Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

Really it's because Netflix grabs new garbage and even promotes some of it, while Prime just has this massive back-catalogue of ancient crap that most people never loving see because they aren't digging for it. You want to see the original Flash Gordon shorts cut into sort of a movie? How about terrible Bladerunner ripoff where Tom Selleck and Kirstie Alley fight Gene Simmons' robot army? Sure there's Hamilton, but also March of the Wooden Soldiers. The sheer depth of Amazons' library is Sturgeons Law made manifest.

That Tom Selleck movie has everything. Robot spiders, guns with heat seeking bullets, a rogue robot with a handgun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

stevewm posted:

It is not illegal at all. In the US you are allowed to do with a physical copy what you want (with exception of copying) regardless what the movie industry says.

During the VHS days the industry charged much higher pricing for "rental copies". Rental stores had to pay $50+ per tape. The industry tried to continue this pricing model with DVD, but where unsuccessful.

There used to be several companies that would sell copies of VHS/DVDs to video stores 1-3 weeks prior to the official street date, this way the rental store would have the copies in stock on the day of. There was also a company called "Rentrak" that had a model where the store could get several copies with little to no up-front cost. Rentrak would then get a percentage of the rental proceeds until the copy is paid for, then the store owns it. My cousin's store utilized Rentrak until they stopped offering this service early last year.

Movie industry has liked to claim that when 'buying' something you are actually not buying anything and the physical DVD is still their property that they're giving you permission to hold, subject to restrictions. I think they've lost every time that's actually gone to court though. Redbox did lose a case (eventually after Disney changed their packaging disclosures a bunch) where they were buying DVD+download code combos, using the physical DVDs to stock their rental machines and then reselling the codes.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

fartknocker posted:

My grandmother turns 94 tomorrow and knows how to use her smart phone better than he uses his flip phone. Boomers suck.

Around 2010, I was in a restaurant, and at the table next to me there was couple in their late 70's I would assume. Each of them had a brand new smart phone, and they were going through the features, exploring and learning about them together. Camera, texting, various apps and the built in browser were all being discussed.

After about 10 minutes, the man just became quiet, put down his glasses and began to tear up.
"This is all just so amazing....." he said to his wife.

I like to think he is stall amazed, and not using it to poo poo post in the comments section of the local newspaper.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Around 2010, I was in a restaurant, and at the table next to me there was couple in their late 70's I would assume. Each of them had a brand new smart phone, and they were going through the features, exploring and learning about them together. Camera, texting, various apps and the built in browser were all being discussed.

After about 10 minutes, the man just became quiet, put down his glasses and began to tear up.
"This is all just so amazing....." he said to his wife.

I like to think he is stall amazed, and not using it to poo poo post in the comments section of the local newspaper.

:unsmith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Twitter may soon be thread-relevant, their shares dropping 3.6% in the time since they permabanned Donald Trump's account.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
:yeshaha:

I genuinely did not expect them to actually do it

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
A large part of me is rolling my eyes, like how BRAVE of the company to wait until every last possible challenge to the election results and multiple calls for an insurrection to ban him. But at the end of the day it's one less platform where he can turn people with extremist views into actual terrorists, so good riddance.

They don't even get an attaboy from me though. Suffer, twitter executive billionaires.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Che Delilas posted:

A large part of me is rolling my eyes, like how BRAVE of the company to wait until every last possible challenge to the election results and multiple calls for an insurrection to ban him. But at the end of the day it's one less platform where he can turn people with extremist views into actual terrorists, so good riddance.

They don't even get an attaboy from me though. Suffer, twitter executive billionaires.

It's more like Twitter, et al. waited good until it was crystal clear Trump lost his mojo (and therefore wouldn't hurt their bottom line too much) before doing what they should have done years ago. This is damage control on a major scale. Some real "closing the barn door" poo poo right here.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
On the SDTV front, I find it weird that they don't have the HD channels as the default ones.

On my sky box in Brexitville, if the box is a HD box and you have the HD package, they'll always put the HD version of the channel on the lower number. For instance, Dave HD is on channel 111, Dave ja vu (the +1 hour channel) is on 211, and Dave SD is on 811.

Is there a reason the American companies don't just make the HD channels the default when they are available?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

there wolf posted:

Really it's because Netflix grabs new garbage and even promotes some of it, while Prime just has this massive back-catalogue of ancient crap that most people never loving see because they aren't digging for it. You want to see the original Flash Gordon shorts cut into sort of a movie? How about terrible Bladerunner ripoff where Tom Selleck and Kirstie Alley fight Gene Simmons' robot army? Sure there's Hamilton, but also March of the Wooden Soldiers. The sheer depth of Amazons' library is Sturgeons Law made manifest.

If you want to watch really garbage old Westerns buy a month of Epix for $4.99 or whatever. They have an insane library of them for some reason. If you've watched one or two of the good ones then wondered why the genre ever died, you owe it to yourself to watch some of Epix's incredibly inexplicably deep catalogue of the bad poo poo.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ellspurs posted:

For instance, Dave HD is on channel 111, Dave ja vu (the +1 hour channel) is on 211, and Dave SD is on 811.

There’s just no possible way that England is a real place.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you want to watch really garbage old Westerns buy a month of Epix for $4.99 or whatever. They have an insane library of them for some reason. If you've watched one or two of the good ones then wondered why the genre ever died, you owe it to yourself to watch some of Epix's incredibly inexplicably deep catalogue of the bad poo poo.

I honestly don't like Westerns as a genre much, or I'd be tempted. Do they have a horrible catalogue of musicals or scifi as well?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Are we talking the spaghetti variety or regular American westerns?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Amazon's well of terrible poo poo is how I saw Killer Sofa and Velocipastor, and for this I am grateful, even if The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot sucked.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ellspurs posted:

On the SDTV front, I find it weird that they don't have the HD channels as the default ones.

On my sky box in Brexitville, if the box is a HD box and you have the HD package, they'll always put the HD version of the channel on the lower number. For instance, Dave HD is on channel 111, Dave ja vu (the +1 hour channel) is on 211, and Dave SD is on 811.

Is there a reason the American companies don't just make the HD channels the default when they are available?

I suspect a few reasons.

The first that jumps to my mind is that channels aren't going to always be the same number in different areas. The traditional main networks and OTA stuff (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, plus stuff like CW, MyTV, PBS, etc) are going to be different numbers for each affiliate. To use the local examples I know well, the Fox affiliate for Miami (Which covers Miami-Dade and Broward counties), WSVN, is channel 7, but the Fox affiliate for the next county north in Palm Beach, WFLX, is channel 29 OTA and their local cable groups it as channel 11 to be close to the other "main" networks. That range of channels is always going to be different when you're in a different affiliates' zone, and that's unavoidable.

This gets more convoluted when you start going to strictly cable stuff, and ESPN is a good example. Just like the main networks, it'll be different numbers in different areas. In parts of Broward, it's SD channel number has been 34 for over 20 years. But in the North part of the county it's channel 32, and continuing into Palm Beach, it's 33. Why? No idea. Now, that's just off by a single number. Other stuff may be a lot more off. The History Channel could be number 51, 58, or 65 depending on which area you live in. AMC can be 48, 55, or 59. Comedy Central can be 39, 53, or 67. This is all basically within a 20-mile, hugely populated area, and those are some basic cable channels that have been around for decades. Something like NFL Network might be 124, 180, or 736!

Now again, those are all just for the standard definition channels, which in some cases were assigned to those numbers 25+ years ago when each area was a totally different company, but they haven't tried to unify any of them for whatever reasons. I suspect it's because of how much a mess it would be for each area. For the main networks I can kind of understand it, as channel 4 in one place might be CBS, in the next it'll be ABC, or whatever. However, for HD, the channel numbers will generally be the same from city to city and county to county. ESPN HD is 403 in almost all of those areas, for example, while the local Fox affiliate in HD is always 434, the NBC affiliate is always 432, so at least those are mostly standardized, just in a higher range because those were probably the lowest numbers available at that time.

And these are all just people who use Comcast or their affiliates. If you have AT&T's cable service, your ESPN SD channel is like 602. They make their HD stuff fairly easy to find, they just add a one in front, so their ESPN HD is 1602. DirectTV satellite? ESPN is something like 208 but I have no idea if that's SD or HD because having satellite in South Florida is dumb since you'll lose the signal for hours at a time in the summer during the rainy season and I don't know anyone who has had it within the last 10 years.

This is all before you get into the hardware side of things. Comcast currently has at least three different types of cable box with varying different features and whatnot, and I know there are still older ones that people have and use. I already mentioned my grandmother has one that is both newer and more features, so it automatically will go to an HD channel if available. If she wants to watch Jeopardy, which has been on the local ABC, WPLG channel 10, she can just enter "10" and it will automatically take her to the HD channel 431. She has no reason to relearn the numbers for HD. We have slightly older boxes and don't pay for some of the extra features like DVR and other stuff, so ours don't automatically go to HD. It's the same reason why people might have three radically different versions of the onscreen digital guide. There are a bunch of other cable companies (BlueStream, TimeWarner, Cox, Spectrum, just to name a few I've heard of off hand) that don't even operate down here, so I have no idea what insanity they might do.

So, like everything else in America, it's basically just a mess. :911:

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are we talking the spaghetti variety or regular American westerns?

Prime has a great selection of insane spaghetti westerns.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
re: Comcast, I think it's default behavior that if you enter a SD number it'll prompt you to switch over to the HD feed, but that's an additional button press. If you just wanna watch your show and don't care that it looks like trash you might hit exit instead of OK, or dig through the preferences to stop getting those messages entirely.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Volcott posted:

re: Comcast, I think it's default behavior that if you enter a SD number it'll prompt you to switch over to the HD feed, but that's an additional button press. If you just wanna watch your show and don't care that it looks like trash you might hit exit instead of OK, or dig through the preferences to stop getting those messages entirely.

Depends on the specific cable box you have. Like, the ones I have (Which are maybe ~5 years old) will have the "Watch in HD" button come up on the guide if you switch to an SD channel and it has an HD version, but I think the older ones or the simpler converter boxes don't.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
For some reason in the city of Syracuse, for my entire life nbc3 has always been on channel 4 with cable.

At my grandparents house 20 minutes away in the country under the same company it was channel 3. There’s no reason for it to not be channel 3 on cable. It’s currently occupied by ion.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I watch in SD because my DVR is always insanely full and I'm constantly fighting to keep it below 85% capacity :ohdear: a movie in SD may take up 1-2% but HD will take up 6%. Yeah we could probably up the space on the DVR but $$$. Watching HD live is fine but the majority of watching I do is past airing off of the DVR.

Maybe if I can ever get us down to like 30% I'll treat myself to recording my shows in HD, but how HD do you really want Dr. Pimple Popper to be

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is just streaming not an option?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Cable deciding the way to compete with streaming is more channels means more and more compression and more and more channels moved to multiband means an HD signal isn’t necessarily that much better than SD anymore, at least not for a lot of cable customers. I have a feeling we will keep going backwards in picture quality until ATSC 3.0 is more widely available.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Volcott posted:

On my Comcast box if I enter an SD channel it'll automatically tune to the HD one. It didn't used to do that though, I think they must have pushed out a software update at some point because it used to do it like you described.

Rick posted:

Cable deciding the way to compete with streaming is more channels means more and more compression and more and more channels moved to multiband means an HD signal isn’t necessarily that much better than SD anymore, at least not for a lot of cable customers. I have a feeling we will keep going backwards in picture quality until ATSC 3.0 is more widely available.
Yeah, even on my small bedroom 24" TV the compression artifacts are very noticeable.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rick posted:

That's not 100% true, sometimes they make them into digital switch channels that turn off if you don't fiddle with the remote enough.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Volcott posted:

Is just streaming not an option?

Not always. For the first time ever I hit my ISP's 1.25tb limit last month.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

To the surprise of nobody and the glee of everyone, Parler is also potentially thread-relevant!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/johnpaczkowski/amazon-parler-aws

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Time to start investing in random number stations!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Icon Of Sin posted:

To the surprise of nobody and the glee of everyone, Parler is also potentially thread-relevant!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/johnpaczkowski/amazon-parler-aws

Yeah, this is going to be like someone agreeing to host Stormfront, they're effectively toast.

hosed around, found out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Volmarias posted:

Yeah, this is going to be like someone agreeing to host Stormfront, they're effectively toast.

hosed around, found out.

Does Stormfromt have a web host?

I'm not googling to find that one out

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Stormfromt have a web host?

I'm not googling to find that one out

I jumped on the grenade and got on that watchlist for you. Turns out they lost their domain name in 2017 for a month, but they're still online. I think that they ended up fragmenting a good deal as people found them not extreme enough so there is that.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Volmarias posted:

I jumped on the grenade and got on that watchlist for you. Turns out they lost their domain name in 2017 for a month, but they're still online. I think that they ended up fragmenting a good deal as people found them not extreme enough so there is that.

That is the great thing about Goons. There is always someone willing to do what must be done.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I will never stop lmaoing at the fact that r/Stormfront was hijacked into becoming a weather chart subreddit.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The "Daily Stormer" site exists and is hosted by VanWaTech, who also host 8chan/kun and Q websites. Here's a graphic that shows the IPs assigned to VanWaTech as of October 2020 and the sites to which they resolve:

VanWaTech is owned by a scumbag named Nick Lim. VanWaTech has lost most of their peering options, as companies understandably don't love to do business with hosts for sites like Vanguard America, lolis[dot]xyz, incels[dot]net, maga[dot]host, 8kun, and QArmy[dot]net. The only provider connecting them now, i believe, is a Russian internet company called DDoS-Guard.

(Fun fact: DDoS-Guard also host Hamas' website.)

ChickenOfTomorrow has a new favorite as of 07:52 on Jan 11, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m furious that they are in possesion of the coveted websites.org.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

The "Daily Stormer" site exists and is hosted by VanWaTech, who also host 8chan/kun and Q websites. Here's a graphic that shows the IPs assigned to VanWaTech as of October 2020 and the sites to which they resolve:

VanWaTech is owned by a scumbag named Nick Lim. VanWaTech has lost most of their peering options, as companies understandably don't love to do business with hosts for sites like Vanguard America, lolis[dot]xyz, incels[dot]net, maga[dot]host, 8kun, and QArmy[dot]net. The only provider connecting them now, i believe, is a Russian internet company called DDoS-Guard.

(Fun fact: DDoS-Guard also host Hamas' website.)

I’m jamescorney.com

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's not 100% true, sometimes they make them into digital switch channels that turn off if you don't fiddle with the remote enough.

Hahah, yeah, those are the worst. I have to have a tuning adapter to watch those and tuning adapters go bad every three or four years.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm NickLimSucks.Com.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweeperbravo posted:

I watch in SD because my DVR is always insanely full and I'm constantly fighting to keep it below 85% capacity :ohdear: a movie in SD may take up 1-2% but HD will take up 6%. Yeah we could probably up the space on the DVR but $$$. Watching HD live is fine but the majority of watching I do is past airing off of the DVR.

Maybe if I can ever get us down to like 30% I'll treat myself to recording my shows in HD, but how HD do you really want Dr. Pimple Popper to be

I was going to question why the cable companies even bother with SD channels anymore, but I guess that's one explanation.

It's just weird to me that 12 years after the changeover that there would be too many TVs left that can't interpret a HD signal.

Rick posted:

Which is funny because, as an avid antenna user for the last 14 years, every time I encounter cable, every channel is just non-stop marathons of a single TV program.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

I was going to question why the cable companies even bother with SD channels anymore, but I guess that's one explanation.

It's just weird to me that 12 years after the changeover that there would be too many TVs left that can't interpret a HD signal.

There's also cost. I think the smallest cable packages some companies offer are just local stuff and 10-12 channels, or people using the digital adapters for older TVs. It was pretty common growing up to find people who only had the cable box that got all the channels in the living room, while other TV's might have cheaper boxes that get fewer channels or solely use antenna. Streaming and other stuff has probably cut a lot of that away for many people, but I know Comcast and others still offer the option of a cheapo box with limited SD channels for people who want it probably not as their primary TV, but something in a rarely used guest room or an office where they'll only check one or two channels or whatever.

SD stuff is probably still used and offered as part of bulk deals too. To give example, the apartment complex I live in has a pretty good deal with Comcast where we get one of their midlevel cable packages (Something like 200~ channels) and some cable boxes for something like only 40% of what it would cost to get elsewhere, as the complex has had a deal with Comcast (And the various companies that operated down here before them) since the mid-80's. Prior to the digital changeover, that package was like 2 SD boxes and a 3rd limited box, the sort of box that will give you basic cable channels, but not pay stuff like HBO or sports stuff, with no on screen guide. After the conversion to digital that third box was replaced by a digital adapter that functioned basically the same way. It wasn't until years after in like 2014 that they gave us HD boxes. I could easily imagine that some cheaper apartments or hotels or wherever still have SD service offered as low cost options.

It basically reminds me of the whole discussion of credit card chips, which I think has come up in this thread a few times, and how far behind Europe and other places that the U.S. was in adding them to cards, and then how long it took stores to get the chip readers added and working, and that was something most of them were actually trying to get switched over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
If you're just going to spend $12 a month to get local channels in SD, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to just get an antenna and get the HD for free.