Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

"and then Trump will invoke the pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo clause

thanks for the mental image I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

kingturnip posted:

There was someone in the US Riot thread, talking about how the best way - in their opinion - to solve the problem of entrenched attitudes would be to expand the railway network, to make it easier for people to actually travel around. The rationale being that if you get out of your hometown regularly and meet a range of people with different experiences and lifeviews, that inherently expands your own frame of reference and undermines the sort of insular "gently caress those other guys" view that can form in small towns, where opinions get passed around like the same set of genes.

You're against this idea/thought?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Niric posted:

Most Scottish people don't want to get rid of the monarchy either.

This post is a pretty good example of people making sweeping claims about Scotland (in this case, "is anti monarchy") to support their argument without bothering to check if it holds up. Like you could've said "England is more pro monarchy than Scotland" and it would've been true, but you didn't because you didn't think to check. These kind of sweeping claims that Scotland believes X to prove Scottish moral superiority are something I see a lot of with my scot nat friends

About that cherry picking. Also the Scottish are far from being good about it but honestly neither is anyone else at all. The English are exceptionally bad about it though. Genetics? gently caress no, it's that education system you got. Also media. And government. Really they're all the same problem.

CoolCab posted:

i am personally infinitely forgiving and generally used to prefer to debunk or ridicule silly nationalist arguments. i don't dislike posters, generally, even if i dislike their ideologies, or elements of them. i think right now - humans are social animals and that element of our nature is denied to us and as such it is difficult for us to thrive in these circumstances, we're all sort of getting by and coping the best we can.

Heh this has been a constant problem with this thread from the Brexit vote. Ain't got nothing to do with the pandemic.

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe we should all put aside our differences and agree that the worst loving people are liberal southern fubpees who have started going on about how they're going to move to Scotland and make Scotland independent so that they can rejoin the EU.

Like it's somehow the worst combination of "and then Trump will invoke the pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo clause of the 69th Amendment which will allow Ben Garrison to take command of the Space Force and expose the Dominos pizza machine fraud and this is how he wins in 2021" people and the "as long as I get to go to France on my jollybibs I don't care what the proles actually want" people.

Eh. They're doing what's best for them as individuals. Also they're probably not hurting children and/or refugees, which, y'know. Not the worst people.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah, and if they made it explicit it's about the richest people in England they'd do slightly better in this thread. It's still not hard to read from context though, so that's on almost everyone else. And you're using "the Scots" the exact same way as they're using "the English". Intentional?

Most of the English don't want to get rid of the monarchy though, and 52% of Britain overall are irrationally racist, so it probably will result in the same response in most places though.

I don’t think their point is about the richest English though - it seems like a a wider net. I wasn’t using Scots in the same way (I’m not that thoughtful); the point was that if Scottish people are being held up as pure victims of English imperialism that doesn’t really hold water given how many Scots enthusiastically participated in British imperialism and the slave trade. Similarly a poster can’t hold up Scottish people as occupying the moral high ground vis-a-vis the English given their imperial history.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

endlessmonotony posted:

Heh this has been a constant problem with this thread from the Brexit vote. Ain't got nothing to do with the pandemic.

oh sorry no i meant people getting emotional a little quicker not whatever extremely valid, astute and existent thing you're talking about, guy who thinks calling guto bebb a star wars name is the same thing as blut und boden

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

Eh. They're doing what's best for them as individuals.
That's what got us into most of this mess in the first place, "there's no such thing as society" and the inability to think past one's own nose.

endlessmonotony posted:

Also they're probably not hurting children and/or refugees, which, y'know. Not the worst people.
Yes, they're not Prince Andrew or Golden Dawn, but they also do nothing to combat the systems that create Prince Andrew or Golden Dawn, and actively resist anything that might make things better in exchange for fantasy.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

therattle posted:

I don’t think their point is about the richest English though - it seems like a a wider net. I wasn’t using Scots in the same way (I’m not that thoughtful); the point was that if Scottish people are being held up as pure victims of English imperialism that doesn’t really hold water given how many Scots enthusiastically participated in British imperialism and the slave trade. Similarly a poster can’t hold up Scottish people as occupying the moral high ground vis-a-vis the English given their imperial history.

There's going to be a big chunk of people just going along with whatever the society around them appears to find normal, and the rich have a massive hand in shaping that. A lot of people get stuck in their roles and then there's reactance since admitting they were upholding plain lovely ideals for so long is seriously hard.

But you are using "the Scots" the exact way Ash is using "the English", even if you didn't mean to. Maybe ponder that.

CoolCab posted:

oh sorry no i meant people getting emotional a little quicker not whatever extremely valid, astute and existent thing you're talking about, guy who thinks calling guto bebb a star wars name is the same thing as blut und boden

Keep doubling down on racism about "funny" foreign names, I'm sure it'll be a good point any day now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

That's what got us into most of this mess in the first place, "there's no such thing as society" and the inability to think past one's own nose.

Yes, they're not Prince Andrew or Golden Dawn, but they also do nothing to combat the systems that create Prince Andrew or Golden Dawn, and actively resist anything that might make things better in exchange for fantasy.

I'd be willing to compromise on "they're bad", "worst" is a few steps too far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
We're doomed

https://twitter.com/JournoJane/status/1347664977461706754?s=19

Interesting stuff in the replies too

https://twitter.com/Fudgel11/status/1347835123299987456?s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

endlessmonotony posted:

Keep doubling down on racism about "funny" foreign names, I'm sure it'll be a good point any day now.

to be completely honest with you even at the time i found comparing an amusing linguistic coincidence - the kind that happens all the time and is part of our rich human condition - to literal nazi ideology to be extremely offensive, which is probably why it stuck with me to be honest? you know, you get called a blood and soil fascist and you remember it?

e: sorry, for calling guto bebb a star wars name, let me be clear

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

CoolCab posted:

man do you remember that time endlessmonotony declared me a blood and soil fascist for saying guto bebb is a star wars name

I don't think you're a fascist at all but honestly your post taking the piss out of Guto Bebb's name is honestly something my mind goes to everytime this thread talks about nationalism, because it is such a perfect example of ingrained english chauvinism .

e: it is partially because I have a very Welsh name and English people often assume I'm "foreign"

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Am I still OK to laugh at US Senator Mike Crapo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I don't think you're a fascist at all but honestly your post taking the piss out of Guto Bebb's name is honestly something my mind goes to everytime this thread talks about nationalism, because it is such a perfect example of ingrained english chauvinism .

e: it is partially because I have a very Welsh name and English people often assume I'm "foreign"

i mean please finish "blood and soil fascist" when you say "i don't think your a fascist"- i feel like abbreviating it kind of reduces the absurdity of it? like, i'm here pointing out - with no negative connotation whatsoever, just observing the coincidence - and your compromise is i don't think you're a fascist.

i mean hell we could probably even investigate - star wars was shot in the UK, maybe lucas's writing was influenced by the welsh language he picked up somewhere? it's not impossible - perhaps you could find some linguistic connection? there are so many ways we can look at this thing instead of forcing it into this hyper defensive nationalist framework and yet, instead, i'm a blood and soil fascist.

you know actually in hindsight i'm kind of more annoyed at that than i thought.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

CoolCab posted:

to be completely honest with you even at the time i found comparing an amusing linguistic coincidence - the kind that happens all the time and is part of our rich human condition - to literal nazi ideology to be extremely offensive, which is probably why it stuck with me to be honest? you know, you get called a blood and soil fascist and you remember it?

e: sorry, for calling guto bebb a star wars name, let me be clear

Oh ho, you're learning. Now if you figure out why I find it so offensive, you'll be well on your way to being as good a poster as therattle.

I'm not sure if I called you a fascist or not, but the real meaning of it was "you're being shockingly racist", so I can't in good conscience say I'm sorry about it.

Man, props to therattle, he started out real bad a poster but he's clearly demonstrated being capable of questioning his beliefs and learning. Learning at a clearly better than average pace too. Top tip for therattle: Never believe everything you think or anything I say.

I was questioning my use of "foreign" but when you make fun of someone's name like that, you clearly perceive it as foreign and don't see the problem in making fun of names that sound foreign to you. Wasn't meant to call Guto Bebb or you "foreign", sorry if it came across that way.

CoolCab posted:

i mean please finish "blood and soil fascist" when you say "i don't think your a fascist"- i feel like abbreviating it kind of reduces the absurdity of it? like, i'm here pointing out - with no negative connotation whatsoever, just observing the coincidence - and your compromise is i don't think you're a fascist.

i mean hell we could probably even investigate - star wars was shot in the UK, maybe lucas's writing was influenced by the welsh language he picked up somewhere? it's not impossible - perhaps you could find some linguistic connection? there are so many ways we can look at this thing instead of forcing it into this hyper defensive nationalist framework and yet, instead, i'm a blood and soil fascist.

Oh well there you go again I'm glad I didn't say I'm sorry.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
oh no i might not make it into endlessmonotony's good posting school lmao

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If everyone has funny names does that make boring names the actual funny names?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

CoolCab posted:

Man I'm glad you took the fact that I've never called you a fascist to double down on the fact that you think my culture us alien and comically weird.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Welsh is a terrible language

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

I'd be willing to compromise on "they're bad", "worst" is a few steps too far.
Okay, they're better than child molesters, white supremacist militias, the Europeans (Brits included) who laugh at people dying in the Mediterranean, and this thread today, but worse than Brexit voters who believed the lies and people who think Trump could still win but don't do anything about it.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Man I'm glad you took the fact that I've never called you a fascist to double down on the fact that you think my culture us alien and comically weird.

quite often when people came to dildo in my childhood and took pictures with the sign i felt the deep sting of my culture being ravaged. but it means a boat part, i think in vain to their cruel smirks and novelty inflatable gift shop purchases.

i'm sorry, i'm not annoyed at you bud. i don't think you're weird, comical or anything else and i have absolutely no intent on commenting on wales in any way. i think one of your mps happens to have a combination of names that is eerily similar to those used in the star wars universe and that's not an attack or a critique or a mocking statement it's just an amusing coincidence and that's it. and the kind of reactions i get - again, compared to actual, literal nazis for this is odd. and frankly, both offensive and quite rude.

which is why i don't mind bringing it up when people might accidentally be assigning credibility to endlessmonotony

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

so is there actually a more transmissible covid variant or not

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
You know what is endlessmonotony? The last 3 pages of this thread.

E: ^^^^^ yes there is

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jakabite posted:

E: ^^^^^ yes there is

It's my own joke I shouldn't keep finding it funny!

But I've got nothing interesting left to say on the subject.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jakabite posted:

don't worry with just three easy lessons in endlessmonotony's patented good posting school you too can be a posting superstar like whoever the rattler is! learn incredible lessons like "it's definitely moral, tasteful AND dignified to repeatedly accuse people of being devout nazis for star wars name crimes"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/peterjukes/status/1347884365515206661?s=19

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

in what way is the new virus more transmissible? would it be too paranoid to go back to washing all your shopping

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

CoolCab posted:

don't worry with just three easy lessons in endlessmonotony's patented good posting school you too can be a posting superstar like whoever the rattler is! learn incredible lessons like "it's definitely moral, tasteful AND dignified to repeatedly accuse people of being devout nazis for star wars name crimes"

you loving suck

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dabir posted:

in what way is the new virus more transmissible? would it be too paranoid to go back to washing all your shopping

Mostly it's just better at traveling through exhaled air. So avoid unmasked people like the plague.

Washing all your shopping is slightly excessive. Though if you do, remember the thing can't stand being over 70C internal temperature or any encounters with soap.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

Preliminary studies indicate that its not a structural change in the virus, just that viral load in the upper nasopharyngeal tract can be 100x higher, so you're pumping out way more virions into the world.

Washing your shopping? Eh, I wouldn't bother personally, but washing your hands is still sensible (not to mention would be gross not to, pandemic notwithstanding)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

CoolCab posted:

Hey CoolCab if anyone else was telling you your behaviour was demeaning and culturally insensitive would you just crack on with it, out might you reflect on the fact you're being lovely and potentially racist?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dabir posted:

man i hope not, i finally stopped doing that after finding out the old variant probably wasn't transmitting that way. expensive as hell in paper towels.

Lt. Danger posted:

you loving suck

mate, i took, and take, a great deal of offence to being called a nazi, i don't think that's unreasonable. with that said it's the kind of offence i like to hold on to and display, because the absolute absurdity of it is very funny.

e:

Hey CoolCab if anyone else was telling you your behaviour was demeaning and culturally insensitive would you just crack on with it, out might you reflect on the fact you're being lovely and potentially racist?

saying guto bebb is a star wars name is demeaning and culturally insensitive and not...just an observation of a coincidence?. also, calling someone a blood and soil fascist and refusing to apologize for it, i presume, is not demeaning nor culturally insensitive, given it seems to not be your focus here? i'm just trying to get this clear.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 9, 2021

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

things I have read in this thread, in no particular order
  • #notallmen
  • why are you mad it was just a joke
  • accusing me of racism is the real crime
  • you didn't use the correct words, your feelings are invalid

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CoolCab posted:

It’s me! I’d be happy to give you some tips: PM me.

We’re still washing our shopping because we are a bit paranoid. Then again, my FIL died from it in April and my son has Down’s and diabetes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the news was making waaaaaaaaaaaay too big of a deal about a bin man playing in an FA cup match lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I also liked
"admitting you don't know statistics is bad faith"
And
"I hate all nationalism which is why I'm furious someone said Scotland should escape, were all BRITISH that's Solidarity!"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lt. Danger posted:

• #notallmen

calling someone a blood and soil fascist, can we try and type the whole thing out? cause like, cutting it down to "accusing me of racism" i'm finding kind of reductive. you know, a friend tries to order chinese and uses a lovely term, thats racist, and we address that. to contrast, blood and soil fascism is a nationalist slogan expressing Nazi Germany's ideal of a "racially" defined national body ("blood") united with a settlement area ("soil") and is deeply associated with a number of genocides- it's a little bit more complex you know?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lt. Danger posted:

• #notallmen

The way that first one is used is just plain impressive.

Especially since it's true that the media are using English nationalism as a cudgel so anyone who rejects English nationalism is easier to persuade to go against those entrenched interests.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

CoolCab posted:

saying guto bebb is a star wars name is demeaning and culturally insensitive and not...just an observation of a coincidence?. also, calling someone a blood and soil fascist and refusing to apologize for it, i presume, is not demeaning nor culturally insensitive, given it seems to not be your focus here? i'm just trying to get this clear.

I literally never called you a fascist, to the extent that I explicitly said I didn't think you were a fascist. You seem to have just assumed all Welsh posters have some sort of give mind and we've decided you're a Nazi. I just think you are a dick who is unwilling to admit you are making an offensive jibe about an entire culture.

You seem like one of those "my free speech" dickheads who don't like the fact they are being called out on their offensive jokes.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no, i think i am pretty explicitly talking about the time endlessmonotony called me a blood and soil fascist for calling guto bebb a star wars name and not uh, assumed something about welsh posters and something something?

i'm being critical of you for excusing that, pal, sure, but really what i want to stress is this absolutely bonkers thing that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
now i am an english nationalist lmao oh yeah i am huuuuuuge on nationalism, ask around