Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

They'd have to wait until we learn whatever the hell his fruit is (or whatever else caused him to spontaneously grow fangs). Speaking of PW4, it's really nice to be able to play as Kiku, but I'm not super keen on how the last pack was all (mostly) normal people with swords. This is One Piece. Bizarre superpowers and fighting styles are a main selling point. Just 'has a sword' doesn't make for a particularly fun or unique moveset.

i think yamato is half dragon, my baseless guess is that the koikoi fruit doesn't turn into a dragon fruit it literally turns the user into a dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yamato is actually half-Magikarp.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is this a chapter week?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Both One Piece and MHA say Jan 17th for their next chapters, so either Jump is on break this week or they are both skipping an issue.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Jump is on break.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
絶望

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
https://twitter.com/kuramah3/status/1347489003910660102

what the hells going on w/ shueisha all of a sudden LMAO

nintendo strikes its own promotional copies of fire emblem energy

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
need to team up with twitch to discuss the pirate musou problem to unlock their true power

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Violen posted:

https://twitter.com/kuramah3/status/1347489003910660102

what the hells going on w/ shueisha all of a sudden LMAO

nintendo strikes its own promotional copies of fire emblem energy
This is a pretty recent thing that's just popped up, people were getting DMCA's over twitter content but in the end they turned out to be false claims that a troll ended up placing. The boring distopian future we seem to be leaning into is legitimately is people getting fined/jail time over using profile pictures of an IP to their 13 followers

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
discussion question: do you guys want to see Orochi alive or have him kept dead? which do you think would be better storytelling, having him betrayed by kaido as his last act or having him hang on to get some comeuppance from one of the heroes?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

If he's dead, I certainly want his Devil Fruit to get picked up by someone down the road. It'd be a real shame if a cool Mythical Zoan like his just got swept aside and wasted on a non-combatant like him.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think the story has moved past him already, and the samurai don't look like they're going to be getting up any time soon, if at all. I can't see what it would achieve to bring him back; he died unceremoniously, and that's all he deserves and needs. Same with Kanjuro getting offscreened.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I'm looking forward to Orochi and Kanjuro's excellent adventure cover story after this arc is over and seeing them again in the final arc as changed people.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't see orochi coming back as a major player but i could definitely see him appearing in the 11th hour pulling some poo poo to sabotage kaido out of spite

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
There is something pretty perfect about Kanjuro, the actor, being denied his big moment in the spotlight off-screened.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tbp posted:

discussion question: do you guys want to see Orochi alive or have him kept dead? which do you think would be better storytelling, having him betrayed by kaido as his last act or having him hang on to get some comeuppance from one of the heroes?

It honestly depends how Oda wants to write this arc and resolve it. There has definitely been a big theme of "alliances" and "betrayal" that has been ever present in the last few arcs, and it feels like it's coming to a thematic head, to the point where I'm fully expecting it's going to be a Rox situation where Big Mom winds up betraying and backstabbing Kaido, whereas all of Luffy's allies stick with him, and this ultimately leads to Kaido's defeat.

With that in mind, I could absolutely see Orochi coming back just to "get his comeuppance" against Kaido. And while there us nothing conclusive, there are two pieces of evidence that make me think this might be the case. 1) a couple of chapters after Orochi died, Oda dedicated a panel in one chapter to the head of Orochi's ninja squad noticing something offscreen and wandering off. This hasn't come back up at all yet. My best guess for what this could be was him noticing Orochi sneaking away in all the chaos. 2) From a more meta perspective, Orochi has been built up as someone who multiple people, including Zoro and Hiyori, have wanted to kill. Killing him off almost unceremoniously, and not giving a payoff for all the dramatic tension that was built with Yasuie's death, him meeting with CP0 behind Kaido's back, and his relationship with Hiyori/Komurasaki, I would argue is bad writing, not because it is subversive, but because it is a huuuuuge case of blue balls that leaves your readers disappointed.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Orochi's a spiteful little poo poo so I could see him doing something like letting the World Government in while everyone's recovering from the fight with Kaido.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThingOne posted:

Orochi's a spiteful little poo poo so I could see him doing something like letting the World Government in while everyone's recovering from the fight with Kaido.

without orochi in power, the WG doesn't get weapons or their most powerful resource: seastone. they will back him up if he's alive.

i think orochi is alive, he was killed in an almost too unceremonious way. all of the things about him were built up and then not cleaned up. whereas kanjuro there were hints of loose threads he isn't really important to the greater story.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The WG's probably been waiting for a moment like this for centuries.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

my absolute honest mistake. I went back just now and corrected that.

The more I think about how Yamato has this drive to be Oden, the more I think it comes from something in the prophecy, or the journal itself.

Either the prophecy itself mentions Oden in future events and so Yamato is filling that role knowing he is dead, or he isn't really dead and Yamato doesn't realize that he doesn't need to fill that role.

Or the title of Oden was bestowed to the finder of the journal. I can't remember if Oden's journal started before or after Roger found One Piece. Maybe it has the true history witten and Yamato is set up to die so Momo can inherit the title?

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 10, 2021

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I hope not, Yamato's a much better character than Momo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

tbp posted:

Honestly I’m pretty conflicted on this, on the one hand it’s more cathartic in the conventional sense to let get beaten by a protagonist, but Orochi himself is just some dumb manchild who Kaido let be in charge out of convenience. Maybe specific atrocities wouldn’t have happened, but thinking about it Orochi was just some tool, in multiple ways, to the point that Denjiro even stops Zoro from killing him earlier cause it wasn’t gonna fix anything, so I doubt the samurai would get any catharsis out of it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Orochi clearly got iced as part of Oda cutting corners to get to what he wanted to cover in 1000, see also Kanjuro just kind of happening.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Viridiant posted:

I hope not, Yamato's a much better character than Momo.

Oh definitely much better than young momo. But what about post mature mature fruit older momo who is accidentally hit with the mature beam after throwing himself in front of odens journal to save it from the ninja who is about to betray them next chapter?

No way is orrochi out of it how else do you explain who calls the world government after making a deal to take out kaido and the baby with a buster call and forces big mom kaido and luffy to team up?

I'm sure trying to fight more than one yonko at a time is a bad idea for the WG but at the same time can you pass up an opportunity to take out all of your opponents at once if you have some sort of AoE nuke?

Philosopher King fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 10, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I really recommend checking this week's OP Anime episode. It's the transitional episode a bit before Oden starts, so it's a good reminder of all the insane stuff that's going on outside of Wano. Also its direction is immaculate and BIG NEWS was *incredible*.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

MorningMoon posted:

I really recommend checking this week's OP Anime episode. It's the transitional episode a bit before Oden starts, so it's a good reminder of all the insane stuff that's going on outside of Wano. Also its direction is immaculate and BIG NEWS was *incredible*.

Yeah no kidding, I came for BIG NEWS but the whole ep was :discourse:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
They gave Big News Morgan the star treatment this thread always wanted

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I watched that part of the episode and it was just really well-directed, too

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I've watched the anime for years and years and I can honestly say that is one of the best episodes they've ever done. It's right up there with the Gear Second Luffy vs Blueno in terms of quality and it's not even a big fight episode.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
just watched it and all i can say is :bignews:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I think the story has moved past him already

This.

I honestly kind of forgot about Orochi. Almost everything he did was because of Kaido, he was just a puppet being used. What, he comes back only to die again anyways?

Obviously Oda could make it work, but I just don't see it happening without killing the pace of Wano or being mostly pointless.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the orochi has eight heads, kaido only got the one

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Patware posted:

the orochi has eight heads, kaido only got the one

He wasn't transformed at the time. He only had one head.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i remind you that we are talking about one piece

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tbp posted:

I don't really want to see Orochi pop back up, because he's almost less of a threat than Wapol was. From a storytelling perspective, the only real use for him to pop back up is for it to be part of a World Government plot that gets foiled and is used for propaganda by the Revolutionaries. Something like he calls for Cipher Pol help and in the process of the conversation spills the beans over behind the scenes corruption which is recorded by :bignews: or something.

I mean, if he does come back about the only other satisfying conclusion is him getting offed by the desperate people he created, either intentionally or without even realizing who he is. A quasi nega version of M Bison's "for me it was a Tuesday." 'Cause he sure as gently caress isn't any sort of plot impediment for the victorious team Strawhat and the Lecherous Little Prince faction.

Philosopher King posted:

my absolute honest mistake. I went back just now and corrected that.

The more I think about how Yamato has this drive to be Oden, the more I think it comes from something in the prophecy, or the journal itself.

Either the prophecy itself mentions Oden in future events and so Yamato is filling that role knowing he is dead, or he isn't really dead and Yamato doesn't realize that he doesn't need to fill that role.

Or the title of Oden was bestowed to the finder of the journal. I can't remember if Oden's journal started before or after Roger found One Piece. Maybe it has the true history witten and Yamato is set up to die so Momo can inherit the title?

I think it's written from the perceptive of if I(Oden) die before things happen then someone else is going to do it. However after watching Oden die and being poo poo on by pops for decades Yamato has given up believing in the idea of new heroes. Especially after Ace died.

Which honestly, Ace has become a way better character in post death flashbacks than he ever was before breaking Luffy's brain. Guess he got that from his daddy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gyges posted:

Which honestly, Ace has become a way better character in post death flashbacks than he ever was before breaking Luffy's brain. Guess he got that from his daddy.

That’s hosed up, man. True, but still hosed up.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I highly recommend this week’s episode of the anime

https://youtu.be/SZpf5rz6gOA

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Looking at that cli0 the anime’s still kinda slow for my tastes compared to the manga but Jesus it really is a million times better.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

I highly recommend this week’s episode of the anime

https://youtu.be/SZpf5rz6gOA

I think my favourite part in that sequence was Doflamingo's bit as he looms over Moria. He actually looks like a terrifying demon in that moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The pacing is still slow but as a regular viewer of both the manga and the anime I will at least say certain aspects of the latter have improved since the new director took over at the start of Wano (the voice acting and music have always been great in my opinion though).