Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

drunken officeparty posted:

Also also the losing max hp when you die thing is so dumb

Get the Ring of Binding from Heidi's tower of flame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The one thing I'll say against SotFS is that the early, repairable Ring of Sacrifice you could get from No-Man's was a godsend for new players, and it's a shame that they didn't keep it as an option.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I abused the hell out of life and soul protection rings in the original, it was such a convenience. Still useable in scholar, but not really convenient until late game. I miss there being a ton of them so you could repair them in batches and keep playing uninterrupted longer.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I've never used one except during the auto lose fight with Seath?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

I've never used one except during the auto lose fight with Seath?

The Ring of Sacrifice/Life Protection in the original DS2 was good because of it preventing Hollowing - something which gets progressively much worse than in DS1 - and because of its relatively cheap repair cost. They changed it in SotFS to be buyable from Felkin for 6k souls, but you need to meet the INT/FTH requirements, and its repair cost is 14k (compared to 3k in the original).

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I never played the original but losing 1/4 of your life is such a non-issue that I don't see any reason to go out of your way to prevent it no matter how easy it is

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's pretty preventable given you know the ways to mitigate it, but Dark Souls 2 is imo the game that you can gently caress up the most at in the beginning. there's absolute trap options in DS1 (catacombs, new londo ruins) and DS3 has a weirdly hard first boss for no good reason but I played DS2 without knowing about the durability changes or where anything was and started off Deprived, so I wound up having to fight my way through the Forest of Fallen Giants with a broken straight sword as (ironically) the only non-broken weapon in my inventory.

You can game DS2's systems a lot more than the other games, I think, but that experience left me really feeling like I was a hot dog dipshit with one sip of hi-c and a piece of posterboard duct taped to my arm.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Dark Souls II - a hot dog dipshit with one sip of hi-c

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
That makes me think of the lady trying to cut bread with a door stop attempting to play ds2.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Djeser posted:

You can game DS2's systems a lot more than the other games, I think, but that experience left me really feeling like I was a hot dog dipshit with one sip of hi-c and a piece of posterboard duct taped to my arm.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
That's a brilliant phrase, Djeser, you should pick up writing

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

King of Solomon posted:

Waifu leveling is also in Demon's Souls.
yeah, and letting you level up anywhere in ds1 was a huge improvement and they never should have gone back

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Eh, I’m fine without it. Might be because I could teleport to any bonfire right off the bat, though.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have no strong feelings on the raw mechanic itself, but I do generally dislike the weird, fetishy aspect of the whole thing. ...Which also exists in DS1 even without needing to actually level up via a firekeeper (I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if in an early draft you did).

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

King of Solomon posted:

Waifu leveling is also in Demon's Souls.

also dark souls 3 and bloodborne

Dark Souls 1 tried a lot of one-off things but they were mostly pointless or bad

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

goblin week posted:

also dark souls 3 and bloodborne

Dark Souls 1 tried a lot of one-off things but they were mostly pointless or bad

edgy

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

DS2 would be my favorite but Soul Memory, the lack of full Orbs, and the game's overall slow and gummy gamefeel just ruin it for me. If they remade it with unfucked online components and used the same animations/engine as the rest of the series, it'd be an instant game-of-all-time. Hopefully a decent remake is down the line after DS:R and DeS PS5, because hoo boy does it need it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thank you mods

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Djeser posted:

It's a more vestigial system than it was planned to be, kind of like how Ashen Estus in DS3 was going to be a huge mechanic where you put out bonfires to make them restore Ashen Estus and used corpses to start your own bonfire, but it was scaled back to just be an MP equivalent to regular Estus.

I knew about the removed world ceremony stuff but I didn't know ashen estus was supposed to interact with it, that's cool. you know of any posts or wiki entries or whatever that talk more about that?

clicked this thread for the first time in a long time thanks to the new title, good work

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
This is an amazing change, thank you mods!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

John Murdoch posted:

I have no strong feelings on the raw mechanic itself, but I do generally dislike the weird, fetishy aspect of the whole thing. ...Which also exists in DS1 even without needing to actually level up via a firekeeper (I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if in an early draft you did).

I'm sorry you have a weird fetish for fire keepers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
:rolleyes:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

if that's edgy that explains why your posts are so cut-rate haha

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
There's a couple of creepy things in Dark Souls buts it's very un-creepy for a game from Japan, the country that should be put under UN sanctions requiring all characters in their video games to be sexless mannequins

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The complaint re: slow and gummy feeling while playing. Is that just the animations being different than ds1 or is ds2 actually slower? Also if they changed the animations wouldnt that change the flow of the game from its intended one?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
DS2 has fundamentally different movement from every other soulsborne because of dead zones. Considering how much of a mess the development was, I don't know if a discussion of what was intended is really meaningful

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Charles Bukowski posted:

The complaint re: slow and gummy feeling while playing. Is that just the animations being different than ds1 or is ds2 actually slower? Also if they changed the animations wouldnt that change the flow of the game from its intended one?

I dunno what it is, but all the other games in the series have basically the same core game engine, just tweaked a little, while DS2 is totally different and just feels like everyone and everything is wearing a lead jacket while stuck in molasses at all times. Hitstun/flinch animations are ridiculously long and you're locked into attacks way longer than the other games, you can't combo between R1 and R2 attacks fluidly like you can in the other games, and it just generally feels really 'off'. Even DS1, a relatively slow and plodding game for the series, still has a certain feel of 'finesse' to it that DS2 is missing. Compare like, the Longsword moveset and timings between all the games and maybe that can convey what I mean.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Is that right? DS3 is closer to Bloodborne than DS1 when it comes to speed and response time. Ds1 and 2 are methodical as gently caress, theyre slower than Demons Souls.

I will watch some videos on this or something. I enjoyed Hbomberguys defense. I couldnt sit through Mahlers response to the defense as not even I can sit through 12 hours of "no u."

e: ds2 has dual wielding, argument invalid :P

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 9, 2021

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

you can't combo between R1 and R2 attacks fluidly like you can in the other games
My recollection was that you could combo in 2 where you couldn't in 1.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont think light-heavy attack combos existed until bloodborne where they went bonkers with them. DS2 at least doesnt have any, everything has its own discrete 2 move combo for any given standing attack

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Charles Bukowski posted:

Is that right? DS3 is closer to Bloodborne than DS1 when it comes to speed and response time. Ds1 and 2 are methodical as gently caress, theyre slower than Demons Souls.

I will watch some videos on this or something. I enjoyed Hbomberguys defense. I couldnt sit through Mahlers response to the defense as not even I can sit through 12 hours of "no u."

e: ds2 has dual wielding, argument invalid :P

DS1 and demon's souls have the knobs for adjusting the speeds of things turned to different settings than ds3/Bloodborne. DS2 is a completely different device

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
every time I play ds2 I get mad all over again at the way that rolling attacks have to be in the direction of the original roll and can barely be adjusted where in every other fromsoft game you can roll and then rolling attack in a completely different direction

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Waifu leveling: power bestowed by waifu magick, strength comes from waifu, feels more like a standard RPG thing

The level up waifu made some sense in Demon's Souls, both mechanically to encourage you to return to the Nexus regularly + system limitations, and thematically because she's the most powerful Demon of all and is using soul arts of the Old One to empower you to challenge its minions, knowing she'll have to go down with it. Like the "souls" currency in general though they kind of went "whatever, it just works like that" in the subsequent games. Anastacia being under Firelink feels like they were a step away from having a level up waifu there, but decided to change it for some reason.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

DS2 would be my favorite but Soul Memory, the lack of full Orbs, and the game's overall slow and gummy gamefeel just ruin it for me. If they remade it with unfucked online components and used the same animations/engine as the rest of the series, it'd be an instant game-of-all-time. Hopefully a decent remake is down the line after DS:R and DeS PS5, because hoo boy does it need it.

The animations for a lot of attacks in DS2 were a big step up from DS1 aesthetically and it really sucked that they went back on them in DS3. Thrusting animations in particular look really jerky, unnatural and stupid in the other games but look smooth, graceful and like they’re intended to hurt someone in DS2.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Anastacia being under Firelink feels like they were a step away from having a level up waifu there, but decided to change it for some reason.
There's some evidence that Priscilla was at some point intended to be DS1's Maiden in Black equivalent, interestingly enough.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

These games have a story?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

As someone who must explore every pathway, the fact that I have to leave behind a bunch of lockstone things and places with statue bodies in the way because the game hasn’t provided me the items for them is crushing my soul

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

As someone who must explore every pathway, the fact that I have to leave behind a bunch of lockstone things and places with statue bodies in the way because the game hasn’t provided me the items for them is crushing my soul

No one let this guy play a metroidvania.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

That stuff drives me nuts too. Since I'm guessing online is mostly dead by now (so no more constant Ratbro parties for lockstones), look up which locks matter. You should find plenty of branches but no harm in looking up their general locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
you should get enough Lockstones in normal play to open up whatever outside of the Ratbro areas

e: like I'm just past Drangleic Castle and have opened almost every contraption I've seen and I'm currently carrying 6.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 11, 2021