuck just dialed up the roughness from the get-go and started jumping on Birdie and kind of pinning her down with her weight. I don't think it was real aggression since Starbuck seemed playful rather than threatening, but it seemed like bullying behavior. I separated them and put Starbuck's muzzle on and leash on, but she kept trying to lunge towards Birdie when they were close.

Birdie didn't seem to like it and mostly avoided Starbuck once I had her leashed, so her owner (who again was very chill with the whole thing) took Birdie home and it was a failure of a playdate. I'm not really sure why it happened. My assumption is that it was a size thing since Starbuck didn't do anything remotely like that the day before when we had two other greys over (who are the same size or bigger than her). We haven't let her off-leash with other smaller dogs so we don't have a ton of data points here. Anyways, feels bad to maybe have a bully dog.

Is Starbuck a racing rescue? Even if not, from what I understand greyhounds kind of have doggy Asperger's. It sounds less like aggression and maybe like she never learned how to read body language for "stop, this isn't fun anymore." I'd maybe watch the other dog closely for signs of wanting to stop playing and when you see one, give her a command and separate them until she learns to read signals better, or if possible pair her off with a more assertive dog who will give a warning and then put her in her place a little bit. I've seen people train their puppies at the dog park by letting them (with permission) jump all over my dog because she'll give one or two warnings and then charge the other dog and scream her head off. Never bites, just scares the hell out of them so they remember not to do that again. It's really rough in quarantine I know but reading signals is important for her to learn because if she tries that on the wrong dog they're just gonna bodyslam her.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

fuzzy_logic posted:

Is Starbuck a racing rescue? Even if not, from what I understand greyhounds kind of have doggy Asperger's. It sounds less like aggression and maybe like she never learned how to read body language for "stop, this isn't fun anymore." I'd maybe watch the other dog closely for signs of wanting to stop playing and when you see one, give her a command and separate them until she learns to read signals better, or if possible pair her off with a more assertive dog who will give a warning and then put her in her place a little bit. I've seen people train their puppies at the dog park by letting them (with permission) jump all over my dog because she'll give one or two warnings and then charge the other dog and scream her head off. Never bites, just scares the hell out of them so they remember not to do that again. It's really rough in quarantine I know but reading signals is important for her to learn because if she tries that on the wrong dog they're just gonna bodyslam her.

Hmm ok, I'll see who we can find as most of our friends have smaller dogs or bigger greyhounds that Starbuck has never acted that way towards. And yeah, she's a former racetrack dog like the majority of greyhounds in the US.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Second visit went like a dream. Dog played with me, munched treats from my hand, accepted some light pets and then eventually was cuddling with me while I sat on the ground with her. Licking my face and wagging her tail.

She is a wonderfully sweet dog she just also is a little bit fearful of strangers at first, seems to be fine with other dogs and new environments though, it's just new people that tend to trigger her.

This is perfectly fine, I can work with that. I'm goign to keep visiting her this week to make her even more comfortable with me and then take her home next week :kimchi:

Here she is sitting in my lap, enjoying a nice pat.

Hello pretty girl :kimchi:

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

More cuddles. She is a big ole lapdog.

I have no second thoughts at this point. She'll face a few challenges because of her relatively poor socialization, but she can absolutely be helped.