Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Theyve been making small kitchen appliances for a long time now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Nobody hydrates a pizza like mom!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got a cordless DeWalt drill and impact driver. It's so goddamn nice that I dont have to switch outlets constantly.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Is there a big market for damp pizza?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

big mean giraffe posted:

There was in 2015.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's so much dumber than you think:

Black & Decker's bread was buttered by small appliances for a long while. They couldn't get traction in the professional and prosumer tool market because of the perception that they make weak stuff. Their tools were actually as good or better than others on the market, but manly construction men didn't want their tools sharing the brand of coffee makers and wouldn't buy B&D tools.

So in the 90s, B&D dusted off the DeWalt brand -- which they acquired decades earlier -- and slapped it on a range of black & yellow power tools. There was a "Oh yeah, DeWalt, they make good stuff" brand memory that persisted in the trades, so they embraced it. It apparently didn't matter that DeWalt originally made radial arm saws and had nothing to do with the range of tools they started making now.

Thus a brand is (re)born and immediately takes over a massive chunk of the market, despite being fundamentally no different than B&D's old pro/prosumer offerings. :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

big mean giraffe posted:

Not sure if Im falling for :thejoke: but this is a prop from Back to the Future.

Also I always thought it looked really good.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Not sure if Im falling for :thejoke: but this is a prop from Back to the Future.

Also I always thought it looked really good.

Oh thank god I was :stonk: someone had just grabbed a broiling metal tray with their bare meathooks

colas
Feb 14, 2007

We used to always get "soup-y" pizza because they used the wrong mushroom. They contain moisture and lead to damp, swampy pizzas when baked. Use the right mushrooms, amanita muscaria.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How can I reliably tell if thats what Im getting?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

How can I reliably tell if thats what Im getting?

Look at what you got when you get it. If that's what you get, then you got it. Simple.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

buglord posted:

This $200 Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven thing

Chiming in to say you sold me on this absolute unit of a counter appliance. Chucked my lovely Sunbeam toaster, turns out I've been making bad toast for a decade. Stoked to try out air frying cauliflower "wings" for me and my partner.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Sidegrade(from an OP7T) but I'm happy to be on a Pixel again

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

A few months ago I bought a couple of these drinkware sets:

Duralex Made In France Picardie Tumbler Set of 6, 17.62 oz

I was mildly unhappy because the 12oz glasses were a bit small and the 18oz glasses were a bit large. But I bought them because I was tired of my Ikea and Walmart glasses chipping and breaking as I used them. Well tonight I was clumsy and I knocked one of these glasses into the floor and it... just rolled away for a moment. No damage, no glass shards. I'm pretty pleased with these glasses after all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally settled on my place in Melbourne. Eat your heart out three olives

Entrance/atrium with restaurants and offices on the first three floors

Rooftop patio

Gym, sauna, steam room, yoga studio, two outdoor hot tubs

Multiple lounge rooms

Lobby

My actual unit is pretty small with no view but at least they threw in one way blinds. This is the living room

UnfortunateSexFart has a new favorite as of 13:52 on Jan 10, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The lobby reminds me of the underground fortress where I received basic training.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Genuinely curious and not casting shade, do people really find hotel stuff like communal hot tubs and lounge rooms appealing? I assume you have to pay some kind of service charge to keep all that stuff from becoming grim af and I can't envisage myself just...hanging out in some lounge when my actual living room is seconds away. A gym is a gym, but so much of that other stuff feels like advertising fluff that costs me money and robs square footage from my actual home.

Maybe you gotta be less misanthropic to get value from these things.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jeza posted:

Genuinely curious and not casting shade, do people really find hotel stuff like communal hot tubs and lounge rooms appealing? I assume you have to pay some kind of service charge to keep all that stuff from becoming grim af and I can't envisage myself just...hanging out in some lounge when my actual living room is seconds away. A gym is a gym, but so much of that other stuff feels like advertising fluff that costs me money and robs square footage from my actual home.

My sister used to live in an apartment complex that had similar amenities and they have their purposes. The lounge rooms came in handy when we had to host a wake after our mom died 3 years ago, and considering the amount of people that attended it was great as there was no way we were going to fit the guest into her place.

My sister's place also had a private movie theater that could be reserved & used to watch stuff on a legit projection screen. That was pretty neat.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My last apartment complex had a private pool, hot tub and small gym. It was pretty nice because the community age was fairly young and I worked weird hours so I had everything to myself at 11pm when I'd get home from work.

It technically also had a lounge and TV area but it comingled where the staff would do their admin work. Hardly a chill place to hang.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Rooftop patio

Multiple lounge rooms

Lobby

My actual unit is pretty small with no view but at least they threw in one way blinds. This is the living room

Looks mint. Cant wait to visit

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yes soon as this plague is over we are going to crash the hell out of your pad. Really filth it up.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

It technically also had a lounge and TV area but it comingled where the staff would do their admin work. Hardly a chill place to hang.

This is what confuses me about shared spaces in apartment buildings.

With shared gyms, theres at least other equipment for you to use.

A shared lounge is the equipment. What do you do when someone else is using it?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

With shared gyms, theres at least other equipment for you to use.

Do something else Id assume.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Socialize?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Horse Clocks posted:

With shared gyms, there’s at least other equipment for you to use.

Shared spaces work a little better in Australia where people are friendly and sociable with strangers.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jeza posted:

I know from my experience, having moved into a brand new building once it finished construction

- Gym, great... other than people hogging equipment or being generally obnoxious about gym etiquette or not cleaning after themselves

- Pool / hot tub , turn into cess pools. At all times you can expect some part of the pool or hot tub or steam room to be closed for 'maintenance' or cleaning. It's a lot of younger people in my building and they treat it like garbage.

- Common rooms, library etc , generally empty with the occasional person trying to study or do work

- Lobby, looks great for about a week until the first person rams a shopping cart into the wall or something else destructive. Then the building corp gives up trying to constantly spend money on repairs and upkeep since the monthly fee's dont keep up with the costs. After 2-3 years it's just another slightly nice looking lobby with one flickering bulb that never gets changed

- Oh and for some reason we have 5 elevators but at any time at least 3 are sitting idle or on the top floors or penthouse, even with a queue of 10 people waiting for an elevator, i've had to take the stairs before because it was such a long wait for the 1 running elevator

Content:

It's on back order and not supposed to arrive until end of Feb, but i just got a message it may be in for shipping tomorrow!

Now I can become the hermit I was destined to be

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Why would I want to talk to people I don't know? Y'all are weird.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Rooftop patio

Multiple lounge rooms

Lobby

How far away from Melbourne Park are you? I'd go to the Aussie Open for the full 2 weeks every year if I were close by.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

How far away from Melbourne Park are you? I'd go to the Aussie Open for the full 2 weeks every year if I were close by.

This is in South Yarra/Forrest Hill and is walkable to the Open if it's not 47 degrees (which it sometimes is).

Nice pickup by the way, one of the better buildings in the area besides Lucia IMO.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Josh Lyman posted:

It's a 30 min walk down the river or 10 mins by car on days like today where you'd die of heat stroke. 36c/97f

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

johnnyratbastard posted:

Nice pickup by the way, one of the better buildings in the area besides Lucia IMO.

I've already seen like 5 different Lucia residents in their underwear from my magnificent view. They've probably seen my dong as well.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Some pallet forks for my tractor. Bought them three months ago and they finally showed up...

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I am now in the Glerups gang. Boot style in charcoal with the black rubber sole. I was unable to get the ones I wanted in my size direct from Glerups so I went through a third party. I was in sore need of new slippers so I am excited to break these in.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

owl_pellet posted:

I am now in the Glerups gang. Boot style in charcoal with the black rubber sole. I was unable to get the ones I wanted in my size direct from Glerups so I went through a third party. I was in sore need of new slippers so I am excited to break these in.

u have the exact ones i have and i think u have to buy thru 3rd party for the black sole (i did), its like a collab or something - anyway good taste you

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm a homo ner babyyyyy! :toot:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

Nope it's a trash garbage building and not a home until it has lawn flamingos/inflatable decorations. It's out of my control I don't make the rules!

edit: I'd also accept a car on cinder blocks preferably with a nice coating of rust. I see snow, so maybe salted roads? Shouldn't be too hard.

Duck and Cover has a new favorite as of 08:10 on Jan 13, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SpartanIvy posted:

Don't feel bad for spending a little extra on a tool you will use frequently for many many years. You'll get a better return on that money than with most things we buy these days.

Not making GBS threads, but even cheap knives last decades if you maintain them. I bought a sharpener so my knives are really sharp:

Last summer I bought a vice and built a forge, so eventually I'll make my own kitchen knives.

I have a bread knife that lost it's handle, making new one in wood soon.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

NewFatMike posted:

loving gratz man. It's coming up on 3 years for me and it still feels unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

Nope it's a trash garbage building and not a home until it has lawn flamingos/inflatable decorations. It's out of my control I don't make the rules!

edit: I'd also accept a car on cinder blocks preferably with a nice coating of rust. I see snow, so maybe salted roads? Shouldn't be too hard.

Oh just you wait!

We're going to see if we can replace the grass with native flowering plants and ground cover to give bee friends a nice stop.

Aramek posted:

loving gratz man. It's coming up on 3 years for me and it still feels unreal.

It's fully weird, I'm still sleeping at the apartment one more night until the movers come tomorrow. Odd to be between the two spaces, but I'm glad it's only for today!