Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Communist Thoughts posted:

funny to see Vitamin P getting licks in too since they were also someone treated with a lot of hostility

I get hostility because I'm a contrarian arsehole, am very comfortable with that, Ash gets hostility because she's constantly and coherently a white-noise ethnonationalist it's not the same.

CoolCab posted:

man do you remember that time endlessmonotony declared me a blood and soil fascist for saying guto bebb is a star wars name

fuckin lmao "guto bebb" is 100% a star wars name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol given the chat we've had over the last day or so about laughing at funny names... I'm going to call him Keith.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
was the fast show racist for making fun of boutros boutros ghali

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
gently caress all names you can’t stick -eh on the end of. Keitheh doesn’t work. Dumb name. Bad.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

was the fast show racist for making fun of boutros boutros ghali

Noooooooooo let's not do this again or I'll have to ask if he was Welsh and we don't want to touch that poop again

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

yeah i get it but ideally ecologically it would be best to try to decrease the global population in the near future :/

Oh definitely, but the conversation nobody wants to have is that the best way to do that is to increase the death rate, not decrease the birth rate.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

gently caress all names you can’t stick -eh on the end of. Keitheh doesn’t work. Dumb name. Bad.

Regarde-eh

:thunk:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oh definitely, but the conversation nobody wants to have is that the best way to do that is to increase the death rate, not decrease the birth rate.

Is it? The great plagues wiped out ~30% of Europe and the population recovered in a couple of generations, whereas no population recovers from a below replacement birth rate.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
the humour arose from the fact that the same word was repeated in his name

the 1990s was a simpler time

a better time?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Keith Sexarse

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Tories have been doing some sterling environmental work over the last decade if that's the case.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure that tracks, if you don't solve the pressure to keep birth rates high then mass death just results in increased birth rates as resources free up. If you want to create a long term self limiting population then birth rate reductions are better. Also killing alive people is generally regarded as unethical whereas not creating people in the first place is at worst ethically neutral and I would argue, cool and good.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

i'm fine having that conversation and i don't think it's a binary choice - even in this day and age there are a lot of people convinced they are under obligation to reproduce

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Birth rates tend to level off once societies reach a certain point anyway. And of course no one wants to have that conversation. Where would that conversation even go??

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if it's a religious conviction then that's different, you don't want to touch that lol

but some people just culturally think they have to

i would like to set up a charity for to educate those people that they can in fact just not reproduce and spend afternoons in bed in their jammies eating malteasers and drinking rose wine instead

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Guavanaut posted:

First as tragedy, then as farce, then as endlessly repeating farces until the planet cooks.
Still loving holds

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
socrates be spinning in his grave, forbidden conversations indeed :mad:

mind he was that relentlessly annoying a bastard they did him in for it

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I mean if science could follow up the idea that above a certain middle age conservatism was in the majority you could argue that any population that cravedcontinual advancement would want to cull its population at or around that age to ensure younger, more experimental voices drove proceedings.

But really we need rid of slow to evolve meat bodies and rely on technology. Look at me versus the iphone. Its advanced amazingly and I got fat and boring.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
but there exists a happy medium for to be stricken between being a thoughtless automaton and living an examined life imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

crispix posted:

a happy medium

shut up centrist

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But really we need rid of slow to evolve meat bodies and rely on technology. Look at me versus the iphone. Its advanced amazingly and I got fat and boring.

I know, they've had those glow-in-the-dark pigs and mice for ages now why can't I get a glow-in-the-dark child if I want? Inject those jellyfish genes into my balls and let's go.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm pro glowing children, pro glowing families.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'm anti, death to the luminoids!!! :mad:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

To hell with glowing children just make my balls glow.

Ideally different colours at will.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I long for the first child with copyrighted dna strands

Actually I wonder that hasn't already happened?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

NotJustANumber99 posted:

shut up centrist

You're not a centrist but I wish you'd shut up

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
my local post office sells glow in the dark paint - i spend my time in the queue there looking at all the art supplies, toys, cards, etc.

your local post office might carry such a range of goods too why not check it out and support your local post office

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If leaving the EU means that we can get GloFish it might all have been worth it until we have to eat them.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I long for the first child with copyrighted dna strands

Actually I wonder that hasn't already happened?

I want to say that already happened to someone thanks to biological patents but maybe I'm thinking of one of the bad Michael Crichton novels.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Continuity NIP posted:

You're not a centrist but I wish you'd shut up

wow. I'm likely a lowly foot soldier grunt in your future armed forces and this is how you treat me?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
should i ever have a sufficiently stable life i would adopt an unwanted child - the fixation of so many people on having a child that carries their dna when there are so many perfectly good children wanting homes boggles my mind tbh

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Some ladies want babies.

How many actual unwanted ones are there? Like is there a list of babies or a list of adopters?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Adoption is pretty hard AFAIK, you (quite properly) have to go through a bunch of stuff to prove your suitability and ability to care for a child. Making your own is something you can easily bang out in ten minutes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
well no not if you're gay that's what i was talking about really

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crispix posted:

well no not if you're gay that's what i was talking about really
I know, I was trying to go for a cheap joke.

But I agree with you on adoption tbh, it seems a lot better to take in an existing unwanted kid than put out another. I have a couple of adopted cousins - my aunt and uncle had a couple biological children, then fostered and eventually adopted children from "difficult" backgrounds and really put a lot into giving them as good a start in life as they could. I have a lot of respect for that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

My gay friends have spent a couple of years ramping up to it and it is a big deal and they seem like theyve maybe felt like they have to prove themselves in every way possible including being incredibly rich and moving house to the country and everything to pass whatever test it is to adopt.

But at the same time both my heterosexually coupled brothers have had sprogs in the last couple of years and one made a poo poo tonne of effort and the other one just sort of did it. So maybe you can do gay adoption the same, make an effort or not. I dunno.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
that post cancels out to 0, why even post it :/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

A friend just texted me asking if I’d heard of this podcast “Podcasting is Praxis”, apparently he very much enjoyed the AI Keir Starmer they had on recently 👍🏻

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You've never complained before.

What I suppose I meant to say is that my observed experience of i dunno traditional heterosexual couples having a baby is very varied and so just because the only gay couple I know seem to have made extreme efforts to satisfy either themselves or other people that they are worthy to adopt doesnt mean thats the only way it has to be. It was supposed to be positive. I hosed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I don't care

Al qu'ar stamar could be a thing maybe on your internet wireless programme