Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It turns out nearly everything the British say about the French is probably projection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It turns out nearly everything the British say about the French is probably projection.

American, but lest we forget 112 Gripes About the French.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thwomp posted:

The World Trade Center was pretty controversial for a while after its construction.

A while? People were trying to take it down decades later

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

A while? People were trying to take it down decades later

:drat:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

The World Trade Center was pretty controversial for a while after its construction.

I can kind of see why, it was two giant rectangles next to each other. The architecture involved was super neat and the way they stood out in the skyline was as cool as they would be boring in a vacuum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Almost everything on QI is untrue.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

What's pretty telling is that the French have a lot less of a constant need to bitterly badmouth the Brits than vice versa. Historical inferiority complexes between nations are usually very one-sided.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

barbecue at the folks posted:

What's pretty telling is that the French have a lot less of a constant need to bitterly badmouth the Brits than vice versa. Historical inferiority complexes between nations are usually very one-sided.

This explainas texas

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Are we doing that thing where a country is judged by its dumbest members? The average non-gammon is not constantly and bitterly badmouthing the french. Some dickheads that think they're funnier than they are might go for the whole 'friendly rivarly' shtick and need to be told 'surrender monkey' and quoting Sharpe isn't funny or relevant but that's not the desperate hatred being suggested.

I will admit, however, that there are a lot of gammons.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It's interesting reading - basically a big "STFU, you're wrong, here's why" aimed at American Servicemen complaining about the French.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Regarde Aduck posted:

Are we doing that thing where a country is judged by its dumbest members? The average non-gammon is not constantly and bitterly badmouthing the french. Some dickheads that think they're funnier than they are might go for the whole 'friendly rivarly' shtick and need to be told 'surrender monkey' and quoting Sharpe isn't funny or relevant but that's not the desperate hatred being suggested.

I wanna give the UK the benefit of the doubt, but then I remember who the prime minister is and Brexit, and then I just wanna see a unified Ireland, and Scotland break off it's chains and join the EU.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought that was a type of ham

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

doverhog posted:

I just wanna see a unified Ireland, and Scotland break off it's chains and join the EU.

This is the exact same moronic logic as "hurr blue states should secede and let the south rot".

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Sweevo posted:

This is the exact same moronic logic as "hurr blue states should secede and let the south rot".

Oh I was staring at your post for a while trying to understand it, but when I clicked quote you'd already edited it.

I won't refer to the original because obviously you rethought it but what's wrong with supporting Irish unification and Scottish independence? Numbers from polls (all hail our heavenly polls) seem pretty even from a quick search.. but I don't know what else you'd use to frame it empirically

or are you saying that leaving the union would be disastrous for those countries?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sweevo posted:

That is absolutely not true. I assume you have a very surface level understanding of the isles politics

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sweevo posted:

The partition of Ireland in its current form is younger than nearly all American states and if I recall correctly the Good Friday peace agreement explicitly permits for a referendum on unification at some future point, and that future point may be very close indeed.

Scotland has indeed been unified with England far longer and more peacefully, but it has a distinct history of independent nationality which predates the United States of America's very existence.

In addition, the driving force here is on the smaller national groupings - Scotland would presumably revert to an independent state, while the six counties of Northern Ireland would unify with the republic and presumably the EU.

"Blue states" and "red states" are also far more similar than they are different, even now; most of the distinctions are due to regional trends predating the current political alignments in America, and they are subject to change, for instance in Georgia. If the current trends and political constellations stayed the same for the next eighty or one hundred years, then perhaps the other distinctions would have grown sufficient to make national separation seem more reasonable, but by then we will all be dead, or cyborgs, or both.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasn't Scotland an independent country until the early 1700s? That's recent history.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wasn't Scotland an independent country until the early 1700s? That's recent history.

Unification happenen in 1707

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Scotland was a separate country from circa 843 to 1707 though by that point it had been in a union with England for almost a century though not through conquest but by James VI of Scotland inheriting the English throne and becoming James I of England as well.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

too slow

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Plus Scotland has a very seperate and distinct grouping within the union which despite how much southerners wish they had, they really don’t.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Being a french-US dual citizen growing up in the US I got so much poo poo in the freedom fries era, which becomes more hilarious as I grow older because the french, and especially the french government, are probably the most similar europeans to the US in terms of worldview. Which is why these culture clashes happen.

Also if the good bits leave the UK, I guess England and Wales can join the Union if they fire the Queen.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:02 on Jan 10, 2021

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Wipfmetz posted:

And his Code Civil aka Code Napoleon influences european continental law until today. And Louisiana.

Civil Law is basically the default, only old British colonies and the Wretched Isles uses Common law systems, hell, even the Scots uses a hybrid system, there's a reason why most people outside of the US, really don't understand how your legal system loving works.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Different US states have different legal systems, a lawyer has to be separately certified for each state they wanna practice in.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sweevo posted:

little bit different considering that the roles are reversed. in the UK England is the powerhouse that sets the rules while Scotland feels left out. In the US the North is the one who sets the rules while poor people in the South basically live in a third world country.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In some places in America, if the sheriff is incapacitated or removed from the post, the coroner becomes sheriff. My stupid original hometown has had three sheriffs get into legal trouble and be removed in the past 30 years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also it should be said that Scotland often does feel hosed over and they have a fair case. Especially during the Thatcher years. They probably hated her more than anyone else

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

In some places in America, if the sheriff is incapacitated or removed from the post, the coroner becomes sheriff. My stupid original hometown has had three sheriffs get into legal trouble and be removed in the past 30 years.

This got me thinking if we even have coroners. I checked and I guess we kind of do - the official moniker in English is medicolegal officers (literal translation would be justice doctors which is better IMHO). The amusing thing is they work for the The Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Iceland a coroner is called a "Réttarlæknir" (Court [of law] Doctor) and his name is Pétur Guðmann Guðmannsson.

Peanut President posted:

little bit different considering that the roles are reversed. in the UK England is the powerhouse that sets the rules while Scotland feels left out. In the US the North is the one who sets the rules while poor people in the South basically live in a third world country.

Also the CSA was only a country for six years, Scotland for almost a thousand.

e:
sorry, four years.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Jan 10, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

I thought that was a type of ham

IIRC "gammon" as a term for the English brand of middle-aged blowhard brexiteering chud is precisely because the flushed, heavy faces that tend to express those opinions make them look like a cured ham

It'd be like if we had one word that encapsulated "picture taken with the front camera of their phone, inside the cabin of their Ford F-250 Super Duty, and they've got a backwards ball cap, sunglasses, and a goatee"

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Phy posted:

It'd be like if we had one word that encapsulated "picture taken with the front camera of their phone, inside the cabin of their Ford F-250 Super Duty, and they've got a backwards ball cap, sunglasses, and a goatee"

Chud?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Phy posted:

IIRC "gammon" as a term for the English brand of middle-aged blowhard brexiteering chud is precisely because the flushed, heavy faces that tend to express those opinions make them look like a cured ham

Chud? Republican? Nazi?

Sorry we have more than one brand of ham?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I never really got the whole “surrender monkey” thing anyway since my understanding of the French people is that once they get a taste of blood and/or rioting they tend to commit pretty hard to it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think chud is too broad a term, at least the way my mind works. The truckshades dudes are merely one genus of North American chuds, as gammon are one genus of English right-wing numskulls.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I never really got the whole “surrender monkey” thing anyway since my understanding of the French people is that once they get a taste of blood and/or rioting they tend to commit pretty hard to it

When you ignore all history that doesn't involve the US, and doesn't involve anything before 1939, then the French lost one war and surrendered quickly (WW2) and something involving Korea or Vietnam (which are really the same if you're from a flyover state and the most exotic food you've eaten is the Orange Chicken from Panda Express). Therefore they're losers.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arcturas posted:

When you ignore all history that doesn't involve the US, and doesn't involve anything before 1939, then the French lost one war and surrendered quickly (WW2) and something involving Korea or Vietnam (which are really the same if you're from a flyover state and the most exotic food you've eaten is the Orange Chicken from Panda Express). Therefore they're losers.

If all you remember is the tidbits from American history class, the previous century+ isn't great either: got bailed out by US (1918), lost to Germany (1871), sold Louisiana then lost to everybody (Napoleon), helped America win the Revolution, lost to Britain (French and Indian War).

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Napoléon, famous for being meek and not belligerent at all.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Those French losers who most definitely were so bad at war that almost all military terminology is derived from French.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

christmas boots posted:

Americans recognize themselves in the French and recoil in horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I thought the idea of the french being bad at war ("cheese eating surrender monkeys") was more or less a joke made up by the simpsons, and intended to be recognised as stupid? As in, only someone as stupid as homer would actually know so little as to believe that - it's not homer displaying an uncharacteristic historical/world knowledge and just accidentally not being right, it is understood to be wrong (or maybe just stupid? i guess this is the subtlety), and only someone like homer could say it. And then the simpsons and american broadcasting in general is just so prevalent that almost everywhere has since been introduced to the idea -- but usually generally only as a joke, specifically in the context of "this is something americans believe", because homer simpson is seen as kind of the archetypal american

That's my take anyway, I don't think I've seen anybody ever talk about it without it being almost directly attributable to the simpsons

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Jan 11, 2021