Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I must have ran aground or not noticed a flood/damage from being in the heavy storm I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
No, having the chest anywhere connected to the ship makes it start filling up with water. You can have it on your back hanging from the side ladder and you will start to fill up.

Just pick up Sorrows for the emissary boost and then dump that garbage back in the trash wherever you found it.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Sorry, I meant no, the trick doesn't work.

life_source posted:

No, having the chest anywhere connected to the ship makes it start filling up with water. You can have it on your back hanging from the side ladder and you will start to fill up.

Just pick up Sorrows for the emissary boost and then dump that garbage back in the trash wherever you found it.

Basically this. Let it weep on the beach.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
There is one trick that works with the chest of sorrow. If someone is holding it and gets on the ladder and gets as low as possible without falling off, it won't fill up the ship.

This of course becomes a big problem if playing solo, as you can't control the ship. If playing solo, and i want to get a chest of sorrow, I usually bee-line for the nearest outpost, and if it starts crying, you just keep bailing until it stops. You can stay ahead of it.

But yeah, most of the time it's not worth it. They should be worth more gold.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Chests of sorrow won't fill the ship if they're on a rowboat that's harpooning the ship (not directly attached, that one will fill up), but that's an inherently unstable attachment. So carrying more than one per ship is a bad idea.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, señor!
I've tried using the chest of sorrow on a skeleton galleon. It works, but did not fill up the ship fast enough to be worth the trouble.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
My stupid newbie moment was carrying the first one I ever found on my ship. It started crying and I discovered what it does. I was bailing and generally okay but then a skeleton sloop showed up and I died VERY fast.

I was solo.

This second experience has taught me all I need to know...

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
My crew will head for an outpost ASAP if we have any mega-kegs (Stronghold or Ancient Black Powder, whatever) or a Chest of Sorrow. Those are the only things that will make us immediately head for a port.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Earlier today a member of my crew persuaded us to abandon a sorrow chest at the start of what turned out to be a very long voyage finishing with a 20-minute galleon chase whilst we were full of treasure and desperately trying to hit an outpost to finish up the session. I’m really glad we listened to him!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
If you could hold a chest and climb into a cannon and be shot out of it that would be a hilarious way to board and drop one onto an enemy ship.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
using the chest of sorry as a pvp utility is always very funny

even if they somehow get their anchor up, it's rare enough that newer players will either refuse to throw it overboard or not realize what's happening until its too late

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

fallingdownjoe posted:

Earlier today a member of my crew persuaded us to abandon a sorrow chest at the start of what turned out to be a very long voyage finishing with a 20-minute galleon chase whilst we were full of treasure and desperately trying to hit an outpost to finish up the session. I’m really glad we listened to him!

:hfive:

During that chase I kinda wished we'd hung onto it just to sneak it aboard the other galleon when I got on board to drop their anchor.

Or that we hadn't left all those kegs behind, because they kept following directly behind us and were in perfect place for us to drop some off the back of the boat...

edit: we are good at pirates

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 11, 2021

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Master Twig posted:

But yeah, most of the time it's not worth it. They should be worth more gold.

They already are! At first they were like 800-1000 gold, but so many just ignored the crying chests, the rewards was tripled.

I'm my experience, the only people who really want to keep those things are people who want the title for selling 100 of them, which is "Hoarder of Treasured Tears". :v:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Merijn posted:

They already are! At first they were like 800-1000 gold, but so many just ignored the crying chests, the rewards was tripled.

I'm my experience, the only people who really want to keep those things are people who want the title for selling 100 of them, which is "Hoarder of Treasured Tears". :v:

This is the only title that could persuade me to take off Dashing Daredevil

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol i did a doubletake when i saw this sleeping birb

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It's a banana joke? :iiam:

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Merijn posted:

not bad

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Nice

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Can other people see your mermaid?

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!
Yes, but the glowing smoke shows only for you.

They can use your mermaid as well but it tales them back to their ship. Its a dead giveaway for boarders if you're chasing someone.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the mermaid puts ppl on high alert but once you touch your feet to their deck it will despawn

it's one of the most annoying parts of trying to sneak onto boats and it makes getting onto an experienced crew's ship very difficult

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Thief posted:

the mermaid puts ppl on high alert but once you touch your feet to their deck it will despawn

it's one of the most annoying parts of trying to sneak onto boats and it makes getting onto an experienced crew's ship very difficult

Yeah it sucks but I don't know what a better system would be.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
A tool that summons a mermaid (with a cooldown) could be better but might give too large of an advantage.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
They semi recently reduced the spawn time of the mermaid, iirc. You used to have a little more time to be sneaky, but it was pretty annoying if you weren't in pvp.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

it makes sense for accessibility to the 99% of ppl that play this game

seriously almost all the ppl encountered in this game are very casual so the mermaid is probably necessary as ive seen some even quit crews because the ship leaves the initial outpost without them

there's huge hidden underwater caverns and iirc one is even at mermaid's hideaway. they should add a mermaid faction that is like reapers where if if you max out the emissary it lets you disable the mermaid from spawning or something like that. i would totally trade that and having to die to return to the ship for a stealth buff. imo it would be balanced in a way that is fair and a good tradeoff of risk/reward

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
With rank 5 Reaper, can you see the location of emissary flags that have been taken from sunken ships, or only those ones currently attached to active emissary ships?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

With rank 5 Reaper, can you see the location of emissary flags that have been taken from sunken ships, or only those ones currently attached to active emissary ships?

Just ones attached to ships. Basically, any ship that has an emissary flag up will appear as a shadow on the map.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

My crew will head for an outpost ASAP if we have any mega-kegs (Stronghold or Ancient Black Powder, whatever) or a Chest of Sorrow. Those are the only things that will make us immediately head for a port.

I don't think there has ever been a time when my crew would go to a outpost to sell a mega-keg because they would always find some poor ship to detonate it on immediately.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

thank them for playing the game correctly

lol whenever ppl freak out over keg placement anywhere outside of range of an active volcano

stockpiling them into a sloop ftw especially when someone is chasing you

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

finally finished maxing out hunter's call thanks to double xp:

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
So there's basically nothing you can do if someone boards you with a lit mega keg, right? My cousin and I were chasing a galleon that just finished Fort of the Damned and both stood on the opposite end of the brig from the boarder and still got blasted off and weren't able to mermaid back in time to do anything about it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
hello I played the beta of this and it was fun but there wasn't gently caress all to do

now I am desperate for escapism and wondering how much has been added

edit: never mind I read back a couple pages and got my answer. Thank you for your time

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

kynikos posted:

So there's basically nothing you can do if someone boards you with a lit mega keg, right? My cousin and I were chasing a galleon that just finished Fort of the Damned and both stood on the opposite end of the brig from the boarder and still got blasted off and weren't able to mermaid back in time to do anything about it.

well, if you're REAL good and fast you can potentially kill the boarder by shooting him where the keg isn't and then picking up and defusing the mega

but usually if someone gets on board with a mega you're boned. it puts like a million holes in the ship and usually kills/knocks off some of the crew, so even if the boarder dies you won't be able to bail/repair in time

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

kynikos posted:

Not once they’re on your ship, no.

Since you were chasing a fort haul a good strategy would have been to grab a sniper rifle and take a few shots at the crow’s nest. Kegs usually get stored up there and once you’ve detonated it crippling and sinking the ship is a lot easier.

While you’re chasing someone it’s also a very good idea to have someone watching the ship ahead of you, so that if somebody does drop off the back with a mega keg you can snipe it in the water before they reach your ladder.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Coq au Nandos posted:

Not once they’re on your ship, no.

Since you were chasing a fort haul a good strategy would have been to grab a sniper rifle and take a few shots at the crow’s nest. Kegs usually get stored up there and once you’ve detonated it crippling and sinking the ship is a lot easier.

While you’re chasing someone it’s also a very good idea to have someone watching the ship ahead of you, so that if somebody does drop off the back with a mega keg you can snipe it in the water before they reach your ladder.

We sniped one from the water but guess they had three more kegs to work with. I have no idea where they had them on their ship as we dropped their masts and lit them up on a few passes. Oh well, I already stole and sold their Athena chest so we were just being greedy trying to get the rest.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
My friends and I just started playing this last night, and we have been enjoying that old MMO feel of creating your own fun. While on a tall tale mission, we spotted another ship in combat with a ghost ship. Seizing the moment, we beelined for them as fast as we could and, being entirely inexperienced in handling a galleon, ran directly into them at full speed, wind at our back. Just before the moment of impact, I shouted into the megaphone, "We're here to help!" and one of them replied, "What the gently caress!? Where did they come from??"

We reveled in our victory as both ships slipped beneath the waves. GOTY.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
The proper thing to do with a mega keg is board the enemy ship with it unlit and just make it a hostage situation. Either you give me your loot or we all die.

I realize this won't always work against a competent group of people.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
My normal crew and I have been avoiding kegs like the plague after some bad experiences - I feel like I’m learning that we need to just hide them on the ship somewhere and go for it. There’s definitely been some experiences where it would have been useful to drop a keg behind us to hit a chasing boat!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Last night we were running an Athena voyage and one of the islands we needed to hit up had a sloop at it. We approached quickly, but had no ill intent towards the sloop. The sloop dropped sails and started sailing away. As they sailed, we noticed things being dropped in the water and thought it might be kegs. But no. It was treasure. We harpooned a couple pieces, but let them flee. We figured they were trying to dump treasure to make us not chase them. We stopped at the island and started our mission, but they turned back around and came back towards the island. They started shooting at us.

So we fought back and sank them rather quickly. It was not much of a fight. They could have made friends with us and been nice, but no. They had to not trust us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Where can you hide a keg in your hold that won’t blow up easily?

I realize most keep it in the crow’s best but is
There a different location? On a Galleon I could see the captains quarters but wtf do you need a keg for in a galleon?