Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A helpful note: when you go to hand in the last of the animal skins, Daphnae is no longer at her temple / lodge, she is way over the map on Chios Island. I was lost a while at this point :o:

Post back when you do finish, pls.

I just realized I was leveled up enough to chew through these, and :arghfist::saddowns:, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I just realized I'm finally leveled enough to handle the rest of them. Let's go take care care of this boar, it's next on the list...

...this stupid poison boar can bite me. :argh:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vandar posted:

I just realized I'm finally leveled enough to handle the rest of them. Let's go take care care of this boar, it's next on the list...

...this stupid poison boar can bite me. :argh:

That's genuinely the hardest fight in the game if I'm thinking about the right one. Lead some mercenaries into it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

She's a tree that just wants to feed everyone shitloads of apples

So, a giving tree.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah the boar was by far the hardest fight I had in that game. Those statues that come to life in the DLC can get you if you're not careful too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That guy is the entire reason I'm not bothering with the Artemis side quest this run.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

OH NO, Aphrodite accidentally got Ares' essence!

*waggle eyebrows*

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, the boar was definitely the hardest of the animals for me. On the other end of things, the bull was almost insultingly easy.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Post back when you do finish, pls.

I finished your stupid animal hunting quest. I don't think I like this game anymore. :argh:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
But you get a new cool, all-female sailor crew! And the songs all have male and female variants to reflect what gender your crew is, which is lowkey one of my favorite things about Odyssey.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's genuinely the hardest fight in the game if I'm thinking about the right one. Lead some mercenaries into it

Honestly I think I just kited it out with poison and fire arrows, plus abusing the slow motion dodge to the side.

The adds though.. god the adds are just the worst. Easily the hardest fight in my play through so far

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I figured the giant fartpig was probably resistant to poison. I feel like repeated assassination spear strikes are the fastest/safest bet against animals so I just did those while keeping it consistently on fire.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Melee is always an option. Every guide I looked at screamed that you'd want to go max hunter against Medusa. I killed her with a mace instead. :black101:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I started playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising and I had to laugh at how the first time you jump into one of the rifts Zeus declares you dead and fake credits start rolling.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

muscles like this! posted:

I started playing Immortals: Fenyx Rising and I had to laugh at how the first time you jump into one of the rifts Zeus declares you dead and fake credits start rolling.

Fenyx seems like all the good bits of Zelda and AC mushed together. My fav bit so far has been Fenyx victoriously smashing a chest with her right hand, doing absolutely nothing but injuring herself, then quietly flipping it open with only the required effort with the other hand.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The comedy is on point in Fenyx Rising. I like early in Athena's zone where she loses patience with Fenyx's fawning and just bursts out with ]"GO... DO HERO THINGS! Learn hero lessons!" Then the mission title is just Do Hero Things

Also Haephestus is the best boi :3:

The sidequest mythology references are also cool, like the Odysseus challenge harkening to the end of the Odyssey where to prove who he is he fires an arrow through a bunch of axe handles

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Jan 8, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

:laffo:
I'm still waiting a bit since I've been heavy into BotW/AssCreed for some months, but everything I see about it looks pretty great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was already laughing at doing not one, but two fake Minotaur scam quests after defeating the actual Minotaur, but I was incredibly happy to find the super awesome prize at the end.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that the Gods in Fenyx Rising all react differently to being robbed of their essences - Aphrodite knows who she used to be and is happy enough not being that person anymore, doing everything she can to avoid uniting with her Essence and becoming a gossipy nightmare again, considering her entire existence being a waste of her immortality gossiping about the other Gods.

On the other hand, Haephestus finds bliss in his ignorance - he has no idea who he used to be and in his head he's just an artist, however his hands know and abandon the rest of him.

Then you have Athena and Ares, Athena being Terrified and flailing about because she doesn't know what to do anymore and can't handle that, so is grasping at straws trying to put together some semblance of a plan. and Ares being completely frozen with fear in contrast, not wanting to leave the safety of his farm.

for context: I've finished Aphrodite's story stuff and I'm halfway through Athena's. I have only met the other two guys, haven't even started their quests properly yet.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:56 on Jan 9, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Honestly I think I just kited it out with poison and fire arrows, plus abusing the slow motion dodge to the side.

The adds though.. god the adds are just the worst. Easily the hardest fight in my play through so far

I think that's Pig #1 you're talking about with the mini-pigs who blindside you FFUUCCK OOFFF :o:

If so, you really won't like Pig #2 (but it's fine, it has no add helpers) :twisted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

I was already laughing at doing not one, but two fake Minotaur scam quests after defeating the actual Minotaur, but I was incredibly happy to find the super awesome prize at the end.

God I loved this whole bit of the game, the place being an absolute tourist trap. Got a bunch of genuine lols out of me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I just accidentally killed a cultist out of nowhere in Odyssey, without any idea they were a cultist.

I guess the game is back in my good graces now.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

There's an unexpectedly large number of times where you're just randomly killing people and it turns out you're killing surprisingly important people. Just part of the #misthioslife I guess

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I really enjoyed hunting Cultists in Odyssey, it actually felt like chipping away at this vast organization through the tidbits of info you can scrape together.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I just started playing Haven via Xbox Game Pass. You play as a couple and as you hover along in their weird planet they will sometimes hold hands and it's adorable.

Fartington Butts has a new favorite as of 09:20 on Jan 9, 2021

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
One thing I like about Odyssey is that it manages to nail that sense of historic wonder that the games with Ezio managed, but the series struggled with ever since. Maybe it's because the characters get actual time to breath, or maybe it's just because I'm a huge need for classic history, but attending an Athenian symposium during the city's golden age is exactly as cool as it sounds.

And then you help out Euripides by getting Aristophanes piss drunk, after the latter embarrassed the former so hard he's now sitting out the party from the kitchen. And everybody wonders who the gently caress decided to invite Socrates, as he goes around making guests incredibly uncomfortable by being THAT guy at the party.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vandar posted:

I just accidentally killed a cultist out of nowhere in Odyssey, without any idea they were a cultist.

I guess the game is back in my good graces now.

Some Cultists are necessarily gated away by the plot but most you can find on your own if you have a guide or just know where to look. Sometimes there are long quest chains that you can bypass entirely just by shanking the right dude.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

exquisite tea posted:

Some Cultists are necessarily gated away by the plot but most you can find on your own if you have a guide or just know where to look. Sometimes there are long quest chains that you can bypass entirely just by shanking the right dude.

I also really love this, and it's not been a thing in other ac games in the same frequency. In Valhalla it only happened once so far.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I think that's Pig #1 you're talking about with the mini-pigs who blindside you FFUUCCK OOFFF :o:

If so, you really won't like Pig #2 (but it's fine, it has no add helpers) :twisted:

Nah I beat the whole thing already, I did confuse them in my head though! Pig 2 I killed mostly through stacking hunter damage and poisoning/lighting on fire. It took a while to get him but it wasn't too bad that way. Just had to plan ahead to keep the poison he drops from taking over the field

Pig 1 was way more annoying to me because I didn't have a good plan and I kept getting comboed out of the game by pig chaining

The easiest one was definitely the giant deer!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's an unexpectedly large number of times where you're just randomly killing people and it turns out you're killing surprisingly important people. Just part of the #misthioslife I guess

Yeah, I just randomly walked in to Deianeira, then I learned that there's an entire chain of quests that I bypassed.
There was also times that I killed a person and got a notification that I had just finished a quest without knowing it. I liked that the explanation given was that Kassandra was feeling a bit bloodthirsty and now she could collect the rewards.

exquisite tea posted:

I had pretty much killed off every cultists except for the plot related ones by the time I was halfway through the game.

Little things in the Last of Us Part Deux:
There's no fall damage which is the most annoying kind of damage.
There's no bullet sponges in the game. Not even the armored ones. On the downside this means that you also can't take that many bullets.
I'm sorry Bear.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 15:21 on Jan 9, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sobatchja Morda posted:

One thing I like about Odyssey is that it manages to nail that sense of historic wonder that the games with Ezio managed, but the series struggled with ever since. Maybe it's because the characters get actual time to breath, or maybe it's just because I'm a huge need for classic history, but attending an Athenian symposium during the city's golden age is exactly as cool as it sounds.

And then you help out Euripides by getting Aristophanes piss drunk, after the latter embarrassed the former so hard he's now sitting out the party from the kitchen. And everybody wonders who the gently caress decided to invite Socrates, as he goes around making guests incredibly uncomfortable by being THAT guy at the party.

loving Sokrates. The most "Well, actually" guy to ever exist, all "I didn't try to say anything" when he gets rhetorically shown up by a mercenary. I love him.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bony tony posted:

loving Sokrates. The most "Well, actually" guy to ever exist, all "I didn't try to say anything" when he gets rhetorically shown up by a mercenary. I love him.

He's such a goon, I did a quest where he made me evaluate the morality of a starving guy stealing a horse from someone who really wouldn't miss it. Then the next quest, right after a slave owner wants me to assassinate someone before he'll give the slave their promised freedom, he just "happens" to show up to smugly question my ethics. He's like a Morality Riddler.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always like when a mostly comedic game allows certain things to have some weight, like Immortals: Fenyx Rising's treatment (game spanning sidequest spoilers) of Daedelus - you get some very sombre voice recordings as you solve his puzzles and explore his creation and the reasons why he undertook it, and it's a very sad but sweet motivation where he's just hoping the Gods will give him back his lost son, and then at the end of the sidequest Zeus shits all over the tone with the revelation of a bad pun that ended his story abruptly. It's kind of funny, but also puts you in an interesting mindset of "gently caress you Zeus. seriously?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He's such a goon, I did a quest where he made me evaluate the morality of a starving guy stealing a horse from someone who really wouldn't miss it. Then the next quest, right after a slave owner wants me to assassinate someone before he'll give the slave their promised freedom, he just "happens" to show up to smugly question my ethics. He's like a Morality Riddler.

There's a reason he was forced to drink hemlock.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bony tony posted:

But you get a new cool, all-female sailor crew! And the songs all have male and female variants to reflect what gender your crew is, which is lowkey one of my favorite things about Odyssey.

lol there's an achievement for ramming through an enemy ship with an all-woman crew, I'm glad this thread reminded me that the ship customization menu exists.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The female bandit crew theme is located to the south-west of Naxos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's also male and female Ares lunatics on the western edge of the map in a deep underwater cave, and female Cultists but I forget where I got those.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll probably bail on it for now. I hit that point common to open world games where I'm 60 hours in, finished the main plot and rounded up the rest of the cultists, and I think I'm just done. Loved it, will play it again, but I have no particular interest in wandering around ticking stuff off the list.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sonic Generations: the music in the level select dynamically changes based on your proximity to the different areas and characters.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I had the option to turn my crew into female sirens but I would have had to pay 60 occirulm or whatever that weird currency is and I don’t know if that’s a smart move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Orichalcum, now that's a system that belongs in the other thread.