Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Stair, this is ADTRW, not C-SPAM.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

happy birthday eric

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Julias posted:

Stair, this is ADTRW, not C-SPAM.

the cool anime zone

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

redreader posted:

Is this the thread to talk about manga in or not really? I'm looking for a recommendation: I liked hunter x hunter and berserk but I haven't read them in a while and don't want to read unfinished stuff. I tried one piece and it's ... ok... but I don't think I'll continue with it. The art sort of puts me off, and I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat, but while the world is interesting, the characters are pretty dumb, I'm on about chapter 87 and arlong park maybe started being good with the luffy et al vs fishmen fights but it's not THAT good. I read naruto about 11-14 years ago until I got to the latest chapter, and haven't picked it up again. I enjoyed it though. I also really loved Blame!

I read some GITS and it was ok but not really my thing, and enjoyed Dorohedoro but it was a little weird. I really liked the Made in Abyss anime. I liked the Jojo manga, I read up until (I am watching the anime now) the story at the end of season 2 in the anime. Since I watch that when I work out, I don't want to read the manga. I also enjoyed watching Baki but it's not as good as I remember hunter x hunter being, for instance.

Can you recommend some (preferably completed, but if it's absolutely amazing I can read unfinished) manga to me please?

Dai Dark (Unfinished) is from the same author as Dorohedoro and just as delightful and weird.

Properly finished Manga I recommend:

Fist of the North Star + Fist of the Blue Sky
Otokojuku
Karate Shoukoshi Kohinata Minoru
Innocent + Innocent Rouge
Keyman
Crows and its sequel Worst
Tough (the first series is unfortunately still not fully scanlated but the second part and and its spinoff Oton are)
Front Mission: Dog Life and Dog Style

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I beat 13 sentinels. :cheersdoge:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i mean yoko taro's video games also, are not solo written by yoko taro, so it fits that they would feel different from something that is

people discount sawako natori and hana kikuchi's input too much

The irony of Yoko Taro using some weird mask kayfabe persona so that people don’t think of him as a real person or whatever is that he’s become the face of his games on the level of Nomura or Kojima.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

The irony of Yoko Taro using some weird mask kayfabe persona so that people don’t think of him as a real person or whatever is that he’s become the face of his games on the level of Nomura or Kojima.

Being the director has more to do with it than anything, most likely.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Congratulations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it doesn't matter what your involvement is with a game, all that matters is being the most publicly visible. yoko taro's credited the writers on the nier and drakengard games in interviews in the past, but him and his interactions with other members of the dev teams are what people always see so they're the staff people will really acknowledge all that often and since he acts mildly goofy for presentations and such that's the aspect games journalism in particular will focus on

in short, more people should play tales of eternia cause it's interesting how different it is from sawako natori's later works and yet how tightly written it is among tales games and how many smaller ideas from it pop back up in drakengard and nier. i wish venus & braves had a tl also

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 9, 2021

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Finished Great Pretender. Liked it a lot but the actual ending felt kind of perfunctory. Would have liked it to have had either more teeth or more heart, as it is it ended up leaving me a bit cold.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Of the tales games I've played symphonia as a kid (which I liked), the one with Arche briefly, and I've been meaning to play more than 5 minutes of berseria since it was gifted to me however many yearsa ago when it came out.

No idea how those stack up to the other games but they seemed alright.

Velvet is cool.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Velvet is easily in my top 10 RPG characters. Written and voiced so well and that managed to carry the somber mood of the game the entire way.

Plus her pirate outfit is the best.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waiter Velvet is the only Velvet.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

chumbler posted:

Waiter Velvet is the only Velvet.

Disgraceful :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only right answer is to not use her default costume

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the default costume is fine.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

the default costume is fine.
it seriously isn't that bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the default costume, is good

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I still think it’s a super rad outfit that still feels silly to wear the whole game since Velvet is largely trying to keep a low profile until it’s time to gently caress someone’s day up.

Imho this is a moot discussion tho since the clear winner is the waitress outfit anyway :colbert:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

:cheersdoge:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The immaculate underboob window doesn't really mesh with Velvet's character and she states her dislike of it, but also it's in-character that she would refuse to change out of it because she'd be worried the others would think she's a care cat.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1347849471837626369

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That show was pretty goofy and at times even chuckleworthy. I hope the 2nd season is along the same lines especially concerning the dangers of lovely game design :twisted::kimchi:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
She fights for the Users.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark new Chevelle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhPn5EPGN4c

2021 might actually be... good?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not gonna lie, I still jam with Sci-Fi Crimes fairly often ("Jars", "Letter From a Thief" and "Mexican Sun" are super comfy to do warm up on standard 7-string tuning, it's insane).

Love that they appear to have gone back to Drop B tuning.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Never trust a man name Jiff

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Not gonna lie, I still jam with Sci-Fi Crimes fairly often ("Jars", "Letter From a Thief" and "Mexican Sun" are super comfy to do warm up on standard 7-string tuning, it's insane).

Love that they appear to have gone back to Drop B tuning.

Sci-Fi Crimes was so good, but Vena Sera will always be my favourite. Brainiac and The Fad were some of the most fun songs to mess around with back when I was still learning how to guitar.

e: Clones is still by far their best song though. It still bugs me Ive never seen these guys live, though they rarely play in Canada so that might be part of the problem.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 9, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished cross ange... i'm part of the pro-cross ange gang now.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I enjoyed Cross Ange when I saw the plot used in SRW X

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
It's a good show

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
i liked the maid girl the most - i wish she got her own mecha

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Muv Luv is pretty good

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The Colonel posted:

finished cross ange... i'm part of the pro-cross ange gang now.

are you going to watch it two dozen more times

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are you loving crazy i have 20 anime to watch for my 2021 resolution and cross ange doesn't even count for one

super robot wars v does count for my five srpgs and it has the one part cross ange disappointed me on, which was not having enough ange x hilda scenes

i think after this i'll watch mai-otome and pray i hate it less than mai-hime cause i really, really liked a few characters in mai-hime and really really liked the moments where, those characters, were allowed to exist

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 10, 2021

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Just finished the first season of Hibike! Euphonium and I really enjoyed it. I never imagined a show about a high school wind ensemble could be this gripping. I particularly like how Kumiko and Reina drive each other to be better, and the way in which their relationship swings from very understated character moments (like when they practice together under the shade) to extremely intense, extremely intimate scenes like the one before Reina's second audition.

In short, anime good.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

ah,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
and then they get sold to new owner/operators and you have to actually remember the specifics of what you get, instead of asking for "the usual"