Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never back up my computers cuz I'm a idiot but I decided to set up Time Machine; do I have to devote a whole drive to Time Machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yes

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that sucks, although I learned I can volume the drive through disk utility and use it that way too...not sure if that's gunna hurt in the end or not

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve only just started using TM again after having not used it for four or five years and to be honest I’m not sure if I’ll bother, there’s nothing important stored locally on my machines any more anyway.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’ve only just started using TM again after having not used it for four or five years and to be honest I’m not sure if I’ll bother, there’s nothing important stored locally on my machines any more anyway.

kind of how I feel, not really much I need to backup anymore between google drive & GitHub

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Empress Brosephine posted:

that sucks, although I learned I can volume the drive through disk utility and use it that way too...not sure if that's gunna hurt in the end or not

I have an external drive that I have partitioned partially for additional storage and partially for TM. It has been working fine.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
I started using my iPad as an AirPlay display, and it works surprisingly well, but is there any way to disable the pseudo touchbar and weird sidebar that are taking up screen real estate on it?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fleedar posted:

I started using my iPad as an AirPlay display, and it works surprisingly well, but is there any way to disable the pseudo touchbar and weird sidebar that are taking up screen real estate on it?

Yes there is. It’s in the settings there when you airplay it.

I just did it last night on my MBP.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have they made the airplay a second monitor any better? I remember it was almost useless wirelessly and you had it directly connected via a wire to be any good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It works well enough for discord IMO

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Overcast if you like podcasts, MyNoise if you want more erudite commentary than what can be delivered in a podcast

Overcast has had a web app for a while :reject:

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Yes there is. It’s in the settings there when you airplay it.

I just did it last night on my MBP.

Thanks! I was looking everywhere in the AirPlay and display settings. Took me awhile to find the separate sidecar settings.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Have they made the airplay a second monitor any better? I remember it was almost useless wirelessly and you had it directly connected via a wire to be any good

It works good enough as long as you aren't putting a ton of motion on it. I've had my MBP bounce off of my wifi a couple of times with its up and I kinda suspect airplay is the cause.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

beefnoodle posted:

Oh My Zsh is pretty awesome though, and you can ignore/overule the theming.
I know this from the last page, but while Oh My Zsh is a great "Welcome to ZSH" shell, Spaceship prompt is where it's at: https://denysdovhan.com/spaceship-prompt/

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

nexxai posted:

I know this from the last page, but while Oh My Zsh is a great "Welcome to ZSH" shell, Spaceship prompt is where it's at: https://denysdovhan.com/spaceship-prompt/

Isn’t that just a theme though? Or has it added more features?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

beefnoodle posted:

Isn’t that just a theme though? Or has it added more features?
Nope, it's its own thing. It supports way more "things" (like which git branch or terraform workspace you're in) than any Oh My ZSH theme I've found. Plus I just think it looks better.

EDIT: Sorry, you're right. I confused it with https://starship.rs/ which is basically Spaceship on its own and supports bash, zsh, PowerShell and some other shells as well.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 10, 2021

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It’s just way to advanced for what I needed to do. I managed to customise my prompt and set up a YouTube-dl alias and that’s good enough for me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:blastu: OpenEmu is now at v.2.3.3

Minor update (thats why only one emoji) but it fixes a crash with Big Sur.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I asked in the HW thread but I didn’t get a reply so maybe it’s more of a SW thing. Is there a way to increase the size of the right click area? Like I want half the pad to register not just the 1/3 it is now.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
You can't customize that region in the system prefs and BetterTouchTool doesn't have defined regions for taps on the trackpad (yet). You should probably start learning how to two-finger tap/click (or use ctrl-click).

BTT's "left corner" and "right corner" might be larger than the system one, but I'm not sure.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

You can't customize that region in the system prefs and BetterTouchTool doesn't have defined regions for taps on the trackpad (yet). You should probably start learning how to two-finger tap/click (or use ctrl-click).

BTT's "left corner" and "right corner" might be larger than the system one, but I'm not sure.

Balls.

I know that two finger taps are the best option but I seem to always mess them up for some reason. This is very evident in games.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I would at least give BTT's corner tap options a shot. You might find other options in it that could be helpful.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

MarcusSA posted:

Balls.

I know that two finger taps are the best option but I seem to always mess them up for some reason. This is very evident in games.
You can two finger click as well for a right click.

E: alternatively, try the tried and true ctrl+click for a right click.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mercurius posted:

You can two finger click as well for a right click.

E: alternatively, try the tried and true ctrl+click for a right click.

I’m gonna play around with it a bit. I think what’s getting me is the muscle memory coming from a 2013 with a smaller pad and this new machine having a huge track pad.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone use the CLI for Transmission?

I seem to have upset it, as no matter what I try it's refusing to change the download folder. I've tried using (transmission-daemon --download-dir) and (transmission-daemon --dump-settings) to confirm and it looks correct. But when I try to download something it goes to a different folder entirely.

The JSON also looks correct and I've used that to edit incomplete-dir and incomplete-dir-enabled as well but that doesn't seem to affect things.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This post might be useful for anyone interested in using a Linux VM on M1 Macs:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1473419

MarcusSA posted:

Ok I think this is gonna make me go crazy. Screen time is obviously messed up and reporting use even if the app is just open and the Mac is sleeping but why is it showing Twitter as the most used app when it’s not even installed??

I 100% never installed it or logged into Twitter on this machine. The use stats are from this machine only so it’s not getting the number from my phone or something.

I just checked the activity monitor and it doesn’t show Twitter on the list.
Could be something weird like counting twitter.com connections, which is probably embedded somewhere on one of your tabs, that's the best explanation I could think of for it being the same amount of time as Safari. Course by that logic Facebook and whatever sites w/apps and embedded code everywhere should show up too so who knows :iiam:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

japtor posted:

This post might be useful for anyone interested in using a Linux VM on M1 Macs:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1473419

Could be something weird like counting twitter.com connections, which is probably embedded somewhere on one of your tabs, that's the best explanation I could think of for it being the same amount of time as Safari. Course by that logic Facebook and whatever sites w/apps and embedded code everywhere should show up too so who knows :iiam:

Who knows really.

Someone in the iOS thread had the exact same issue with Twitter though. Screen time was reporting 100% Twitter use lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

what is the best screen management app for big Sur/catalina and the M1's? I'm talking an app that can let you section off the screen into fourths or thirds or whatever. Preferable cheap, but quality matters more.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't use it for that purpose but I believe that's a part of BetterTouchTool, which is pretty robust in terms of features.

Violator
May 15, 2003

LionArcher posted:

what is the best screen management app for big Sur/catalina and the M1's? I'm talking an app that can let you section off the screen into fourths or thirds or whatever. Preferable cheap, but quality matters more.

I recently started using Mosaic Pro and absolutely love it. Has a ton of options, you can create a bunch of different templates, lots of activation triggers, etc. has changed how I use my Mac.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I use Better Snap Tool because it perfectly mimics the Windows snapping feature and takes 3 seconds to set up, and has no icon in the menu bar or anything so it feels native. No Frills No Problem !!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

LionArcher posted:

The only one I actually use is Magnet and it’s pretty good.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I got Magnet when it was on sale for like £1 or something silly and I think it's great. Something like Mosaic has more features but I'm only after the hotkeys to put a window into a specific corner / side of the screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is it just me or is the battery section under system preferences seriously lacking?

Like this doesn’t tell me anything at all.

Where as this on iOS is much much better.

Am I missing something here?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MarcusSA posted:

Is it just me or is the battery section under system preferences seriously lacking?

Like this doesn’t tell me anything at all.

Where as this on iOS is much much better.

Am I missing something here?

Power tab in activity monitor

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I hope this is the right place to ask for help, as I'm clueless when it comes to macOS:

We have an old printer (Canon MP495) whose OS compatibility list says:

quote:

OS Compatibility
Windows® 7, Windows Vista® , Windows XP and Mac OS® X v10.4.11 to v10.6.x11

My wife is using a newish Macbook Air running 10.15.something. Sure enough, she's not able to see the printer on the network any longer. It worked fine when she had an old Macbook and it's still working for my Win10 machine (despite the OS list above not including Win10).

Are we just out of luck and need to get a new printer so that the MBA can see it, or is there some network hack which can be used to get around the incompatibility?

Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do you know the IP? I’m pretty sure the OS still has least generic drivers so you can just manually add it via IP. I had to do something similar to my Dell MFP when they dropped 32-but support.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

jokes posted:

I use Better Snap Tool because it perfectly mimics the Windows snapping feature and takes 3 seconds to set up, and has no icon in the menu bar or anything so it feels native. No Frills No Problem !!

This owns and it shocks me that Apple hasn’t actually implemented it

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone tried the xbox app on a m1 to see if remote play streaming works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

TACD posted:

I got Magnet when it was on sale for like £1 or something silly and I think it's great. Something like Mosaic has more features but I'm only after the hotkeys to put a window into a specific corner / side of the screen.

I've been using Magnet for a while now, but my monitor is large enough that i actually want more granular control of windows, so it's cool to see this other Mosaic option mentioned here. Gonna try it out.