Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

morestuff posted:

Does Newsmax have a sports section

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GP_K5czbny4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Got through 30 seconds of that, good to know I’m at least as funny as professional comedy writers but more efficient

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/1347971585773367298

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

Got through 30 seconds of that, good to know I’m at least as funny as professional comedy writers but more efficient
Late-night comedy has basically become the lowest-effort poo poo you could possibly imagine.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Today in great postgame quotes

https://twitter.com/priestas/status/1349026383549358082

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MMcCarthyREV/status/1349067647930032131

the article also says they're trying to get bonami to join

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Those are some good names but "Progressive response to Outkick" sounds like the MSNBC/Air America version of a sports network which seems doomed, and this is coming from someone who is pretty leftist. I hope they just let their people do their thing and not try hard to be a liberal voice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

Those are some good names but "Progressive response to Outkick" sounds like the MSNBC/Air America version of a sports network which seems doomed, and this is coming from someone who is pretty leftist. I hope they just let their people do their thing and not try hard to be a liberal voice.

None of them are like leftists. But my guess is that's just how that publication is phrasing it.

If you ask Dan and Co they'd probably saying they'd hire people who are smart talking about current events and what's going on without being forced to censor themselves or "find a sports angle". And not that they are actively trying to push a political agenda opposite of Outkick.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

This really just reads like a gang of people trying to figure out how fo return to 2013 by science or magic.

If I'm wrong and they do have a real market niche, it'll be when they pay college athletes directly using NIL to promote their brand.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gerund posted:

This really just reads like a gang of people trying to figure out how fo return to 2013 by science or magic.

If I'm wrong and they do have a real market niche, it'll be when they pay college athletes directly using NIL to promote their brand.

They aren't going to be making like ESPN money.

But they have an extremely popular podcast, Bomani's podcast is decently popular. Jemele has a podcast and show on Viceland.

They all have a more than healthy listenership and people who seek them out for content.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I think if they try to do a subscription service it might be a hard sell, but they could probably pull off a Ringer?

Can we just take the Ringer from Simmons and give it to them?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The playbook is basically start with an established name, get funding, build out the roster, sell out for megabucks which doesn't seem like it'd be that hard for them

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

None of them are like leftists. But my guess is that's just how that publication is phrasing it.

If you ask Dan and Co they'd probably saying they'd hire people who are smart talking about current events and what's going on without being forced to censor themselves or "find a sports angle". And not that they are actively trying to push a political agenda opposite of Outkick.

Based on who they hire it seems like you're right.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I wouldn’t call it leftist either (hi Defector, the one true option) but having LeBatard’s show, Jemele Hill, and possibly Bomani without explicit Stick To Sports restraints would be smart. It may not be leftist but it’d be on the right side of history, and if the LeBatard pirate ship is the anchor, they’ll get enough sponsors to make a start of it.

Now if they’d reach out to the Moon Crew and bring them in...

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Defector dot com hire Dan Le Batard and Bomani Jones and Jemele Hill and Katie Nolan and Mina Kimes and Jon Bois and Spencer Hall and have them all live in one big house and sometimes I'll visit the house so we can watch movies and play board games together challenge

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They’re just planning on being a sports outlet that doesn’t ignore the fact that most athletes are minorities. That’s clearly the crux of this whole thing.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

as much as I love Dan and the Show, i personally am not a fan of anything that gives a literal KHiver a large platform

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

as much as I love Dan and the Show, i personally am not a fan of anything that gives a literal KHiver a large platform

shrug, gonna be hard pressed to find someone in broadcasting who's not a liberal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Troy Queef posted:

khive’s only growing, it’s gonna get harder to ignore the grrl power coming from the white house for the next four years

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Dexo posted:

shrug, gonna be hard pressed to find someone in broadcasting who's not a liberal.

i'm aware of that, but there's also a sizable difference between being a liberal and being a Kamala Harris stan like Jemele's been for the past two or so years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean if is she’s hardcore she won’t last long as she will stab the first coworker who slanders the queen

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Troy Queef posted:

i'm aware of that, but there's also a sizable difference between being a liberal and being a Kamala Harris stan like Jemele's been for the past two or so years.

Not really, unless she's like actually done something surrounding Kamala that rises above her being a fan of her for the primary or whatever.

Not everyone is terminally online.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Holy poo poo, a middle-aged black woman is vocally happy that Kamala Harris is vice president?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it is important to remember how few people actually pay attention to twitter bullshit

my read on Bo is that he would not give up a comfortable ESPN gig for something uncertain but I could be wrong

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

it is important to remember how few people actually pay attention to twitter bullshit

my read on Bo is that he would not give up a comfortable ESPN gig for something uncertain but I could be wrong

Yea I’m with you there. Plus he just signed an extension so it’s not like he’ll be available soon anyway.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MourningView posted:

That’s mine too. I can see Katie Nolan possibly jumping over but that’s the only one that stands out to me.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

Had to google what the 'khive' was and I'm pretty online!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea I'm with you there. Plus he just signed an extension so it's not like he'll be available soon anyway.

tbf Dan and Stu only recently signed extensions as well. I think ESPN right now would love to continue to buy out talent from contracts

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

lol don't tell me you didn't just make up that word

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bip Roberts posted:

lol don't tell me you didn't just make up that word

It's been a things since the primary. She has the most deranged psycho fans online. But no sports media personality is on that level.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

That’s mine too. I can see Katie Nolan possibly jumping over but that’s the only one that stands out to me.

She just signed a new contract. Her podcast co-host got laid off, and Nolan basically said she would have quit if she hadn't just signed the contract.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's been a things since the primary. She has the most deranged psycho fans online. But no sports media personality is on that level.

Yeah there is a massive difference between someone liking Kamala and the khive. Khive is borderline unhinged

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
the awful announcing article about the new LeBatard thing mentions jamie horowitz as a possible pick to run the company and i would not hire the sexual harasser who tried to build multiple networks around skip bayless and colin cowherd to manage my supposedly smart and progress sports media company, personally

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

MourningView posted:

the awful announcing article about the new LeBatard thing mentions jamie horowitz as a possible pick to run the company and i would not hire the sexual harasser who tried to build multiple networks around skip bayless and colin cowherd to manage my supposedly smart and progress sports media company, personally

Well he wasn't fired for sexual harassment or installing Cowherd as a face of Fox Sports in 2013, the year it is obvious they are attempting to return to via either magic or science.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Spoeank posted:

Yeah there is a massive difference between someone liking Kamala and the khive. Khive is borderline unhinged

KHive unironically spent months saying if you support Bernie you're a white supremacist. Also Biden, until she became his running mate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was curious to see if they mentioned who else they were considering and hell I didn't even know Horowitz was currently working with Skipper

quote:

Then there’s the question of who might lead this venture and oversee its content. According to McCarthy, Skipper has three people in mind for the job, each of whom he previously worked with at ESPN.

Erik Rydholm was the executive producer of Le Batard’s Highly Questionable and the TV simulcast of his radio show. Connor Schell is in the process of leaving ESPN with eyes on launching his own production company. And Jamie Horowitz currently works with Skipper at DAZN following a high-profile dismissal from Fox Sports in which his infamous “pivot to video” initiative significantly set back that company’s digital content.

Potential talent aside, establishing itself as a sports media platform with a progressive view is certainly one way for this Le Batard-Skipper endeavor to stand out from the other content available on the website, podcast, and video landscapes.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The X-man cometh posted:

She just signed a new contract. Her podcast co-host got laid off, and Nolan basically said she would have quit if she hadn't just signed the contract.

Ashley got laid off?? :negative:

(I stopped listening when Jay left, sports were too depressing)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

I was curious to see if they mentioned who else they were considering and hell I didn't even know Horowitz was currently working with Skipper

...it's gotta be Rydholm, right? that's the top choice for the former ESPNers, has to be.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/FreeMassTransit/status/1349733615328890884

A window into the mindset of Beantown royalty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

woooooooooooof :stare: