Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

PhotoKirk posted:

I remember those same style glasses being used in Fancy Feast commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegEm2J73mM

LOOK AT THAT REGAL KITTYKAT.

My first thought.

Now, Fancy Feast is a midrange-priced cat food that my picky lil' bastard won't eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Spoeank posted:

Hey man do I have good news for you about Choco Tacos

What the gently caress?

Is it a regional thing now? I'm in Oregon and I haven't seen one in a few years. Not at Fred Meyers or any convenience store.

I don't have a sweet tooth but choco tacos are perfection.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

What the gently caress?

Is it a regional thing now? I'm in Oregon and I haven't seen one in a few years. Not at Fred Meyers or any convenience store.

https://www.klondikebar.com/find-a-store

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ahh! Thank you. They aren't in any store I normally go to but I'll gladly go out of my way.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There is a preposterous amount of Choco Tacos in the freezer chests at 99 Cents Only stores.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Inzombiac posted:

What the gently caress?

I see them in most ice cream trucks, and occasionally supermarkets

there was a while where I only saw them in ice cream trucks tho, but also I wasn’t looking/don’t look particularly hard for frozen novelties when I shop for food

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inzombiac posted:

Ahh! Thank you. They aren't in any store I normally go to but I'll gladly go out of my way.

Just remember to wear a mask or get them delivered to you if you can, don't make "catch COVID" your response to what you'd do for a Klondike Bar :ohdear:.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mind the walrus posted:

Be careful, that new Viennetta image has "Frozen Dairy Dessert Cake" clearly visible on it. That means it's not legally considered ice cream by FDA standards, which is what a lot of Breyer's ice cream does.

"Frozen Dairy Dessert" tends to taste like poo poo.

As opposed to Tillamook ice cream which, as it states on the container, "is made with more cream than is legally required"

I think Breyer's does sell at least a few pretty decent variants, but maybe they're not available everywhere.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's more a select few flavors-- Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip and Vanilla are still Ice Cream and are still honestly banger af, but like... Cookies n' Cream? Nah miss me with that poo poo now and forever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I have acquired the Choco Tacos and they are every bit as good as I remember, though a bit smaller...

or am I larger after 15 years?

Bless this thread.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Phanatic posted:

WHAT?

(I miss the hell out of Pudding Pops and Snackin' Cake. Also the Cold War.)

man puddin' pops were so good...

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never knew about that Frozen Dairy Desert thing before so i looked at the ice cream at my store and I only saw Frozen Desert, which makes me think there is no milk in them.
Which is good since when i turned 40 my body decided lactose was something that was bad for me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Just buy generic lactase pills and chug 'em. I'm lactose-intolerant and I can still drink milkshakes if I eat enough of those bad boys along with it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Just buy generic lactase pills and chug 'em. I'm lactose-intolerant and I can still drink milkshakes if I eat enough of those bad boys along with it.

or just somedays you decide that eating all that pizza is worth the diarrhea and go with god

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGJ6RKPHblY

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

made by robots = premium

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Mods, please strike down the filth and the wicked in this thread who wish to harm us by attempting to dispel the myth of how Vienetta is made.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Viannetta is carved from artisanal organic ice cream by hand by blind monks

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Viennetta is made from milk of an extremely rare breed of Swiss cows. There is exactly one small herd in an undisclosed location, and only trained artisans are allowed to milk them while wearing cashmere gloves.

The cows have to grant permission first.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Lindor chocolatiers are special-contracted to provide the chocolate that goes into Viennetta, and ten are personally on staff at all times to drizzle the chocolate on each cake by hand

they are all so handsome

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Thanks for doing god's work, comrades.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've been watching Brutalmoose's videos about found recorded tapes, and in one he mentions how food didn't look good in ads in the 90s but I certainly remember stuff looking good in ads, like our literal mana from heaven, Viennetta.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

A slice of Viennetta ice cream dessert with a cup of International Delight coffeehouse beverage mix was the height of class back in the day.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Those Vienetta cows are also only fed level 12 organic, and 7th degree free range grass.

E: OR HIGHER.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I remember seeing news stories about how McDonald’s quality upon receipt was really different than their ads.

In fact I remember a specific McDonald’s I would go to that actually made their stuff look good and I always tried to go to it only.

I don’t get McD’s a lot nor did really ever but I feel like by and large those ridiculously smashed hosed up burgers have gone away.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dialhforhero posted:

I remember seeing news stories about how McDonald’s quality upon receipt was really different than their ads.

In fact I remember a specific McDonald’s I would go to that actually made their stuff look good and I always tried to go to it only.

I don’t get McD’s a lot nor did really ever but I feel like by and large those ridiculously smashed hosed up burgers have gone away.

I think what did it, at least in Australia, is back when they rightfully killed the idea of just mass-making the burgers and leaving them in the hot tray til someone ordered them. Changing it to a far more sensible make-as-ordered system fixed a lot of issues all round in their relative quality.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

I can’t tell if this is real or sarcasm.

E: maybe it’s just the McDonald’s in my area, but when you get a burger that may not look like the picture (because none of them do) but isn’t beaten up, you consider it a good experience.

empty baggie has a new favorite as of 06:50 on Jan 10, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

empty baggie posted:

I can’t tell if this is real or sarcasm.

E: maybe it’s just the McDonald’s in my area, but when you get a burger that may not look like the picture (because none of them do) but isn’t beaten up, you consider it a good experience.

This is what I mean I guess.

Though I have had McD’s in the middle east and they no poo poo made it look like it does in the picture every time. It was incredible.

Fries tasted off, though, but that was probably because of the oil used.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

We had a viennetta over Christmas, I dont think they ever went away here in the uk.

The one thing I do miss are Terry's pyramints. They were like a three dimensional after eight mint.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Planters used to make this snack that was like a thin wafery peanut-shaped shell filled with a sweet peanut butter mix and it was my fuckin jam, but I haven't seen it in 20+ years.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

You're thinking of PB Crisps, one of the deepest sacraments for US 90s kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTam9BJJq9w

https://pbcrisps.com/

https://the-foods-we-loved.fandom.com/wiki/Planters_P.B._Crisps

This poo poo was only out for three goddamn years.

I'm pretty sure they got discontinued because Planters had to invest in special factory infrastructure to make them and some managerial changes of hands was like "gently caress this cookie poo poo we're loving PLANTERS we do nuts and only nuts!" and never got back to it. Like when a bunch of studio heads at FOX TV invested in Firefly in 2001 all "We're gonna do sci-fi!" and then all of the staff changed and the new people were like "gently caress this sci-fi poo poo!" I have zero basis for that, but when you consider that nothing else in Planters' entire line was like PB Crisps it makes a certain sense.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

mind the walrus posted:

I'm pretty sure they got discontinued because Planters had to invest in special factory infrastructure to make them and some managerial changes of hands was like "gently caress this cookie poo poo we're loving PLANTERS we do nuts and only nuts!" and never got back to it. Like when a bunch of studio heads at FOX TV invested in Firefly in 2001 all "We're gonna do sci-fi!" and then all of the staff changed and the new people were like "gently caress this sci-fi poo poo!" I have zero basis for that, but when you consider that nothing else in Planters' entire line was like PB Crisps it makes a certain sense.

these motherfuckers and coke blak - the two tastes of my childhood that i would absolutely never eat now even if they were still available

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I remember the PB Crisps fondly but yeah, I think I'd prefer to keep those memories as they are.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Planters can of cheese balls was much better than the PB crisps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ultrafilter posted:

I remember the PB Crisps fondly but yeah, I think I'd prefer to keep those memories as they are.

My white whale of old snacks is Smiths Pizza-flavour Chips in Australia. They came back once in, I think, the late 00's/early 10's and never again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

When I was a little kid I was always super disappointed when we got a container of nuts and it was actual nuts and not these. I don't think I ever actually ate any.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Oh man, thanks for the memories.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Was just thinking about how a lot of frozen pizzas these days are crap and longing for a red baron pizza.
https://www.mashed.com/234633/the-untold-truth-of-red-baron-pizza/

Haven't seen one for years, so thought they were no longer made, but it seems like they're still going strong.

In the grand scheme of frozen pizzas, I don't know if they're still as good as I thought they were 20+ years ago but I remember liking them at the time.,

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I had Red Baron last week and it was good. I haven’t noticed any dip in frozen pizza quality. There is and always has been of course stuff like Tombstone which is school cafeteria quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
The Safeway/Vons store brand frozen pizzas are pretty decent