Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I very much admire the arabic language, it shares common ground with germanic and gaelic languages on the importance of throat sounds

https://i.imgur.com/wTjheEz.mp4

crispix fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like that

like the people of loughborough saying they come from luffboro is honestly a travesty

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
It was AI (aye eye) not Al (as in Al Gebra well known terrorist).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I know I changed it to suit my preferences

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-visa-free-work-musicians-eu-brexit-b1784600.html

quote:

UK ‘rejected offer’ of visa-free tours by musicians in EU, despite blaming Brussels for permit blow
Exclusive: ‘Standard’ proposal to exempt performers for 90 days was proposed, but ‘the UK said no’

The UK rejected an offer of visa-free tours by musicians to EU countries, despite blaming Brussels for what the industry is calling the devastating blow of them requiring permits.

A “standard” proposal to exempt performers from the huge cost and bureaucracy for 90 days was turned down, The Independent has been told – because the government is insisting on denying that to EU artists visiting this country.

“It is usually in our agreements with third countries, that [work] visas are not required for musicians. We tried to include it, but the UK said no,” an EU source close to the negotiations said.

It appears the stumbling block was Priti Patel’s immigration crackdown which has introduced tough restrictions on tours by EU musicians.

From this month, they must, like non-EU artists, apply for visas – to visit for more than 30 days – as well as providing proof of savings and a sponsorship certificate from an event organiser.

etc

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's okay we'll just entertain ourselves with morris dancing and armpit fart noises

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Seems Biden has come out and said "we don't need austerity, we shouldn't be so concerned with the deficit, we need to invest" (parahphrased).

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1348031632666718210?s=20

Nice to see, though I'll believe it when it happens.

Comes hot on the heels of the IMF saying that austerity is not inevitable for accounting for coronavirus.

Of course, both of these things probably mean that the UK will go into ultra-mega-turbo austerity as soon as possible.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

WhatEvil posted:

Seems Biden has come out and said "we don't need austerity, we shouldn't be so concerned with the deficit, we need to invest" (parahphrased).

Comes hot on the heels of the IMF saying that austerity is not inevitable for accounting for coronavirus.

Of course, both of these things probably mean that the UK will go into ultra-mega-turbo austerity as soon as possible.

UK austerity is about punishing poor people for being poor not sorting out the deficit or debts.
I just wonder how many of those new to signing on for universal credit are gob-smacked that a 55" plasma screen tv isn't delivered the next day with full sky subscription and a 200 pack of ciggies.

Meanwhile, in twitter land:

https://twitter.com/tuckwoodstock/status/1347995508149604352?s=20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Crossposting from the political cartoons thread, but here's an excellent politoon about that new years opinion piece everyone was talking about a few days back:

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

West Virginia and Alaska are going to get so much Pork trying to haul Biden's stimulus, infrastructure and healthcare bills across finish line, and I'm totally cool with that.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

ccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh like that

like the people of loughborough saying they come from luffboro is honestly a travesty

Luffbra m8

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Why is Jay Kay punching Davy Crocket?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

feedmegin posted:

Luffbra m8

:hai:

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

WhatEvil posted:

Did the Democrats ever actually go through much of an Austerity program the way we did? Both and Obama and Trump weren't very concerned with the debt aside from passing tax cuts as an excuse.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This angers me. I've seen this first hand when entering the UK as part of a European tour. Even with the proper paperwork, the border guards assume everyone wants to abscond the minute they reach the Costa in arrivals. The darker the performer's skin, the abscondier they are assumed to be. Leading to one musician telling them "I don't want to live here, it's rainy, I want to go back to Caracas". Or another guard having a go at an African performer for trying to enter the UK while not speaking English.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

I'm pro glowing children, pro glowing families.

I, too, am pro-Ready Brek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9CdeEyx7NY

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Is it? The great plagues wiped out ~30% of Europe and the population recovered in a couple of generations, whereas no population recovers from a below replacement birth rate.

You've sort of answered your own question there. If you take the god's eye view, which is what you're doing when you say things like "we need to get the global population down", and leave both the logistics and the morality out of it, when you set out to reduce the population just by reducing birth rates you end up with what will be Japan's eventual end game where there aren't enough young people to take care of the old people so all the old people die nastily or 100% of the economy is elder care and nobody's growing food or keeping the lights on. Both end up with massive, uncontrolled diebacks.

This will probably happen even if you set out to just stabilise, rather than reduce, the population this way because you end up with an hourglass-shaped population graph - you end up with almost all of the population being too old or too young.

Plus of course we're living in a preview of what society looks like when the population skews massively towards the old - imagine the Boomers just getting more and more and more powerful as time goes on.

Now you can definitely make the case that overshooting (undershooting) our new global population target, possibly to the point of complete societal collapse, is actually fine - better, even - for the planet by getting rid of the human infestation that Earth has been suffering from, but if we bring the morality back in you've just condemned billions of people to die in deeply unpleasant ways rather than just doing it in a controlled and painless way at the start of the process.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Opinion piece in the Indy about Brexit's fallout in terms of public reaction that seems likely (and depressing)

Indy posted:

Here I think some Remainers get ahead of themselves – although it was interesting that Rosie Duffield, the Labour MP who wants to rejoin the EU, this week accepted that this is not a “realistic” policy for the party for at least five years. The effect of the temporary disruptions to imports and exports will dissipate, while the long-term costs of Brexit will be invisible. Once M&S has sorted out the logistics of Percy Pig distribution, most people won’t notice much change as a result of leaving the EU. From the point of view of Rejoiners, the problem is that Brexit will make us poorer than we would otherwise have been, not poorer than we are now. It might take decades for people to feel that they are slipping behind their continental and Irish neighbours.

That's the whole gist of the piece, which I can't really agree with. Even if Brexit day had been met with utter chaos, it would have eventually settled down to just being a bit slower and more expensive than before (with the caveat that people would be comparing it to the chaos immediately after Brexit rather than trade before and it would probably be hailed as a sign that remoaner worries were overblown and everything is actually fine). For Britain to rejoin the EU is basically going to require the same conditions that originally got us in: an utterly hosed economy that sees closer European integration as the only likely route out of it. I don't see divergence happening to get to that point for at least 10 years (and assumes that the EU survives and, relatively, thrives in that time).

I do wonder at seeing a generation growing up in, say, NI, who are looking at people across the border enjoying better prospects and jobs who move to Dublin rather than London for work. I think Brexit is going to mean NI and Gibraltar move away from the mainland, possibly even leaving the UK to keep their EU privileges. In the meantime those who vote for a red Leave or whatever can look forward to the Tories gutting consumer and worker protections in the name of achieving a competitive advantage, since apparently UK industry can't compete with French or German workers on a level playing field.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Important news

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1348039274436947970?s=20

Yes, that's Michael Gove's daughter for sure. Writing in the Sunday Mail. Normal country.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I wonder if Priti Patel actually has the capacity to enjoy anything, other than the screams of the tortured humans souls that she left behind in hell.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yes, she loves dawn raids

also if they bring back capital punishment she will enjoy that, especially if they let her do the throttling herself

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

MrNemo posted:

For Britain to rejoin the EU is basically going to require the same conditions that originally got us in: an utterly hosed economy that sees closer European integration as the only likely route out of it. I don't see divergence happening to get to that point for at least 10 years (and assumes that the EU survives and, relatively, thrives in that time).
There's even more to it than divergence. The Westminster system, in particular the house of lords, isn't sufficiently democratic to allow us to rejoin the EU. The entry requirement is that "all citizens of the country should be able to participate, on an equal basis, in the political decision making at every single governing level".
First time round we got in before the rules on this were codified.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

XMNN posted:

also if they bring back capital punishment she will enjoy that, especially if they let her do the throttling herself
if she brings back capital punishment it'll be short rope only and televised

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

If there ever is a serious Rejoin campaign it’ll have to overcome ardent Brexiteers smugly pointing out all the disadvantages we’ll have compared to when we were in previously — no exemption from the Euro or Schengen, for example. But I’m sure our media would explain those issues in a calm and sensible way!

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

forkboy84 posted:

Important news

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1348039274436947970?s=20

Yes, that's Michael Gove's daughter for sure. Writing in the Sunday Mail. Normal country.

Wasn't she the daughter making TikTok’s about how much she hated being Gove’s daughter?*

*Not hated enough to ride in her parents coattails apparently.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Private Speech posted:

Crossposting from the political cartoons thread, but here's an excellent politoon about that new years opinion piece everyone was talking about a few days back:

Which piece was that?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Eararaldor posted:

Wasn't she the daughter making TikTok’s about how much she hated being Gove’s daughter?*

Yes. They made her delete her TikTok. Harsh.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

XMNN posted:

Does anyone have that tweet where the different ministers are saying what inspires them, and it's all saccarine nonsense except Patal who says 'dawn raids'?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CGI Stardust posted:

if she brings back capital punishment it'll be short rope only and televised
They'll be daily, and you'll gather round a big telly with everyone else to watch and shout and jeer at them. Don't worry though, it'll only take about five minutes!

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

forkboy84 posted:

Yes. They made her delete her TikTok. Harsh.

That’s hilarious

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You've sort of answered your own question there. If you take the god's eye view, which is what you're doing when you say things like "we need to get the global population down", and leave both the logistics and the morality out of it, when you set out to reduce the population just by reducing birth rates you end up with what will be Japan's eventual end game where there aren't enough young people to take care of the old people so all the old people die nastily or 100% of the economy is elder care and nobody's growing food or keeping the lights on. Both end up with massive, uncontrolled diebacks.

This will probably happen even if you set out to just stabilise, rather than reduce, the population this way because you end up with an hourglass-shaped population graph - you end up with almost all of the population being too old or too young.

Plus of course we're living in a preview of what society looks like when the population skews massively towards the old - imagine the Boomers just getting more and more and more powerful as time goes on.

Now you can definitely make the case that overshooting (undershooting) our new global population target, possibly to the point of complete societal collapse, is actually fine - better, even - for the planet by getting rid of the human infestation that Earth has been suffering from, but if we bring the morality back in you've just condemned billions of people to die in deeply unpleasant ways rather than just doing it in a controlled and painless way at the start of the process.
Maybe in the premodern era, but I'm not convinced that dying 'nastily' is an inevitability, more a consequence of our continued irrational opposition to euthanasia and assisted dying (it's because the 'pro-lifers' are really pro-suffering). Is that increasing the death rate, or just admitting that over the long run the death rate is 100%?

We can take care of far more people the more tasks that we automate anyway, and people have been talking about a refocusing from a services to a caring economy the same way that there was from manufacturing to services, the money's there if there's the will.

You'd get a completely different demographic change out of that than you would out of a plague that trips people's "oh poo poo we're finite and mortal on this earth better make sure some kids survive" response.

Imagining the Boomers getting more and more and more powerful as time goes on depends entirely on what they want. They're an outsized generation anyway, but if the older generations want guaranteed social support and to feel part of a larger non-familial society that gives a poo poo about them then again you end up with a completely different society to one where they want property, capital, and society to cater entirely to their lead addled brains.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

I get hostility because I'm a contrarian arsehole, am very comfortable with that, Ash gets hostility because she's constantly and coherently a white-noise ethnonationalist it's not the same.

You're once, twice, three times a dickhead.

Despite my own words contradicting this poo poo you say you persist with this bullshit

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Eararaldor posted:

I’m willing to bet that the whole thing was written by some just graduated journalism student who is seeing their dreams crushed a little more by every word type.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

quote:

A supporter of Keir Starmer’s leadership is to launch a new attempt to lead Labour’s most generous union backer, the Observer can reveal.

Gerard Coyne, who was narrowly defeated by current leader Len McCluskey in a bitter battle for the Unite leadership in 2017, has announced that he will aim to become its new general secretary when a contest begins later this year.

Coyne was sacked in June 2017, three months after standing against McCluskey for the union’s leadership. While McCluskey won 59,067 votes (45.4%), Coyne won 53,544 (41.5%). This time around, Coyne’s allies believe he may be helped because there are two candidates fighting for support for the union’s left.

It comes with the new leader of another Labour-affiliated union set to be unveiled on Monday. The frontrunner to be named the new leader of Unison, the UK’s biggest union, is also a figure said to be broadly supportive of Starmer’s leadership. Christina McAnea, one of the union’s assistant general secretaries, faces a challenge from counterpart Roger McKenzie, who has been backed by Corbyn.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/10/starmer-supporter-plans-bid-for-leadership-of-unite-union-gerard-coyne-len-mccluskey

I assume there will be shocking yet unsubstantiated rumours emerging about the left-wing candidates in the upcoming weeks :waycool:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If there's two candidates splitting the left vote, why would there even need to be smears? Just shooting themselves in the foot.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

TACD posted:

If there ever is a serious Rejoin campaign it’ll have to overcome ardent Brexiteers smugly pointing out all the disadvantages we’ll have compared to when we were in previously — no exemption from the Euro or Schengen, for example. But I’m sure our media would explain those issues in a calm and sensible way!

Hopefully by that time the bulk of the gammon will have been wiped out by old age, and a younger generation will see things like visa free travel and not changing your money when you go abroad as a good thing.

Who am I kidding.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Some details of the proposals between DfE and Ofqual that are going to be consulted about over the next few weeks on how to give grades out. How they could possibly send out 'mini exams' to be done on different days is beyond me.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pupils-to-sit-mini-summer-exams-marked-by-their-own-teachers-vml307tqg

The Times posted:

Teenagers who were due to sit their GCSEs and A-levels this summer will face some form of test this year, the exam regulator Ofqual is expected to announce this week.

Under the proposals, children will sit tests or “mini” exams in schools, to be marked by their teachers. The tests, which will be devised by exam boards, are likely to be taken late in the summer term, when it is hoped that coronavirus infection rates will have died down enough for schools to be fully reopened.

There would also be internal assessments set by teachers in some subjects, including the chance for children to submit porfolios of work completed in the past two years.

If schools do not reopen as planned, children may have to do the tests at home, raising the prospect of their having to produce important work from their bedroom, kitchen table or elsewhere.

Neither the tests nor the internal assessments will have to be taken on a single date across the nation. It is not known how examiners will be able to stop children simply telling one another what is in the papers, if they are held on different dates in different schools.

A sample of teachers’ marking will be checked and moderated by exam boards, to be used as the basis for awarding GCSE and A-level results. Consultation on the plans will last until the end of the month.

While it is hoped that the tests will be taken in classrooms after schools reopen, Kirsty Williams, education minister for Wales, raised the possibility on Friday that some assessments used to award A-level and GCSE grades might need to be taken online at home.

Wales has announced a three-week extension to its lockdown and schools will now remain closed until late February. In England, school closures are due to be reviewed in two weeks.

Wales has drawn up a plan for teachers to assess pupils’ work in schools to award GCSE and A-level grades, also using tests and pieces of marked work, but Williams said that was under review because of the “worsening public health situation”.

She said: “There is potential for some assessment to be done at home and electronically marked. University students are doing open-book exams and many schoolchildren are doing work online and submitting work online.”

Alan Smithers, education professor at the University of Buckingham, said that online tests were vulnerable to cheating. “It would be a first if we did tests and assessments for GCSEs and A-levels online. The potential for cheating is huge,” he said.

Teachers have asked that the term “teacher-assessed grades” should not be used because they fear parents and children may complain directly to them if they think the marking is too strict.

Schools, however, are likely to point out that plans for online assessment risk being scuppered as a legal challenge is launched today against the government for failing to make sure that up to a million poorer children have the laptops and free broadband they need to study and complete assessments online at home.

The Good Law Project has said hundreds of thousands of children still do not have what they need, 10 months after the government promised laptops and routers.

Ofqual declined to comment but confirmed its consultation proposals would be published this week.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Speaking of lovely posters...
https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1348014693408002054?s=19

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What an absolute shithead pissflaps is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The gender identity Ponzi, where you have to invent three new genders to validate yours :eng99: