Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Miwachan DLC when

In the secret, and totally real Miwako DLC mega battle pack: what kind of Sentinel does she get? Probably something with shields and/or repair would be the most thematically appropriate, but to be honest it might be fun to see her flying over and Leg Spiking some fools. What about pilot abilities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
gently caress, all this Miwako discussion made me realize (ENDGAME SPOILERS)that she has a crush on Gouto and Shu because they’re clones of the same guy, goddamn this game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

gently caress, all this Miwako discussion made me realize (ENDGAME SPOILERS)that she has a crush on Gouto and Shu because they’re clones of the same guy, goddamn this game.

It is Shu and Ida who are the same.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It is Shu and Ida who are the same.

am I remembering wrong or misunderstanding the plot, because I know that Shu and Ida were the same but also I thought that Gouto was the same too since some parts of the story allude to it (again, could be remembering wrong, finished this game right before starting LAD), there’s a mention that Shu (or Ida) used to be a studious serious young man before dying his hair, and that Gotou’s voice cracks and sounds like Shu near the end of his story

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

am I remembering wrong or misunderstanding the plot, because I know that Shu and Ida were the same but also I thought that Gouto was the same too since some parts of the story allude to it (again, could be remembering wrong, finished this game right before starting LAD), there’s a mention that Shu (or Ida) used to be a studious serious young man before dying his hair, and that Gotou’s voice cracks and sounds like Shu near the end of his story

They are two different people.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

That would make no sense. The only extras are people who did a loop, and are therefore much older as they continued to age. The extras are all now purely AI and have no bodies attached. There's no mechanism for Gouto and Ida to be the same person. Where would he have come from? Gouto and Amiguchi were both in mechs at the same time. They both had real world bodies waiting for them. So it's literally impossible for them to be the same.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I can't wait to eventually read this CIA Document thread. Anyhow, I got a theory. IDK who can even read it outside of folks who've finished it, but still, I think someone will get a kick out of it if it's super wrong:

I think time travel proper is "gone" after the start of teh game, specifically, the city in the years 1945, 1985, and 2025 aren't real. They're more like domes floating in space that host some of the last humans (or a bunch of robots that think are humans). Hence why BJ/Miura can so easily travel between them in running girl's story.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

MorningMoon posted:

I can't wait to eventually read this CIA Document thread. Anyhow, I got a theory. IDK who can even read it outside of folks who've finished it, but still, I think someone will get a kick out of it if it's super wrong:

I think time travel proper is "gone" after the start of teh game, specifically, the city in the years 1945, 1985, and 2025 aren't real. They're more like domes floating in space that host some of the last humans (or a bunch of robots that think are humans). Hence why BJ/Miura can so easily travel between them in running girl's story.

:munch:

Play the game and keep giving us reactions.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I finished this up tonight and I enjoyed this game so much. I also thought that the English voice cast did a great job and really added to the experience.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

I finished this up tonight and I enjoyed this game so much. I also thought that the English voice cast did a great job and really added to the experience.

Very much agree with the good english dub. For example finding out Ei was voiced by Kyle McCarley did a lot to explain why I found a particular part of his performance so memorable (endgame spoilers) when his original self was closing in on Morimura to finish the job..

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

:munch:

Play the game and keep giving us reactions.

IM SO loving SMAAAART

Also
Kaiji Tang's character: absolute bi disaster oh my god you punched a dude out for them and got cbt'd on a chair

Wait a second this isnt high sci fi, this isnjust a remake kf the "no youre the demons" doom fanfic

Also posting quick reactions ln a twitter thread. I hate the smug anime girl.
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1347403749149519872?s=19

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 8, 2021

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Hunt11 posted:

Very much agree with the good english dub. For example finding out Ei was voiced by Kyle McCarley did a lot to explain why I found a particular part of his performance so memorable (endgame spoilers) when his original self was closing in on Morimura to finish the job..

For me the scenes between Veronica Taylor's Tsukasa Okino and Kaiji Tang's Hijiyama were some of the highlights of the game and I always looked forward to choosing Hijiyama on the character select screen.

Cassandra Lee Morris as Kisahagi was another favourite.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

Also posting quick reactions ln a twitter thread. I hate the smug anime girl.
https://twitter.com/morningmoonmeme/status/1347403749149519872?s=19

Ah, 48% you say?

It does feel like from that point things start careening towards the finale, so it's not unreasonable to think you've got things figured out by then. This impression is, of course, one the game deliberately cultivates.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Starsnostars posted:

For me the scenes between Veronica Taylor's Tsukasa Okino and Kaiji Tang's Hijiyama were some of the highlights of the game and I always looked forward to choosing Hijiyama on the character select screen.

I didn't know this and I will never see Okino the same now I know that they're also Manuela Casagranda :stonk:
(she did a great job, Okino is one of my favourite characters)

Zach Aguilar as Miura was my surprise standout of the English voice cast, especially compared to his very confident, adult-sounding JP voice. Erica Mendez was perfect as Minami too.

e: also gotta mention Billy Kametz's just the right mix of doofy and sweet Ogata. What a tough guy :3:

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 8, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Manuela nothing, that's Ash loving Ketchum

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
For me it’s just super hilarious as a Slayers fan, tbh.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That too!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Dodging all the black bars to say this is GOLY

Game of last year

It's so good

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

So i've maxed out every story you can from after doing the first wave of the first city, a few folks are past the 80% mark, even. Well, all but Iori Fuyusaka. I guess the factions are Ida and his men in black just doing poo poo sorta within the cycle with the ultimate goal of a doover because he's a sick bastard that wants Tomi back. 426 working as characters that not everyone can see in order to try and ruin everything (possibly Ei Sekigahara's contact). And Morimura who is trying to get Project Aegis going while allying herself with Shikishima to do so. It's possible the real Gouta(? hard to keep people straight, Nenji's dad 2188 with the huge beard) is Ei's contact, too.
426 is the one responsible for having everyone battle ready this time, which seems like a possible positive. As it is, I wouldn't be too shocked if Ida and Morimura are more evil than him. Goddamn so much real estate.

Hahah, i also have a week off work now because work sucks and i'm getting lost in the shuffle of restructuring/reducing hours in general, so I'm probably gonna make a bunch of edits and post them here.

did all of fuyusaka and started working through combat again. Felt good to have massive money for everything. Pumped up everyone's movelist and the tower stuff.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 9, 2021

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Finished this game last night along with getting the plat trophy. I really came to appreciate the Destruction part of the game in the later levels when they became these very cinematic fights for survival where I was really counting on every characters strengths and really seeing them pushed to their limits, although I grinded up a bit for the last few fights by going through them a second time over so the events and dialogue had a bit more context the second time around as well.

Checking back afterwards I noticed I only got a D rank on the final fight, and I really can't imagine how much I would have to grind and perfectly understand this game to get an S rank for it. The ending was really exciting and I would love for Vanillaware to revisit this type of gameplay in the future.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I mean I honesty love the tactical map style of gameplay, I can't imagine if they decided to make a game that was all just... that with their art style really being able to focus on it

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
There’s no way you’d be able to keep track of the big battles fully rendered, but man I loved hosing missiles out of the sky, tackle charging to an rpf or something and demolished-blade one shot while humming Cruel Angel’s Thesis to myself.

I loved how tied up every little thing gets, right down to why different characters have their sentinel activator on different spots.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't played in about a month, I fell off about the mid way point. Wonder how lost I'll be if I try to go back in lol

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TheCenturion posted:

There’s no way you’d be able to keep track of the big battles fully rendered, but man I loved hosing missiles out of the sky, tackle charging to an rpf or something and demolished-blade one shot while humming Cruel Angel’s Thesis to myself.

I mean it doesn't have to be the exact same battle system, I'd just love to see them do that style of game

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not typically one to excuse this sort of thing, but honestly the game briefly struggling (PS4 slim) under such a massive amount of missiles, kaiju and all the related math in those moments I thought I was about to lose just added to the drama.

I think 13 Sentinels wraps up things so well because it resolves meaningful things fairly quickly after they're introduced and puts them in the thought cloud straight away where they become reminders and often pieces of the bigger picture that mostly will be needed again later. The game is very focused on moving forward.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah it's a genuinely very well crafted ensemble story considering the complexity of their ambitions, even taking into account the plotlines they clearly had to drop due to budget issues.

The contrast with, say, Octopath Traveler is pretty stark.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
A lot of visual novels try to do complexity and fail utterly. This game makes it look easy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it shouldn't because it definitely wasn't easy for them. it took them six years to make and was apparently a struggle for that entire duration

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

lets hang out posted:

it shouldn't because it definitely wasn't easy for them. it took them six years to make and was apparently a struggle for that entire duration

Oh I know, it's just amazing that the various plot threads and connections are so well done.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I was in the shower and I suddenly had an epiphany

Spoilers, obviously: https://i.imgur.com/LRNdKsH.jpg

At the point i'm at the cat isn't Confirmed to be Izumi/426, but come on, has to be some form of that guy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MorningMoon posted:

I was in the shower and I suddenly had an epiphany

Spoilers, obviously: https://i.imgur.com/LRNdKsH.jpg

At the point i'm at the cat isn't Confirmed to be Izumi/426, but come on, has to be some form of that guy.

lmao

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

By the way congrats to the Something Awful number 4 game of the year

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

It was indeed delicious. However I think on the whole, yakisoba pan wins. Debate solved!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

eating only apples posted:

It was indeed delicious. However I think on the whole, yakisoba pan wins. Debate solved!

Would you say he overestimated his hemborger, my friend?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I have found out the truth of D-Code.

I am yelling. I can't.

Yoooo Hijiyama 2188's tits are HUGE.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 10, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
looking back, one brief digression i really appreciated was when okino scoffed at the ship-of-theseus dilemma regarding his identity after he rebooted himself from DD-426, basically saying that he was no less "himself" compared to who he was pre-infection than, for example, himself ten years ago. a lot of transhumanist discourse about the nature of identity falls flat for me because it tries to set this up as a genuine problem (looking hard at you, SOMA) and it was refreshing to see the game's designated Smart Guy go "lol no" at it

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
If this ever going to come out on PC?

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

magicalmako posted:

If this ever going to come out on PC?

short answer: no

long answer: the persona 4 port means anything atlus is theoretically on the table

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The only Vanillaware game that's ever been on PC so far was some MMO thing they were somehow involved with, which doesn't exist anymore

But it'd be cool! Games being available on more platforms is always a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

A musing as i work throughthe bulk of gouto's story totes forgot that 426 shot like r kids lol. He's been painted very heroically in many folk's endings... Maybe this small Chihiro is behind that murder? Wondering who she could be now...