Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Anno posted:

Thank you. I've mostly been trying to figure stuff out in game or on the wiki because I'll probably learn it better. But this is helpful, too.

So far I've resisted looking at any build guides and want to try doing that unless at some point it just becomes mandatory outside of building your own top-1% type build.

Yeah I felt very similarly when I started but earnestly there's so many systems going on that it will likely be unintuitive to the point where you will either immediately self sabotage or simply set yourself up later for a crash. Not that you can't course correct at any point, but there's a literal currency requirement that is nonzero especially for someone new.

I think it'll help your enjoyment of the game to follow a guide, mostly because a good build will give you the room to grow and not make you ragequit after you die to the final act boss after 23 deaths. It helped my own enjoyment after trying my own thing and sorta faceplanting, if you accept anecdotes as testimony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Hello friends, I went into standard league to unfuck my tabs and set my affinities and while I was doing so, I was graced with a portentous sign about my starter for the next league:

This is the first trading card I've had drop in steam in a long time, so the universe clearly wants me to play an ascendant. What is your favorite scion starter?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

boo_radley posted:

Hello friends, I went into standard league to unfuck my tabs and set my affinities and while I was doing so, I was graced with a portentous sign about my starter for the next league:

This is the first trading card I've had drop in steam in a long time, so the universe clearly wants me to play an ascendant. What is your favorite scion starter?

Start as an aura bot and follow me around

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

McFrugal posted:

What if all your gear is vaaled already?

i........did not think of that

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Might make an arc witch as a starter this league, will feel nice not to do golemshell for once as an elementalist

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

McFrugal posted:

What if all your gear is vaaled already?

Vaal yourself in real life

Kurash
May 12, 2008

euphronius posted:

For new inquisitor just wondering why go through all the work to have a attack and spell hybrid build . The buffs aren’t that good

Because... it's unexplored and potentially exciting design space? There's 19 ascendancies, it's not like there was much compelling about what the inquisitor was doing before this.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

thehandtruck posted:

Well if you included gems and jewels it would take a pretty long time for everything to get vaaled and not brick. Though even bricked gems are usable generally, maybe in that case you'd vaal two.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

thehandtruck posted:

This league I'm doing a kind of self-imposed hardcore. When I rip I'm going to impose some penalty on my character that's harsh but not as harsh as deleting it. Do you guys have any ideas on this? I was thinking rolling a dice and deleting a piece of gear? Any ideas are welcome on this stupid thing I'm doing.

Cut off a finger every time you die.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Noper Q posted:

Trinity doesn't affect triggered spells (and a bunch of other auto-activated things like brands and totems). They really want you to use two different skills or something like Wild Strike that switches elements.

Dang it! Of course. Self cast discharge + that same setup sounds a lot less exciting.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thehandtruck posted:

If all pieces are vaaled then you start working backwards replacing everything with uncorrupted versions

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Papercut posted:

If all pieces are vaaled then you start working backwards replacing everything with uncorrupted versions

Yeah this seems reasonable. Once vaaling doesn't work as a death penalty you do that every death until everything is clean again. Then the vaal penalty is back in play.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Kalsco posted:

Yeah I felt very similarly when I started but earnestly there's so many systems going on that it will likely be unintuitive to the point where you will either immediately self sabotage or simply set yourself up later for a crash. Not that you can't course correct at any point, but there's a literal currency requirement that is nonzero especially for someone new.

I think it'll help your enjoyment of the game to follow a guide, mostly because a good build will give you the room to grow and not make you ragequit after you die to the final act boss after 23 deaths. It helped my own enjoyment after trying my own thing and sorta faceplanting, if you accept anecdotes as testimony.

Kalsco posted:

Thanks for your advice. I think I'm going to keep noodling around on my current character just so I don't get obsessed with chasing anything in particular and keep an open mind, then roll a new one for the upcoming league and maybe try to find an established build that fits what I have now, which I enjoy.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
hell yeah, title change

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Grimoire posted:

hell yeah, title change

And still no comedic sixer with a crab pob.
@ where is my crab pob sixerrrrr https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/217418509976731648/796320551928987698/unknown.png

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
After listening to a podcast covering the new content, I sincerely hope they put the ORB tag just to gently caress with people and it doesn't mean anything. That would be immensely funny to me.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Thinking about it, Blackflame seems to be just an alternative to EE.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to point out to any new/returning players in this thread that Rutibex speaks with absolute authority but his advice is absolute garbage. Ignore him. Don't feel free to, just straight up ignore him. Following his advice will lead to naught but frustration and a bad time. He is not a good poster. He is not a good player. Do not listen to his advice, and if you read his posts, just do the opposite of what he says. His advice, genuinely, will make you feel frustrated and not want to play more. Its literally that bad that the build he spent weeks not shutting up about hit an absolute brick wall in what amounts to part 4 of the tutorial for this game.

Dont let his overconfidence lead you astray.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

boo_radley posted:

I'd probably wait to see what the new Scion looks like considering all of the Ascendancies are at the very least getting touch-ups.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Is this really necessary? You could have communicated exactly the same thing without being outright nasty about it.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ubachung posted:

Is this really necessary?

Yes.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

ubachung posted:

Is this really necessary? You could have communicated exactly the same thing without being outright nasty about it.
it is. Miss Broccoli is providing a PSA to prevent harm to new players from the mind that brought you the following:

Rutibex posted:

You are utterly 100% wrong. I just got curses and the new hex system is Ultimate Power Incarnate. It is definitely not like a normal AOE screen clearing experience, but it is super satisfying to play. This is what hexing feels like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQD2w4HU3jw&t=75s

Rutibex posted:

I've taken hexes as far as I can go, but Malachai is a brick wall.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ubachung posted:

Vincent Valentine posted:

I've never done more than 6-7 challenges, but I really want that character effect. I know builds are super up in the air right now, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

My biggest problem, by far is that I randomly just pop. Like, I'll be doing fine, taking regular damage, then I just die nearly instantly. And then, since there's no death recap to find out what type of damage killed me, I get frustrated and log off. Generally around 75% into maps I'll have had enough and that's it for the league.

For this league I want to try something that's extremely survivable. If I can stave off the frustration of just randomly dying, I might be able to get those challenges done and get the effect before I burn out. I'm not too particular on what that build is, but if there's any way to do it with a Bane build that'd be cool.

Any ideas?

Rutibex posted:

oh sorry I guess I should have been more specific. Animated Weapon Supremacy :black101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhfLHnvhtPc

this thread has a reputation for being terrible and full of garbage. Its because of him.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Zmej posted:

it is. Miss Broccoli is providing a PSA to prevent harm to new players from the mind that brought you the following:

You missed the punchline: He thought Malachai was a brick wall because he didn't know that malachai had phases. Yup.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Miss Broccoli posted:

this thread has a reputation for being terrible and full of garbage. Its because of him.

Your relentless aggro posting, both here and in-game, does not help with this.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Lechtansi posted:

You missed the punchline: He thought Malachai was a brick wall because he didn't know that malachai had phases. Yup.
lmao ty for the reminder. kinda weird he didn't know that when he had quite a bit of time played

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
Hundrads of hours you say.....

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You can't blame me for Hexblast being bad, thats Chris Wilsons fault :colbert:

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STiL. posted:

Your relentless aggro posting, both here and in-game, does not help with this.

In game when I, check notes, call out people for posting about autogynephilia and trans women being men actually?

Is that the hill you want to die on? If you feel attacked by seeing someone get called out for being a rampant bigot, well.

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 10, 2021

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ubachung posted:

That's their shtick.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Please note: we are not making GBS threads on Rutibex because he is new or bad. If you are new or bad, please post and ask questions in this thread. We poo poo on Rutibex because he acts like gods gift to POE when he in fact knows nothing about the game.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

Miss Broccoli posted:

In game when I, check notes, call out people for posting about autogynephilia and trans women being men actually?

Is that the hill you want to die on?

They don't make chat a better place but, to be frank, neither do you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lechtansi posted:

Please note: we are not making GBS threads on Rutibex because he is new or bad. If you are new or bad, please post and ask questions in this thread. We poo poo on Rutibex because he acts like gods gift to POE when he in fact knows nothing about the game.

I know that I know nothing :negative:

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

STiL. posted:

They don't make chat a better place but, to be frank, neither do you.

To be frank, if you think that telling bigots to shut the gently caress up does not result in a better atmosphere, you are not worth listening to. Standards you walk past are the ones you accept STiL. Literally my only other chat in 5555 is asking questions about my build. The only agro posting there is that you could possibly be taking issue with is me telling the people who think its okay to post about autogynephilia, trans woman being men, and other such heavily bigoted garbage, to shut up. Really begs the question of why you think its unacceptable to tell extremely bigoted people that their drivel is not okay.

Rutibex is not worth listening to either, he is a player who makes the game worse for any new player who does not have the know how to distinguish his bad advice from the advice given by actual good players (which for the record is not me) because he posts in the exact same way they do despite not knowing a god drat thing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Let's talk about the video game Path of Exile. Not other posters.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I know that I know nothing :negative:

and yet you keep posting as if you don't

edit for content:

the new atlas stuff looks great but I do wish they would consolidate/simplify some stuff, there's just SO MUCH bookkeeping in the game now it's just totally opaque for new people

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Due to popular demand I'll be talking about melee leveling this time.
Melee is a whole lot of different from caster leveling, mostly due to needing new weapons every so often. As a caster you pick up a Driftwood Wand with the colours you need, often at lvl2, vendor recipe it at lvl20 and use that wand for the rest of the campaign.
Melee builds need regular weapon upgrades, which isn't the hardest thing in the world by itself, but they also need a lot of red sockets and keeping all your abilities slotted is as important as having an up-to-date weapon.
Your best friend for this is again a vendor recipe: Weapon + Blacksmith's Whetstone + Rustic Sash (magic or rare) will give you a magic weapon of the same base with 40-49% increased Physical Damage (magic Rustic Sash) or 50-64% increased Physical Damage (rare Rustic Sash). Essences of Contempt are also a great way to craft weapons, but much more RNG dependent.
Also important is what weapons you're going to use/craft on. Axes have the highest damage and best notables (Onslaught on Kill) and can be used with all the skills you want to use while leveling. You craft when you feel like your damage is lacking and you just got a new tier of axe base, but there are stand-outs: Boarding Axe at lvl11, Arming Axe (lvl26), Tomahawk (lvl39) and Siege Axe (lvl59). The first base you actually wanna craft on is usually a Cleaver (lvl16) though, since white Boarding Axes already bring enough power to easily get you through Act 1. Its a slower base, but generally the faster the base is, the better - Faster attack speed means higher QoL, faster movement from Leap Slam and better scaling with flat physical damage, of which you're trying to get as much as possible. Rare Rustic Sashes you'll get through Essences (mostly Woe, which is extremely useless for melee builds) and Rogue Exiles, but if you have nothing else and need the upgrade you can use an Alchemy. It also means that you can't sell your Whetstones for scrolls, unless you got loads (usually from Artisan's Strongboxes)
Another difference between the caster builds and these ones is War Banner. War Banner gives Accuracy and increases enemies physical damage taken, which is both good, but the real deal you'll get from activating it: Adrenaline, which is 100% increased damage, 25% increased attack speed and 10% physical damage reduction. The duration depends on the amount of stacks your War Banner has, so you can't use it all the time, but it gives you a big boost for boss fights or just generally when you feel like you need it. For bosses important is, that they usually have some damage reduction at the start of the fight, so don't blow your banner in the beginning. On Merveil for example, I usually wait for the first teleport in the 2nd phase. And don't forget to activate it again after the fight to regain the aura.
Another big power spike early are Iron Rings (and any other source of flat physical damage). Where caster builds can use resistance rings you'll have to deal with being a good deal more squishy, at least during A1/2. The added dps is well worth it though.

As you can see from the axe bases I'll be focusing on dual-wielding. Its lost a lot of power, both from losing the dual-wield more %physical damage and losing some viable leveling skills, which are now Slam skills that don't work as well with high attack speed setups anymore, but Bladestorm still reigns supreme and the question now mostly is "How do I get to 28 without losing my mind?"
Marauder and Duelist both have quite different available gems and starting passives, so I'll look at both separately:

Marauder:
Marauder suffers a bit more in the early game. The old progression of Ground Slam -> Sunder -> Bladestorm is a lot worse, since Sunder is now hot garbage and Ground Slam lost flat physical damage per level. You also can't use steel skills, since they don't scale with melee physical damage, which all the early Marauder passives give. It gets better in your 20s, when you get access to the very strong axe wheel, allowing you to drop Onslaught for a real damage support.
Early on you're looking for RRG, RR and as many R sockets as you can possibly fit.

Lvl 2: Pick up Ground Slam
Ground Slam - Ruthless
Lvl 4: Pick up Onslaught and Ancestral Protector
Buy Chance to Bleed, War Banner and Blood and Sand
Ground Slam - Chance to Bleed - Onslaught
Ancestral Protector - Ruthless
Lvl 8: Buy Dash
Buy Maim
Ancestral Protector - Maim
Dash is a lvl4 gem, but you won't have the Dexterity to use it until you pick up Versatility after getting lvl8 and doing Dweller
Lvl 10: Pick up Leap Slam
Buy Vitality
Don't over-level Vitality. The Marauder has not a lot of mana and Leap Slam is not cheap
Lvl 16: Pick up Flesh and Stone
Buy Blood Rage
Lvl 18: Pick up Faster Attacks
Buy Melee Physical Damage
Ground Slam - Melee Physical Damage - Onslaught
Leap Slam - Faster Attacks
Lvl 22: Buy Close Combat
Ground Slam - Melee Physical Damage - Close Combat
Lvl 24: Pick up Vulnerability
Lvl 28: Pick up Ancestral Warchief
Buy Bladestorm and Rage (Act 2)
Bladestorm - Rage - Close Combat - Melee Physical Damage
Ancestral Warchief - Maim
Drop Ancestral Protector and Ground Slam
You will need to have Flesh and Stone on a hotkey to quickly switch stances if needed. You will switch stances a lot, since it affects how Bladestorm works.
~lvl 32 Run Lab
Lvl 38: Pick up Brutality
Bladestorm - Rage - Close Combat - Brutality
A6 Pick up Fortify
Bladestorm - Rage - Close Combat - Fortify

From this point on you're good to go till maps. Keep your weapons upgraded, add spare supports to your Ancestral Warchief if you have the links and try to get used to the very fast paced playstyle of Bladestorm/Close Combat/Leap Slam/Stance Dance. If you're feeling comfortable with your mana you can add Maim to Flesh and Stone, opening up another link for your Warchief, but I wouldn't count on it.

Duelist
Duelist has somewhat smoother leveling. Steel skills are a great addition to the leveling arsenal and you have access to more early attack speed increases.
You're looking for GGR, RR and as many R sockets as you can find.

Lvl 2: Pick up Splitting Steel
Splitting Steel - Chance to Bleed
Lvl 4: Pick up Onslaught, Ancestral Protector and Dash
Buy War Banner
Splitting Steel - Onslaught - Chance to Bleed
Lvl 8: Pick up Maim
Ancestral Protector - Maim
Lvl 10: Pick up Leap Slam
Buy Vitality
Don't over-level Vitality. The Duelist has not a lot of mana and Leap Slam is not cheap
Lvl 12: Pick up Shattering Steel
Shattering Steel - Onslaught - Chance to Bleed
Shattering Steel uses 2 Steel Shards per skill use, use Call of Steel often so you don't run out
Drop Splitting Steel
Lvl 16: Pick up Flesh and Stone
Buy Blood Rage
Lvl 18: Pick up Faster Attacks
Buy Vicious Projectiles IF you have a GGG somewhere
Shattering Steel - Onslaught - Vicious Projectiles
Leap Slam - Faster Attacks
Lvl 24: Pick up Vulnerability
Lvl 28: Pick up Bladestorm
Buy Ancestral Warchief, Rage (Act 2) and Close Combat (Act 2)
Bladestorm - Close Combat - Rage - Onslaught
Ancestral Warchief - Maim
Drop Shattering Steel and Ancestral Protector
You will need to have Flesh and Stone on a hotkey to quickly switch stances if needed. You will switch stances a lot, since it affects how Bladestorm works.
~Lvl 32: Run Lab
Champion Master of Metal means that you have to start scaling Impale. You will have to run Library to pick up the Impale support.
Pick up Impale
Buy Dread Banner (Act 3)
Drop War Banner
Bladestorm - Impale - Close Combat - Rage
Gladiator/Slayer No need to get Impale means you can skip Library, but you'll still drop Onslaught since your attack speed by now is high enough that Onslaught isn't worth wasting a main link
Bladestorm - Close Combat - Rage - Melee Physical Damage
Replace Melee Physical Damage with Brutality at lvl38 and Fortify once you get to A6.

From this point on you're good to go till maps. Keep your weapons upgraded, add spare supports to your Ancestral Warchief if you have the links and try to get used to the very fast paced playstyle of Bladestorm/Close Combat/Leap Slam/Stance Dance. If you're feeling comfortable with your mana you can add Blood and Sand and/or add Maim to Flesh and Stone, opening up another link for your Warchief, but I wouldn't count on it.

Some more leveling builds:
Marauder
Duelist
Both builds assume that you help Alira. As I said above, Leap Slam is mana hungry. If you want to kill all thats ok too, but I'd keep using 2 Mana Flasks till you get used to not running out of mana/flask charges.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just waiting till the week after the season releases...

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
How did Crackling Lance end up being? Not sure if I'm going to play this league because I've got a bunch of other poo poo in my queue, but CL looks dope as hell. Are there good builds for it?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Just waiting till the week after the season releases...

That tiny man is pushing a giant :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arrhythmia posted:

That tiny man is pushing a giant :stare:

That's the server reset moving kitava back to starting positions.