Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mega Comrade posted:

How would you make this backup not also a huge security vulnerability?

Basically everything can be set to automatically back up in a secure way before the fact, too. I'd only lose my texts if my phone died, and that's because I don't care to back them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It's an employees phone and he doesn't even know the accounts setup on it, they were prob set up for him. Ofc it was his lifeline where he kept all his important notes. It's an A50 and doesn't seem to respond to being plugged into a dock, mouse is useless cause I can't see poo poo. Smart switch also out of luck cause I can't see poo poo in order to install it. Basically given up

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Grumpwagon posted:

On T-Mobile, if you're planning on keeping the phones for a while, and if you don't mind big phones, it miiiiiiiiight make sense to get the Pixel 4a 5g. It's $150 more than the 4a, but comes with a better processor and a bigger screen. The 4a is a great phone too though, and 5g currently is irrelevant.

I'd actually argue for T-Mobile 5g is actually useful. A lot of their newer spectrum rollout is for sub-6 5g vs the mm-wave. My spouse has a Pixel 5 and I still have a Pixel 3 and there are places where the LTE sucks (like ~1 mbps) but 5g would pull ~10 mbps.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gariig posted:

I'd actually argue for T-Mobile 5g is actually useful. A lot of their newer spectrum rollout is for sub-6 5g vs the mm-wave. My spouse has a Pixel 5 and I still have a Pixel 3 and there are places where the LTE sucks (like ~1 mbps) but 5g would pull ~10 mbps.

Yeah my in-laws were a near deadzone for T-Mobile LTE coverage but when I went by their house my 5g phone got good signal and was pulling 150mbs

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Is the Razer Kishi currently the best controller to get? Any of the knockoffs any good?

I have an xbox one controller right now with a mount, but it is so top-heavy that it is uncomfortable to use.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Is the Razer Kishi currently the best controller to get? Any of the knockoffs any good?

I have an xbox one controller right now with a mount, but it is so top-heavy that it is uncomfortable to use.

Just curious, what games do you play with that? It seems to me like most games wouldn't be designed for some sort of controller peripheral, no?
Or is it for like streaming a game from your PC to your phone somehow?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah my in-laws were a near deadzone for T-Mobile LTE coverage but when I went by their house my 5g phone got good signal and was pulling 150mbs

The reverse can also be true. I know at my one friend's house the 5g signal was only like 5mbps while I would get around 60mbps with LTE.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Sab669 posted:

Just curious, what games do you play with that? It seems to me like most games wouldn't be designed for some sort of controller peripheral, no?
Or is it for like streaming a game from your PC to your phone somehow?

Streaming as well as native games like COD Mobile, Dead Cells, Pascal's Wager

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Hey, you know that feature on the task-switching screen where you can copy text directly off of the screen captures of all your open apps? Is there a way to get it to recognize and select other character sets, like chinese?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I get 150-200 mb on verizon 4g/lte often that when people say "WOW I HAVE 100 ON 5G" I get really confused.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

At my house right now on t-mobile, I get the same on LTE or 5g for download, about 200mbps. Upload is better on 5g (20mbps vs 12mbps for LTE).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Got my Pixel 5 today, been playing with it all day. Battery definitely lasts forever. It's been weird getting used to a small phone again. I mean I guess it isn't "small" but compared to my 7T, I'm now realizing how comically huge it was. So far my only complaints are: Camera cutout seems juuust a tiny bit big compared to the 7T's notch, forgot that I hate the search bar on the home screen, and I wish I could remove the gesture line on the bottom of the screen. Aside from that I prefer the P5. The back of the phone feels oddly good and I can't explain why. It sounds silly but it's extremely comforting seeing my security patch say January 5th instead of November 1st. Plus I'm back on original quality Google Photos uploads for a while. Having an AOD is nice, I never used it on my Pixel 2, and by the time I wanted to try it I had a 7T which of course didn't have one. Overall it feels like I jumped off the sinking ship of OnePlus. Given how they've been the past year and even though Google is Google and the P5 isn't a true flagship, I just feel better having a Pixel again

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Got my Pixel 5 today...I wish I could remove the gesture line on the bottom of the screen.

If you don't want to use Gestures you can bring back three-button navigation by going to Settings > System > Gestures > System Navigation > Set 3-button Navigation

Another way to maximize battery life is to turn off Smooth Display, which takes you from 90Hz refresh to 60Hz. If you don't watch a lot of video or do a shitload of scrolling, you'll never notice and it'll boost your screen-on battery life, but you're willfully disabling something that makes it a P5 and not a P4a 5G.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you don't want to use Gestures you can bring back three-button navigation by going to Settings > System > Gestures > System Navigation > Set 3-button Navigation

Another way to maximize battery life is to turn off Smooth Display, which takes you from 90Hz refresh to 60Hz. If you don't watch a lot of video or do a shitload of scrolling, you'll never notice and it'll boost your screen-on battery life, but you're willfully disabling something that makes it a P5 and not a P4a 5G.

I love gestures. I just don't like the line because it's pointless space added to the feature that enables more screen to be used. And I actually did the opposite, I forced 90hz on. I was well aware of the 4a5g and 90hz was the key feature I need.

Forgot to mention how happy I am with the price. The $100 Verizon tax sucks but thanks to eBay I got a like new in original packaging, original accessories, and a Pixel Stand for $650

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Well, no surprises here:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Well, no surprises here:

Honestly per capita I'd have expected Google smartphones.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LastInLine posted:

Honestly per capita I'd have expected Google smartphones.

I wonder if it has to do with their methodology. It seems that most Pixel issues are out-of-the-box ones: faulty touch sensor, casing gaps, etc., rather than "it worked fine for 6 months and then caught on fire" sort of issues, which might get more LG phones.

I also think we hear more about Pixel problems because people have high expectations for them, and a lot of the people who get them are techies and other nerds--a notoriously picky and complaint-prone bunch. On the other hand, when was the last time you even bothered to read a review of a LG phone, or heard someone recommend one other than on a "well if that's your budget and you refuse to consider refurbs, and it's on super sale, maybe consider this LG" sort of basis?

Which isn't to say the Pixel line hasn't had their share of issues. Just that you're gonna notice what you're putting a spotlight on more than whatever's hiding in the undusted corner.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel users just more terminally online than other normal smartphone purchasers, so you hear the whining much more vocally.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DrDork posted:

I wonder if it has to do with their methodology. It seems that most Pixel issues are out-of-the-box ones: faulty touch sensor, casing gaps, etc., rather than "it worked fine for 6 months and then caught on fire" sort of issues, which might get more LG phones.

I also think we hear more about Pixel problems because people have high expectations for them, and a lot of the people who get them are techies and other nerds--a notoriously picky and complaint-prone bunch. On the other hand, when was the last time you even bothered to read a review of a LG phone, or heard someone recommend one other than on a "well if that's your budget and you refuse to consider refurbs, and it's on super sale, maybe consider this LG" sort of basis?

Which isn't to say the Pixel line hasn't had their share of issues. Just that you're gonna notice what you're putting a spotlight on more than whatever's hiding in the undusted corner.

> The Android Thread - it worked fine for 6 months and then caught on fire

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Got my Pixel 5 today, been playing with it all day. Battery definitely lasts forever. It's been weird getting used to a small phone again. I mean I guess it isn't "small" but compared to my 7T, I'm now realizing how comically huge it was. So far my only complaints are: Camera cutout seems juuust a tiny bit big compared to the 7T's notch, forgot that I hate the search bar on the home screen, and I wish I could remove the gesture line on the bottom of the screen. Aside from that I prefer the P5. The back of the phone feels oddly good and I can't explain why. It sounds silly but it's extremely comforting seeing my security patch say January 5th instead of November 1st. Plus I'm back on original quality Google Photos uploads for a while. Having an AOD is nice, I never used it on my Pixel 2, and by the time I wanted to try it I had a 7T which of course didn't have one. Overall it feels like I jumped off the sinking ship of OnePlus. Given how they've been the past year and even though Google is Google and the P5 isn't a true flagship, I just feel better having a Pixel again

I still love my 7T and nothing on the market seems worth the upgrade cost

:shrug:

My wife's 4a is very nice and would be my choice if my 7T broke

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel users just more terminally online than other normal smartphone purchasers, so you hear the whining much more vocally.

Between my wife and me, I've had every Nexus and Pixel except I think two years and if my experience is typical Google's failure rate is abysmal. Obviously I'm an idiot who keeps buying them so don't take my word for it but I'm not going by nerds on the internet, I'm just going by nerds in my house.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had every Nexus and Pixel from the Nexus 6 onwards until the 4xl, and my wife has the pixel 5, with no issues.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

I still love my 7T and nothing on the market seems worth the upgrade cost

:shrug:

My wife's 4a is very nice and would be my choice if my 7T broke

The 7T was a great phone! I just personally wasn't feeling it and wanted to go back

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I've had:
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus 5x
Pixel 1
Pixel 2 XL
Pixel 3
Pixel 4 XL
Pixel 4a
Pixel 5

Aside from the Galaxy Nexus having abysmal battery life and signal issues at first, all have been without issues. One of my friends is still using my Pixel 2XL.

A friend has had the Pixel 1, Pixel 3, and currently has the Pixel 5. He did have to RMA the Pixel 3 once when it reset and never booted again. That warranty replacement went smoothly.

Two other friends had Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL and are both now on Pixel 5. Neither has had any issues.

Another friend had a Pixel 1 and is now on a lightly used Pixel 3, no issues. Before the pixel 1, he had the Nexus 5 since launch (Nexus One before that) both were fine.

So, yeah. Not seeing any problems with my anecdotal sample. 1 failure out of like 20 devices.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 9, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm willing to blame wives since if you take theirs out of my sample I have a 100% success rate:

Nexus One - Fine
Nexus S - Failed, replaced (and neither ever worked correctly)
Galaxy Nexus - Fine
Nexus 4 - USB daughterboard failure
Nexus 5 - Fine
Nexus 6 - Fine
Pixel - USB/mic daughterboard failure
Pixel XL - Fine
Pixel 2 - Failed
Pixel 4 XL - Fine so far

Obviously this is anecdotal and meaningless, but still a 40% failure rate seems high to just randomly encounter. For reference there are a few iPhones in there too, all with a 0% failure rate. And if it matters all of the ones which failed were in cases, all of the ones which were fine were never in a case. I guess it's also notable that I didn't get the generation with the 5x/6P where it seems like they all failed (except apparently bull's).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Same friend that has my 2XL had my 5x after I owned it and it only died on him after he cracked the screen. So, it was in use for 2ish years and didn't fall internally.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
My manager went through 3-4 faulty Pixels, my Pixel broke after a year, but my Pixel 2XL was working great up until I sold it recently.

I wonder if its skewed to LG due to the boot loop issues that lost them a class lawsuit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Between my wife and me, I've had every Nexus and Pixel except I think two years and if my experience is typical Google's failure rate is abysmal. Obviously I'm an idiot who keeps buying them so don't take my word for it but I'm not going by nerds on the internet, I'm just going by nerds in my house.

I've gotten a number of IRL friends to buy Pixels since the first one, and not one of us has had a failure/problem. Anecdotes don't mean much tbh. Shrug.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I had every Nexus and Pixel from the Nexus 6 onwards until the 4xl, and my wife has the pixel 5, with no issues.

How long did you have the 6P for? Mine needed a battery replacement about two weeks before the two year mark and the replacement battery died after another 18 months.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nexus 4 had issues with the camera being dead until the phone was rebooted
Nexus 5 had power button and bootloop issues
Nexus 6p was great then after 12 months had horrible battery drain
Pixel XL was great then after 9 months or whatever started having noticeably worse battery life which could have been software not hardware but a factory reset didn’t fix it and honestly who gives a poo poo about the difference with a Google phone

My 6T comparatively was fantastic for the full two years I owned it and I swore I'd never buy a OnePlus. The 2014 Moto X was the only Android phone I’d put below them

I’ve had both Nexus 7 tablets, the former was poo poo that ate itself to death via poo poo NAND. The later lasted ok but I can’t remember why I swapped it. I think the wifi on it stopped working.

I think brushing it aside as anecdotal or terminally online isn’t fair because I’ve gotten multiple class action lawsuit checks for these phones. And didn't the Pixel 2 have horrible blue tint for some people?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 10, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Nah, pixels have all been ftw

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

WhyteRyce posted:

Nexus 5 had power button and bootloop issues

I think you mean the 5x for the bootloop thing. LG's problems (and sales death spiral on the high end) really started with the G4, G5, V10, V20, and Nexus 5x
The regular 5 had an issue with Lollipop where the camera would proceed to destroy your battery because it kept running at full throttle even after swiping it away.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

I think you mean the 5x for the bootloop thing. LG's problems (and sales death spiral on the high end) really started with the G4, G5, V10, V20, and Nexus 5x
The regular 5 had an issue with Lollipop where the camera would proceed to destroy your battery because it kept running at full throttle even after swiping it away.

No, this was with the OG Nexus 5

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've gone from (this is going to date me):

Motorola MicroTAC (was always a car phone more than anything else)
Razr V3m
OG Droid (worked fine until the numbers flaked off the keyboard)
Galaxy Nexus (stopped getting updates, which were already spotty on VZW, and the screen didn't age well)
LG G2 (a real piece of poo poo, will never get another LG ever, went through three replacements under my VZW 'extended warranty')
OG PXL 128GB (battery life was poo poo in the last two years of ownership and had to have the charging/microphone module swapped out, Google paid for the service but UBreakIFix shook me down for another $100 module that probably didn't need fixing in the first place)
P5

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My Pixel 2 has been terrific and I wish I could replace the battery while keeping the water resistance.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ThermoPhysical posted:

> The Android Thread - it worked fine for 6 months and then caught on fire

Don't forget to give it a 4 star rating!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

dissss posted:

How long did you have the 6P for? Mine needed a battery replacement about two weeks before the two year mark and the replacement battery died after another 18 months.

A year I believe. My wife's 6p battery did die on her a bit early too, forgot about that one.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Trying to think if I've ever had *any* electronics poo poo itself in my possession (not including wife's stuff) and drawing a blank other than about five Xbox 360s.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I noticed today while taking and sending off unsolicited nudes that my phone default gallery (s10) had a share to Instagram story. Aside from dick picing my family is this some bullshit Samsung thing or did IG actually modify my other apps? IG and thus the button is now gone but what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

salt shakeup posted:

My manager went through 3-4 faulty Pixels, my Pixel broke after a year, but my Pixel 2XL was working great up until I sold it recently.

I wonder if its skewed to LG due to the boot loop issues that lost them a class lawsuit.

This is my bet as well. :eng101: Fun fact: those bootloops were caused by failing Snapdragon 808 processors which were used almost exclusively by LG in the west (there's also the Moto X Style, the Lumia 950, and Nexus 5x which all had the same bootloop issue). The 808 having two "big" cores compared to the 810's four was marketed as a solution to the thermal problems plaguing the latter processor, but it's much more likely that the 808 was just a binned version of the 810. If that's true, it's likely the integrity of the big cores was suspect from the beginning, and this is reflected in the repair LG applied to affected phones which is a simple software update that locks the remaining "big" cores from being used, leaving just the four "LITTLE" cores.