Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Artelier posted:

Are you saying there are Ultraman comics that don't have giant monsters? That's the whole point of Ultraman! Giant humanoid fight giant monster until beep boop laser beam!

There is a single, very short sequence with a giant monster in the fifth and final issue of Rise of Ultraman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

There is a single, very short sequence with a giant monster in the fifth and final issue of Rise of Ultraman

Wait, seriously?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Wait, seriously?

Yes. The monsters are small for most of the mini-series. In like issue 3 or 4 it's revealed that the monsters they thought they were killing were actually being sent to a parallel dimension where they got giant. In the fifth issue one giant monster gets out and Ultraman has a like two page fight with it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Do the Ultraman comics reference Ultra Q at all? Like are any of the monsters from it or do those reporters show up or anything?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vince MechMahon posted:

Do the Ultraman comics reference Ultra Q at all? Like are any of the monsters from it or do those reporters show up or anything?

Oh god. They reference Ultra Q in a way that seems designed to make Ultra Q fans unhappy. Ultra Q was the name of a secret monster fighting group in the 50s that is the predecessor to the modern day anti-monster organization. The first issue has a black and white back up feature about it. There's no plucky girl reporter Yuriko investigating the latest evidence that the world had become unbalanced, instead there's some lady stabbing an 8 foot tall Bemular with an electric sword!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It seems like the current writer for Rise (and unfortunately Trials of Ultraman) just wanted to write a feeble, semi-useless Ultraman and rely on his massive storytelling skills on portraying hip young Japanese people vs old corrupt Japanese sterotypes to tell a story that only marginally involves giant rubber suits pounding on each other

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's bad if you like ultraman and also if you don't like ultraman

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
This Art Adams variant was the only reason I peeped in on this series.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

As great as that cover is, the comic itself is a wet fart

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Yes. The monsters are small for most of the mini-series. In like issue 3 or 4 it's revealed that the monsters they thought they were killing were actually being sent to a parallel dimension where they got giant. In the fifth issue one giant monster gets out and Ultraman has a like two page fight with it.

Did Bendis secretly ghost write this poo poo?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gripweed posted:

there's some lady stabbing an 8 foot tall Bemular with an electric sword!

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this sounds rad?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaz-L posted:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this sounds rad?

Sure, but the problem is that they called it Ultra Q. Ultra Q was a series about a plucky girl reporter and her two pilot friends investigating the strange occurrences that happened because the world had become unbalanced. It was a little like a cross between The Twilight Zone and the X-Files. Instead of entering The Twilight Zone, you entered an Unbalanced world much like out own, where strange and marvelous and horrifying things beyond human control happened.

A few years back they did a revival, Neo Ultra Q, which was about a psychotherapist and his friends who tried to help people find their way in an Unbalanced world. The first episode was about a guy who wants to destroy all the giant monsters because one killed his family. The conclusion of the episode wasn't about him actually finding a way to destroy all the giant monsters, but finding a way to live in a world where giant monsters exist.

The Ultra Q franchise is something unique and great, and to turn it into just a badass chick with an electric sword killing monsters really sucks.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Ah, I see Marvel are offering me a 1:50 incentive variant on a ASM 2nd printing. What a good and healthy industry this indicates.

:suicide:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Read the Power Rangers comics instead, honestly. v:v:v

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BrianWilly posted:

I've tried,but I can't get into Super Sentai. It's just not for me.

Other than Akibaranger, of course, but that has a different appeal.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Why not try again, right?

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1348729353677533186

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wasn't there an Ultimate Clone Saga too?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Wasn't there an Ultimate Clone Saga too?

Yeah, but it was well, well before Mikes existed. And it was "only" eight issues on a book that shipped 18 times a year.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Guess I won't need to read mm Spidey for the next 3 years

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In fairness, Ahmed's been setting this up for a while, with the weird lab that kidnapped Miles and led to Jeff and Aaron both getting back in the game.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

BrianWilly posted:

The Power Rangers comic is just as egregiously American Superhero Comics (TM) as what Rise does with Ultraman

I mean, on some level that's just the exact nature of what's being done but at the same time I can't help but feel there should be a way to do these properties as comics without having them lose so much of their distinctive identity as a result. This isn't just limited to these books, though, as that "Ultraman except now he's Iron Man mixed with Kamen Rider" manga has the same problem.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd argue that Power Rangers makes it work precisely because it IS Power Rangers, and not Super Sentai. Leaning into the 'teen superheroes' aspect which is a tried-and-true spin on the superhero genre makes the whole thing sing, on top of actually putting a modicum of thought into the characters and trying to give them more shading than the basic cardboard cut-outs they often were in the shows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Karma Tornado posted:

yes, I agree, I'm more saying that going "when's the last time the Punisher has been in a comic" is pointless, because most of the people who are aware of the Punisher have never read a comic

Ennis said the same thing in defense of it: from https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/punisher-skull-logo-marvel-capitol-riots;

"I’ve said this before a couple of times, but no one actually wants to be the Punisher," Ennis exclusively told SYFY WIRE. "Nobody wants to pull three tours of duty in a combat zone with the last one going catastrophically wrong, come home with a head full of broken glass, see their families machine-gunned into bloody offal in front of their eyes and then dedicate the rest of their lives to cold, bleak, heartless slaughter."

"The people wearing the logo in this context are kidding themselves, just like the police officers who wore it over the summer," he added. "What they actually want is to wear an apparently scary symbol on a T-shirt, throw their weight around a bit, then go home to the wife and kids and resume everyday life. They've thought no harder about the Punisher symbol than the halfwits I saw [on Wednesday], the ones waving the Stars & Stripes while invading the Capitol building."

With regards to the skull symbol, he dismissed suggestions that it had any impact on inspiring the actions of those who adopt it. "No one’s going to suggest that the American flag is now a fascist symbol and should be treated as such, just because a bunch of would-be fascists employed it yesterday," Ennis said. "I doubt there’s anyone who would suggest that any of the clowns who wore the Punisher skull [Wednesday] would have acted any differently in DC had it or the character never existed. They did what they did because their demented turd of a leader convinced them the election had been stolen; if you're ready to take violent action on that basis then no bloody, silly T-shirt you wear will have any bearing on the line you've crossed. In fact, it's completely irrelevant."

Marvel did solicit a 616 Punisher vs. Barracuda story for this year, but delayed it due to Covid and quietly cancelled it when the George Floyd protests started in June.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I kind of see his point; if Marvel dropped the Punisher as a character, they could keep their conscience clean, but it would fix nothing. Dudes trying a coup wearing Punisher stuff aren't imitating the actual Frank Castle from comics or TV, it's just a symbol with a tenous relation to their right wing fantasies.

It's a weird situation and though I understand the request for Marvel to drop the character or enforce their trademarks, I can't see it making any actual change.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I kind of see his point; if Marvel dropped the Punisher as a character, they could keep their conscience clean, but it would fix nothing. Dudes trying a coup wearing Punisher stuff aren't imitating the actual Frank Castle from comics or TV, it's just a symbol with a tenous relation to their right wing fantasies.

It's a weird situation and though I understand the request for Marvel to drop the character or enforce their trademarks, I can't see it making any actual change.

Yeah, even if Marvel published a comic where the Punisher just looks straight to camera and talks about how he thinks guns are bad actually and how his crusade is not good and then gets therapy before turning himself over to the cops, then Marvel never publishes another Punisher comic, it wouldn't make a difference to the people using the symbol in real life. Like Karma Tornado said, like 90% or more of those people will never see said comic (or read that Ennis interview) and wouldn't notice the lack of Punisher appearing in comics, and the 10% who do will just talk about how the evil liberals are ruining the Punisher because they don't get Frank Castle and how the old stuff was good. Plus they'd just latch on to some other gun-toting vigilante, which comics aren't exactly short on. Probably Deadpool. Which gives me an excuse to post this

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 12, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What they should do is be very very careful about who gets to use Punisher in comics or other mediums, because if it's not making that 10% really mad, they're probably loving up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

I'd argue that Power Rangers makes it work precisely because it IS Power Rangers, and not Super Sentai. Leaning into the 'teen superheroes' aspect which is a tried-and-true spin on the superhero genre makes the whole thing sing, on top of actually putting a modicum of thought into the characters and trying to give them more shading than the basic cardboard cut-outs they often were in the shows.

Agreed. Like... what identity did they have aside from being generically nice and into martial arts I guess? Kim's going through her parent's divorce. Trini's an army brat finally glad to have a stable group of friends. I was not sold on the original series initially but Ryan Parrott's stuff is amazing. My only issue with Go Go Power Rangers was it sort of drifted away from 'the daily lives of the Rangers' but it and the two new ongoings are all really good and worth the time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I just got finished reading the King in Black Iron Man Doctor Doom issue. While a story of them fighting Santa Claus is a fun idea, I have to say it was definitely not a King in Black tie in that anyone needed.

Probably should have released it before Christmas at the very least.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

TwoPair posted:

Plus they'd just latch on to some other gun-toting vigilante, which comics aren't exactly short on. Probably Deadpool. Which gives me an excuse to post this

If I remember correctly Marvel doesn't actually have a copyright on The Punisher's skull icon because it's too general of an image or something like that. But they do have one on Deadpool and about fourty to sixty percent of all popular gun toting vigilante characters in comics meaning that if some far right group actually tries to co opt them then Marvel can just sue the poo poo out of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

David D. Davidson posted:

If I remember correctly Marvel doesn't actually have a copyright on The Punisher's skull icon because it's too general of an image or something like that. But they do have one on Deadpool and about fourty to sixty percent of all popular gun toting vigilante characters in comics meaning that if some far right group actually tries to co opt them then Marvel can just sue the poo poo out of them.

Punisher skull is distinct enough that it's definitely copyright protected. Disney is probably just as terrified of cops as everyone else.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Suing the cops or military is a good way to get an anti-trust or labour rights claim about Disney taken seriously, so they ain't doing that.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not to be a broken record but you don't file for copyright on names, logos, etc. You file for trademarks. For logos it would be the servicemark subsection of trademarks, and Marvel has one for the "Punisher Skull", but it's filed specifically for "CLOTHING, NAMELY, T-SHIRTS, SWEATSHIRTS, [ SHIRTS, ] JACKETS, [ UNDERWEAR, ] HATS, [ HEADBANDS, TIES, ] HALLOWEEN AND MASQUERADE COSTUMES"

For things that are not those very specific items, they'd probably have a decent case for "common law trademark" suits in that the various stickers, patches, etc. with a version of the Punisher logo are meant to evoke their IP, but as litigious as Disney historically is, it's usually been against one clear violator; there are nearly 10,000 hits for "Punisher Skull" on Etsy, and tens of thousands of similar violations for "Spider-Man", "Deadpool" "Avengers", not to mention "Mickey Mouse", "Donald Duck", "Darth Vader", etc. etc. etc.

It would be great for Disney/Marvel to denounce the fascists but it's not like they can have their lawyers draft a letter suing every rear end in a top hat with a Punisher logo somewhere on their truck or jacket. Or I mean technically yes, anything is possible but it would be a massive boondoggle and probably not actually be effective in stopping any chuds from wearing Punisher poo poo.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I recently reread Tom King's Vision; I liked it, though the ending left me wondering was Vision working on a replacement wife or son? was that plot thread picked up elsewhere like Avengers or Champions?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I know I'm alone on this but I dropped King's Vision after literally an entire issue of Vision's child getting slowly electrocuted and then dying as he begged for help. That was some obscene stuff. I had no interest in what the comic had to say after that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I know I'm alone on this but I dropped King's Vision after literally an entire issue of Vision's child getting slowly electrocuted and then dying as he begged for help. That was some obscene stuff. I had no interest in what the comic had to say after that.

It was written by someone who worked for the CIA and was sent to both Iraq and Afghanistan during our wars there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

I recently reread Tom King's Vision; I liked it, though the ending left me wondering was Vision working on a replacement wife or son? was that plot thread picked up elsewhere like Avengers or Champions?

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be him doing just that but no, it hasn't ever been followed up on.

The closest thing was at the end of an Avengers/Champions crossover (the name of which I can't remember but the bad guy is the High Evolutionary) , Viv Vision seemingly dies (spoiler: she didn't actually) and a grief-stricken Vision goes to the house and whips up a new one real fast, justifying it to Wasp that all he wants to do was get the chance to say goodbye before turning her back off. So I guess you could maybe take that as saying that's what he did with his new wife & son from the Vision series? Except that he can't bring himself to actually turn Viv 2 off so I don't know how that would be the case.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Nilbop posted:

The Vision was an incredible horror book. It definitely took him from nobody to the guy on the biggest title in the industry.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Even I quite liked Vision, but there's no denying it still contains some of Tom King's less...savory...quirks. It's kind of difficult to look back on that series 'cuz nowadays all I see are seeds of the heavy-handed grimness to come.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
While I enjoyed it as it was coming out, Vision got way overshadowed for me by the Nighthawk mini concluding in the same week. Vision ended on this tidy, pat note that made it clear all the toys were getting put back in the box, where Nighthawk went out with an uncomfortable, troubling, but undeniably fitting conclusion. Looking back, it must have been like a week or two before Trump got elected, too.

I'd say I want the character back, but they wrote him out in the most ballsy fashion he's probably better off. They should have David F. Walker do something else, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Shows how much attention I've payed to this whole King in Black nonsense that I didn't realize it was giving Seanan McGuire another crack at Ghost Spider. MJarnage is, uh, certainly a twist.