Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

I also liked
"admitting you don't know statistics is bad faith"
And
"I hate all nationalism which is why I'm furious someone said Scotland should escape, were all BRITISH that's Solidarity!"

Maybe I'm just too broken as a human being but the idea that you can distinguish the "good ones" from a voting pool that's in the millions makes my brain do a double take because I don't know if I can accurately process such information without being overwhelmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ash Crimson posted:

Maybe I'm just too broken as a human being but the idea that you can distinguish the "good ones" from a voting pool that's in the millions makes my brain do a double take because I don't know if I can accurately process such information without being overwhelmed

Just add #notallenglish to your posts when you're at all uncertain. Or just whenever, why not.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

CoolCab posted:

calling someone a blood and soil fascist, can we try and type the whole thing out? cause like, cutting it down to "accusing me of racism" i'm finding kind of reductive. you know, a friend tries to order chinese and uses a lovely term, thats racist, and we address that. to contrast, blood and soil fascism is a nationalist slogan expressing Nazi Germany's ideal of a "racially" defined national body ("blood") united with a settlement area ("soil") and is deeply associated with a number of genocides- it's a little bit more complex you know?

so strictly speaking the NSDAP went defunct in 1945, thus describing you as a blood and soil fascist is technically incorrect. however I imagine from context the purpose of the post was not to accurately describe your political party affiliation

I think it would be useful to consider why someone has said this rather than simply identifying it as factually, literally inaccurate. you may have already received some clues for this

in fairness this also applies to other posters in this thread arguing that "the english" is not sufficiently exact to allow complaint

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

if you lot are planning to spend all day building strawmen of each other can you do it somewhere more useful, like the middle of a field, a nice big one so nobody has to watch you do it

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

CoolCab posted:

no, i think i am pretty explicitly talking about the time endlessmonotony called me a blood and soil fascist for calling guto bebb a star wars name and not uh, assumed something about welsh posters and something something?

i'm being critical of you for excusing that, pal, sure, but really what i want to stress is this absolutely bonkers thing that happened.

I'm not going to apologise for what someone else apparently said as a quid quo pro to stop you taking the piss out of my culture.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lt. Danger posted:

so strictly speaking the NSDAP went defunct in 1945, thus describing you as a blood and soil fascist is technically incorrect. however I imagine from context the purpose of the post was not to accurately describe your political party affiliation

I think it would be useful to consider why someone has said this rather than simply identifying it as factually, literally inaccurate. you may have already received some clues for this

in fairness this also applies to other posters in this thread arguing that "the english" is not sufficiently exact to allow complaint

well actually because nazi germany fell it's entirely appropriate for me to accuse others of being nazis, subscribing to genocidal ideologies, etc. it's little known but their entire intellectual and political movement disappeared in a puff of smoke and it's totally, totally fine to compare something that lead to the holocaust because he compared a name to a star wars racistly.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dabir posted:

if you lot are planning to spend all day building strawmen of each other can you do it somewhere more useful, like the middle of a field, a nice big one so nobody has to watch you do it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm not going to apologise for what someone else apparently said as a quid quo pro to stop you taking the piss out of my culture.

you find "guto bebb is a star wars name" more offensive than "i accuse you of wanting to purge all undesirables from our land and all inferiors from our gene pool because you said guto bebb is a star wars name" and i don't think i could find a more succinct way of describing the innate problem with nationalism if i tried very hard

e: but i'm having funnnnnnn fine

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

that's a long way to go in defence of a not particularly good joke, Mr Davidson

Crayfish
May 7, 2009
It does sound a bit like a star wars character though

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can I still win the euromillions lottery?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Common Cornish name Babu Frik

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Crayfish posted:

my goodness it's incredible we allow such disgusting antisemetic nazi ideology here i thought this was a decent board FINE FINE I'LL STOP FOR REAL

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

that's a long way to go in defence of a not particularly good joke, Mr Davidson

CoolCab please read this post a couple of times and understand that I object to you obsession with defending your right to the "foreign people have weird names" school of 1970s comedy.

And for the fourth or fifth time I don't think you're a nazi. I just think you're being a twat.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

CoolCab please read this post a couple of times and understand that I object to you obsession with defending your right to the "foreign people have weird names" school of 1970s comedy.

And for the fourth or fifth time I don't think you're a nazi. I just think you're being a twat.

You guys should definitely spend the next couple of pages talking past each other and not reading each others posts.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Wolfsbane posted:

You guys should definitely spend the next couple of pages talking past each other and not reading each others posts.

oh, i read everyone pal, if you didn't you might miss some extremely funny ones.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Whilst I feel I'd have disagreements with Guto Bebb politically (especially wrt his views on use of Force) I have nothing but the greatest respect for the man and his culture. His story just goes to show that anyone can find success in Britain, even if you came here a long time ago from a galaxy far, far away.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

there, it's me, I'm doing it, get mad at something that's actually happening for once

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://starwarsintrocreator.kassellabs.io/?ref=redirect#!/BM0OkipgbeBNfcONKihf

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What percentage of a thread's posters do you have on ignore before you wash your hands of the whole burning pile of garbage altogether. You know, hypothetically speaking.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
who in the gently caress is guto bebb

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tory MP. Possibly not any more?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crayfish posted:

It absolutely does. It's funny, thinking it's funny doesn't make you want to join the Third Reich.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

there's a tory mp called loving bill cash

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i thought deed poll rules prohibited swears in names

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
I admit that my initial response to Guto Bebb is 'lol that's a Star Wars name'. But as leftists surely the good thing to do is listen when members of a minority culture that's poo poo on and and mocked to this very day say 'hey it's kinda lovely when you mock us like that'.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
these days, if you say you're english, you get locked up and thrown in jail

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Crameltonian posted:

I admit that my initial response to Guto Bebb is 'lol that's a Star Wars name'. But as leftists surely the good thing to do is listen when members of a minority culture that's poo poo on and and mocked to this very day say 'hey it's kinda lovely when you mock us like that'.

It's not mocking the Welsh, it's mocking one particular combination of Welsh names. I'll listen to someone making the case why it's lovely but that doesn't automatically mean I'll agree with it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It absolutely does. It's funny, thinking it's funny doesn't make you want to join the Third Reich.

So what's the solution? Sounds like Welsh people change our names so that English people stop laughing at them?

This is definitely not a thing with historical prescendent amongst other nations the English have ruled.

Making fun of people from a minority culture for having weird names is the sort of thing this thread normally objects to do I really don't understand it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i think the name could come from any culture though and i really don't think it's an offensive observation to say it's reminiscent of a much loved space opera franchise

i mean you could take offense but you'll probably look a bit daft ;-)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I don't know as I said before I've been mocked for having a Welsh name so maybe I'm taking this too personally but I thought the general tenor of this thread was better than to accept that sort of lowest common denominator bullshit. Guess not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Sometimes I'm glad I've more or less left these threads

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If I can laugh at "smack barm pey wet" I can laugh at "Guto Bebb". Fortunately, this is hypothetical because I never laugh

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
"I'm not racist, I don't care if you're black or white or purple or orange!"

We all get that this is actually a racist statement because it conflates the real struggles of black people with 'haha lol imaginary space aliens with funny coloured skin that don't actually exist', right?

I dunno, just popped into my head.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Crameltonian posted:

it's a coincidence! languages do this sometimes! you can't control it, you can investigate it and wonder how it happened but it just did happen and all you can do is chuckle at it! it is not an attack on anyone, it has absolutely no national or cultural implications whatsoever - it has no negative connotation at all except what is being projected on to it. there is no stereotype of welsh people being jedi (???) and to stretch "well it has an alien implication" is almost as much of a stretch as comparing it directly to Lebensraum which also somehow happened good god how on earth is this real

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
We might have significantly more vaccine available than we thought. My guess is that it's cause the vaccine is packaged in five dose vials rather than single dose syringes. Only a small % of your product is allowed to have less than the stated contents so in practice manufacturers aim to overfill slightly, whether it's vaccine or cornflakes.
Source: A pal of mine volunteered for the vaccination programme. Their team got issued just less than 1000 doses and are very proud they managed to stick more than 1100 arms.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I don't know as I said before I've been mocked for having a Welsh name so maybe I'm taking this too personally but I thought the general tenor of this thread was better than to accept that sort of lowest common denominator bullshit. Guess not.

I think if the conversation had started from "hey, that's kind of lovely" rather than "you are literally a nazi for your anti-welsh racism, the most important of all racism" then we'd probably be in a better place. Or to put it another way, you should post more and endlessmonotony should lurk more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

So what's the solution? Sounds like Welsh people change our names so that English people stop laughing at them?

This is definitely not a thing with historical prescendent amongst other nations the English have ruled.

Making fun of people from a minority culture for having weird names is the sort of thing this thread normally objects to do I really don't understand it.

My name is Cameron. It's Gaelic for crooked nose. Go off king. Or any other traditional Scottish Gaelic name. I don't mind despite it being my background. I don't really think chuckling at a name demeans the language or the culture.

It's a really dumb thing to get offended by imo (And so is comparing the Welsh to other minorities in the country). It's not demeaning the Welsh language or history or culture, it's just, Guto Bebb sounds like he hangs out at the cantina in Mos Eisley. Maybe George Lucas was influenced by Welsh for some of his aliens? Hardly outside the bounds of possibility. It's not demeaning the language, it's a silly observation.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

CoolCab posted:

it's a coincidence! languages do this sometimes! you can't control it, you can investigate it and wonder how it happened but it just did happen and all you can do is chuckle at it! it is not an attack on anyone, it has absolutely no national or cultural implications whatsoever - it has no negative connotation at all except what is being projected on to it. there is no stereotype of welsh people being jedi (???) and to stretch "well it has an alien implication" is almost as much of a stretch as comparing it directly to Lebensraum which also somehow happened good god how on earth is this real

The problem is I'm old and Welsh and I've seen hundreds of these conversations.
We're like 2 posts away from Teh Welsh are not a race.
You're being a prick and it's tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Shyrka posted:

"I'm not racist, I don't care if you're black or white or purple or orange!"

We all get that this is actually a racist statement because it conflates the real struggles of black people with 'haha lol imaginary space aliens with funny coloured skin that don't actually exist', right?

I dunno, just popped into my head.

Keep going I wanna know where this ends up