Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why does this remind me so much of Half Life 2?

It gives off strong City 17 vibes.

There is a level in Half Life: Alyx that is almost literally this picture. Multiple floors in a building where it's mostly chunks of bathroom remaining. The floor at the botton is still intact but is infested as gently caress with poison headcrabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why does this remind me so much of Half Life 2?

It was broken poo poo?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Platystemon posted:

That kitchen is too big, but that’s a problem solved by an island, not a cape.

I read the next two pages and nobody mentioned this so I just want to say that I saw it and I love you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

8one6 posted:

It gives off strong City 17 vibes.

There is a level in Half Life: Alyx that is almost literally this picture. Multiple floors in a building where it's mostly chunks of bathroom remaining. The floor at the botton is still intact but is infested as gently caress with poison headcrabs.

Off topic, but the idea of immersing my senses into the half-life universe sounds loving terrifying.

I'm shocked Alyx as popular as it was.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Wasabi the J posted:

Off topic, but the idea of immersing my senses into the half-life universe sounds loving terrifying.

I'm shocked Alyx as popular as it was.

Valve spent a ton of resources polishing it to a mirror shine and there are a few places where it is terrifying because of it. It's legit one of the best VR games out right now it ways that are hard to convey in descriptions or just by watching 2d captures.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://twitter.com/FPScarol/status/1347468490727309316

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

We often joke about fps levels but please:

E:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 10, 2021

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

mostlygray posted:

Secondary story: Back in about '08, my mom and I went for a walk in the sandhills of ND and ended up on a property that had been abandoned in '45. I know the date, because my grandmother had bought a dresser from the family that year when they left. The house had collapsed sideways. There were dishes and nonsense scattered, but I found an unopened bottle of Watkins vanilla. It had fallen upside-down against a rock and had never had any leakage or water intrusion.

the is possibly the most north dakota story i have ever read

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dazzle camouflage cabinetry.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/3054516/302-2250-commercial-drive-vancouver-bc

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the is possibly the most north dakota story i have ever read

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I really hate this trend of creating a "bedroom" out of sliding frosted glass doors, it really emphasizes what a sad little shoebox most condos are.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Thought it was a poor texture alignment in Photoshop at first.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I really hate this trend of creating a "bedroom" out of sliding frosted glass doors, it really emphasizes what a sad little shoebox most condos are.

If you have a cheaper way to justify charging 1br rent for a studio apt, I'd like to hear it.

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

Dienes posted:

If you have a cheaper way to justify charging 1br rent for a studio apt, I'd like to hear it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Dienes posted:

these glass panels give you several extra square feet of usable space versus a wall! look at this natural light! think of the resale value! :byodood:

i do admit it's a clever solution to get sunlight into an area of the unit that doesn't have a real window

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I guess you got to live in a tiny basement apartments before you really learn to appreciate sunlight.

E: TBH I wish I had Colin Furze's bunker

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 13, 2021

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

By popular demand posted:

I guess you got to live in a tiny basement apartments before you really learn to appreciate sunlight.

E: TBH I wish I had Colin Furze's bunker

Could do with a lick of paint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6q54q2iam8&t=223s

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man just project a starfield on here and you could make your tiny room seem like you're in infinite space.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ashcans posted:

Man just project a starfield on here and you could make your tiny room seem like you're in infinite space.

I don't think projecting light on paint that absorbs 99.99% of light will work as well as you'd hope.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Dienes posted:

I don't think projecting light on paint that absorbs 99.99% of light will work as well as you'd hope.

Ok yea that's true. I never claimed to be a smart man.

I guess you could do something like fleck a reflective paint on it to create the effect? Basically it would be cool if it wasn't just a pure void.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Those silvery star stickers we all loved as children would work a treat.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That's a fantastic illustration of just how much reflected illumination matters. That's why I painted my stairwell and upstairs hallway white, since they have very little direct light available.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Dienes posted:

Could do something like this, pretty trippy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53JclJwR4Po

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

It's a shame that Musou Black is not super durable, because drat if that car doesn't look absolutely spectacular.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Could do something like this, pretty trippy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53JclJwR4Po

That video would be 10x better if they actually showed the whole car in one frame instead of an eight minute long panning closeup from 14 inches away.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Magic Hate Ball posted:

vancouver.txt

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

It's got in-suite laundry, I'm interested!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

if only demo was always this easy
https://twitter.com/i/status/1348241886545207296

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ashcans posted:

Ok yea that's true. I never claimed to be a smart man.

I guess you could do something like fleck a reflective paint on it to create the effect? Basically it would be cool if it wasn't just a pure void.

My dad and I spent weeks crawling around a balloon ceiling in a restaurant in Seattle, mounting hundreds of little 2W low voltage halogen bulbs (well before the advent of low cost ubiquitous LEDs) in a pattern to create a starry sky effect on a black ceiling, the end product looked cool, but I think it cost them like $10,000 in early 2000's money to achieve.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ve seen it done with fibre optics.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Pro click and stealing for the OSHA thread

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Platystemon posted:

I’ve seen it done with fibre optics.

I've seen a DIY method that's just fishing net and Christmas lights. You have less control over where the "stars" actually go, so you can't easily do actual constellations, but if you're just going for a "starry night" feel it'd work.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iMFTVrX6Y8

Dareon fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 14, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Luneshot posted:

It's a shame that Musou Black is not super durable, because drat if that car doesn't look absolutely spectacular.

I wanna use this on my homebuilt solar collector.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Saw that in another thread and have to say: please watch till the end.

It's a match against the house.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wasabi the J posted:

Saw that in another thread and have to say: please watch till the end.

It's a match against the house.

I guess the house doesn't always win after all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jows posted:

That video would be 10x better if they actually showed the whole car in one frame instead of an eight minute long panning closeup from 14 inches away.
Check the video where they initially paint it black:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz_m_DlYz8E

Always had wondered what that starship from Restaurant at the End of the Universe would actually look like.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What do you do if you want to fit two boxes back to back in a wall cavity?

Uh, preferably anything but this.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That doesn’t even seem easier.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Never do the correct thing when you can hack some poo poo together for only twice the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

you get two mud rings and old work box extenders to fit the width of the wall, nail them to the stud, and put the mud rings on both sides, duh.