Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Owlboy is by the same guy, I think, but struck people as kind of mean? I never got around to playing it myself.

Nah, Owlboy is unrelated, made by a six person studio. And yeah Iconoclasts and Owlboy share a few similarities, theyre both high-bit story focused linear metroidvanias with a few flaws, but the key difference is Iconoclasts actually cohesive enough to stick the landing alright. If video games were pies, Iconoclasts is a pie with a decent, good tasting filling, but maybe the crust is kind of hard and weirdly thick and it throws off the mouth feel. Owlboy is a pie of seemingly similar composition, but then five bites in the chef rushes out of the kitchen and slaps the entire pie onto your pants at which point you can keep eating it off of your crotch if you want but the experience stays at that level and doesn't get any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Huxley posted:

Is the Hori splitpad pro the best version of that type of thing?

Yes.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Does the splitpad have a thing to connect them to act like a regular controller?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Inzombiac posted:

Does the splitpad have a thing to connect them to act like a regular controller?

Yes. You can’t use it in docked mode.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

From my understanding they have no batteries and can only be handheld

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m unreasonably excited to buy a game I bought and 100%ed 7 years ago next month. I don’t even care if the Bowser’s Fury stuff is that substantial.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m unreasonably excited to buy a game I bought and 100%ed 7 years ago next month. I don’t even care if the Bowser’s Fury stuff is that substantial.

I never played 3D World, but I'm definitely looking forward to it! Been playing Sunshine lately, and I have to say it might be the most unfun 3D Mario game I've ever played. Just more frustrating than anything else, trying to get certain shines.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Lately in Animal Crossing, my character stops running and just starts walking really slow. Is this a snow thing or are my joycons dying?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Lately in Animal Crossing, my character stops running and just starts walking really slow. Is this a snow thing or are my joycons dying?

Sounds like a joycon problem.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Well after doing the Great Ikazuchi quest I can safely say Monster Hunter Rise isn't for me. There's too much poo poo going on, everything is needlessly complicated, and it's just hard to keep track of anything. I would say I'll just stick with 3U but...swimming quests are the worst, so I'll just remember the good times I had with Monster Hunter and leave it to the die hard fans.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t know how you can say it’s needlessly complicated compared to 3U. It’s pretty much the same but with better movement and no segmented map.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

rise and world are literally monumentally easier to get into than any of the previous games. this isn't even subjective.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played a MH game before and that first tutorial mission did little to alleviate my confusion. Seems like a billion systems going on all at once and since the combat in that one was just watch your doggo fight for you then you mash the attack button once and it's over, I really don't feel like I learned much

The menus also seem numerous and confusing. Not super impressed so far but I realize it's just the first tutorial

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Yeah there's a lot going on but it's honestly really low-key stuff in the back of your brain rather than know-this-poo poo-ya-dingus. The monsters are the stars, and everything is built around letting them shine.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
As someone who abhors video guides, Monster Hunter and its weapons' moves and latent abilities are something that are best told by someone else, 'cause the game sadly doesn't tell you poo poo about that.

So what I would recommend is to look at basic weapon tutorial videos--either in World, or Rise when it comes out, and see if any of them appeal to you. If so, use basic hunts to get more acquainted with the weapon. If you like it, stick with it, keep doing easy hunts to get better at it--like learning better balance on a bike. Once you become more fluid with a weapon you stop thinking about it as much, and thats how you can better focus on the peripheral stuff.

Also it is actually quite easy enough to just "Attack attack attack!" until you win, where the most you have to worry about is health, sharpness, and maybe stamina depending on your weapon type. Other than that, all you have to do is "Hit monster, don't get hit" until you win. There are plenty of other things that makes MonHun a deep, complex, and immensely rewarding game, but don't feel like you have to emboss yourself with every system in order to enjoy it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Too lazy to google it myself, have they said if I get a private room that I can decorate with wildlife? Because that was the best part of World

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t know how you can say it’s needlessly complicated compared to 3U. It’s pretty much the same but with better movement and no segmented map.

There's much more button combos that I have to deal with and the menu is unwieldy. I've wasted at least six potions just trying to choose something in the goddamn item menu because I keep accidentally pressing the "use item" button. There's also dog commands and the loving wirebug thing, and also a silkbug thing? And there's riding monsters which I already said I think is absolutely terrible and the worst thing in the game. And I still can't figure out how to charge my goddamn hammer when it was one button in the 3U, this one I probably have to press like two shoulder buttons and then a face button or some poo poo. I can't even figure out how to pause the game! Pausing the game should be the easiest loving thing to do and I can't figure out how to do it! And I do not accept "Press the home button" as an answer.

It's just needlessly complicated, like I said. I fully admit I'm dumb but I can only remember so many things. This is why I never got into fighting games either.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Them putting "waste items" on Y definitely got me over and over as well

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I think monster riding kicks rear end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

It's so easy to do

At least they kept the auto crafting from world so you pick up herbs and they automatically become potions

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Twelve by Pies posted:

There's much more button combos that I have to deal with and the menu is unwieldy. I've wasted at least six potions just trying to choose something in the goddamn item menu because I keep accidentally pressing the "use item" button. There's also dog commands and the loving wirebug thing, and also a silkbug thing? And there's riding monsters which I already said I think is absolutely terrible and the worst thing in the game. And I still can't figure out how to charge my goddamn hammer when it was one button in the 3U, this one I probably have to press like two shoulder buttons and then a face button or some poo poo. I can't even figure out how to pause the game! Pausing the game should be the easiest loving thing to do and I can't figure out how to do it! And I do not accept "Press the home button" as an answer.

It's just needlessly complicated, like I said. I fully admit I'm dumb but I can only remember so many things. This is why I never got into fighting games either.

-You only have to remember dog commands when riding the dog AFAIK? And you can just Not Do That, you don't have to bring a dog and can replace him with a cat, or nothing
-The wirebug and ironsilk are the same thing, the bug has silk, you hit the monster with special moves to gently caress 'em up, done
-Fair to not like the monster riding, but it's been in every game since 3U in different forms, and it's not really confusing
-Charging your drat hammer has been the same controls in all MH games, it's still one button and it's the same button
-Pausing the game is done the same way it was in 3U, you open up the block of menus and one of the the options is 'Pause Game,' yes it's weird but it's the same way it was in the game you're saying was way simpler

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

The Bloop posted:

you can just, like. not push the button

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bleck posted:

Why didn't I think of that???

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Bleck posted:

It feels like a radical change that you can just suddenly chug potions when you don't need them? Unless I somehow forgot that from the handheld games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/2021/get-ready-for-a-mushroom-kingdom-themed-splatfest/

Impossibly they found another splatfest!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

John Lee posted:

-You only have to remember dog commands when riding the dog AFAIK? And you can just Not Do That, you don't have to bring a dog and can replace him with a cat, or nothing

There's like a whole menu with commands like "pet" and "sic" or whatever and I brought it up accidentally once but hell if I can tell you how.

quote:

-Fair to not like the monster riding, but it's been in every game since 3U in different forms, and it's not really confusing

It was to me because the game kept telling me "Do an evade!" and I kept doing an evade for about two minutes and wondered if the demo was bugged because it wasn't marking it as completed, until I realized there's two different evades and I was doing the wrong one. Also I'm completely unsure if attacking only works when you're moving or not, because I remember the game saying "Attack this other monster!" and I kept trying but it seems like it didn't work about half the time. I also have no idea what pressing X + A when your meter is full does because I did it and all that happened is I fell off the bear and the game went "Congrats you did it!" and ended the tutorial and it just left me confused.

Also holding a button just to move is loving stupid. Why do I have to hold R? Just let me use the stick like when I'm not on a monster!

quote:

-Charging your drat hammer has been the same controls in all MH games, it's still one button and it's the same button

Doesn't seem like it to me. R makes you dash and L causes you to fumble awkwardly with the item menu. As far as I can remember from 3U charging the hammer was holding the R button.

SeANMcBAY posted:

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I think monster riding kicks rear end.

Hey no worries. I'm perfectly willing to admit that it's probably just one of those things that isn't for me, especially since everyone else seems to love it. And I hope they enjoy it! It's definitely a nice looking game, and combat does seem to be a little more friendly. At least, I was able to dodge cancel out of some lengthy animations in the demo that it feels like I probably couldn't have dodged out of in 3U, which definitely makes the hammer a lot easier to handle.

I have plenty of games to keep me occupied without Monster Hunter anyway. Still going through World of Final Fantasy (I think I'm in the final dungeon though), and after that I have Bug Fables downloaded, as well as a copy of Dragon Quest Builders 2. And I never did finish Digimon Cyber Sleuth or Mario + Rabbids.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Oh yeah, Twelve by Pies, the item bar is the exact same as it was in 3U as well, with the optional addition of a radial item wheel I don't really like using, and IMO should have the settings changed to require a click of the right stick to be good, but that's neither here nor there.

edit: The fact that you replied as I was posting this made it come across as more aggressive than I intended; I might be snotty, but I'm not trying to be lovely, if you see the difference. Anyways, if you're not feelin' it for any reason, that's cool and you do you, I just think things have gotten only marginally more complex since 3U, so it's a weird complaint.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 10, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Morter posted:

It feels like a radical change that you can just suddenly chug potions when you don't need them? Unless I somehow forgot that from the handheld games.

Not being able to drink potions at full health was something World added, yeah.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Bleck posted:

*burly flex*

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Bleck posted:

Ah goddamn it. It's been too long, then. That said, I don't remember having that problem in the old games. But I'm certain there's a way to start hunts without Potions highlighted so my clumsy 'item use' button pressing won't be as punishing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

John Lee posted:

Anyways, if you're not feelin' it for any reason, that's cool and you do you, I just think things have gotten only marginally more complex since 3U, so it's a weird complaint.

To be fair, it has been like six or seven years since I played 3U and that's practically a lifetime ago. :v: Mostly the things that are throwing me are: the addition of the dog/cat since I only played single player in 3U. I remember there was a little mask dude who'd come with you on missions? Maybe? But he was pretty different from the dog/cat which are all up in the enemy's faces and make it difficult for me to keep track of what's going on sometimes. Riding monsters also definitely wasn't in 3U, nor the wire/silk bug things which just feel unnecessary and complicated to me since they end up as "another meter to keep track of" in addition to the three you already needed to watch.

Also the bugs feel complicated. I know that really they're not, they just provide a small buff to stats for a bit (or maybe permanently for some?), but they're everywhere it makes the game feel...I dunno, crowded? Like 3U to me felt a bit more open and almost lonely to an extent, searching out resource points and going "Oh neat here's a thing" when I found one, whereas this feels like "Here's fifty different things on the way to the monster." It also doesn't help I don't know what some do. I found a small cave with some bugs and they kept saying +10 when I grabbed them but I don't know what they were increasing. I assume they were good but I generally don't like just grabbing things in games and going "Well I don't know what this does but it's helping me."

And I know these seem like weird and minor complaints and some of them can even be solved by "Just ignore it" like the other poster mentioned not having to bring a dog, but for whatever reason my brain just can't get over them. Especially since I feel like some things (like monster riding) probably can't just be ignored and they'll be required to do or unlock certain things much later.

e: Not a real complaint and I was fine with it in 3U but I'll still never get over the fact that you need to sharpen the hammer. Wouldn't want the hammer to get dull, after all. You already can't block when you're using the hammer so I feel like not having to sharpen it either would be a fair trade but eh. It's just silly to me, and funny.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Morter posted:

Ah goddamn it. It's been too long, then. That said, I don't remember having that problem in the old games. But I'm certain there's a way to start hunts without Potions highlighted so my clumsy 'item use' button pressing won't be as punishing.

My habit is to memorize the order of the items in the belt, so I know how many times I have to press A/Y to get to whatever item from the empty slot. Then during the animation of using that item, I scroll back to the empty slot.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not a real complaint and I was fine with it in 3U but I'll still never get over the fact that you need to sharpen the hammer. Wouldn't want the hammer to get dull, after all.

Blunt weapons tend to have rounded edges to prevent the weapon from becoming lodged into targets, or to prevent glancing blows that may surprise the wielder in ways that cause them to lose their grip. "Sharpening" the hammer is probably just polishing/buffing out dents.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It's OK to take a sec at the start of a hunt to prepare your mise en place.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

To be fair, it has been like six or seven years since I played 3U and that's practically a lifetime ago. :v: Mostly the things that are throwing me are: the addition of the dog/cat since I only played single player in 3U. I remember there was a little mask dude who'd come with you on missions? Maybe? But he was pretty different from the dog/cat which are all up in the enemy's faces and make it difficult for me to keep track of what's going on sometimes. Riding monsters also definitely wasn't in 3U, nor the wire/silk bug things which just feel unnecessary and complicated to me since they end up as "another meter to keep track of" in addition to the three you already needed to watch.

Also the bugs feel complicated. I know that really they're not, they just provide a small buff to stats for a bit (or maybe permanently for some?), but they're everywhere it makes the game feel...I dunno, crowded? Like 3U to me felt a bit more open and almost lonely to an extent, searching out resource points and going "Oh neat here's a thing" when I found one, whereas this feels like "Here's fifty different things on the way to the monster." It also doesn't help I don't know what some do. I found a small cave with some bugs and they kept saying +10 when I grabbed them but I don't know what they were increasing. I assume they were good but I generally don't like just grabbing things in games and going "Well I don't know what this does but it's helping me."

And I know these seem like weird and minor complaints and some of them can even be solved by "Just ignore it" like the other poster mentioned not having to bring a dog, but for whatever reason my brain just can't get over them. Especially since I feel like some things (like monster riding) probably can't just be ignored and they'll be required to do or unlock certain things much later.

e: Not a real complaint and I was fine with it in 3U but I'll still never get over the fact that you need to sharpen the hammer. Wouldn't want the hammer to get dull, after all. You already can't block when you're using the hammer so I feel like not having to sharpen it either would be a fair trade but eh. It's just silly to me, and funny.

If the other games are anything to be believed, monster riding probably won't be necessary? Maybe a few times in the game they'll want you to run a monster off a cliff or something, but that's pure speculation and I don't remember anything like it in the other games where riding was featured. It was common to have players who specialized in monster riding, like pro rodeo types with riding-related skills, and other people who didn't get into it at all. I don't actually remember because I didn't specifically check, but I think any aerial attack can get you to start riding, so probably know HOW, in a very general sense, in case that happens? But otherwise don't worry about it until you want to.

Re: the little bugs-and-things sprinkled around: I think the idea is that Monster Hunter has always been about preparation and making use of the environment to hunt these big-rear end birds or whatever. Gathering items in the field to craft more potions or whatever, dropping rocks on monsters, that kind of thing. But a lot of the environmental stuff was about knowing where the one or two things in the map were to gently caress with monsters. So now there's more places where that can happen, and ALSO little flora and fauna that you can poke for various effects, like Flashbugs are stationary flash bombs you can lure monsters to, and Vigorwasps are healing bugs. It's neat, but it's not supposed to be overwhelming; I think the only unclear thing is the hummingbirds, which they didn't go into SUPER well, but you can increase your max health or stamina a little with them, and I think something else. I assume it'll be more clear in the full game.

And yes, sharpening the hammer is silly, especially since you're very obviously sharpening the handle.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Gotta keep the handle well sanded or you get splinters.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

Gotta keep the handle well sanded or you get splinters.

This is the only way that sharpening the handle/body of the hunting horn makes sense.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I kept chugging potions and throwing daggers in the demo and I can't tell if that's because stuff is slightly different between the controls of this and World or if I just lost all muscle memory since I haven't touched World since the chocobo event came to PC. Probably didn't help that I played handheld mode and I probably need new glasses so I can see the menus better.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
gently caress, totally forgot to download the Rise demo all weekend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

As someone who jumped in to MH with World - Rise seems extremely good. I did not expect them to make a Switch game that looks and feels like this honestly (World ran at sub-30 fps on the PS4)

The changes they are making seem cool, having the game on handheld and playing with friends in the same room seems cool, but I am both struggling at how tiny everything is on a handheld screen along with how awkward the controls feel in handheld mode, where I think I'll mostly be playing it. I'm sure I'll adjust