Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

kingturnip posted:

Someone else already pointed it out, but that's a lovely attitude to have.
First of all, if your unit has been mostly turned into a Covid ITU, presumably you're wearing effective PPE most of the time so your exposure to Covid during your work shift is going to be limited. There are going to be a lot of staff in patient-facing roles that are at much higher risk of catching Covid than you are.
Secondly, "hurr durr Admin morons" is probably complete bullshit. HR - if they're anything like the Trust I work for - are likely flat-out trying to cover their regular workload as well as sorting out redeployment requests and a range of payroll stuff related to that. I doubt they're first in line for anything. If your Trust is under serious pressure, there probably aren't many admin staff supporting non-essential operations at the moment.
Thirdly, if ward staff are so stretched for time that they can't check their emails, how are they going to find the time to walk to wherever the vaccinations are taking place, queue up for a vaccine and then wait 15 minutes afterwards to check they have no adverse effects? I just checked my work email on my phone; it took less than 30 seconds.

Presumably, if take-up among ward staff is poo poo after a few weeks, someone will notice and try to make arrangements. If not, I'm sure you can send a passive-aggressive email to someone to let them know.

I was also informed that staff who are working from home are travelling to the hospital to have a vaccination.

I don't think it's a lovely attitude to think that vaccinating the people staffing ventilated covid beds before office staff is a good idea. No PPE is perfect, and staff working clinically in a covid AGP producing environment should be the priority.

We haven't got a few weeks. We are expecting the surge next week.

I can also tell you have never donned full PPE before- you always put your phone in the clean area. Staff wearing full PPE do not have access to mobile phones.

Dogatron fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dogatron posted:

I was also informed that staff who are working from home are travelling to the hospital to have a vaccination.

I don't think it's a lovely attitude to think that vaccinating the people staffing ventilated covid beds before office staff is a good idea. No PPE is perfect, and staff working clinically in a covid AGP producing environment should be the priority.

We haven't got a few weeks. We are expecting the surge next week.

I believe most staff are contractually obliged to check your emails since that's how the trust will communicate with you.

Even if the trust prioritised frontliners, if your hypothetical frontliner was too busy to check their emails then even a priority invite would be missed.

My trust opened to frontliners and high risk (comorbs) staff last week and all other staff next week. Everyone will have their vax by the end of next week.

The best way would have been to wheel a trolley into the various wards and just jab people in the corridor or coffee room.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Z the IVth posted:

The best way would have been to wheel a trolley into the various wards and just jab people in the corridor or coffee room.

This, but do it twice a day for as many days as it takes and also very early in the morning to catch the night staff.

Vaccinating a 25 year old who works in Media Communications for a NHS trust is hardly a priority.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

I believe most staff are contractually obliged to check your emails since that's how the trust will communicate with you.
I think his point was that someone sat in front of their computer for a 7 hour shift is going to be far more likely to fill in a web form than someone who's on a 10 hour shift whos phone is in another room.

And also that perhaps there's something wrong with that when one of them is directly in contact with people who are definitely infected.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Isn't it the job of the NHS person sitting in front of the computer... to sign up the NHS person doing actual health stuff for the jab?

Otherwise what are they even for?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

https://twitter.com/bfawu1/status/1347976566043791361

could be a big deal.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Presumably if staff are that keen to get the vaccine, they can check their emails before/after their shift.
I'm not saying that the logistics of making sure all staff get the vaccine are going to be perfect but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect staff to check their emails.
When I got mine this week, there were a bunch of ward staff either queuing up, or who were waiting out their 15 minutes.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

Dogatron posted:

This, but do it twice a day for as many days as it takes and also very early in the morning to catch the night staff.

Vaccinating a 25 year old who works in Media Communications for a NHS trust is hardly a priority.

What if the 25 year old who works in media communications has underlying health isssues, lives with someone who does or lives with an elderly relative?

Does that still make them a low priority to you?

Edit: in the time it took you to post about being to busy to check your emails, couldn't you have instead checked your emails and got the vaccine in front of those less worthy than yourself?

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 9, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Is this why Kieth has farted out a handful of yay unions tweets in the past couple of days?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Financially and politically it's a drop in the ocean compared to the big unions, but symbolically, losing one of the original founding unions of both the TUC and the Labour Party is pretty big, yeah.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

even on your work nhs email you get an insane number of internal spam emails (mindfulness training offers, ads from all those companies who offered free nhs stuff last year etc )

it’s quite amazing anyone gets any work done at all

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

mr_jolly posted:

What if the 25 year old who works in media communications has underlying health isssues, lives with someone who does or lives with an elderly relative?

Does that still make them a low priority to you?

Edit: in the time it took you to post about being to busy to check your emails, couldn't you have instead checked your emails and got the vaccine in front of those less worthy than yourself?

So what's it like working from home in media communications for the NHS?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sebzilla posted:

Is this why Kieth has farted out a handful of yay unions tweets in the past couple of days?

They've obviously been kicking up a fuss about this and hopefully forcing a change in policy but the NEU organising their own poo poo against Labour positions is obviously another major shot that if there becomes a TUC platform which is different from Labour policy then Labour are really, really hosed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Very promising. Glad they are willing to have the conversation & hope it spurs more unions on to have it.

Can't imagine why anyone would want to disaffiliate from this though

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1348021430089347073?s=20

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 9, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Z the IVth posted:

My trust opened to frontliners and high risk (comorbs) staff last week and all other staff next week. Everyone will have their vax by the end of next week.

That's basically what my trust's doing as well - medical staff working directly with COVID-19 patients started getting vaccines in mid-December iirc, with a gradual roll-out to the rest of us in several tiers that's still going on.

Plus you have people like housekeeping, porters, ward clerks, receptionists and maintenance personnel who are in varying degrees of contact with both patients and the general public - often occuring in confined spaces that aren't always well-ventilated, often not having access to PPE beyond a facemask, some goggles if you're lucky and maybe a hastily-installed plexiglass screen when it comes to the clerks etc. I mean, vaccinating frontline COVID-19-figthing medical staff is obviously a number one priority, but I'd also prefer we didn't have any more dead housekeeping staff than we already currently have.

e: just in case, full disclosure - I'm non-medical staff

nurmie fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 9, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

But why does belief those ideas correlate almost entirely among party lines? I would argue that at the root of it it is because people fundamentally reject the idea of a democratic party president and the idea of the american democracy in general because it failed to return the result they wanted. The point is that they want their guy in charge, which is not a wrong thing to want in isolation! I want corbyn to be in charge of the UK if we're going to have anyone in charge of it, and if I could somehow snap my fingers and make that happen I would do it in an instant. Similarly if I could snap my fingers and make tory MPs have heart attacks until we eventually run out of them I would do that as well.

But they don't phrase it that way because the people feeding them those ideas, the people who run the actual news channels and have the actual presidency, and republican party, by the way, not some random social media people, know that they can't just say "we should install trump as a dictator" because they know a lot of people are not conditoned to like the sound of that. They phrase it as "restoring democracy" and "combating fraud" because "democracy" is a patriotic buzzword to a lot of people in the US. They are selling an emotional idea made out of nationalistic fluff that robes itself in what are, ultimately, entirely meaningless words and phrases that evoke happy feelings in the brains of the people doing it and give them a feeling of righteousness to their actions, because that feeling is necessary to motivate them to act.

They aren't convinced by the information, they start already believing the conclusion and then wrap that axiomatic belief in the trappings of an argument, an argument that only makes sense to them and other people who share that emotional, ideological belief. The specifics of the information are meaningless, what matters is the act of sharing it, the act of forming a community, the act of showing up with a shitload of other people all waving the flags you like and chanting and repeating the words you like to hear and holy poo poo we could just go in there and stop the fraud and free the country we'd be heroes...

What you're seeing is the power of emotional community, the resonance of collective action in the heart of ordinary human beings who, like all of us, are desperate for emotional fulfillment. And it's something that happens across the political spectrum, and it's something that has happened long before social media became a thing. The form might have changed a bit, but I don't think that the substance has that much. Social media being a highly effective communication platform I think has allowed that energy to build up a bit more easily than before, and I think that the atomization of capitalism has removed many of the more traditional counternarratives such as workplace communities, but I don't think it at all holds up to say that it is somehow the result of misinformation on social media that is causing the problem. The misinformation is and always has been spread via other routes, and there have always been other ways to form communities around it.

There was a good video by the Folding Ideas channel about qanon which I think goes over some of this stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

I’ll give that a watch, thanks.

I guess I just don’t agree that this isn’t a huge shift. Sure we’ve always wrapped our minds into the right shapes to fit the facts to our feelings and beliefs, that isn’t new. But social media has brought about an enormous acceleration of that. Probabilistically, you can model Republicans, or any political group - if you have 50000 data points on a person you can determine whether they’re more likely to be Republican than Democrat. Not that you need to actually - that’s one of the data points. Now the whole point of social media is to create the most engagement which is done by showing people things to elicit an emotional response to provoke further engagement and investment. That’s all it is.

The result of that, though, is that those responses are happening every few seconds, in bite size slices, and the platform is getting better every time at provoking it. What it turns out this leads to is insane amounts of exposure to things which provoke these responses which tend not to be good into - in the case of the US for right wing leaning people that’s often Q stuff. How we interact with our phones is not similar to how propaganda and news have ever worked before. It just isn’t. Newspapers don’t tailor their content to each and every user. Note does broadcast tv, or radio. It also isn’t omnipresent in your life, and it also isn’t invisible to the people around you who it isn’t being tailored to. You don’t pick up a paper every time you have five spare minutes. You don’t habitually read newspapers - tv, radio, and papers aren’t addictive. Well, they can be obviously but not at all in the same way. Tv addiction isn’t a serious issue in the world whereas phone and sm addiction absolutely is.

What I’m saying is there’s a huge difference between how information has been manipulated in the past and how it is now. Far more relentless, far more devious, far more tailored. Sure, you’ve got the Republicans and other bad actors using these tools to tell people bullshit about election fraud, but they now have tools that are more effective than anything in history and it isn’t even close. And it only takes a nudge before users are making their own content, which is being shared by the algorithm to the right people and so on and so forth. Baked Alaska’s content is not getting promoted by the Republican Party or the Mercers. It’s just what the algorithm to increase engagement knows does well amongst a certain audience, because it promotes a certain emotional response (which is also why it’s good propaganda), and it shows those people more of it. That just is different to anything we’ve had before and to act like it’s just another iteration of a similar theme, in line with previous iterations, is going to leave us totally vulnerable.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

This is an announcement of continuing the 2019 policy of seeking to cut the days in the standard working week, right? :3:
So families (of all and any forms) can spend more time together and get out and do fun things in the world, right? :ohdear:
That would be a good social-democratic family-orientated policy, wouldn't it? :unsmith:

Of course it loving isn't :sigh:

It's about keeping taxes down and a load of other waffly nonsense.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Labour isn't interested in labour

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jakabite posted:

I’ll give that a watch, thanks.

I guess I just don’t agree that this isn’t a huge shift. Sure we’ve always wrapped our minds into the right shapes to fit the facts to our feelings and beliefs, that isn’t new. But social media has brought about an enormous acceleration of that. Probabilistically, you can model Republicans, or any political group - if you have 50000 data points on a person you can determine whether they’re more likely to be Republican than Democrat. Not that you need to actually - that’s one of the data points. Now the whole point of social media is to create the most engagement which is done by showing people things to elicit an emotional response to provoke further engagement and investment. That’s all it is.

The result of that, though, is that those responses are happening every few seconds, in bite size slices, and the platform is getting better every time at provoking it. What it turns out this leads to is insane amounts of exposure to things which provoke these responses which tend not to be good into - in the case of the US for right wing leaning people that’s often Q stuff. How we interact with our phones is not similar to how propaganda and news have ever worked before. It just isn’t. Newspapers don’t tailor their content to each and every user. Note does broadcast tv, or radio. It also isn’t omnipresent in your life, and it also isn’t invisible to the people around you who it isn’t being tailored to. You don’t pick up a paper every time you have five spare minutes. You don’t habitually read newspapers - tv, radio, and papers aren’t addictive. Well, they can be obviously but not at all in the same way. Tv addiction isn’t a serious issue in the world whereas phone and sm addiction absolutely is.

What I’m saying is there’s a huge difference between how information has been manipulated in the past and how it is now. Far more relentless, far more devious, far more tailored. Sure, you’ve got the Republicans and other bad actors using these tools to tell people bullshit about election fraud, but they now have tools that are more effective than anything in history and it isn’t even close. And it only takes a nudge before users are making their own content, which is being shared by the algorithm to the right people and so on and so forth. Baked Alaska’s content is not getting promoted by the Republican Party or the Mercers. It’s just what the algorithm to increase engagement knows does well amongst a certain audience, because it promotes a certain emotional response (which is also why it’s good propaganda), and it shows those people more of it. That just is different to anything we’ve had before and to act like it’s just another iteration of a similar theme, in line with previous iterations, is going to leave us totally vulnerable.

I agree with this, and the mechanics and extent of it are very well demonstrated in The Social Dilemma. It’s not perfect but it’s worth watching.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As someone who does not have a family and doesn't want a family I really feel like there is a space in the political landscape for a party that doesn't give a poo poo about families.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

As a not lady or black person or poor person I think there is space in the political landscape for...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A comparison that definitely works because "families" are absolutely not a thing literally every political party prattles on about all of the time.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

This is dumb but at least it isnt star wars.

So you long for a party that will fulfil your wish of not giving a poo poo about families? Being that families are composed of human beings, how do you expect this new party to cater to you better than those ones that insist on prattling on about families?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This is dumb but at least it isnt star wars.

So you long for a party that will fulfil your wish of not giving a poo poo about families? Being that families are composed of human beings, how do you expect this new party to cater to you better than those ones that insist on prattling on about families?

Tax cuts for single childless people. Sliding scale of increasing tax the more children one has. Harsher benefits cap. No paternity/maternity leave. Sounds wonderful...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps by focusing on humans rather than ones that fit into their preferred social structures.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
in a sane world we would be incentivising people not to have children imo

beans up the backside tax relief

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Isn't it the job of the NHS person sitting in front of the computer... to sign up the NHS person doing actual health stuff for the jab?

Otherwise what are they even for?

Logistics, organization etc. It may come as a surprise to some but after aeons of cuts and austerity there is very little excess left in the NHS and everyone apart from maybe the doctors (if they're lucky) is doing a job meant for 2 or 3 people. I don't envy the job my departmental manager does and I am amazed at what they have managed to achieve single-handedly.

Besides the people actually getting the jab have to physically get the thing as well and someone ticking a electronic box does nothing for them. I've heard a crap situation about a trust spread across 3 sites 1 hour apart having vaccinations at one site only and the timing meant that it was impossible for staff in the other two sites to attend if they were working normal days. That is an utter failure of organisation and logistics.

There should be prioritisation. The frontliners get first dibs and be given ample opportunity to book into slots. But just because you're busy doesn't absolve you from checking your emails which is absolutely part of your work.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my election campaign posters be like

pre:
UP THE BUM.

NO BABY.
:catstare:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Thats suggesting you dont want people to do that though?

crispix posted:

pre:
UP THE BUM.

YES, BABY.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leaves you extremely open to being adjusted to

code:
UP THE BUM?
NO, BABY!
by other parties.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

checking your emails which is absolutely part of your work.

I'm not disagreeing with you.

I have 10,963 unread emails.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Leaves you extremely open to being adjusted to

code:
UP THE BUM?
NO, BABY!
by other parties.

:mad:

then i send out my bumabteilung to tear down their posters and intimidate them

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well gently caress, my dogs will be barking all night now.

therattle posted:

Tax cuts for single childless people. Sliding scale of increasing tax the more children one has. Harsher benefits cap. No paternity/maternity leave. Sounds wonderful...
Greater social support for people outside of traditional family structures, a complete repudiation of "there's no such thing as society, there are individual men and women and there are families", and comprehensive inclusion for anyone who's been deemed 'unnatural' in the face of reigning biological and familial norms sounds pretty good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

in a sane world we would be incentivising people not to have children imo

beans up the backside tax relief

Between massively increasing rents/mortgages and no attempt to cushion the career suicide that is having a kid for a woman in many industries, we've been doing that for four decades now. It's not gone well.

(In all seriousness the demographic timebomb that is caused by the plummeting fertility rates in the developed world is a genuine issue, with ripples from the massive stagnation of the Japanese economy to resurgent nationalism as countries across the West have to import a younger generation from the rest of the world. It's almost as if unchecked capitalism makes decisions that aren't the best for the long term)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

As someone who does not have a family and doesn't want a family I really feel like there is a space in the political landscape for a party that doesn't give a poo poo about families.

I don't expect a party to come out against families because that would be dire politics appealing to that really annoying Facebook friend you've known since high school who is obsessed with antinatalism and letting everyone know he got the snip.

It's more the vacuousness of it all. It's so Keith. Of course he's for families, what's the alternative, a policy of taking all children from their parents? He just is incapable of standing for anything and it boils my piss.

Plus it being Keith you do sort of fear the whole "kinder kirche, küchen" vibe

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 10, 2021

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Liberal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

It's more the vacuousness of it all. It's so Keith. Of course he's for families, what's the alternative, a policy of taking all children from their parents? He just is incapable of standing for anything and it boils my piss.

Plus it being Keith you do sort of fear the whole "kinder kirche, küchen" vibe
Yes, coming out to say "I am for families" is anywhere between the most empty gesture of "I enjoy food and music" and the worst kind of dogwhistle for "I am for traditional families and against the deviants that fall outside of that" and Kieth has been courting that side of Labour too much (i.e. at all) over the past year.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Between massively increasing rents/mortgages and no attempt to cushion the career suicide that is having a kid for a woman in many industries, we've been doing that for four decades now. It's not gone well.

(In all seriousness the demographic timebomb that is caused by the plummeting fertility rates in the developed world is a genuine issue, with ripples from the massive stagnation of the Japanese economy to resurgent nationalism as countries across the West have to import a younger generation from the rest of the world. It's almost as if unchecked capitalism makes decisions that aren't the best for the long term)

yeah i get it but ideally ecologically it would be best to try to decrease the global population in the near future :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and i'm much more about educating people about the intense pleasures to be had from anal sex rather than you know, rounding people up and sterilising them or whatever