Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 62 44.93%
No 76 55.07%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is it with the Air Force? It's either Jesus Freaks or Weebs or worse...both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PookBear posted:

https://www.wlfi.com/content/news/Shots-Fired-At-Tippecanoe-County-Democratic-Party-Headquarters-573553671.html

SHOTS FIRED AT TIPPECANOE COUNTY DEMOCRATIC PARTY HEADQUARTERS

sorry the bold is from the headline and I'm too lazy to remove it

Gonna guess some CHUD from the Purdue Republican Club

Rick and Morty Interdimensional Cable Short Mysteries confessing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I blame the PCBs in the water around Colorado Springs.

E: oh come on, leave the mysteries to Mike Tyson.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He's different than the other zip tie guy pic floating around, though this one says that he "found" the zip ties. Clothes, tacticlol vest, helmet, etc aren't the same. Also, that other one has a name floating around Twitter now, it's in the CSPAM trump thread.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What is it with the Air Force? It's either Jesus Freaks or Weebs or worse...both.

I loving called it. Air force O5/O6.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

orange juche posted:

I loving called it. Air force O5/O6.

"Woulda been an O-6 if it weren't for all them *mutters sotto voce* on the selection board..." :colbert:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

So, uh, how hosed is LTC shitbird?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
What if, and stick with me here, they'd just shot every last one of the cultists that stormed the Capitol?

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1347749675777011714

It's not too late!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BUG JUG posted:

He was retired, he's subject to the UCMJ, he will go before a courts martial for participating in an attempted overthrow of the US Government and he will rot for the rest of his life in Ft. Leavenworth after they bust him down to E1 and strip him of all rank, awards, and privileges.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

BUG JUG posted:

He's retired so probably at worst they'd yank his pension. I guess they could throw the book at him with the UCMJ.

It's always loving Air Force though, especially pilots. Air Force leadership is historically very conservative with a significant evangelical component. (see: USAFA controversies in years past) When I joined in two thousand loving four there were still people bitching about the Clinton years.

I can only hope recent leadership changes (Black CSAF etc.) are signs of change.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
If only that guy who guessed Trump's twitter password on a lark (MAGA2020! I think it was) had had the foresight to just quietly sit on that knowledge, then use it to maximum comedic effect over the last couple days.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

He was retired, he's subject to the UCMJ, he will go before a courts martial for participating in an attempted overthrow of the US Government and he will rot for the rest of his life in Ft. Leavenworth after they bust him down to E1 and strip him of all rank, awards, and privileges.

Don't stop

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Ok, yeah I guess I was more curious if this was a UCMJ thing since he was ret. or if it was a non military tribunal (VA maybe had jurisdiction or something? idk). Thanks!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He was an officer, ucmj can apply for life, iirc.

I bet a pardon trickles out for him before his court date, but I don't know what that'd do to benefits since accepting it is admitting guilt.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The Eyes Have It posted:

If only that guy who guessed Trump's twitter password on a lark (MAGA2020! I think it was) had had the foresight to just quietly sit on that knowledge, then use it to maximum comedic effect over the last couple days.

Or just did the world a favor and nuked the account when he figured it out.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

He was an officer, ucmj can apply for life, iirc.

It can apply to retirees regardless if they were officer or enlisted.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That, I didn't know. Thanks.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Next dumb question: if he's AF and AF is full of kool aid drinkers, would his Court Martial be AF officers only or is that an inter-service thing? I should really go look this up.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That, I didn't know. Thanks.

yeah, both that and the "for life" bit surprised me quite a bit. And I'm a veteran of ALL THE JAG SEASONS

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Icon Of Sin posted:

It's good to see, but she's nigh-invincible in AK after winning a write-in campaign with a last name like "Murkowski". That was in 2010, against a tea-partier (Joe Miller, a west point grad) who had beaten her in the primary.

I was back home in Alaska during her campaign, she had lots of name recognition because her dad, Frank Murkowski was governor back in the late 90s to 2000 I think? (Also known as Frank the Bank, oil company whore of the highest order).
But her write in campaign ads were on point as well. Chanting Murkowski

"See? Just write MUR - KOW - SKI"
Hell, can't find her old ad I remember seeing, just found a lame one in black and white all hokey.

In contrast, Joe Miller released this ad trying to screw up spelling her name??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mSOWywupmA

Wow, thread moving fast, this is way late.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hang all nobles?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

BUG JUG posted:

Next dumb question: if he's AF and AF is full of kool aid drinkers, would his Court Martial be AF officers only or is that an inter-service thing? I should really go look this up.

It could be joint, but as an officer his jury would have to be all officers. For composition, it depends on the nature of the commander who would serve as the General Courts Martial Convening Authority and how they arrange jury support.

If USAF retiree trials are run by the USAF OJAG (or whatever it's called) in DC then it would probably solicit from the broader NCR and potentially have joint officers. If it would be run by some other USAF command in Oklahoma or whatever other poo poo holes the Air Force puts bases then it would probably just be Air Force officers because they're all that would be around.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Early on in the open source investigation, there were pictures of an open bag full of these zip ties that was determined to have been abandoned by the Capitol Police, so yeah, that does check out.

You can still rightfully wonder what these guys were intending to do with them, but at least it doesn't seem to have been premeditated to a larger extent. From the photos I've seen, #1 and #2 might have been holding the same bundle of ties at different times, rather than each of them having brought some.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Leopards eating faces.

https://twitter.com/parlercringe/status/1347701406699028481?s=21

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've heard the chants when they first got into the chamber area was "WHERE ARE THEY" so yeah, I don't think they just wanted to say "hi."

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

:lol: Nothing but smartest people.

https://twitter.com/alexblagg/status/1347782726858928129?s=19

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

yeah, both that and the "for life" bit surprised me quite a bit. And I'm a veteran of ALL THE JAG SEASONS

Then you should remember the time that Bud's dad got called out of retirement to be court martialed. :colbert:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

HE HAD GUESTS

That was the moment my jaw dropped.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BUG JUG posted:

Ok, yeah I guess I was more curious if this was a UCMJ thing since he was ret. or if it was a non military tribunal (VA maybe had jurisdiction or something? idk). Thanks!

They will most likely let the civilian courts handle it, but they could split it so they can revoke his retirement. Depends on the specific charges available.

BUG JUG posted:

It would be peer officers, same service.
Edit: MML gave the more detailed and more correct answer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

18 USC Ch 115 posted:

(this one probably wouldn't stick unless they're absolutely loving gone and declare a one-man war against the United States and stick to it like a crazy person)
§2381. Treason
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 807; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §330016(2)(J), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

§2383. Rebellion or insurrection
Whoever incites, sets on foot, assists, or engages in any rebellion or insurrection against the authority of the United States or the laws thereof, or gives aid or comfort thereto, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §330016(1)(L), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

§2384. Seditious conspiracy
If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; July 24, 1956, ch. 678, §1, 70 Stat. 623; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §330016(1)(N), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

§2385. Advocating overthrow of Government
Whoever knowingly or willfully advocates, abets, advises, or teaches the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying the government of the United States or the government of any State, Territory, District or Possession thereof, or the government of any political subdivision therein, by force or violence, or by the assassination of any officer of any such government; or

Whoever, with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of any such government, prints, publishes, edits, issues, circulates, sells, distributes, or publicly displays any written or printed matter advocating, advising, or teaching the duty, necessity, desirability, or propriety of overthrowing or destroying any government in the United States by force or violence, or attempts to do so; or

Whoever organizes or helps or attempts to organize any society, group, or assembly of persons who teach, advocate, or encourage the overthrow or destruction of any such government by force or violence; or becomes or is a member of, or affiliates with, any such society, group, or assembly of persons, knowing the purposes thereof—

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.

If two or more persons conspire to commit any offense named in this section, each shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both, and shall be ineligible for employment by the United States or any department or agency thereof, for the five years next following his conviction.

As used in this section, the terms "organizes" and "organize", with respect to any society, group, or assembly of persons, include the recruiting of new members, the forming of new units, and the regrouping or expansion of existing clubs, classes, and other units of such society, group, or assembly of persons.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 808; July 24, 1956, ch. 678, §2, 70 Stat. 623; Pub. L. 87–486, June 19, 1962, 76 Stat. 103; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, §330016(1)(N), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2148.)

They could go up for multiple charges and if they award sentences consecutively, then they could wind up in Leavenworth for a very long time.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

McNally posted:

Then you should remember the time that Bud's dad got called out of retirement to be court martialed. :colbert:

gently caress me, I forgot about that. Boy howdy I was angry at Big Bud after Harm's big reveal at the end of the trial that he knowingly requested Bud as his lawyer, because in case he lost, he could throw him under the bus for inadequate representation and have the verdict thrown out.

Man, teenage me loved that show, despite not knowing the intended audience was seniors or something.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Godholio posted:

That was the moment my jaw dropped.

I don't get it?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't get it?

He had guests on the segment of his show during which he bitterly complained about a rumor that he’d had his lifetime free pass at a lovely Italian restaurant chain revoked. That’s the kind of thing a normal person would ignore or a less unhinged one would have a five second “going to Olive Garden after the show” quip before a commercial break, not spend 20 minutes on national tv whining about a drive by joke on the internet with some other people.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Reportedly, patriotism is one of the easiest things to fake.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Cugel the Clever posted:

What if, and stick with me here, they'd just shot every last one of the cultists that stormed the Capitol?

https://twitter.com/joshscampbell/status/1347749675777011714

It's not too late!

On one hand yes

On the other hand I don't want be part of a bigger police state

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

They could go up for multiple charges and if they award sentences consecutively, then they could wind up in Leavenworth for a very long time.

MCM posted:

21. Article 94 (10 U.S.C. 894)—Mutiny or sedition
a. Text of statute.
(a) Any person subject to this chapter who—
(1) with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority, refuses, in concert with any other person, to obey orders or otherwise do his duty or creates any violence or disturbance is guilty of mutiny;
(2) with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of lawful civil authority, creates, in concert with any other person, revolt, violence, or other disturbance against that authority is guilty of sedition;
(3) fails to do his utmost to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition being committed in his presence, or fails to take all reasonable means to inform his superior commissioned officer or commanding officer of a mutiny or sedition which he knows or has reason to believe is taking place, is guilty of a failure to suppress or report a mutiny or
sedition.
(b) A person who is found guilty of attempted mutiny, mutiny, sedition, or failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.
[...]
(3) Sedition.
(a) That the accused created revolt, violence, or disturbance against lawful civil authority;
(b) That the accused acted in concert with another person or persons; and
(c) That the accused did so with the intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of that authority
(4) Failure to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition.
(a) That an offense of mutiny or sedition was committed in the presence of the accused; and
(b) That the accused failed to do the accused’s utmost to prevent and suppress the mutiny or sedition.
[...]
d. Maximum punishment. Death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.

Of course, the key there is (and is it demonstrable) that the intent was to cause the overthrow or destruction of that authority, or was this a protest or something else? On the other hand, if other members did have that intent and he was aware of it...

piL fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 9, 2021

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Either way the motivation is there to make an example out of a former military person that stormed the capitol in an attempted coup, I imagine a rather solid effort will be made to go for maximum book-throw-ery.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1347767366848040961?s=21

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

For a bunch of take-charge badasses, they sure do have a bunch of "golly gee willikers, I don't know what happened" moments. Maybe he was shooting for king of the idiot stories thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dunno how far the “I just woke up a’holdin’ them” argument is going to fly