Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I appreciate the inclusion of developers, gotta recognize the people who made these games

<===== Also Unionize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
[crawling through the desert, reaching up] tell me... was i the only one with sekiro on my list...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

[crawling through the desert, reaching up] tell me... was i the only one with sekiro on my list...

Which game was that? The one about rice farming? Sorry bud. This is soulstown

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will say that I am very impressed with how much I enjoy Hades despite it being lots of things I don’t like in games (roguelike/from an isometric viewpoint especially). While I do tend to get confused with the amount of poo poo on screen during the more hectic fights, and wish I could zoom in a little more, the combat is seriously good with lots of great weapons and a phenomenal amount of variety and the narrative stuff definitely helps me want to keep playing as I love keeping up with the stories. Plus it’s extremely pretty.

And like I’m still relatively early in! I haven’t even beaten the Bone Hydra yet!! Good game imo (although it wouldn’t have cracked my top 5 had I played it earlier because 2020 really was just That loving Good for games)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I haven’t played the SA Games GOTY 2 years running now. Keep that streak alive! I’m a rebel.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think sekiro was #2 last year?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

It was on mine too!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hades is great...

It only has 4 levels

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Giving out GOTY probes quote me for one

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Do your worst.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Thank you VideoGames, Games Mods, Games Thread, and Games in general for encouraging me to try to engage with why I like this silly medium.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One last check before the end of the broadcast, what do the woopers think of GOTY this year

:wooper: :wooper: :wooper: - "FFXIV or Yakuza should've won this list is trash"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Jay Rust posted:

Indeed. My #1 was in the #2 spot two years in a row. And my number 2 (MHW) was SAGOTY for the inaugural list. So what I'm trying to say is stick with me, kid, if you wanna be the second best. :clint:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thanks so much VideoGames for all your work on the thread this year.

Games really is the best forum on the internet for discussion video games and I'm so, so happy it exists.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

Games really is the best forum on the internet for discussion video games

turns out everything else, too

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Thanks for the work VG! Just wanted to say I'm really thankful that we got this thread - a lot of the things we've been looking forward to in 2020 had to be cancelled so it's super cool that you stepped up to keep this tradition alive. Critically engaging with video games for my list has made me realize how much I enjoy this dumb medium and i think i want to make essays on games now, or make a game of my own. i don't know. whatever, i had too many mai tais. thanks!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jay Rust posted:

I think so, only beaten out by Disco Elysium I believe?

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Inspired by the anime thread I tried my hand at a Principal Component Analysis diagram.

For reference, blue is PS4/PS5 owners, red is Switch owners, and purple is idorts. So it seems the biggest questions this year were "do you own a PS4?" and "how intensely did you like Hades?"

I also did a visualization of this year vs. last year

which if anything, again shows that the Playstation was having a loving year this year. Last year, out of the top 20 games Switch exclusives grabbed 5 and 18 and the Playstation only had Death Stranding at 7. This year, the Switch grabbed 5 while the Playstation grabbed 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, 15, and 18. (and I have to admit this thread had me checking the prices on used PS4s, because that kind of giant robot anime nonsense is very much my thing)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Extremely good list thank you VG and goons, let us all play many games this year and enjoy them and have another great list a year from now :)

videos game... :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

I think so, only beaten out by Disco Elysium I believe?

Top 10 from last year:

10. Baba is You
9. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
8. Final Fantasy 14
7. Death Stranding
6. Control
5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
4. Resident Evil 2 Remake
3. Outer Wilds
2. Sekiro
1. Disco Elysium

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Microcline posted:

Inspired by the anime thread I tried my hand at a Principal Component Analysis diagram.

For reference, blue is PS4/PS5 owners, red is Switch owners, and purple is idorts. So it seems the biggest questions this year were "do you own a PS4?" and "how intensely did you like Hades?"

which if anything, again shows that the Playstation was having a loving year this year. Last year, out of the top 20 games Switch exclusives grabbed 5 and 18 and the Playstation only had Death Stranding at 7. This year, the Switch grabbed 5 while the Playstation grabbed 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, 15, and 18. (and I have to admit this thread had me checking the prices on used PS4s, because that kind of giant robot anime nonsense is very much my thing)

wtf loool

also people keep saying video games and i remembered this remix of lana del rey i used to like in high school https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxGNWCqANHA

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This was a lot of fun... think I'm gonna go play some video games!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Argh, sorry Jay rust, I completely forgot about the yeas and the systems. At some point I will edit them in.

For everyone else here is a handy quick rundown of the full 60 in descending order:

60. Bugsnax
59. Factorio
58. Stardew Valley
57. Dragon Quest XI
56. Desperados III
55. Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
54. Nioh 2
53. Prey
52. Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity
51. Hitman 2
50. Satisfactory
49. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
48. Blaseball
47. Star Wars Squadrons
46. Horizon Zero Dawn
45. Trails of Cold Steel IV
44. Dark Souls
43. Noita
42. A Short Hike
41. Slay the Spire
40. Genshin Impact
39. Return of the Obra Dinn
38. Persona 4 Golden
37. Spelunky 2
36. MicroSoft Flight Sim 2020
35. Witcher 3
34. Control
33. zelda: breath of the wild
32. Yakuza 0
31. Trials of Mana
30. Among Us
29. Astro's Playroom
28. Pathologic 2
27. Spider-man: Miles Morales
26. Monster Train
25. AI: the Somnium Files
24. Half Life: Alyx
23. Paper Mario Origami King
22. Tony Hawk 1+2 Remastered
21. Paradise Killer
20. Crusader Kings III
19. Streets of Rage 4
18. Demon's Souls
17. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
16. Death Stranding
15. Bloodborne
14. Doom Eternal
13. Kentucky Route Zero
12. Outer Wilds
11. Persona 5 Royal
10. The Last Of Us Part II
09. CyberPunk 2077
08. Disco Elysium
07. Ghost of Tsushima
06. Final Fantasy XIV
05. Animal Crossing New Horizons
04. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
03. Yakuza 7: Like a Dragon
02. Final Fantasy VII Remake
01. Hades

Thank you so much for joining me and all the other Games goons for this countdown. It was so much fun to do, a lot of work to get it working well and just a wonderful little experience.

Double thanks to ShallNoiseUpon who effortlessly helped me search through the thread for quotes.

And also thanks again to Rarity for coming up with this tradition.

It is now 1:47am, and I am heading to bed! :D

Good night and for those joining us after the fact, have fun reading the reveals and reactions!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Microcline posted:

I don't understand any of this but I still think it owns :)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They should post these awards on the frontpage of the site

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Da crew

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Microcline posted:

i have no idea what any of this means but holy poo poo it rules and look ma, i can see my name up in the north pole!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Kerrzhe posted:

thank you video games. and thank you VideoGames.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
it's so hosed up that pikmin 3 deluxe didn't make it in the top 60. but yakuza at number 3 surprised me

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

If I'm reading this chart right I need to buy 13 Sentinels.

e: Ah, I see I'm being pulled away from FF7 Remake by Bloodborne.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Microcline posted:

I tried my hand at a Principal Component Analysis diagram.

Also these are loving cool, great work.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

If I'm reading this chart right I need to buy 13 Sentinels.

e: Ah, I see I'm being pulled away from FF7 Remake by Bloodborne.

Everyone needs to buy 13 Sentinels, it rules

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

YOOOOOOOOOOO :blastu:

"I'm just playin' games..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gj47G2e1Jc

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm surprised that Sakuna of Rice and Ruin didn't make the list as it seems to be a cult classic and hard to find the basic version.

Microcline posted:

The PS4 had a very good year. The system usually collected dust as I primarily play on PC but I actually broke it out for more than one title this year. In contrast the Switch had a pretty mediocre year. Outside of Animal Crossing there was essentially not much besides indie exclusives and old re-releases. 2021 for the console is looking INSANE though.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 10, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
messed up that in that chartt im in the big group but most of my list was one offs no one else played

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i can't see if i'm on the big star chart i want to see who all my game friends are

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hit me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Imhotep posted:

it's so hosed up that pikmin 3 deluxe didn't make it in the top 60. but yakuza at number 3 surprised me

It got a lot more votes towards the end I think

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

things that made the top 10:

• an unfinished game graphics card circlejerk that took 10 years to make and lied about 75% of the things you were supposed to be able to do in it
  • a 60 hour anime

this was a blast, thanks VG for doing this and including my blurb for TLOU2!

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Streets of rage 4 was too low. I’m disappointed in you all.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Fantastic work VeeGees. Thanks for doing this.

Now that it is over i can come clean. Ace Combat 7 was my true #10 but going from the FF3 dishonorable mention to #10 Bravely Default was too clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

gonna assume i'm in this lovely fuzzy pile and thus everyone else in this pile are my friends