Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Alkydere posted:

I feel it's more of a Human Jenga Tower. Pull out as many as you can from the bottom while piling more and more work on the remaining elements.

Same end result: eventually poo poo just collapses.

poo poo is being compromised to a permanent end as we speak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

poo poo is being compromised to a permanent end as we speak

iirc, you work at Food Lion (aka yum roar) and they are turbofucked because they can't figure out how to stand out among competition in their larger regional markets but also can't compete with wally world in the rural markets.

get out before it gets worse.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Coasterphreak posted:

iirc, you work at Food Lion (aka yum roar) and they are turbofucked because they can't figure out how to stand out among competition in their larger regional markets but also can't compete with wally world in the rural markets.

get out before it gets worse.

I cannot confirm or deny the mammalian identity of my employer

But mostly I meant my particular store.

Every retail store has a problem with turnover. This fluctuates with wage, benefit, and bosses, but it's generally a poo poo job. Now, you shake out a little COVID and add a soupcon of micromanagement, and you have yourself a recipe for the staffing equivalent of a three-day old Mexican pizza.

When they consolidated all perishable departments into one, I left frozen. It was a great idea and I don't regret it. There's not a thing about frozen I miss, other than being able to sit in the freezer like Jack from The Shining when I decided to take breaks. Every now and then someone would come in to get something while I was sitting on a throne of ten pound bags of ice, reading, and they'd look at me like I was a ghost.

But I digress.

Since I left that position, we've been unable to find someone to take it over permanently on the basis that it sucks. I have received subtle nudges and praise about how I should go back. I have rejected these with less subtlety. The position that I once did by myself has now become two positions. I did it on thirty hours a week, give or take. It has now been taken over by two people, working a combined total of fifty, who struggle to get it done. The freezer is chaos. There is no room on the shelves. Nobody can find poo poo. Maintenance walks are impossible. The two people doing it now are absolutely poo poo at it.

This is funny to me.

The one saving grace was that our dairy person was reliable, if overwhelmed. She worked hard. She stayed late. She stressed herself out worrying about her job, and she was grateful any time someone helped her. Naturally, they drove her absolutely insane until she hated the job. When I heard they were getting close to writing her up over things largely outside her control, I told her.

She changed departments same day.

Oh, and our department manager has now taken a leave of absence after having it out with the store manager.

The "if it bleeds, we can kill it' school of management is proving to be of suboptimal performance

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
Saw this on the list of meats that needed to come off the deli counter that day and had a good giggle

(it's assorted meats)

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

no that very clearly says assmeats

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Lots of holes still at various places in the stores. My soda (diet Sunkist orange) has been out of stock for months now, but that's probably due to some aluminum shortage (Dr Pepper was also gone for weeks).

I wonder, will places see huge surges the days leading up to Biden taking office?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Cowslips Warren posted:

Lots of holes still at various places in the stores. My soda (diet Sunkist orange) has been out of stock for months now, but that's probably due to some aluminum shortage (Dr Pepper was also gone for weeks).

I wonder, will places see huge surges the days leading up to Biden taking office?

What does Biden have to do with it?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The theory is that the Red Tribe is convinced Biden will order everyone in the entire United States on house arrest an hour after he's inaugurated, so there may be a gigantic hoarding orgy in the few days leading up to it, at least in Red areas.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah it's not so much "what does President Biden have to do with it" Which is...nothing.

And more "What do the paranoid dumbasses that make us the most miserable have to do with it?" Which is...everything.

Fake Edit: Also it's snowing down here in Texas. Considering most of our workforce commutes from out of town I'm half expecting a "Don't come in" text.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Remember what happened with Obama at... pretty much any stage. Every time Obama sneezed it was time to hoard ammo.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

E: Ah gently caress

I loving hate that I'm scheduled 1230am after a day off because ugh whens the day off?

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 11, 2021

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The one saving grace was that our dairy person was reliable, if overwhelmed. She worked hard. She stayed late. She stressed herself out worrying about her job, and she was grateful any time someone helped her. Naturally, they drove her absolutely insane until she hated the job. When I heard they were getting close to writing her up over things largely outside her control, I told her.

She changed departments same day.
This is a good move. When I was 2ic for night fill my manager got written up for underperforming when a new policy came in to reduce our budget 30%. Was doing 13+ hour days on a shoe string budget to keep up and it was awful to see.
Back then I was still interested in management so I had an alert for nightfill positions. Got one for the store we were working and and alerted him they'd already put his job up for applications.

He thought he'd be fine and that they'd see how hard he works to get the job done.

Was awful to see and made me sick to my stomach. Made me realise retail might not be for me.
My store manager absolutely loved me and was keen to move me up but I knew as soon as I hit that position and being utterly incapable of running things any different with no money it would change pretty quick.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Butt Detective posted:

Saw this on the list of meats that needed to come off the deli counter that day and had a good giggle

(it's assorted meats)

Clearly its slang for pork butt. Also this hoarding thing is dumb, is that why no place has mozzie sticks? I got an air fryer and it does mozzie sticks amazing and there loving isn't any anywhere I go. I'm about ready to buy some string cheese, panko and eggs and make my own drat mozzie sticks

Today I had a customer me and a coworker guff for not knowing how to pick "the best" dragon fruit. I'm sorry I'm not intimate with a fruit from vietnam that costs 8 loving bucks a pound. And each one weighs no less then a pound and a quarter. I decided to google it and all I'm getting is "make sure its a consistent color and not brown or shriveled". Oh so it should just look ripe but not rotten, got it. What gets me is that it isn't even "how do I know its edible", but "what is ~*~the best~*~". Like we stock a bunch of sub par produce but only if you know this one weird trick will you get one that actually tastes good. Not everything is complicated, its loving fruit. It just GROWS that way. I had a jackass asking me how to pick oranges. Buddy, if its not rotten its good. Trust me. Its a loving rough skinned sphere with a soft juicy interior, its not a loving Viper GT, you don't need to do a 132 point inspection.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Leal posted:

Today I had a customer me and a coworker guff for not knowing how to pick "the best" dragon fruit. I'm sorry I'm not intimate with a fruit from vietnam

Pitaya are native to the Americas. But yeah, I remember the same kind of questions used to drive the produce guy absolutely nuts when I worked at Safeway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dragon fruit isn't even good. It looks cool but tastes bland af.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Tastes like the smell of a wet potato imo

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
I work Wednesday through Sunday at a grocery store on the loading dock. Had Monday and Tuesday off forever. I get a second job and tell my boss I absolutely can't work on Monday and Tuesday at all any more.

Would anyone like to guess what days I'm scheduled this week? :downs:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love sitting next to a radio with no real responsibility to answer it while I can listen in to everything going wrong.

"Smartpac 2 is down. Maintenance says ETA to fix is 30-40 minutes."
"Copy. What's the issue?"
"...The gripper fell out."
"...Come again?"
"The entire gripper arm fell out of the machine and went down the line before anyone noticed."
"...Roger..."

Co-worker wondered why I was dying from laughter.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Skelaboo posted:

I work Wednesday through Sunday at a grocery store on the loading dock. Had Monday and Tuesday off forever. I get a second job and tell my boss I absolutely can't work on Monday and Tuesday at all any more.

Would anyone like to guess what days I'm scheduled this week? :downs:

They want you to quit...

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

spankmeister posted:

Dragon fruit isn't even good. It looks cool but tastes bland af.

It's really good if you get it ripe where it's natively grown

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

number 1 snake fan posted:

It's really good if you get it ripe where it's natively grown

This. I had one in Arizona that blew my mind, but every one I've gotten here where I live has been garbage

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Another person in my department quit yesterday. :lovebird:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Leal posted:

What gets me is that it isn't even "how do I know its edible", but "what is ~*~the best~*~". Like we stock a bunch of sub par produce but only if you know this one weird trick will you get one that actually tastes good. Not everything is complicated, its loving fruit. It just GROWS that way. I had a jackass asking me how to pick oranges. Buddy, if its not rotten its good. Trust me. Its a loving rough skinned sphere with a soft juicy interior, its not a loving Viper GT, you don't need to do a 132 point inspection.
Just repeat after Alton Brown for any and all produce advice: feels heavy for its size, no obvious blemishes, consistent color. Boom now you're the loving Fruit God. All hail Leal, Knower of Produce! :worship:

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

Just repeat after Alton Brown for any and all produce advice: feels heavy for its size, no obvious blemishes, consistent color. Boom now you're the loving Fruit God. All hail Leal, Knower of Produce! :worship:

*Picks up watermelon, taps solidly with one finger. Tries to look thoughtful. Taps another watermelon, nods. Hands melon to customer and walks away without saying anything.*

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
My store in Michigan sells whole Durian in certain seasons. I really wonder what the produce guys are telling people now.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Skelaboo posted:

My store in Michigan sells whole Durian in certain seasons. I really wonder what the produce guys are telling people now.

The ranker the stank, the better the taste?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Skelaboo posted:

"It's the latest crop from Flint!"

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Waiting for my ride home.

There is still a customer in the store.

We closed 20 minutes ago.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kilonum posted:

Uhhhh, why haven't they been tossed out by a boot in their rear end politely and firmly asked to leave?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I allow precisely 2 minutes between making my closing call and going up to each customer and instructing them to line up immediately. After that anyone still shopping when I make my second loop of the store gets the good old 'I'm going to count to 10, and if you're not standing in a checkout line by then I'm confiscating your groceries and kicking you out.'

It's remarkable how much overlap there is between parenting strategies for toddlers and customer management.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Toddlers follow instructions better tbh.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I used to hate still seeing customers walking around the store after close when I did Sundays, but that was when I finished at 5 pm. I finish at 4 pm on Sundays now, which is also when the store closes, so it means I can leave out of the front doors after clocking out/getting my stuff instead of having to wait forever for someone to open the back door.

Probably sucks for the people on checkouts/the people who can't do their other jobs until all the customers are gone and we're locked up, but oh well

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Kilonum posted:

Why haven't you started reading the script for Bee Movie over the PA

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
When I worked at Petsmart ages ago, we were told we couldn't ask customers to leave, or even tell them we were closed. However, an assistant manager did approve passive aggressive service: we would double-team them within seconds, asking if they needed help. Over. And over. After the fourth time usually they'd get the hint.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My store has the same thing
I do a thing where i announce to my friends " boy I cant wait to go home seeing as how we are closing soon" slightly above my inside speaking voice.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

When I worked at Petsmart ages ago, we were told we couldn't ask customers to leave, or even tell them we were closed. However, an assistant manager did approve passive aggressive service: we would double-team them within seconds, asking if they needed help. Over. And over. After the fourth time usually they'd get the hint.

Does that include special dates like Thanksgiving?

Fastest shopping trip I did was this year when in my exhaustion I went to HEB forgetting that it was Thanksgiving and the place was likely gonna be closed early (in hind sight I'm surprised they were open at all). The call "We are closing in 16 minutes" woke me the gently caress up and I managed to get everything I needed, through the massive checkout lines and was just stepping out the door as whoever was on the PA announced the store was now closed.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Extreme customer service is the best way to deal with customer fuckery. What are they going to complain about? ‘They tried to help me too much.’ The bigger assholes they were the more Customer Service Smarm I’d start to pour on.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I didn't need to do much to get people out the store. The crazy lady would be harassing them from 15 minutes before closing to hurry up and buy their stuff.
When they decided to come and place a delivery order at 5 minutes to, however, "oops the system has already been shut down".

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Two days late but follow up to the late customer

She lost her phone in the store and one of the two managers who was closing had to help her find it. They find it, she apparently tried to give the manager a $20, he refused, she tried every trick to give it to him with no success.

She ended up trying to give it to me in an envelope to give to him while I waited for my ride, I refused on the grounds that I won't see him until Monday. (A small lie, I saw him the next day but he had texted me a warning).

Corporate is ruthless on the "no tips" policy and will fire you for a first violation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Do you have charity donation bins or something in the store you could refer people to instead perhaps - that’s what I’d do. ‘I appreciate the gesture, but it’s really not appropriate for me to accept cash from customers, why not make a donation to the children’s hospital instead?’