Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Perhaps a hamster posted:

We're key workers and we've already seen risk assessments (lol), so I think we might be out of luck here

Hmm yeah okay the easy stalling tactics won't work then. Section 44 is based on your assessment though so if it feels unsafe or people in your role start testing positive then you've still got grounds to invoke it, but this is a power struggle so it depends how worried your coworkers are as well really and what you can do together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

^^Yeah, the risk assessment doesn't look too bad on paper; it just doesn't really account for the fact that it's entirely up to us to police (so to speak) people from approaching any closer than at a safe distance, or keep their masks on, and on busy days when you're juggling five things at once as is it's hard to maintain energy to keep shouting at everyone to give you some breathing space.^^

ronya posted:

Interestingly I saw some US commentary to the effect that the US would take a while yet to spin up mass injection sites anyway and wouldn't hit the supply limit for a while, and could watch the UK to see how the strategy shakes out in the meanwhile

Which strategy? The 12-week gap?

Perhaps a hamster fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 8, 2021

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Which strategy? The 12-week gap?

Yep.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Honestly, have I missed something here with the whole debate, or is that strategy literally not based on anything scientific and is just wishful thinking, considering the studies were performed with the much shorter duration in-between doses?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The 12 week wait and the single dose both seem to be based on various degrees of wishful thinking not covered in the original studies, just different types of wishful thinking aiming for different end goals.

Fauci was a large opponent of the single dose idea until very recently, has that changed?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Honestly, have I missed something here with the whole debate, or is that strategy literally not based on anything scientific and is just wishful thinking, considering the studies were performed with the much shorter duration in-between doses?

the JCVI's own reasoning: https://app.box.com/s/iddfb4ppwkmtjusir2tc/file/759357623956?sb=/details

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...0-december-2020

key points:

1) apparently they obtained the raw data Pfizer used to derive its duration estimates and came to their own conclusions (this is what the 'from first principles' point means)

2) they argue that that the Pfizer/AstraZeneca/Moderna vaccines are similar enough that reasoning about one applies to the other, and the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine did study a 12 week interval

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Thanks.

I mean, I would like to hope it actually works out, I just don't have much faith in... well, any decisions this government makes, about anything.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The cases for the vaccine recipients basically flatline after about 12 days (2nd dose around 21) so there's evidence it works. However we can't be sure because it wasn't tested as a single dose.

It's probably fine but it's not something you'd do unless you were desperate, which to be honest we are.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

When you do a population study you aren't meant to use a whole population though :(

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Saros posted:

The cases for the vaccine recipients basically flatline after about 12 days (2nd dose around 21) so there's evidence it works. However we can't be sure because it wasn't tested as a single dose.

It's probably fine but it's not something you'd do unless you were desperate, which to be honest we are.

i feel like this pandemic combined with brexit might bring forth enough changes to potentially end the british state as we currently understand it, not even functioning in northern ireland

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dead Goon posted:

[edit] There are 57 baked beans in a tin of Heinz Baked Beans and that is the maximum amount of beans you should try and fit up your arse.

Nonsense. You’re just not trying hard enough.

Coffee makes me jittery and talkative and then a few hours later I crash, so I rarely drink it, apart from iced coffee at home in summer when it’s hot. (Make coffee in the morning, sweeten to taste, allow to cool, chill. Later add milk and ice for amazing iced coffee).

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ClientJournoExp/status/1347628215976796162?s=19

Telegraph with the sensitive headlines.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The bigger worry is when we hit 12 weeks from people's first jab and they're way behind their target (which they will be), will they use that to justify giving more first doses and delay the second even further?

Then after that's dealt with, we run into the fact that phase one ends after everyone over 50 has been vaccinated, which by pure coincidence is the age bracket below which demographic voting patterns break in Labour's favour.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I got a "hamper" (cardboard box) of foods from work as a Christmas thing. It featured some vanilla fudge. It compares to Camrath's fudge as a McDonalds hamburger does to a fine steak.

Also, Camrath, can you still ship to the EU? :ohdear:

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 8, 2021

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Is wanting to eat a tomato in January neo liberalism
Essentially, this is what tinned tomatoes and jars of pasta sauce are for.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this posted on social media during the week.

What do the SAGE members of UKMT make of it?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Jakabite posted:

Sorry to hear this :( I hope you have people around you to lean on. If not my DMs are open.

Thanks. A few friends and my wife are supporting, it's just poo poo.

And I'm now feeling angrier than ever at the government that let this poo poo happen.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

The Question IRL posted:

It's pretty accurate, originally posted as way to point out how the gov is pretty much doing everything possible wrong rather than as an actual conspiracy theory.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Olpainless posted:

And I'm now feeling angrier than ever at the government that let this poo poo happen.

Yeah our little one's school opened on Monday, for one day only, and we just got an email saying they were in close contact with a confirmed case. I'm loving furious

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The Question IRL posted:

I saw this posted on social media during the week

Ah ok.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Convex posted:

Yeah our little one's school opened on Monday, for one day only, and we just got an email saying they were in close contact with a confirmed case. I'm loving furious

that sucks but seems like it could have been foreseen

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

"Olpainless" posted:

Sorry about your nan and I hope she will be comfortable whatever happens.
Also hope your niece and partner will be ok. x

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

kecske posted:

that sucks but seems like it could have been foreseen

go gently caress yourself

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

The Question IRL posted:

The source is this tweeter: https://twitter.com/PaulBieniasz/status/1345195420033691648

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Convex posted:

go gently caress yourself

seems a little harsh when I'm criticising the governments push to have the schools open at all when community infection is still rising, and not whatever your personal decision making is, but sure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That did read a little more like it was directed at Convex, at least to me.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
maybe they didn't take offence at anything and are just generally being hostile

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ya fuckin bastards yis

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

maybe they didn't take offence at anything and are just generally being hostile

i sometimes feel like this thread doesn't like me, thats the vibe i get

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
*sticks up middle finger* Up yours, JERKWAD!!!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jakabite posted:

*sticks up middle finger* Up yours, JERKWAD!!!

But i mean genuinely, like it's pretty depressing

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
I got vaccinated today in a small district hospital in the north of england. Which was nice.

The way it is being offered is on a first click basis with no targeting of staff. I was stood in my theatre blues in a line of office staff at 10am. The nurse that jabbed me even commented that I was the first clinical worker she had jabbed that day.

The problem with rolling out NHS vaccine appointments via computer clicking in hospitals is that the staff who spend all day clicking on computers will obviously be at the front of the queue. I'm working in a theatre department that has mostly been turned into a Covid ITU. Yet my colleagues can't book vaccinations on the e mail system because they have all gone and they don't have time to read an email that tells them of new vaccination slots opening. Because they are looking after covid patients.

Please can somebody who works in another trust tell me this idiocy is just localised?

At least we will have a resiliant and robust covid vaccinated human resources department to help us next week when we expect the real surge.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dogatron posted:

Please can somebody who works in another trust tell me this idiocy is just localised?

My dad (who has vascular dementia and can hardly walk) is having dose 1 of the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow. He's been told he'll have to wait a minimum of 15 minutes in an unheated marquee outside a rugby club. Nobody knows when or if the second dose is being administered.

So no, it's not localised.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Dogatron posted:

I got vaccinated today in a small district hospital in the north of england. Which was nice.

The way it is being offered is on a first click basis with no targeting of staff. I was stood in my theatre blues in a line of office staff at 10am. The nurse that jabbed me even commented that I was the first clinical worker she had jabbed that day.

The problem with rolling out NHS vaccine appointments via computer clicking in hospitals is that the staff who spend all day clicking on computers will obviously be at the front of the queue. I'm working in a theatre department that has mostly been turned into a Covid ITU. Yet my colleagues can't book vaccinations on the e mail system because they have all gone and they don't have time to read an email that tells them of new vaccination slots opening. Because they are looking after covid patients.

At least we will have a resiliant and robust covid vaccinated human resources department to help us next week when we expect the real surge.

Well at least those lowly workers in the human resources department won't be blocking a bed for someone else.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Ash Crimson posted:

But i mean genuinely, like it's pretty depressing

Lol, do people post things like this to you?

Ash Crimson posted:

you are consistently a piece of poo poo

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Dogatron posted:

lol how about the internal staff email link being leaked and a huge number of friends and family turning up instead of clinical staff

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, do people post things like this to you?

They post worse things than telling you that your takes suck rear end hth

Insinuating that I'm some kind of ethnonationalist even though I don't believe there's a racial component to being scottish and that anyone can be and can adopt the nationality

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Regarding the "who knew what about the first strain" I was reading this earlier and it says PHE noticed on Dec 8th, wrote a paper about it which got submitted on the 10th, more data submitted on the 18th and the day after is when Boris did his thing about tier 4.

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/scientists-think-know-when-how-4866103

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ash Crimson posted:

i sometimes feel like this thread doesn't like me, thats the vibe i get

Surprisingly when you post from a position of "90% of the posters ITT are morally inferior to me because they are on the wrong side of the magic line" that tends not to foster comradely behaviour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

lol how about the internal staff email link being leaked and a huge number of friends and family turning up instead of clinical staff

Oh snap. Though they did get turned away -it was for staff only and then only those staff (of any type) working in at risk areas.