Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sister had a covid scare, my mum is finally taking it seriously - only to complain about someone taking their mask off to cough at the grocery, ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Lol that's random, Steve "Shagger" Norris, former Tory candidate for London Mayor, has just retweeted a tweet of mine from last week and I've literally no idea how he could have ever seen it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Remember pissflaps got away with that poo poo for years because everyone decided he was 'trolling'. Always take these dickheads at full sincerity and treat them accordingly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

sister had a covid scare, my mum is finally taking it seriously - only to complain about someone taking their mask off to cough at the grocery, ugh

I was kinda fascinated watching a bloke in the queue in front of me at the shop the other day who pulled his mask down to type on his phone then pulled it back up to read whatever it was he was reading - he did this three times (it was a long queue) and I just really don't get what his thought process was.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Reminder that pissflaps got away with that poo poo for years because everyone decided it was 'trolling'. Always take these dickheads at full sincerity and treat them accordingly.

Too many people get away with being assholes because they hide behind being a "troll" or "gimmick poster".

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was kinda fascinated watching a bloke in the queue in front of me at the shop the other day who pulled his mask down to type on his phone then pulled it back up to read whatever it was he was reading - he did this three times (it was a long queue) and I just really don't get what his thought process was.

"the mask is too loud for me to type".

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

FaceID unlock, maybe?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

FaceID unlock, maybe?

Nah, he was reading (or at least staring at) his phone throughout. Couldn't see the screen clearly enough to tell what it was he was looking at, but it was a distinct change from "mask up, scrolling" to "mask down, typing". My first thought was captioning a selfie or something but he wasn't really posing or anything, either.

I think everyone's brain has broken in different and interesting ways over the last year - my anxiety dreams are now "In a shop with no mask", not "somehow my bed is now in the lobby of a big building and I'm trying to get dressed without people seeing me".

e: https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1348239113951047688

this would seem to be a breach of mask mandates as well

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nah, he was reading (or at least staring at) his phone throughout. Couldn't see the screen clearly enough to tell what it was he was looking at, but it was a distinct change from "mask up, scrolling" to "mask down, typing". My first thought was captioning a selfie or something but he wasn't really posing or anything, either.

Maybe he's got some form of synesthesia and can't type with a mask on.
(As an example - I find eating with loud music on very difficult).
Or maybe his mask gets in his eyes (mine does when I'm trying to put shopping in the bag at the till for example so I have to wriggle it down a bit.)

(Just trying to think of justifiable reasons why he might do that, not that I approve!)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
lol kieth has confirmed that contrary to his campaign promise he will not try to bring back free movement of he becomes pm.

I'm sure the fbpes will turn on him any second now...

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe he's got some form of synesthesia and can't type with a mask on.
(As an example - I find eating with loud music on very difficult).
Or maybe his mask gets in his eyes (mine does when I'm trying to put shopping in the bag at the till for example so I have to wriggle it down a bit.)

(Just trying to think of justifiable reasons why he might do that, not that I approve!)

If he's wearing glasses the mask could be loving his vision.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
what happened to pissflaps anyway? did he get banned or something

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

I still see old 'flaps show up every one in a while in Scotpol twitter replies. My curiosity got the better of me once and I clicked through to his profile. Just tens/hundreds of posts a day attacking trans people and sealioning (ugh) random people in their twitter replies. If he wasn't such a horrible person I'd be a bit worried for him tbh since he seems to have gotten a full case of Glinnerbrain. This was at least half a year back and it seems he's still at it, incredible.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

a pipe smoking dog posted:

lol kieth has confirmed that contrary to his campaign promise he will not try to bring back free movement of he becomes pm.

Ewan posted:

what happened to pissflaps anyway? did he get banned or something
This happened, let's leave it at that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol that's random, Steve "Shagger" Norris, former Tory candidate for London Mayor, has just retweeted a tweet of mine from last week and I've literally no idea how he could have ever seen it.

I'm no twitter expert but I believe tweets are public and anyone can read them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Leggsy posted:

I still see old 'flaps show up every one in a while in Scotpol twitter replies. My curiosity got the better of me once and I clicked through to his profile. Just tens/hundreds of posts a day attacking trans people and sealioning (ugh) random people in their twitter replies. If he wasn't such a horrible person I'd be a bit worried for him tbh since he seems to have gotten a full case of Glinnerbrain. This was at least half a year back and it seems he's still at it, incredible.

That's some high impact posting.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Change the 2 Ps of Petains monogram into

%

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
My grandma passed early this morning.

gently caress covid.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Olpainless posted:

gently caress covid.

Aww geez, I'm sorry bud.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Olpainless posted:

gently caress covid.
Sucks. Stay strong...

I know a LOT more people this wave with it than before.

My brother and his household (wife, 2 kids) now all have it. Their symptoms seem to be more flu-like (achey, fatigue) than classic 'covid', but he at least has tested positive.

Sister and her household now also isolating as one housemate tested positive (asymptomatic), but she got negative.

Me and my mum seem OK at the moment (I am 99% sure I had it back in March anyway)...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Olpainless posted:

gently caress covid.

gently caress. I'm so sorry to hear that

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Leggsy posted:

That's one thing that always gets me about trolls, is their main justification being how delightful it is to waste someone's time.

They say, wasting their entire day managing multiple accounts and checking the UKMT fervently. .

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Olpainless posted:

gently caress covid.
Sorry to hear that, condolences.

Ewan posted:

(I am 99% sure I had it back in March anyway)...
I was as well, did all the contact tracing and it made perfect sense (patient zero for our group was a friend who decided to go to the Leicester comedy thing in a small enclosed room with a bunch of people who'd come up from London).

Turns out it was far more likely to have been the Australian flu that was going around at the same time after a crucial link in the chain got a negative antibody test, so I'm acting as if I never did. YMMV.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Yeah, even if you did have it in March it's very likely that your immunity would have severely degraded by this point iirc, they aren't projected to last a full year. Behave like you have it at all times is all I can say.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Olpainless posted:

gently caress covid.

Sorry to hear that. My condolences.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Olpainless posted:

gently caress covid.

Sorry to hear

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I was as well, did all the contact tracing and it made perfect sense (patient zero for our group was a friend who decided to go to the Leicester comedy thing in a small enclosed room with a bunch of people who'd come up from London).

Turns out it was far more likely to have been the Australian flu that was going around at the same time after a crucial link in the chain got a negative antibody test, so I'm acting as if I never did. YMMV.
Yeah it isn't changing my behaviour, not least as even if I did have it we don't understand enough about re-transmission.

For me, it was a few days after I had taken a crowded international flight out of London via Brussels (no masks anywhere), just as London was getting bad but before the first restrictions/lock-down. Had a temp, a mild but persistent dry cough at the back of the throat (like I had breathed in dust), chest tightness, and zero sense of smell (despite completely clear sinuses). All lasted about a week. It's a combination of symptoms I have never felt before, and even now my smell has not got back to normal (it's back, but less... compex than before).

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Olpainless posted:

gently caress covid.

My condolances

A bunch of people on my street, including my neighbours have contracted it but even still no one's acting like it's anything serious in this district

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Sorry to hear that, condolences.

I think everyone should behave as if they haven't had it yet even if vaccinated. I'm also sure I had it in March, but maybe it was something different. And like another said, even if it was that, how long does that sort of 'immunity' last and as yet we have no idea how long any vaccine protection might last, or how transmittable it is by people who have had vaccines even if they don't get it themselves.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham/status/1348264059087556609?s=21

The centre cannot hold!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm no twitter expert but I believe tweets are public and anyone can read them.

Yeah, but nobody had retweeted it, only one person had liked it, and I have exactly one mutual with him. I'm not worried that ex-London mayoral candidates are watching my every move (with one... no two exceptions), I'm just kinda fascinated by whatever the sequence of events that led to him seeing this particular post is.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you could change your username to something funny i guess?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ash Crimson posted:

My condolances

A bunch of people on my street, including my neighbours have contracted it but even still no one's acting like it's anything serious in this district
I think it's because for a lot of people, it's not. I don't think I personally know anyone who's died of / been hospitalised by it. But I believe it's serious because I read.

A lot of people around me genuinely don't seem to think it's any more serious than the flu, including people who are vulnerable enough to be killed by it.

A competent government would be really doubling down on the fact that it could kill your dear old mum - hell, the new strain is killing young and apparently healthy people.

But the key word there is competent.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Thanks for the kind words, everyone-is appreciated. She was made comfortable in the end though.

It's all just swirling and although we kind of pre-mourned, knowing it was coming, it's still just a numbness there. The worst thing is when that feeling isn't there for a minute and then feeling guilty that i should be numb.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Things have more or less progressed as I expected - I genuinely think people radically underestimated the structural advantages (lots of sunlight being a good disinfectant+getting our vitamin D deficency issue down, no holidays in the summer, people spending more time outdoors rather than indoors, etc). I was predicting this spike before Christmas tho.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
TIL about Sealioning

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

a pipe smoking dog posted:

is there any pledge he hasn't already turned back on?

demonstrating that you will quickly break any promises even before you get into power is presumably agreat way to get people to vote for you

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

XMNN posted:

is there any pledge he hasn't already turned back on?

demonstrating that you will quickly break any promises even before you get into power is presumably agreat way to get people to vote for you

i think you need to keep in mind that liberals would prefer tories to corbynite labour - they will tell you exactly that themselves. keith doesn't need to be a plant to have that motivation - if the choice is between "popular policies" and "losing the election" his evaluation is radically different to ours.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

TIL about Sealioning

That original comic was fine but I'd be happy to rename it pissflapping. Sea lions are noble animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should've been nicer to the sealion tbf.