Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

This 70 series FRP top Land Cruiser! It's tires are hilariously old, bad and cracked. Those get replaced tomorrow. While doing a more in-depth drive around the neighborhood after I changed the oil I was paying attention to the frankly sloppy steering. I also hit some washboard bumps at 5~ mph or so and had the whole truck shake quite violently. Bring it back home and poke at the steering. There is a large dead zone in the center, with some cool clunks if you wiggle the wheel steering wheel back and forth on the edges of said dead zone.

This thing is shot. Must be a common enough issue on 70s because there are plenty still available

The bushing that the steering rack ties into is kinda just gone which translates to wandering steering (as the dead zone kills your road feel in a significant gap in the middle) and, if washboard bumps are your thing, violent shaking as the rack gleefully plays in the dead zone. Should have this part next week and I'll see what it takes to replace END SUB-ASSY, STEERING RELAY ROD, RH.

Other issues include the front indicator lights not working. The bulbs inside both the right and left sets of these guys:

A single bulb being out, sure, fine, whatever. All four though? :thunk:
I check the fuse first, it's good. Checking the wiring is easy enough on the 70s so I pop the hood, yeah they are plugged in just fine. It's GOT to be the bulbs! Plus, now that I think about it, the indicator 'click' is much faster than it should be, indicating less load on the circuit than there should be. I take the housings apart and get the bulbs out. Each housing has two bulbs, one for the running lights and the other for the turn indicators.

That first bulb is supposed to be clear. The second bulb isn't supposed to have it's filament fused to the side of the glass of the bulb either. I'm puzzled. Then I notice the rating the filament-blown bulb shows. 12v :negative:

These JDM 70 series Land Cruisers are somewhat unique when it comes to other civilian vehicles of the era, and Land Cruisers in general. They have TWO batteries in their engine bay as seen here:

Which means this:

There are supposed to be 24v bulbs in those housings. No wonder the first bulb is now a black dwarf and the second bulb got hot enough to blow the filament off the posts and fuse tungsten to silica in one gloriously supernova bright burst of light and heat. I sigh, say "Ugh poo poo fine ok I'm ordering that steering rod relay job anyway let's just get some cool 24v bulbs thrown in the package" to nobody besides myself and go find the part numbers. I also look at the diagram for this specific HZ Cruiser.

That's not the socket I have in my Cruiser. It's the one that SHOULD be there, and while the larger bulb is correct the little peanut bulb isn't right at all. Ok what the gently caress why is there obviously 70 series wiring in these housings, but it's somehow wrong? I look some more.

This is the set I have in my Cruiser. The problem is this is from the 1999-2004 run of JDM 70 series Land Cruisers which switched to a 12v bulb setup and thus 12v bulbs and not the 24v set that SHOULD be in there. The previous owner, or the previous flipper as it's becoming apparent, went through all the effort of getting an aftermarket set of front indicators for this truck but wasn't aware of the 24v thing even though the Cruiser screams at you everywhere that it's 24v and don't gently caress around and is a pretty significant hallmark, got the bulbs, plugged it in, saw and old-timey camera flash from each when they indicated, and sent it to auction.
:blastu:

Rather than spend the $300~ bucks to get used indicators just to get access to the wiring harnesses so I can use the correct bulbs I, after much help on the AI discord, am just spending 20 bucks for some LED 24V motorhome lights to see if those work. As these aren't headlights it should be fine. If they don't, I'll bite the bullet and import used indicators.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I think you'll be fine with the LEDs, particularly in the T10/194 wedge-base bulb, since it should just be a running light. I would recommend buying orange/amber ones, though, since the white LEDs tend to still be mostly white through colored lenses. Or are the T10s supposed to be city lights (and therefore *should* be white), since that part of the light assembly is clear?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

I think you'll be fine with the LEDs, particularly in the T10/194 wedge-base bulb, since it should just be a running light. I would recommend buying orange/amber ones, though, since the white LEDs tend to still be mostly white through colored lenses. Or are the T10s supposed to be city lights (and therefore *should* be white), since that part of the light assembly is clear?

Clear is what they are supposed to be, yeah.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KakerMix posted:

Rather than spend the $300~ bucks to get used indicators just to get access to the wiring harnesses so I can use the correct bulbs I, after much help on the AI discord, am just spending 20 bucks for some LED 24V motorhome lights to see if those work. As these aren't headlights it should be fine. If they don't, I'll bite the bullet and import used indicators.

Amazon package arrived, they work perfectly :toot:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
LED LIGHT UPGRADE PACKAGE L@@K

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

KakerMix posted:

Amazon package arrived, they work perfectly :toot:

I can only get so erect. Unf, that looks so good.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
welp

Looked great at auction and looks even better at the docks. It's exceptionally clean.
Exterior-wise the only thing I can see is the cargo-bar is bent back, and what looks like some damage on the back portion of the cab's roof which is probably directly related. Looking from the back, the inside right portion of the bed looks like it's had some shenanigans done with it's sealant along that edge. Looks a little sloppy for factory work by the wheel well. Otherwise look at that paint SHINE. I will need to repaint those wheels white though.

Interior wise is much the same, the only wear is the cracked vinyl on the side of the driver's side between the seat and the door, which is typical. The driver's side floor mat situation is a situation indeed. I *think* there are three mats there, a rubber one on top, a red one under that and the original fabric one (that probably says 'Hilux') under that. I've seen multiple mat things before and I can just make out the edge of (hopefully) the OEM one. You can see the same situation on the passenger and rear floors, mats on top of mats. Did you see the head unit though? Motherfuckin' WINDING ROAD DISP. PATTERN 13-BAND SPECTRUM ANALYZER IN 4-PATTERN DISPLAY :siren:

IF I were to keep it, I'd fix bent bar, take the front bull-bar and those fogs off and pop the running boards off as well.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 4, 2021

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
If you can’t just hammer and bend the bar back, it’s just box sections, you could get a replacement welded up for not much.

Those fogs will be rusted out inside for sure.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cut the bar off entirely, weld patches on, repaint that portion of the bed?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is the shiz I live for :)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Got my first dump truck delivered finally. A non-smoker, just amazing shape 4wd dump. I stole this one. Love it but this will be hitting BAT or C&B as soon as I detail it.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Just sent my deposit for my first import! I looked back at my email and realized I signed up for an account in 2017, so sent an email to Yoshi to get started.

Not looking for anything too exotic, a Subaru Sambar truck. Thing I'm most concerned about is rust, I don't want to jump on one too soon and get one with rust since I don't have experience with fixing it. Any other advice for looking at auction sheets or work trucks I'm all ears.

Since I've never worked with GWL, do I call and set up an "account" before hand, or is there enough time to call after I've found a vehicle and won the auction?

savesthedayrocks fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Since I've never worked with GWL, do I call and set up an "account" before hand, or is there enough time to call after I've found a vehicle and won the auction?

It's been, so, so long since I did all that, I'd ask Yoshi about it and see where he points you out. He (and Japan Car Direct) won't work with them directly at all as you'll do that, but a good idea to get it all set up as much as possible before you take the plunge. There should be enough time to do this after you buy a Sambar but it's better to have less unknowns going in before you're on the hook.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

If you can’t just hammer and bend the bar back, it’s just box sections, you could get a replacement welded up for not much.

Those fogs will be rusted out inside for sure.

We just kinda assume body work will be done, maybe some bending back of the front of the bed the bars are attached too as it's most certainly bent at least a little bit. Probably will have to get replacement portions made but who knows, let the body shop handle it.

Rhyno posted:

Cut the bar off entirely, weld patches on, repaint that portion of the bed?

You are outta your MIND son :colbert:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Weird how that Hilux looks basically brand new, but the extra lights look like they've spent 10 years in the ocean.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Weird how that Hilux looks basically brand new, but the extra lights look like they've spent 10 years in the ocean.

Holding water and being made out of lesser materials (lol 80s Toyota steel lol) is usually what does it. We've seen it on a few fog lights like this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Wait, those are factory fogs? I figured they were aftermarket.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

STR posted:

Wait, those are factory fogs? I figured they were aftermarket.

I meant more that they have probably been on the truck since new, and was making a joke about how the lights being made out of lesser materials when Toyotas of this vintage rust like a motherfucker with being Toyota steel.

The only factory part, in a casual search, is the lower valance allowing for that bullbar:

The lower left portion there is installed on the truck giving clearance for the mounting of the bar itself with the two notches on the bottom, though the actual bar and lights aren't listed. I'm assuming installed at the dealer when new.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
I had a JDM 2000 Nissan Terrano, not a spec of rust anywhere but the aftermarket lights were totally rusted out internally. Didn’t even bother trying to fix them, just replaced with an LED light bar.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Just sent my deposit for my first import! I looked back at my email and realized I signed up for an account in 2017, so sent an email to Yoshi to get started.

Not looking for anything too exotic, a Subaru Sambar truck. Thing I'm most concerned about is rust, I don't want to jump on one too soon and get one with rust since I don't have experience with fixing it. Any other advice for looking at auction sheets or work trucks I'm all ears.

Anything you do before will make your life easier after. I think I have a truck coming on that auto liner bc Hoegh wouldn’t take it.but again everything is on agricultural hold at Savannah. Do epa and dot forms for your broker. Make sure an ISF is filed before it sails. Anyone here would be happy to help with advice

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Anything you do before will make your life easier after. I think I have a truck coming on that auto liner bc Hoegh wouldn’t take it.but again everything is on agricultural hold at Savannah. Do epa and dot forms for your broker. Make sure an ISF is filed before it sails. Anyone here would be happy to help with advice

GWL is Great World Logistics, they are the import brokers. Though they didn't say, I assume their Sambar will come over on Hoegh like normal.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KakerMix posted:

Holding water and being made out of lesser materials (lol 80s Toyota steel lol) is usually what does it. We've seen it on a few fog lights like this.

There are lesser materials than 80s Toyota steel. 70s Toyota steel being a famous example.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Now that it’s January of 2021, how close do you cut looking at 1996 vehicles? Do you include 96 in your search term?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Now that it’s January of 2021, how close do you cut looking at 1996 vehicles? Do you include 96 in your search term?

Yes it has to be month of manufacture. I scored crazy deals last year searching 96 often they are wrong you can do a vin search. But I also have cars in Japan that can’t be shipped yet you have 70 days then you just pay extra it is not much

If you are buying one car don’t worry it can’t arrive in America until it’s 25 years old. I had 5 cars on hold bc the Japanese title list date of first reg not build date. I got it sorted but that was hell. Customs is crazy now.

everdave fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 11, 2021

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've been out of the game for a bit due to spending most of my summer camping (only way I could feel normal during COVID, plus being outside rules) and then a bunch of family BS this winter, but what do you mean about customs being crazy? Ag holds? More than that?

Was going to start looking at cars again this summer. And I wonder if customs being hell applies evenly, or if Long Beach is still the "chill, who cares what you do" port.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I've been out of the game for a bit due to spending most of my summer camping (only way I could feel normal during COVID, plus being outside rules) and then a bunch of family BS this winter, but what do you mean about customs being crazy? Ag holds? More than that?

Was going to start looking at cars again this summer. And I wonder if customs being hell applies evenly, or if Long Beach is still the "chill, who cares what you do" port.

I haven't had any issues of any kind with customs, my experiences do not match everdave's in the least. Even with vehicles on the same boat. I'm either just before or just after his port stop as well, Jacksonville is really close to Savannah.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes it’s crazy and Savannah used to be lax port. Apparently a new customs guy they were holding all keis but I cave a Caldina wagon it’s been days still on ag hold. I pay people for this I’m sick of dealing with it. They can handle it or not I don’t care anymore.

I had an Atrai turbo ship out to New Hampshire it took them 3+ hours to get it loaded. I specifically told the shipping company the dimensions and do not bring a 3 car hauler. Well what did they bring? This van is 4.5 feet wide. I had to give them a 12 foot long 6x6 fence post after an hour or two I just said good luck I’m not signing anything. It apparently made it there

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

A little before and after. Just the wheels, Pajero is still dirty as gently caress. I am now convinced that white wheels with white letter knobby tires are going to look good on any truck or SUV, probably even car. I don't think there is a situation where it isn't a good idea.

If you are curious how the wheels get white it's always the same procedure:

Start with trash like this and do a ton of prep. Chemical peels, wire wheels, bead blasting and always finish with a degreaser. Maybe you don't do all of the other prep, but always the degreaser. Purple ZEP works pretty well. These wheels specifically had the center portion clear coated which had long been penetrated by whatever the hell corrodes aluminum. Did some Aircraft Remover to bubble that up, rinse off, then Aluminum Brightener in hopes to bring the aluminum back, but the corrosion had permanently marred the aluminum. Then it was wire wheels to get the surface smooth, degreaser dunk then spray paint it with white appliance paint. Specifically the Rust-Oleum brand, the Kyrlon never wants to bond no matter how much prep I do. This time I was replacing the tires so I just sprayed the wheels while still in the tires, I don't give a gently caress.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know some of the deicing solution they use around here is said to be more corrosive to aluminum.
At least that's what they said a long time ago, not sure if they did more research, but figured it's possible.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Charles posted:

I know some of the deicing solution they use around here is said to be more corrosive to aluminum.
At least that's what they said a long time ago, not sure if they did more research, but figured it's possible.

It's the Chlorides and Sulfur compounds. Aluminum actually corrodes very easily; so easily that the top layer of aluminum becomes a very thin passivation layer of oxide that protects the metal beneath. But chlorides and sulfur compounds attack that passivation layer, allowing more and more corrosion. Chlorides are in road salt and sulfur is in car emissions, so....

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

A little before and after. Just the wheels, Pajero is still dirty as gently caress. I am now convinced that white wheels with white letter knobby tires are going to look good on any truck or SUV, probably even car. I don't think there is a situation where it isn't a good idea.

If you are curious how the wheels get white it's always the same procedure:

Start with trash like this and do a ton of prep. Chemical peels, wire wheels, bead blasting and always finish with a degreaser. Maybe you don't do all of the other prep, but always the degreaser. Purple ZEP works pretty well. These wheels specifically had the center portion clear coated which had long been penetrated by whatever the hell corrodes aluminum. Did some Aircraft Remover to bubble that up, rinse off, then Aluminum Brightener in hopes to bring the aluminum back, but the corrosion had permanently marred the aluminum. Then it was wire wheels to get the surface smooth, degreaser dunk then spray paint it with white appliance paint. Specifically the Rust-Oleum brand, the Kyrlon never wants to bond no matter how much prep I do. This time I was replacing the tires so I just sprayed the wheels while still in the tires, I don't give a gently caress.

I love those wheels. It's a pity the aluminum wasn't good enough to leave unfinished without a lot of work, but they look good in white.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, one owner, seats worn, steering wheel worn, undercarriage surface rust and paint, other dents scratches paint waves

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires at 60% ok, spare cover locked, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats faded, dashboard ok, ceiling liner small stains and scratches, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, lights ok, windows ok, mirrors ok, power steering ok, wipers ok, rear window ok

1996 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 SSR-X wide body, one owner 4WD third-gen 4Runner with the glorious 3 liter turbo diesel KZ engine wearing "desert dune metallic" paint and having gone only 63,400 km, under 40,000k miles. 5 speed manual and completely and utterly original. Original wheels, spare tire cover, rear window film (!) stereo head unit, center caps for the wheels, heck even the cool as hell rainbow floor mats. Seems like the previous owner checked a lot of boxes at the dealer as it also has that luggage rack up top and the front lip + bullbar. Being a third gen means this is larger than the previous 4Runners/Hilux Surfs and you get things like dual airbags up front. It's just a really nice 4Runner with the correct engine and transmission plus a bunch of other goodies and laugh out loud low mileage. :toot:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very, very nice Surf!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Wow, that is sweet.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After a few years I finally bid on a Kei truck!

https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-4VLvGqBmOacoXk.htm

Auction house sheet:

quote:

5mt, small chips in windshield, interior worn dirty scratches and tears, cargo area dents scratches surface rust, mirrors scratched, undercarriage surface rust, other dents scratches paint faded

Inspection:

quote:

324- engine starts idles and revs fine, very slight valve train noise, no oil leaks, tires at 70% no cracks, spare ok, cargo area slight surface rust only, undercarriage slight surface rust only, boots ok, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, drivers seat door side 20cm tear x 1 3cm tear x2, passenger seat ok, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok

Wasn't thrilled with the seat rips, but everything else was what I wanted. Super excited to have a blue Kei truck. I've been keeping a running log of fees, and would be happy to share once everything settles.

Anyone that has recommendations for car transport in the Pacific North West I'm all ears.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love that color, nice!

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

You have excellent taste fellow blue kei truck goon.
The HA4 is a great little truck. Bay Blue ones in good shape are getting harder to come by.

Here's mine:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Nice! Those are Supra wheels, no?

Beanzor
Feb 4, 2005

We dropped turkeys out of planes just to fill up the sky.

And we know damn well that they can't fly.

savesthedayrocks posted:

Nice! Those are Supra wheels, no?
They're from a slightly more modern Honda kei car, the Honda Zest Spark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:c00l:

Toyota rack