Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

I got as far as "the rock gets removed from memory but link is still holding it, letting you do something or other" and then my vision started swimming and I spoke with my ancestors

in the code link is not holding a rock, he is holding an address where rock lives. rock got evicted at a bad time because the game thought the rock was very far away. but link still had an address to SOMETHING UNDEFINED (evil, evil, evil). it turned out to be a bush, but not really a bush, but the game really wanted to treat it like a bush and in doing so it overwrote a pointer/address on the not-bush with link's angle data, and when the not-bush's pointer was called by the code that thought it was a real bush to rotate and be drawn it for a single frame, due to the data about links angle and file name data being identical to an address to a different bit of code that when run caused links data to get overwritten by the debug file, gave link everything in the game.

its very wicked and sinful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
And thus after killing most of Ganondorf's guardians, Link finally gets around to dealing with that whole infested Deku Tree thing, before warping off to slay the rest of them.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Damaging the boss under the arena before the fight, nice

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Remotely clearing bosses, as Link lays back in his bed and and SRM nukes Ganon from 7 years in the past.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

drat it that fish was important after all!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the main thing to know about computers is that they are loving stupid and will do anything you hand at them. you contain this by making sure you only tell it to do things in specific circumstances, but when you make the game do things when it shouldnt be doing something, it blitheringly continues on and the runners are making a fool of it by doing the equivalent of bart calling up moe and going I'm Looking For A 0x1FC00800, Do You Have A 0x1FC00800 There and then moe gives Bart infinite power and warps him to bongo bongo

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
And umm, time...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well that was anticlimactic

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao ok

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I look away for a moment and suddenly credits.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Wow, i got bored at looked away at the 3rd miss and suddenly i hear "TIME" like what

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
like basically here Link Pick Up Thing In Front Of Him command gets delayed and run after the thing he is trying to pick up got dereferenced so when it wanted to make the bush get drawn, fall and go poof it instead ran code that made the game run code to win the game. easy to understand lets all go get wasted

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My favorite instance of that is always going to be super Mario land 2 where you go out of bounds and fall into a level that is being generated from various other parts of the ram instead of the actual level data. It's mostly garbage and then you can barely manage to navigate to a ? Block that is the space where the game stores if the next time you load a new map it should play the ending sequence or not, and hitting that changes it from false to true.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Guess, guess we really don't need to deal with that whole Ganondorf thing after all, surely leaving the reincarnation of pure evil will be fine, surely...

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

as much as i like oot, its optimized runs have become a story of manipulating data to get to the end. this wasn't really finale worthy but at least i still got wowed by some of the new tricks.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SeXReX posted:

My favorite instance of that is always going to be super Mario land 2 where you go out of bounds and fall into a level that is being generated from various other parts of the ram instead of the actual level data. It's mostly garbage and then you can barely manage to navigate to a ? Block that is the space where the game stores if the next time you load a new map it should play the ending sequence or not, and hitting that changes it from false to true.

this is how the matrix works, canonically

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
and the marathon ends on page 69

e: but wait, a challenger approaches

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
we spent years figuring out how to travel between places without bothering with "doors"

this is literally the backstory to Portal

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

French Accent posted:

as much as i like oot, its optimized runs have become a story of manipulating data to get to the end. this wasn't really finale worthy but at least i still got wowed by some of the new tricks.

I find it interesting it's gotten to the point where you can manipulate the data by just doing certain actions, even if those actions aren't necessarily the most exciting things to watch happen.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

French Accent posted:

yeah I was wondering why they didn't swap this and pokemon on the schedule for most of the run

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Tiler Kiwi posted:

in the code link is not holding a rock, he is holding an address where rock lives. rock got evicted at a bad time because the game thought the rock was very far away. but link still had an address to SOMETHING UNDEFINED (evil, evil, evil). it turned out to be a bush, but not really a bush, but the game really wanted to treat it like a bush and in doing so it overwrote a pointer/address on the not-bush with link's angle data, and when the not-bush's pointer was called by the code that thought it was a real bush to rotate and be drawn it for a single frame, due to the data about links angle and file name data being identical to an address to a different bit of code that when run caused links data to get overwritten by the debug file, gave link everything in the game.

its very wicked and sinful

I've only done amateur tinkering but I guess this is why <null> is an object type, instead of being null in a more literal sense. Terrifying vistas of reality Man was not meant to behold, etc.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
14 different damage properties, it truly is the Master Sword.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

The Shame Boy posted:

I find it interesting it's gotten to the point where you can manipulate the data by just doing certain actions, even if those actions aren't necessarily the most exciting things to watch happen.

i mean in a technical sense you are always manipulating data by doing things in games, the magic here is that its trying to read the stuff that was writing stuff about link farting around as an address to something that can be executed and they know how to screw with the data in the exact right sense

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Link no, stop bending the universe like that. No stop! *Gossip Stone merges with Link*

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

French Accent posted:

yeah pretty much agreed here.

This is kinda like, "oh, okay, that's insane and kinda neat," but I'm not enthralled like I was with Beat Saber.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

:same: Link, my heart won't open either

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Link has all the keys...

except the key to my heart.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

French Accent posted:

Pokemon Gen 1 arbitrary code is a tough act to follow

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
looks like team hyrule is blasting off again

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
note: Link died floating back towards his home planet

edit: Limbo Link, how loooow can you gooooo

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Link’s got that lean

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
100% SRM is more interesting since you still have to collect every item from source. I don't think that run is in a marathon ready state though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Glitch boots has merged Link with the Speed Force

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

And now he’s high

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
And then Link was crushed into a ball while flying at an ever increasing speed.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

xdad loading Ganon's Castle has to have some hidden meaning to sombody working on the game back in the 90's we will never fully understand

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Ganon is daddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ahh, see Ganon went with Tie-Die over earthen brown for his castle, a wise choice.