Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

Hizawk posted:

Is hull damage always below deck or on the mast or can other parts of the ship take hits as well? (IE needing boards to fix damage)

The anchor capstan and the steering wheel can also take damage, requiring repair with boards. They'll still be usable, but operation speed and responsiveness is incredibly impeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Stumbled upon this game in the steam sale and I don't quite understand what it is?
Is it an MMO? An RPG? Can I play solo? Can I just hop on and casually sail around and see what's going on?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

shut up blegum posted:

Stumbled upon this game in the steam sale and I don't quite understand what it is?
Is it an MMO? An RPG? Can I play solo? Can I just hop on and casually sail around and see what's going on?

Multiplayer pirate sandbox action adventure funtimes. No leveling, everyone basically loads into a server with the same starting setup. There aren't many ships per server, but the game tries to lure people to similar areas. Only grind is for cosmetics and pirate pride.

You can play solo, but it's markedly less fun. You can certainly solo sloop though. Some people are real good at it.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I’m also one of the crowd who got it over Xmas and I’ve been having an absolute blast with my friends.

Really struggled to take down a megalodon though - a few times now we’ve been fighting one only for it to despawn and not come back. Hoping to get one in the future though!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

fallingdownjoe posted:

I’m also one of the crowd who got it over Xmas and I’ve been having an absolute blast with my friends.

Really struggled to take down a megalodon though - a few times now we’ve been fighting one only for it to despawn and not come back. Hoping to get one in the future though!

If you want to fight a Meg, your best option is just to drop anchor so long as you don’t have any other player ships nearby. The Meg will despawn if you get too close to an island or a large rock.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Ah, thanks. We knew about it despawning close to an island, but maybe we got near to a rock without noticing.

Estel
May 4, 2010
The Megalodon has a range, if you continue sailing even slowly you will eventually get out of that range and the megalodon will return to it's spawn point. If you turn back you will find it again so if you want to hunt megalodons just drop the anchor. This has the added benefit that if the megalodon charges and throws you outside the ship you just climb the stairs instead of waiting for a siren while your ship sinks.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I have a buddy who played it on Xbox Game Pass a while back and the last time I tried it with him (also on Game Pass) it was a frustrating affair. I didn't understand the design decisions to not make the ship persistent and having to restock every time you headed out etc. You can't upgrade guns? You only get 5 shots? WTF is this bullshit?

THEN I bought it on Steam and am sailing with the same buddy. Now that I'm playing it again, I totally get it. It's a great way of doing things. Your ship is a tool to be spent and used like a cannonball essentially, although it is interesting to see a ship that survived a night of nonsense -- ours was a mess of patches, burn marks, duct tape, glue, etc. by the end of the evening.

I know the Trader Emissary gets poo poo on a lot because "deliveries are boring" but we ran trading company emissary mission delivery contracts last night. It was incredibly fun and we got up to five Emissary bars without getting destroyed by pirates. This was more of a surprise given that we found a chest on a shipwreck that lit us up on the map for everyone to chase us. We also fought Flameheart on the way to one of the 5-bar reward mission pickups (we were in a sloop) and it was a mess. FH was circling the island we needed for pickup. (was that just unlucky?) Very tense. I ended up jumping off the ship on a drive by of the island, loading the goods onto our rowboat and then sneaking the rowboat through a blockade of pirate ships to our battered sloop far far off shore. I was freaking out.

We made it back to the port where we needed to turn in the mission goods and -- SURPRISE -- cannonballs started hitting us -- a brigantine after the treasure chest we had picked up earlier in the evening I guess. We rammed our little ship into the shoreline, picked up our goods and ran for the vendor to do turn-ins. We did it that successfully and pulled our Emissary flag down and then went to turn in the pirate treasure thing but we had no idea what to do with it. Meanwhile our ship was being pummeled by the interlopers. My buddy slipped on to their ship, killing the crew of 4, and we put the fires out on our boat and started patching&bailing as they spawned back on their ship and continued sniping and cannon shooting. Eventually we jumped off and got into a running island gun fight with them. I got sniped and my buddy respawned on a new ship because ours eventually succumbed to its wounds.

I appeared on his new ship and we sailed back to the cove where we lost our last ship and, sure enough, the pirates were anchored there, sails up. We got ready. As we approached, they dropped sail and a firefight broke out and we ended up lighting their ship on fire and put a ton of holes in them. As they bailed water, patched and put out fires, my buddy snuck onto their ship and murdered them all again. I anchored and came aboard and threw firebombs at their capstan and in the hold and we swam back waiting for them to respawn. They never did and we watched as their entire ship was engulfed in flame. It was truly epic watching the black billowing smoke as the sun was setting. Then another ship came up from behind with a full crew and completely blew us out of the water. Then we logged.

What a night of sailing. Calm but interesting sailing for delivery and pickup missions through incredibly rough seas and avoiding as much trouble as possible -- followed by complete and utter mayhem. The game is gorgeous. The seas, water effects, weather, game mechanics (for the most part) are amazing and fun.

I get it now, guys. I totally get it. Can't wait to play again tonight.

I am wondering, this is probably not a great game to play in short blasts is it? I guess you could do some fishing, cooking and Hunter turn ins but even that might take a while. What does everyone else do when they don't have a huge chunk of time to spend? Or when they want to idle a bit?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Just want to say a few things since you now have about 2 hours left to buy it on Steam Sale:

1.) It's worth the sale.

2.) It is fun. If you have any sense of humor at all, it is even more fun.

3.) Pirates!

4.) Play with friends.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
Had a blast of a session yesterday in a sloop together with a friend.

Didn't have a plan really, so we raised reaper emmisary and went towards Flameheart with "let's just play it from there"-mindset. While sinking a skeleton sloop for supplies on the way, we realized a galleon was waiting for us to finish in order to kill us afterwards.
Our plan was to get them to chase us to Flameheart in order to level the playing field. We didn't have the wind to advantage, but managed to use some cliffs to out-manouver them in the chase. Arriving to Flameheart, they continued the chase and played right into our hand. We managed to sink them with the chaos-factor of having the ghost-ships shooting on both of us.

After finishing Flameheart, we wanted to sell our loot at Reaper's hideout, but noticed not only two galleons, but also one sloop in the area. "Whatever, let's just go there and see what happens". I think there was some kind of standoff between the other ships for who would go for us first, because we managed to load half of our loot before a galleon came for us in full speed. We sped off from the bridge, in order to play for better positioning around the hideout islands. They ran into ground, and we could easily bombard them with cannons and board them. They had a gunpowder barrel somewhere that blew up at some point, and they sunk quickly after that.

The third galleon came for us when we had sold about 75% of the loot. A longer fight of manouvering & continous boarding around the hideout islands ensued. A lot of back and forth, but in the end both me & my buddy died at the same time, which sealed our fate. We didn't feel bitter at all though! Sinking 2 galleons as a sloop in a single session, and giving a third a run for their money - great fun!

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

he1ixx posted:

I am wondering, this is probably not a great game to play in short blasts is it? I guess you could do some fishing, cooking and Hunter turn ins but even that might take a while. What does everyone else do when they don't have a huge chunk of time to spend? Or when they want to idle a bit?

Yeah a big downside of the game is that you have to set aside a couple hours for a session.

The devs have acknowledged this and say they're working on adding more short session stuff. The downside of it is that it's coming in the form of a "battle pass" type situation, so we'll see how that goes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
they should just keep updating arena to do new fun stuff and change it every month. the time sink is already tied to wins and weapon kills and experienced sea dogs usually just focus on fragging now

like island based battle royale or whatever. would make better use of learning the campfires and ammo box locations

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's nice to see the influx of new players over Christmas / Steam sale. By all means join the Discord posted earlier to meet up with other players, because playing solo is possible, it very much is "hard mode" in this game. Especially when you run into other players, who are almost always hostile.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Merijn posted:

Especially when you run into other players, who are almost always hostile.

My advice for new players: All other players are hostile, always. Especially the ones who say they aren't.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I've met cool people and had fun times, but yes, this is usually true.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

BlackIronHeart posted:

My advice for new players: All other players are hostile, always. Especially the ones who say they aren't.

Definitely this is assumed. This game makes me so paranoid (and for good reason).

Yesterday I was sitting around fishing (something I thought I could do in short bursts... not really though) and when I went down to cook a fish, I heard a "thump" and "hisssss" and turned around to see a lit gunpowder barrel right behind me. I blew up, the ship sunk and I didn't get the cooked fish after all. I laughed because it was pretty drat funny on their part but yeah, there really are no chill times in this game.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Can’t you just fish off the piers? I mean there are lots of places to fish.

Drink grog all day!

Tbh I just like sailing.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

dialhforhero posted:

Can’t you just fish off the piers? I mean there are lots of places to fish.

Drink grog all day!

Tbh I just like sailing.

I have done a lot of fishing and the rule of real estate applies. Location Location Location. You want to be in a spot that is out of the way, and where you can hide your ship.

Mermaids hideaway is great. Park behind it in the little alcove and fish for plentifins, splashtails, pondies, and the nighttime islehopper.

Marauders arch is great for wildsplashes and moss islehoppers.
Inside thieves haven is great for ancientscales.
The north east corner of the roar is best for devilfish, just out of range of the forts volcano.
I recommend hiding behind the west side of crescent isle for honey hoppers and west side of sailors bounty for smoke islehoppers.

Wreckers and Stormfish you just kind of have to get by opportunity. Always keep an eye out if fishing a wreck that's in a popular sailing route.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Master Twig posted:

I have done a lot of fishing and the rule of real estate applies. Location Location Location. You want to be in a spot that is out of the way, and where you can hide your ship.

Mermaids hideaway is great. Park behind it in the little alcove and fish for plentifins, splashtails, pondies, and the nighttime islehopper.

The north east corner of the roar is best for devilfish, just out of range of the forts volcano.
I recommend hiding behind the west side of crescent isle for honey hoppers and west side of sailors bounty for smoke islehoppers.

Wreckers and Stormfish you just kind of have to get by opportunity. Always keep an eye out if fishing a wreck that's in a popular sailing route.

Great info.

Also a question -- the last two days I have been pulling up fish and not getting the prompt to remove them from the rod. Nothing I do will make it appear and eventually I have to fling them back into the sea by casting off the side of the ship. Is that a lag issue or something i'm missing? I've caught fish before just fine and have sold many; usually you get a prompt the second you pull it out of the sea. It just started happening the last two days and I'm not experienced enough to diagnose problems like this in SoT yet.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Are you certain you don't have 5 pieces of food in your pockets already?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
If you are full up on food it doesn't give you the option to pull it off. Make sure you have less than 5 so you have a space.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

BlackIronHeart posted:

Are you certain you don't have 5 pieces of food in your pockets already?

I bet that's it. Thanks. I knew I was probably the goober because it seemed so strange.

edit: yep that was it. I so dum.

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 7, 2021

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
We had a helluva night last night.

Another noobie friend signed in and I was going to show him around with the little I knew and thought we could figure things out together.

We did a few little missions from quest givers -- dug up some treasure here or there -- and went back to sell and we saw a big ship with a long Gold Hoarders emissary flag flying. We decided to park on the opposite side of the island so we didn't pose a threat. They sent someone over and I figured things were going to end badly for us. The guy goes "Here is what is going to happen. We are unloading our ship with a lot of loot. If you stay over here, we won't kill you or sink your ship and you can cash in afterwards and be on your way." We said uhhh ok? The cashed out and the dude came over. Again I thought it was about to end badly. He said "We're done. Head to the other side. Gold Hoarders is much closer for loot carrying over there. Have a good night" and went back to his ship. Whew that went very well.

We did another mission and, after digging around on an island for a while, found an Ashen Captain's chest. It sounded like that loot was pretty good so we went back to our ship and we saw only mermaids. I think I must have scuffed the ship as we were parking, didn't see the leak below before heading up the island and it slowly filled with water and sunk while we were treasure hunting.

My buddy went to get another ship and I loaded the treasure chest in a rowboat we found. In an effort to avoid that red pirate captain cloud thing on his route back to me, we decided to switch sides of the island where we'd do the pickup. As I was rowing the boat to the other side of the island, that same Gold Hoarders emissary ship sailed by. I saw glints from glass. They turned around and headed towards me. "Hey bud. What do you have there?" "Uh... something we dug up. We're new and our ship sunk. etc" "Ah too bad man. That's a nice chest though so...." Sniper shot from the boat rings out. I'm dead in one shot. Fade to black as I watch them unload everything from our rowboat onto their huge ship.

We appear on new ship, far away. Sigh. There was about a billion things I could have done better there, starting with not sinking our loving ship to begin with to hiding out on the island until my buddy arrived but I can't help but think about ways we should have tried to kill them and take their loot earlier. We had so much stuff on board we didn't want to lose though and I guess it was the right move strategically.

Fun night though. Dug up treasure, solved riddles, fought a gigantic shark thing, sailed the waves, sold a ton of stuff without issues, ran from NPC ships, swam around shipwrecks. Looking forward to the nights firing cannons into ships in my future.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Picked this up during sale much like many others. Last night I had drawn anchor and gone ashore at Shipwreck Bay while doing a solo sloop vault run, and when I got back on something just felt off. Because it was night in game and my lanterns were off I almost didn’t notice the guy who had snuck aboard, aligned himself perfectly with my quest table, and used the sleep emote so that only his head was visible. Guy was a goddamn genius.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

PantsOptional posted:

I almost didn’t notice the guy who had snuck aboard, aligned himself perfectly with my quest table, and used the sleep emote so that only his head was visible. Guy was a goddamn genius.

He's not a genius unless he drew a dong on your map table.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am still new enough to the game that I am extremely gullible and want to know how to do that and if you can.

I assume it’s by marking the map with the circles?

Someone told me I can’t get silk crates wet but that was a lie :colbert:. I fell into water upon deliver getting out of my sloop and I got the money all the same and the same amount as the crate I didn’t drop.

Harumph!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

ILL Machina posted:

He's not a genius unless he drew a dong on your map table.

You say that, but when I went to check the map afterward he had messed around with it. Really should have zoomed out to see if it formed a pattern.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

dialhforhero posted:

Someone told me I can’t get silk crates wet but that was a lie :colbert:. I fell into water upon deliver getting out of my sloop and I got the money all the same and the same amount as the crate I didn’t drop.

Merchant cargo is vulnerable, but not like it used to be. Jumping once with rum will no longer break it instantly, and dipping cloth into water won't instantly wet it. Rare changed it pretty long ago to make cargo missions more appealing to players, so you have some leeway now. Note that Devils' Roar cargo items are more vulnerable than regular ones.

Back before the change, even Rare staff would ignore cargo missions when doing Athenas live on stream. (When you have a cargo mission, you can just pick up the cargo from the NPC and drop it back at his feet. It will "complete" but you won't get any gold.)

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Master Twig posted:

I'm almost positive that just looting every shipwreck(fishwreck) you see will get you fish faster than actually fishing. Also a good way to stock up on cursed cannonballs. The fishing in the game is better than say, wow fishing but its still a huge time sink and gets old after a while. That said when they have fishing events I go to the shores of gold, the only people coming out there are doing the tall tale. Or fishing maybe. There are shallow ponds there that are good for fast catching pondies too.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Sekhmnet posted:

I'm almost positive that just looting every shipwreck(fishwreck) you see will get you fish faster than actually fishing.

lmfao the cowards way of achieving fish

shameful

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Shipwrecks have been good for getting some rare fish. The first Snow Wrecker I ever got was from a wreck. But you only get 2-4 fish per wreck. Fishing is faster if you're actually going for grade V of every fish.

Also, shores of gold is okay to fish. But you'll only get splashtails and pondies.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I haven’t played this game long enough to be jaded by any experience yet so I like to fish on a nice day just chillin’ wherever I am floating or standing :3:

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Master Twig posted:

Shipwrecks have been good for getting some rare fish. The first Snow Wrecker I ever got was from a wreck. But you only get 2-4 fish per wreck. Fishing is faster if you're actually going for grade V of every fish.

Also, shores of gold is okay to fish. But you'll only get splashtails and pondies.

Do I need to cook all of these fish? I burned my ship THREE TIMES the other night because things distracted me from my cooking tasks...

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

he1ixx posted:

Do I need to cook all of these fish? I burned my ship THREE TIMES the other night because things distracted me from my cooking tasks...

You do if you want the most money from the hunters call for them.

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.

he1ixx posted:

AHEM... you burned MY ship three times AND started an island brush fire by “cooking” your food.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

life_source posted:

lmfao the cowards way of achieving fish

shameful

lol if u arent lvling fishing solely by getting elbow deep in another crew's already cooked food supplies

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

he1ixx posted:

Hey Siri, set a timer for one minute.

Got some Meg meat? Make it two.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I thought I would be clever by harpooning a chest of sorrow or whatever and leaving it on the hook instead of bringing it aboard so I wouldn’t be bailing water. I was also in a light storm so I thought I wouldn’t make it worse.

It started crying about when I reached the title card of an outpost to sell. I pull into port and I SWEAR I didn’t run aground or collide to cause damage but as soon as I parked my ship it sank and FAST.

Assuming I didn’t have hidden damage I let sink me, did my assumption that the trick with the chest doesn’t actually work?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

he1ixx posted:

Cooking fish is 100% unnecessary for commendations. But as others have said, you get more money if they're cooked. So if you care about gold and reputation, then cook those fish. Often times after a long fishing session we only cook the trophy fish.

The commendations linked to cooking are for all of the meat other than fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

dialhforhero posted:

I thought I would be clever by harpooning a chest of sorrow or whatever and leaving it on the hook instead of bringing it aboard so I wouldn’t be bailing water. I was also in a light storm so I thought I wouldn’t make it worse.

It started crying about when I reached the title card of an outpost to sell. I pull into port and I SWEAR I didn’t run aground or collide to cause damage but as soon as I parked my ship it sank and FAST.

Assuming I didn’t have hidden damage I let sink me, did my assumption that the trick with the chest doesn’t actually work?

No, it doesn't. I can tell you through hard-won experience, neither does leaving it in the rowboat.